Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mushika posted:

I've never had Skyline chili, or chili on pasta or whatever, but it doesn't seem significantly different from any other non-notable meat sauce on pasta dishes. Is the hatred for it simply due to it having chili in its name? Because you bring up the word "chili" and strong opinions inevitably arise?

What constitutes chili in ohio isn't a debate like it is in Texas. It is just watery cinnamon crap with terrible cheese and optional onion or beans.

It's just bad food. You can get much better implementations around Detroit if you look for coney shops.

/e https://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

Scroll down

Submarine Sandpaper has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What constitutes chili in ohio isn't a debate like it is in Texas. It is just watery cinnamon crap with terrible cheese and optional onion or beans.

Except this is not true. Skyline is Skyline. If you generically talk about chili in Ohio people are thinking of stuff with beans and ground beef.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Except this is not true. Skyline is Skyline. If you generically talk about chili in Ohio people are thinking of stuff with beans and ground beef.

I mean it's not a heated "only beef and peppers" or whatever con Carne is

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I mean it's not a heated "only beef and peppers" or whatever con Carne is

I'm not defending the weird ground beef poo poo, just saying that Skyline is a specific thing and no one in Ohio thinks of it as chili. The inability to get past that word is an internet thing from people who haven't been to Ohio.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not defending the weird ground beef poo poo, just saying that Skyline is a specific thing and no one in Ohio thinks of it as chili. The inability to get past that word is an internet thing from people who haven't been to Ohio.

I'm from toledo and did a college tour in cinci. Iirc you're in that area, I'm surprised you have had your experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm from toledo and did a college tour in cinci. Iirc you're in that area, I'm surprised you have had your experience.

I am from Skyline country, yes. I have never encountered someone here who meant Skyline when they said chili. The stuff at Wendy's is what would be considered generic chili, Skyline is Skyline.

Sorry about being from Toledo, you have my sympathy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Steamed hams skit playing out in real time

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno why it annoys me. There are so many good, real reasons to poo poo on Ohio, why make stuff up?

I did make a Greek person angry once when I had real pastitsio for the first time and said oh wow it really is just Skyline. Wasn't joking either, it is. I don't think people who aren't from southwest Ohio realize how Greek this area is.

What I need to do is learn to find it funny that random people get so angry about a food they've never had and know nothing about.

Grand Fromage has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Sep 19, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Man, I got a pack of ground bison in the freezer and now I don't know if I should make chili or spaghetti with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eat it raw, OP

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RoboRodent posted:

Man, I got a pack of ground bison in the freezer and now I don't know if I should make chili or spaghetti with it.

Pastitsio! This is a good recipe.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Grand Fromage posted:

Eat it raw, OP

thaw it half way first so you get a pleasing mix of textures though

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For some abominable reason, Skyline is an Ohio thing that has for many, many years had a Fort Lauderdale, FL location. It’s loving awful food, but before Covid and a closure/location change, it was open 24hrs.

Skyline chili is still nasty, but is vastly more palatable at 4am and you don’t know the names of any of the people you got there with.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Pastitsio! This is a good recipe.

Quoting this so I can find it later.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

It’s pastitso with beans and the wrong pasta and cheese. Still good.

It doesn't have beans though.

Which in my book disqualifies it for a True Chili but that's dumb pedant poo poo, it's plenty good food and that's what matters.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It doesn't have beans though.

Which in my book disqualifies it for a True Chili but that's dumb pedant poo poo, it's plenty good food and that's what matters.

No, it is the truth and it's important everybody knows:colbert:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
In the latest video from emmymade she was sponsored by a company that sells Wagyu beef and decided to use it in a casserole hotdish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POJYlts2W1o

Like, drat, the whole point of a hotdish is to take cheap ingredients and combine them into a homogenous sludge (usually bound in some form of Campbell's condensed soup) so you don't really taste any of the individual components. You don't use good beef in one. :psyduck:

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Sep 19, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr.Radar posted:

In the latest video from emmymade she was sponsored by a company that sells Wagyu beef and decided to use it in a casserole hotdish

I laughed when I saw that one. I already feel like ground Wagyu kind of spoils it even cooked as a burg, it feels like steak cooked with fat marbled through it rather than drained out is the main point of it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is that canned fruit cocktail on ham lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most likely chopped up carrot, swede and turnip in extremely anemic looking gravy.

Just like mum used to make

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sakurazuka posted:

Most likely chopped up carrot, swede and turnip in extremely anemic looking gravy.

Just like mum used to make

That pic's from rural Illinois, where I would be shocked if anyone knew a swede was a vegetable.

The menu has "ham steak... with pineapple ring" and my guess is they stopped buying pineapple rings, but the fruit salad has pineapple in it, so :shrug:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If they want me to like it then they shoulda put a ring on it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pineapple was my guess too, as a former rural Illinoisan who never heard of a swede (well, the vegetable).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

That pic's from rural Illinois, where I would be shocked if anyone knew a swede was a vegetable.

The menu has "ham steak... with pineapple ring" and my guess is they stopped buying pineapple rings, but the fruit salad has pineapple in it, so :shrug:

The only place a pineapple ring belongs is atop a neat ice cream scoop of cottage cheese, damnit.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

NinjaDebugger posted:

The only place a pineapple ring belongs is atop a neat ice cream scoop of cottage cheese, damnit.

Is this close enough for you?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

America, gently caress Yeah!

edit: you know it's good when the mashed potatoes are scooped out with an ice cream scoop with the clicker.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NinjaDebugger posted:

I associate this with driving through rural Illinois (where my dad grew up) and eating at what I thought from a brief glimpse of the sign was Steak & Snake

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pineapple was my guess too, as a former rural Illinoisan who never heard of a swede (well, the vegetable).

We call them rutabagas (the vegetable, not the people)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AlbieQuirky posted:

But we're both quite tasty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kptp9SmM5Y

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

Wait, that's what rutabagas are?! Literally 99% of my knowledge of them comes from them being a running gag on the early 90s Swedish Chef breakfast cereal and only later realizing they were a real thing. Now I wonder if the alternate name was the inspiration for the joke :tinfoil:

e: on further thought, I sorta feel like I've had this revelation before, but probably forgot it due to being drunk at the time or something

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Sep 19, 2021

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

Is this close enough for you?

No, there is a tomato on that plate, and I can't eat it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never wished I had cucumber and peaches at the same time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

I wouldn't complain

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The Bloop posted:

At least the peaches aren't stuffed with mayo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I wouldn't complain

Cucumbers are gross filler, always complain about them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Bloop posted:

until now, that is

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

NinjaDebugger posted:

At least the peaches aren't stuffed with mayo.

Yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

Cucumbers are gross filler, always complain about them.

Cucumbers are good and cool!