Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Can't wait for the movie about Job John

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gripweed posted:

Gundam The Origin had a five volume spinoff about Cucuruz Doan's Island

Not another stolen gundam!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Populon posted:

Can't wait for the movie about Job John

I think it's F90 that has Captain Job John fighting Mars Zeon (called Oldsmobile).

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it's F90 that has Captain Job John fighting Mars Zeon (called Oldsmobile).
Disinterested Drake: AEUG vs Titans
Enthused Drake: Trans-Am vs Oldsmobile

Edit: I think the official Sunrise GundamInfi YouTube account has uploaded a bunch of series for free, currently. I believe it’s the only place you can legally watch the 00 movie at the moment. I’ll report back to the thread how disappointing/enlightening “the dialogues to come” are now that I can actually watch it.

Edit 2: 00 came out only a few years after SEED but looks far, far nicer. With SEED you can tell they were still trying to figure out an all-digital work flow.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Sep 16, 2021

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mirello posted:

man the last chapter of berserk is so emotional and sad. the good really do die young. gently caress

im only at ganesha and i knew the moment shierke joined up "uu dis bithc gonna die horribly isnt she"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lollontee posted:

im only at ganesha and i knew the moment shierke joined up "uu dis bithc gonna die horribly isnt she"

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Populon posted:

Lol doans island movie wtf

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Populon posted:

Lol doans island movie wtf

Part One of the Salt Saga

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Alright so I’ve seen the Gundam 00 movie.

TL;dr is it’s just boring. Even if you like 00, just skip it and imagine everything works out just fine.

- The action scenes are somehow way worse than anything in the TV show, despite having a higher budget and less time to fill. It’s 90% just scenes of mechs spamming beam weapons into the void. It’s not so much that you can’t tell what is happening, it’s just that nothing is happening. It’s like the battle at the end of Tenet where faceless characters are shooting at nothing. You could make a shorter cut of the movie that removed these scenes and you would lose nothing.
- There is almost no character development. It’s all plot, like a Wikipedia summary of itself.
- The movie is accidentally leftist. The official theme of the movie is that only through truly understanding each other can we achieve a peaceful, ideal world. This is of course nonsense and is not what happens in the movie. There is literally a scene at the start of the movie where a corporation tries to assassinate the head of a Middle Eastern government in order to keep the slaves toiling in the space mines. Literally everyone understands each other in this scene and it does nothing to free the slaves. The only time anything changes in this series is because the material conditions change. The Earth turns into a utopia because aliens show up just in time to unite the new, weak world government, and then through the power of magical technology befriend the aliens who I guess share their technology and begin a post-scarcity age.
- Again, this all happens in very boring manner. The first half of the movie is the characters trying to solve the mystery of why weird things are happening, but we the viewers already know it’s aliens so it’s just waiting for the characters to figure it out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The first three minutes are so great, but then the rest of the movie happens.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Alright so I’ve seen the Gundam 00 movie.

TL;dr is it’s just boring. Even if you like 00, just skip it and imagine everything works out just fine.

- The action scenes are somehow way worse than anything in the TV show, despite having a higher budget and less time to fill. It’s 90% just scenes of mechs spamming beam weapons into the void. It’s not so much that you can’t tell what is happening, it’s just that nothing is happening. It’s like the battle at the end of Tenet where faceless characters are shooting at nothing. You could make a shorter cut of the movie that removed these scenes and you would lose nothing.
- There is almost no character development. It’s all plot, like a Wikipedia summary of itself.
- The movie is accidentally leftist. The official theme of the movie is that only through truly understanding each other can we achieve a peaceful, ideal world. This is of course nonsense and is not what happens in the movie. There is literally a scene at the start of the movie where a corporation tries to assassinate the head of a Middle Eastern government in order to keep the slaves toiling in the space mines. Literally everyone understands each other in this scene and it does nothing to free the slaves. The only time anything changes in this series is because the material conditions change. The Earth turns into a utopia because aliens show up just in time to unite the new, weak world government, and then through the power of magical technology befriend the aliens who I guess share their technology and begin a post-scarcity age.
- Again, this all happens in very boring manner. The first half of the movie is the characters trying to solve the mystery of why weird things are happening, but we the viewers already know it’s aliens so it’s just waiting for the characters to figure it out.

I don't think I've rewatched Gundam 00 since its original run, but drat. That was a show that aggressively had nothing to say about anything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
OP was a banger though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The ground up view of the human cost of "humanitarian interventions", but all the damage is actuall done by the evil Gundams. The Watchman unite-the-world-with-a-fake-threat plot, but the fake threat suddenly is no longer meant to be defeated when the numbers come out wrong. Geass in full clown getup was more coherent.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Iron Blooded Orphans was Gundam 00 with a point.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

genericnick posted:

I don't think I've rewatched Gundam 00 since its original run, but drat. That was a show that aggressively had nothing to say about anything.
season 1 ruled and season 2 + the awful movie retroactively ruined s1. i think they wanted to make 00s2 the 21st century ZZ

i’m still mad about it

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans was Gundam 00 with a point.

that point being, no matter how enigmatic and smart the blonde pedophile sounds, do not listen to him

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

season 1 ruled and season 2 + the awful movie retroactively ruined s1. i think they wanted to make 00s2 the 21st century ZZ

i’m still mad about it

All the spoiler stuff I quoted above was in S1 already. But in S1 you still could hope that it would go somewhere.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It had the best Gundam names though. Bring Stabbity

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

genericnick posted:

All the spoiler stuff I quoted above was in S1 already. But in S1 you still could hope that it would go somewhere.
i haven’t seen it since it aired but at the time the last big gundam franchise which was SEED Destiny, so it looked GREAT in comparison

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

genericnick posted:

It had the best Gundam names though. Bring Stabbity
mista bishido, b*tch

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

00 is basically anime Foundation, with the movie being Anime 2001.

Of course, it turned out Arthur C Clarke was a epdo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/rokitbootz/status/1439653293089755138

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
oh wow i had no idea :(
i did find it sus he kept bringing up dropping a colony on people though

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
He likes to say Earth dwellers souls’ are “weighed down by gravity” which I’m pretty sure is just a slur he made up, but it definitely sounds very offensive!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Please put a TW before talking about Ch*r some of us aren't ready to talk about him yet.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I started watching the original Gundam and it holds up really well. I like the how the first 10 episodes put a little more focus on logistics and an emphasis that losing even a single ZAKU is really bad. When does all the new-type stuff pop up, I'll probabaly drop it then.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Terminal autist posted:

I started watching the original Gundam and it holds up really well. I like the how the first 10 episodes put a little more focus on logistics and an emphasis that losing even a single ZAKU is really bad. When does all the new-type stuff pop up, I'll probabaly drop it then.

Are you watching the series or the movies? Because the original gundam is probably the only instance where the compilation movies are better.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Terminal autist posted:

:respek: doing the same, about 15 episodes in and im surprised how it's still entertaining as hell

genericnick posted:

Are you watching the series or the movies? Because the original gundam is probably the only instance where the compilation movies are better.

are they available to stream anywhere, or are they just DVD/BD releases?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

genericnick posted:

The series but I'm about halfway through already

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good soup! posted:

are they available to stream anywhere, or are they just DVD/BD releases?

all 3 movies are on netflix

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Saw Promare in an actual theatre over the weekend, totally blind, on the recommendation of a friend.

Would definitely recommend. I was not expecting "Gurren Lagann but with firefighters", but it was very fun.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I was in a lovely enough mood to finally watch the 3rd Eva rebuild, but now I’m not in a lovely enough mood to finally watch the 4th.

I thought the 3rd was okay, but idk how Anno would top the ending of the 2nd rebuild.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Saw Promare in an actual theatre over the weekend, totally blind, on the recommendation of a friend.

Would definitely recommend. I was not expecting "Gurren Lagann but with firefighters", but it was very fun.

A Very Trigger Movie

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Srice posted:

all 3 movies are on netflix

dope, thanks

fake edit: awww, shame they didnt get a dub from ocean, i always liked the one the series got

oh well, subs it is

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMightyBoops posted:

I was in a lovely enough mood to finally watch the 3rd Eva rebuild, but now I’m not in a lovely enough mood to finally watch the 4th.

I thought the 3rd was okay, but idk how Anno would top the ending of the 2nd rebuild.

3.0+1.0 rules

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

jesus i got fuckin bodied right there

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i started watching 00 gundam and my intial thoughts are the exia is a bad design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

i started watching 00 gundam and my intial thoughts are the exia is a bad design

The gently caress!?