Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

Bennett's pretty good, yeah. He's got that... sleazy on purpose character to talk about the more egregious fanservice but I've never felt like that was a character we were supposed to like?

I still remember Sage getting kinda emotional talking about the last OG Tenchi series/movie/whichever.

At this point Bennett's been doing videos for over a decade so his Suave and 90s Guy characters are legacy holdovers from the Channel Awesome format. I dont mind them too much, to be honest. It's clear he uses them to poke fun at certain mindsets about trashy anime like pointless fanservice or ultraviolence and he does have a point. I also like that he's exasperated by their manchild personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

It feels like Mother's Basement was guilty of the 'this is problematic and bad' in series he didn't like but was all 'eh, whatcha gonna do and sometimes it's funny!' when it was in series he does like. Then there's Gigguk who doesn't even bother with the first part.

Yeah, you can't trust his unreserved recommendations without keeping in mind that if his description is twigging your "creepy anime bullshit" alarms, it's probably there and he's probably ignoring it. (The only exception is his video on My Next Life as a Villainess, which is a cute romcom, but he felt the need to remark on the boobs of two of the 15 year old girl characters for some reason wtf.) Action animes, slice of life stuff, sad dramas, are fine. And if he's doing his "best of this season" thing, he's forming his opinion off the first 1-2 episodes, and you can't guarantee it won't turn to poo poo later, but that's a risk of any ongoing story.

Kaiser Beams does great reviews of retro animes and OVAs, mostly from the 70s/80/90s:

https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserBeamz

Like if you've ever wanted any context for the anime in that teaser video with the KMFDM song, he's talked about a few of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWo5rlVO6hY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if an anime becomes super bad geoff will absolutely do a video about it. which he's done for darling in the franxx (was it ever good?), wonder egg priority and promised neverland s2

again, he's not the worst, he will call poo poo out, but he also has a high tolerance for fanservice and will say dumb poo poo like "____ is best girl" and he looooooves to say sakuga

i kinda wish proZD would do anime reviews but i get that it'd be a potential conflict of interest or put him at risk of not getting work if he negatively reviews anime carried by licensors he's worked with

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

if an anime becomes super bad geoff will absolutely do a video about it. which he's done for darling in the franxx (was it ever good?), wonder egg priority and promised neverland s2

again, he's not the worst, he will call poo poo out, but he also has a high tolerance for fanservice and will say dumb poo poo like "____ is best girl" and he looooooves to say sakuga

i kinda wish proZD would do anime reviews but i get that it'd be a potential conflict of interest or put him at risk of not getting work if he negatively reviews anime carried by licensors he's worked with

Yeah, I'm of the same mind with Mother's Basement. If you want a vibe check on recent animes he's at least capable of pointing out absolutely gross poo poo and good-to-decent things, and he'll do retrospectives when things he thought were cool initially betray him. I suppose it says something about the absolute state of things when someone's weeb blinders only occasionally cause issues in their anime recs.

ProZD will tweet about anime sometimes, and it would be neat if he could do a full review channel too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The 2000s-2010s softcore pedo OVA thing was a crisis of the anime industry's own making.

You can create a locked-in demographic of perpetual and desperate consumers if you systematically destroy that demographic's ability to enjoy or care about anything "normal". With the aid of Japan's soul crushing expectations for adulthood and the economic crash there in the 90s, anime studios used waifu marketing and the direct market to manufacture pedophiles out of otherwise normal nerds, and then provide the only material that wouldn't get them sent to jail.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Just here to second that Kaiser Beamz rec, he's got good stuff. Great channel for learning about retro series/for anyone needing a nostalgia bomb

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Saber's video on the stupid situation with ridiculous mobile game ads on YouTube that get away with content YouTube won't let creators get anywhere near to.

https://youtu.be/KsKlfN9phAs

He's been holding this rage in for a while.

I third Kaiser Beams and Bennett. They're both great in their own way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kaiser Beamz and Kenny Lauderdale are the greats for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpoAlR5Cuuo&t=1s

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

I mean he made a video that by the title seems real positive about the child grooming isekai, so I think he only standards of "becomes super bad" is the animation looking bad or the lore having plot holes.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

MB absolutely loves the trope of “horrible nerd is punished for being a horrible nerd and forced to become a better person”. He can’t stop talking about that aspect of Re:Zero which by all accounts is apparently a decent show, but then you get to stuff like Mushoku Tensei, where it’s clear his bias is causing him to cut it way too much slack.

That show, for those unaware, pays some lip service to the idea of its horrible main character redeeming himself and that’s the thing MB latches onto in his video but it’s basically just another isekai power fantasy with added child-groping, using the “excuse” that the main character is also in a child’s body due to reincarnation.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

endocriminologist posted:

do any of these people talk about dinosaurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-3bImbSJCM

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
These are old dinosaur videos but I watched them a while ago and felt very SEEN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W47VRGG6ogE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCumws5dsnw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RPXI_AW0gs

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bakeneko posted:

Re:Zero which by all accounts is apparently a decent show,

Re:Zero is an interesting show because it takes the power fantasy protagonist and then mercilessly kicks the poo poo out of him when he expects the world to bend to his will.

At the same time, it does still paint him in a bit of a sympathetic light while acknowledging he's a horribly flawed person. I find his character makes the show a rather hard watch because his growth is realistically quite slow and he's a stubborn shithead.

There's also of course a huge portion of the fanbase that completely miss the point.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 18, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That Cat Valentine video is better than the Quinton iCarly video.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bakeneko posted:

MB absolutely loves the trope of “horrible nerd is punished for being a horrible nerd and forced to become a better person”. He can’t stop talking about that aspect of Re:Zero which by all accounts is apparently a decent show, but then you get to stuff like Mushoku Tensei, where it’s clear his bias is causing him to cut it way too much slack.

That show, for those unaware, pays some lip service to the idea of its horrible main character redeeming himself and that’s the thing MB latches onto in his video but it’s basically just another isekai power fantasy with added child-groping, using the “excuse” that the main character is also in a child’s body due to reincarnation.

I'm almost afraid to ask but did he like Redo of Healer?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no he hated redo of healer. and goblin slayer. but he also put shield hero in his 'ones to watch' video for winter 2019 so lol

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

NikkolasKing posted:

If anybody is interested, this is a siterip of the best Xenogears/Saga site ever in English, with tons of dev interviews and details of how XG and XS were made, along with analyses of the games and their characters.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6VYabIvxqaYR0k4VktJNW9TSGs/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-mIexhk5k76ztNhDCmfYyBA

Downloaded; you rock.

secretly best girl posted:

And it was retconned heavily in the Japan-only DS retelling of the first two games. Also I'm still incredibly appalled by how bad the anime adaptation was, throwing out a whole bunch of things for no reason that were... kinda load-bearing plot elements.

(I have spent too much of 2020-2021 with the Xenosaga games as the research gal for a podcast and we're all loving morons for taking this too seriously.)

yooooo I cannot wait to listen to this; Xenosaga was my fuckin' jam in high school

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

MonsieurChoc posted:

i enjoyed the cat valentine video. i dont think breakdowns of nick sitcoms are ever going to be my bag but the presentation of this one is much more palatable and includes some really interesting info at the end catching up on the actors now.

e: i just remembered this weird piece of fred trivia

https://twitter.com/tanter_banter/status/1370542318491639808?lang=en

fun hater fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 19, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

no he hated redo of healer. and goblin slayer. but he also put shield hero in his 'ones to watch' video for winter 2019 so lol

Oh, the healing power of slavery one. Yeah. Swing and a miss, Geoff.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PEIFKPPoE

Let's Game It Out makes a glorious return to Satisfactory and the way he solves his nuclear waste problem is deranged even by his standards.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pigbuster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PEIFKPPoE

Let's Game It Out makes a glorious return to Satisfactory and the way he solves his nuclear waste problem is deranged even by his standards.

The cutaway for that final detonation is probably one of the darkest gags he's ever done.

And that's saying something.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

MonsieurChoc posted:

Absolutely baffling to me that Quinton didn’t use Jenny Nicholson’s The Vampire Diaries video as a blueprint for his iCarly videos.

I feel doing dry recaps of nearly every episode instead of focusing on a few talking points (characters, reoccurring themes, problematic poo poo that didn’t age well, etc.) is creating more work for yourself and your editor.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

NikkolasKing posted:

Also can we talk about podcasts here? Are you online creators?

I wanna listen to all these and maybe offer comments if you don't mind.

If this is a place for talking about podcasts, then this is where I mention that the p'cast I cohost, Flash In The Pan, has a new episode, a deep dive into the rise and abrupt finale of early webseries Bonus Stage: https://flashinthepancast.com/2021/09/15/episode-65-non-euclidean-joel-and-the-timecube-hullabaloo-feat-vilemoon/

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Well, I'm a little nervous about this, but if anyone's willing to offer feedback I also have a podcast about videogames (specifically plots) called Fallin' Thru Plotholes. I've been doing this for...five months now? Something like that and while I've worked out some kinks (the earlier episodes are way too long) I wouldn't mind if someone could give a listen to some of the more recent episodes and tell me how bad they are. It's at https://ftp.podbean.com or on Apple Podcasts/Google Play/Youtube.

Also, if this isn't the thing to do in this thread or on this subforum, please feel free to tell me to stop, I'd really rather not be annoying and all.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

OneMoreTime posted:

Well, I'm a little nervous about this, but if anyone's willing to offer feedback I also have a podcast about videogames (specifically plots) called Fallin' Thru Plotholes. I've been doing this for...five months now? Something like that and while I've worked out some kinks (the earlier episodes are way too long) I wouldn't mind if someone could give a listen to some of the more recent episodes and tell me how bad they are. It's at https://ftp.podbean.com or on Apple Podcasts/Google Play/Youtube.

Also, if this isn't the thing to do in this thread or on this subforum, please feel free to tell me to stop, I'd really rather not be annoying and all.

hey, definitely the right subforum, maybe the wrong thread? we occasionally talk about podcasts in here but a lot of us are only here for videos.

You might want to try posting this in the pinned "Pimp Your Podcast Megathread" or at least... give us something about your podcast? why would someone listen to it? so far the only thing you've told me about it is that the first few episodes are too long and you think it's bad and friend? that's not a great sales pitch.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Gertrude Perkins posted:

If this is a place for talking about podcasts, then this is where I mention that the p'cast I cohost, Flash In The Pan, has a new episode, a deep dive into the rise and abrupt finale of early webseries Bonus Stage: https://flashinthepancast.com/2021/09/15/episode-65-non-euclidean-joel-and-the-timecube-hullabaloo-feat-vilemoon/

I dropped everything to listen to this. Bonus Stage is the flash series I have the most nostalgia for by a pretty big margin.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask but did he like Redo of Healer?

Something like Redo of Healer is just the unironic power fantasy not the "chance to become a better person falling out of the sky" fantasy

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

mycot posted:

Something like Redo of Healer is just the unironic power fantasy not the "chance to become a better person falling out of the sky" fantasy
I mean they're both unironic power fantasies. One just has a single degree of separation to help Basement's cognitive dissonance. Given that you know grooming children isn't becoming a better person.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
The Bonus Stage joke I remember most is when Joel says offhand, "we're pulling out all the stops." Cut to a pile of bent stop signs in the corner, and then Phil says "You realize that's a serious crime?"

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Bonus Stage was a big thing for me as a kid in love with flash animation. That ending bummed me out

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean they're both unironic power fantasies. One just has a single degree of separation to help Basement's cognitive dissonance. Given that you know grooming children isn't becoming a better person.

I'm not saying one is less of a fantasy than the other, it's just that people seem to forget that something can just be the OG power fantasy

Mokinokaro posted:

Saber's video on the stupid situation with ridiculous mobile game ads on YouTube that get away with content YouTube won't let creators get anywhere near to.

https://youtu.be/KsKlfN9phAs

He's been holding this rage in for a while.

I third Kaiser Beams and Bennett. They're both great in their own way.

What in the world is with the Kazuya Mishima hairdo guy that seems to be in half of these ads?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mycot posted:

I'm not saying one is less of a fantasy than the other, it's just that people seem to forget that something can just be the OG power fantasy

Or I could have just wondered if it was a gross show MB liked.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I don't think a single video I've seen has had a single positive thing to say about it, outside of hehtrigurdgotem contrarians and the most dire form of coomers, it seems pretty reviled for being such pure dogshit.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

with goblin slayer, or shield hero or jobless reincarnation you can (if you're a lovely person) reconcile most of the really bad poo poo away. "oh, the rape in goblin slayer totally isn't sexualized and used horribly, it's just a dark and gritty world". "oh the false rape accusation and slavery is good themes in shield hero aren't that big a deal, everyone gets their comeuppance and he doesn't treat them like slaves anyways" "the MC being a weirdo who continually wants to have sex with children in jobless reincarnation is fine because he grows as a character!"

redo of healer doesn't really have that because there's just...so much. The protag just wants to hurt the people who hurt him, and he does so with literal murder and rape. There's no fig leaf to hide behind, it's just out there in a way the other series aren't willing to be

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Redo of Healer is I Spit on Your Grave for future sex offenders.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

with goblin slayer, or shield hero or jobless reincarnation you can (if you're a lovely person) reconcile most of the really bad poo poo away. "oh, the rape in goblin slayer totally isn't sexualized and used horribly, it's just a dark and gritty world". "oh the false rape accusation and slavery is good themes in shield hero aren't that big a deal, everyone gets their comeuppance and he doesn't treat them like slaves anyways" "the MC being a weirdo who continually wants to have sex with children in jobless reincarnation is fine because he grows as a character!"

redo of healer doesn't really have that because there's just...so much. The protag just wants to hurt the people who hurt him, and he does so with literal murder and rape. There's no fig leaf to hide behind, it's just out there in a way the other series aren't willing to be

I don't think that ignoring or looking past the gross stuff in a show necessarily makes you a bad person

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow, these isekai series are going full masks off these days, huh? I don't follow anime much so when I read about these lovely isekai I just pull my collar and go "yikes!"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Saagonsa posted:

I don't think that ignoring or looking past the gross stuff in a show necessarily makes you a bad person

the point is less "looking past the bad stuff in a series is inherently bad" than "excusing the bad stuff in a series is". You can like a bad series without also going online and talking about how the rape wasn't really that bad

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jimbot posted:

Wow, these isekai series are going full masks off these days, huh? I don't follow anime much so when I read about these lovely isekai I just pull my collar and go "yikes!"

Every other concept was taken dozens of times over, all we had left in the "lovely light novels to make into lovely anime adaptations" document was Rapemolester: The Torturing, sorry.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

The point is less "looking past the bad stuff in a series is inherently bad" than "excusing the bad stuff in a series is". You can like a bad series without also going online and talking about how the rape wasn't really that bad

It also doesn't help when you have a lot of people that will defend even the worst trash to the end by dishonestly trying to present it as something it's not or as to why they actually like it, when it's the same thing the entire way through.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

At least there's My Next Life as a Villainess and from reading the topic the second season turned out really good. Looking forward to checking that out when it gets a dub.