Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Adder Moray posted:

You're talking about Tenya. I'm referring to his older brother Tensei.

Oh wow I even googled the name first to double check and it looked alright :v:

Wasn't his brother the super rich owner of a private army or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Funky Valentine posted:

So yes, his philosophy is hot nonsense.

His actions are hot nonsense, because killing/crippling heroes doesn't make the world a better place. His philosophy on heroism makes plenty of sense, his philosophy on what's good for society does not.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Shere posted:

His actions are hot nonsense, because killing/crippling heroes doesn't make the world a better place. His philosophy on heroism makes plenty of sense, his philosophy on what's good for society does not.

Didn't the villains point out that every city Stain visits sees a reduction in crime as the heroes that remain shape up after his visit?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Feliday Melody posted:

Didn't the villains point out that every city Stain visits sees a reduction in crime as the heroes that remain shape up after his visit?

Or he kills criminals just as often as heroes but makes less of a noise about it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Like all good villains, Stain has a point. That doesn't mean his actions or views are necessarily reasonable or proportionate, but they're born from a basic observation of the world that is pretty obviously correct.

And it can't just be pedantry, otherwise the world wouldn't simply categorise quirk-based criminality as Villainy and use it as a reason to not address a single thing wrong with society, the entire League of Villains being the perfect example.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Stain isn't wrong about what the ideal of a "true hero" is, it's that his bar starts at that and what he does to anyone who doesn't clear it is wrong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Stain doesn't have much of a nose for nuance

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

Stain doesn't have much of a nose for nuance

He'll never sniff out the contradictions in his thinking.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feliday Melody posted:

In conclusion, Thanos Stain did nothing wrong.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Feliday Melody posted:

He had sidekicks, and yes he and his family are rich

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ingenium was a cool dude. He's friends with my bud The Hauler, and is willing to look the other way in regards to Vigilantism if the person doing it is a good guy.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Feliday Melody posted:

He doesn't own a private army any more than Endeavor does. Tensei runs (ran?) the Idaten hero agency, which has a lot of other heroes and sidekicks and support staff working for it. I guess in theory you could argue that that's like having a private army but in practical terms, it'd be like saying the owner of the local karate school has a private army because they have employees capable of beating other people up. It's technically true but man, they just work there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
In Vigilantes it's explained a bit more where Tensei in particular thinks that people with quirks that aren't prime-time hero stuff can still be good in coordinated teams so he has a shitload of sidekicks. For bigger operations he has "Pit Teams" of sidekicks who basically provide him with backup.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah Ingenium's entire philosophy is sort of the exact opposite of the All Might approach of "one impossibly powerful dude can solve everything solo". He hires tons of people who would otherwise be middling to ineffectual and has them coordinate their efforts to accomplish things and support heavier hitters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So Tensei should've gotten OFA is what you're saying. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

He doesn't own a private army any more than Endeavor does. Tensei runs (ran?) the Idaten hero agency, which has a lot of other heroes and sidekicks and support staff working for it. I guess in theory you could argue that that's like having a private army but in practical terms, it'd be like saying the owner of the local karate school has a private army because they have employees capable of beating other people up. It's technically true but man, they just work there.

drat, we had a personal army character in here and they killed him so fast. Imagine if Twice had used his powers for good and like 70 of his clones went to medical school.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RareAcumen posted:

drat, we had a personal army character in here and they killed him so fast. Imagine if Twice had used his powers for good and like 70 of his clones went to medical school.

"Nothing to worry about, it's completely benign. Hate to say it but it's definitely terminal!"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Personally I want the guy doing my triple bypass to have a 0% chance of spontaneously melting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TheHan posted:

Personally I want the guy doing my triple bypass to have a 0% chance of spontaneously melting.

This probably wouldn't be an issue, unless you're concerned that someone is going to bust into the operating theater and physically assault your surgeon.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Yeah it's not like a surgeon would finish an operation themselves after breaking their arm in the middle of a operation. However the gently caress that would happen.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Like all good villains, Stain has a point. That doesn't mean his actions or views are necessarily reasonable or proportionate, but they're born from a basic observation of the world that is pretty obviously correct.

And it can't just be pedantry, otherwise the world wouldn't simply categorise quirk-based criminality as Villainy and use it as a reason to not address a single thing wrong with society, the entire League of Villains being the perfect example.

He's not a good villain, because his point is "people should work for free, actually", which isn't a very good point imo.

The main problem with MHA is that it has no good villains. Except for Gentle Criminal and La Brava.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mymla posted:

He's not a good villain, because his point is "people should work for free, actually", which isn't a very good point imo.

The main problem with MHA is that it has no good villains. Except for Gentle Criminal and La Brava.

Nah it's "if money or fame is the primary reason you're in this line of work, you're not a hero"

I mean, cmon, All-Might is the richest hero and accepts paychecks-a-plenty and Stain still likes him

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Doesn't All Might's money come from merchandising and stuff? He's not exactly saying fork over a million yen or he'll let the bus full of orphans fall off the cliff

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I think the show is pretty clear that being heroic means selfless sacrifice to protect others and the further you deviate from that the worse you are.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Mymla posted:

Except for Gentle Criminal and La Brava.
Gentle Criminal is 31 flavors of ain't poo poo.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Doesn't All Might's money come from merchandising and stuff? He's not exactly saying fork over a million yen or he'll let the bus full of orphans fall off the cliff

Heroes get paid based on the number of orphans they save, and all might saved the most orphans.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ok so Stain's belief isn't "heroes should work for free"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stain thinks heroes should be heroic and selfless but the only one of his victims we know anything about seemed to be genuinely heroic and selfless.

So presumably Stain doesn't do any research into the people he kills. He just kinda assumes they suck on principle because they are not All Might.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Money's got almost nothing to do with it.

It's literally just the difference between heroism, the selfless act(s) that earn you the acknowledgement of "being a hero", and "hero" the super power patrol cops in costumes who went through hero academy with intact self-preservation instincts.

in MHA society you can be a hero as a job without ever doing anything heroic. These people all resigned as soon as the job got tough and unpopular because whatever they were in it for, it wasn't worth the personal detriment is now innately comes with.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Stain thinks heroes should be heroic and selfless but the only one of his victims we know anything about seemed to be genuinely heroic and selfless.

So presumably Stain doesn't do any research into the people he kills. He just kinda assumes they suck on principle because they are not All Might.

And yes, this, every indication is that Stain is a loving lunatic. e: but with regards to All Might it's not really a mistake that it takes one to know one.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 20, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Deku earned his seal of approval in like a minute thirty it ain’t that hard folks

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's not Ingenium's fault he got owned too quick.

Well it kinda is but that doesn't make him less heroic or anything. :colbert:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
A real hero will always find a way for justice to be served!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
A real hero wouldn't just let a dangerous vigilante like the Hauler and friends walk around free. Stain had no choice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, that was the real reason wasn't it. Stain was just still mad about getting owned by Knuckleduster and hates that Ingenium is buds with his apprentice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Deku earned his seal of approval in like a minute thirty it ain’t that hard folks

Iida also earned an execution sentence in like a minute thirty so the real answer is that Stain is heavily influenced by first impressions.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kanos posted:

Iida also earned an execution sentence in like a minute thirty so the real answer is that Stain is heavily influenced by first impressions.

:hmmyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He'd have a great future in HR doing job interviews.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Kanos posted:

To be fair, Iida did kind of flunk that pop quiz by focusing more on fighting Stain than saving the guy Stain was poised to kill - but also it was far from a fair test considering Iida is all of 15, really upset for a valid reason, and also has no way of knowing what's going on with Native before it's too late to do anything about it. Iida's fast enough that yes, the correct answer was to take Native and get out of there to save his life, but also if Iida had literally any other quirk, he wouldn't be wrong to focus more on stopping Stain (thus preventing any future murders) than on trying to save someone who, for all he knew, was already too late to save.

Basically, Iida failed a rigged test (since even if he had just grabbed Native and run for it, Stain probably would have called that cowardice) and Stain is just looking to justify his murder habit, even if it means killing a child.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

To be fair, Iida did kind of flunk that pop quiz by focusing more on fighting Stain than saving the guy Stain was poised to kill - but also it was far from a fair test considering Iida is all of 15, really upset for a valid reason, and also has no way of knowing what's going on with Native before it's too late to do anything about it. Iida's fast enough that yes, the correct answer was to take Native and get out of there to save his life, but also if Iida had literally any other quirk, he wouldn't be wrong to focus more on stopping Stain (thus preventing any future murders) than on trying to save someone who, for all he knew, was already too late to save.

Basically, Iida failed a rigged test (since even if he had just grabbed Native and run for it, Stain probably would have called that cowardice) and Stain is just looking to justify his murder habit, even if it means killing a child.

He didn't fail the test by not trying to save Native. He failed the test by speechifying about his revenge while the guy he was pontificating at was standing over another guy with a sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Native got iced by the Legion of Doom during Shigaraki's rampage so really if you think about it it didn't really matter if Iida saved him or not, he was dead either way.