Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
has he done anything incredibly stupid as a senator? i imagine he's is still incredibly popular and will win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

has he done anything incredibly stupid as a senator? i imagine he's is still incredibly popular and will win?

Lol he's a Christian dominionist. As conservative as they come, whether genuinely or as pandering to his base.

He's the first one to officially announce a candidacy. Still have to find out if Duterte's daughter or right-hand man is running, and if the liberals will run anyone.

Pac is definitely in the top 2 likeliest next Presidents regardless.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao the lengths the blurb goes to avoid saying communist

what would the narrative be in the west if people democratically decide to reform the USSR? "communist hordes seize power in non-violent coup!".

voting away neo-liberalism is obviously impossible

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

what would the narrative be in the west if people democratically decide to reform the USSR? "communist hordes seize power in non-violent coup!".

that is some wild-rear end optimism but i'd wager

-not show anything at all
-do the exact same they've been doing for decades

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rutibex posted:

Something something genocide something something denial

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
stalin 2: electric goolagoo

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So this Mammy guy wants to be the Philippines version of Imran Khan?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Sep 19, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know anything about Imran Khan's politics.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know anything about Imran Khan's politics.

He is kind of a low profile populist. He was a celebrity playboy type after he retired from sport. By the time he got serious about politic he swung to conservative and married a woman he had never seen the face of. In Pakistan politic the military and the intelligent service has huge say on who get to be PM and get to peacefully serve the full term. He was not from any traditional regional fraction and was seen as someone the Army could work with. I don't think his anti corruption rhetoric is all that important. Overall I think he is a good PM for Pakistan despite he has not accomplished a lot.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the biden administration is doing everything they can to help putin win right

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/drstuartgilmour/status/1439514890020868099?s=21

Interesting thread which compares incarceration statistics for minorities in China, the US, Australia, and Canada

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

comedyblissoption posted:

no, Putin isn’t in any danger

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

nice whataboutism from a no blue check rando account, buddy

have a month off

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I thought Putin was retiring or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

again??

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

stephenthinkpad posted:

So this Mammy guy wants to be the Philippines version of Imran Khan?

I would expect more psycho-christian lovely from manny but yeah pretty much a safe and relatively popular guy for the role.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This Russian election is for the lower house of parliament or whatever. So it's more about party maintaining control than Putin. I think.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Red and Black posted:

https://twitter.com/drstuartgilmour/status/1439514890020868099?s=21

Interesting thread which compares incarceration statistics for minorities in China, the US, Australia, and Canada

drat canada

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
lmao that there's apparently a canadian "xinjiang detention documentation project"

yeah sure document that just dont document what you find digging up the yards of canadian schools

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Thank you to USA for taking all the heat on genocide settler colonialism.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Southpaugh posted:

I would expect more psycho-christian lovely from manny but yeah pretty much a safe and relatively popular guy for the role.

Don't worry, Imran Khan has plenty of psycho-muslim poo poo. My guy married his spiritual adviser and many people think there's a park-esque situation going on.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ToxicAcne posted:

Don't worry, Imran Khan has plenty of psycho-muslim poo poo. My guy married his spiritual adviser and many people think there's a park-esque situation going on.

He's basically been conceding everything to the islamists.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

no they're probably funding the communist opposition

especially since this guy is being branded as a navalny type figure lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I thought Putin was retiring or something

At some point in the 2030s...maybe.

Yeah, this election wouldn’t changed much beyond possibly the Communists getting slightly more seats in the Duma. United Russia is unlikely to lose its majority.

Also, the election has gotten mostly a shrug from people, I would expect the turnout to be pretty mediocre but I haven’t seen a real surge of navalny related movement either.

Btw tell me if anyone has questions about contemporary (September 2021) Moscow/Russia because I am back in town. Also, almost no cares about COVID and masking is barely a concept, it is pretty much 2019.

(Also I doubt the US is funding by he KPRF at this point considering how anti-western they are and how much the West hates them in return. I think it is just that Navalny is fading into the background and they don’t have much of a plan B, hoping the Communists win is desperate.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Sep 19, 2021

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Sounds like there was a cringe conference

https://twitter.com/sandraXmon/status/1438705809953894402

Thread
https://twitter.com/brianhioe/status/1439215054834921472
https://twitter.com/hezbolsonaro/status/1439486849077022727

Maximo Roboto has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Sep 19, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ah yes the Hong Kong freedom movement

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

As far as I can tell the whole population of Russia consists of Vladimir Putin and Alexey Navalny. At least that's what I get from watching TV here.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the people behind US foreign policy are almost certainly stupid enough to think that a communist president of russia would destroy russia for decades because communism doesn't work lol. the problem with the cold war narrative of communist incompetence for the US is that a generation on, all of the people in power actually believe it

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

He's been an insane fascist for a while and has totally gotten away with it because he fought the mouthy black guy whites really hate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainACAB posted:

He's been an insane fascist for a while and has totally gotten away with it because he fought the mouthy black guy whites really hate.

People are gonna gas themselves up to convince each other that voting for Pacquiao will be necessary lesser-evilism to stop another Duterte and it's gonna drive me insane

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

ah yes the Hong Kong freedom movement

You can tell those tweets are coming from a fair and balanced view because 1 guy is associated with a group that wants to decolonize hong kong, and the lady frequently retweets milk tea alliance stuff.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

what's up with Myanmar and the CDM lately? Are the military actually going to hold elections, or have they settled in for the long hold?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You can tell those tweets are coming from a fair and balanced view because 1 guy is associated with a group that wants to decolonize hong kong, and the lady frequently retweets milk tea alliance stuff.

lol who cares, cringe is cringe and funny is funny

https://twitter.com/brianhioe/status/1439250225663668234
https://twitter.com/brianhioe/status/1439250864116408326

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

gradenko_2000 posted:

People are gonna gas themselves up to convince each other that voting for Pacquiao will be necessary lesser-evilism to stop another Duterte and it's gonna drive me insane

He's literally Duterte's best friend and has been a staunch political ally so I don't know if even libs can do that. More likely they just ignore it like they always have.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It was pure Sinophobia that prevented Lin Hua from being the next covid cure over ivermectin

And that one actually did work for SARS!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ardennes posted:

At some point in the 2030s...maybe.

Yeah, this election wouldn’t changed much beyond possibly the Communists getting slightly more seats in the Duma. United Russia is unlikely to lose its majority.

Also, the election has gotten mostly a shrug from people, I would expect the turnout to be pretty mediocre but I haven’t seen a real surge of navalny related movement either.

Btw tell me if anyone has questions about contemporary (September 2021) Moscow/Russia because I am back in town. Also, almost no cares about COVID and masking is barely a concept, it is pretty much 2019.

(Also I doubt the US is funding by he KPRF at this point considering how anti-western they are and how much the West hates them in return. I think it is just that Navalny is fading into the background and they don’t have much of a plan B, hoping the Communists win is desperate.)

didnt he announce he has like parkinson's or something tho?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean I assume that if the communists start looking strong they'll start mysteriously killing themselves via either plutonium or throwing themselves off balconies

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

fwiw the german government thought helping Lenin was smart af

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grapplejack posted:

I mean I assume that if the communists start looking strong they'll start mysteriously killing themselves via either plutonium or throwing themselves off balconies
Another suicide with 15 bullets in the back from three different guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1439373819504775170