Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Slugworth posted:

I've gotta be honest, I don't even mind the faux stone column bases. I don't mind faux stuff as long as it's logical, versus those houses that are like vinyl siding with random faux stone corners.

What's the one man plan for those gigantic windows though??

Apparently in our city the requirements for new construction include “architectural interest” elements that dictate no two houses of the same facade design can be built side by side and every facade should have at least three (3) different finishes(changes in material/texture/colour).

The last requirement might be responsible for all sorts of weird finish combinations you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Also, it really sucks putting on house wrap by yourself. . . Almost as much as raising cathedral trusses alone by hand.

Yeah, when I think about my workshop, putting the housewrap on was a major pain, especially because the roll of housewrap was IIRC 9 or 10 feet long, and the tops of the exterior walls were only a bit over 8' off the ground at many points.

I did joists and rafters rather than trusses, myself. But getting each 16' 2x10 into place solo was not exactly trivial.

Good luck with your build!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iv46vi posted:

Apparently in our city the requirements for new construction include “architectural interest” elements that dictate no two houses of the same facade design can be built side by side and every facade should have at least three (3) different finishes(changes in material/texture/colour).

Glass

Steel

Concrete

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Glass

Steel

Concrete

Windows don’t count as a finish :) so tell bob to grab whatever is on sale at Home Depot siding section and we’ll slap it on this corner.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

iv46vi posted:

Windows don’t count as a finish :) so tell bob to grab whatever is on sale at Home Depot siding section and we’ll slap it on this corner.

I’m going to blow the inspector’s mind with my Trombe wall.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

iv46vi posted:

Is there anything that says the finish has to stay on? Could you grab some cheap trim and put it along the edge of something then take it off later?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are some jurisdictions require newly developed lots to be planted with a certain number of trees (based on lot size) from an approved list. People will plant those trees, get the country to sign off, and then the trees suffer unfortunate accidents and are replaced with more interesting trees.

It would be one thing if the requirement were for native trees, but sometimes it’s “gently caress you, you can’t have an apple tree, you have to plant the mayor’s favorite ornamental import.”

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Do you have a thread for this?

Living at the cabin with atrocious data and precious little time. One photo usually takes me the better part of an hour to upload, so a thread would be updated once a month with a single photo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iv46vi posted:

gently caress, I hate the people who write these things

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Mexican_ctrl+v_suburb.jpg

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

iv46vi posted:

The last requirement might be responsible for all sorts of weird finish combinations you see.

I remember that in Bozeman. Mostly you got cedar shake, hardboard Siding, and brick. Sometimes they mixed it up with galvanized corrugated steel which I like.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

nm posted:

Yeah, but consider the alternative...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blistex posted:

Mexican_ctrl+v_suburb.jpg

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, but consider the alternative...

That’s Turkey.

All we’re missing is China.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

nm posted:

My buddy lives in a 40-year old suburb in our town. The houses have been landscaped and maintained in different ways over the years, and have that mix of finishes from building that makes them all ‘unique’.

The longer you sit and look at them, the more obvious it becomes that they are all the exact same house underneath.

Of course, the 120-year old neighbourhood I grew up in also has all the exact same floor plans. The more things change…

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If you keep the houses around long enough it becomes historical. I live in the bungalow belt of chicago. Which means most of the houses are roughly the same brick house design. They’ve all been slightly modified over the years, so none are exactly the same, but 80 years ago when they developed the neighborhood they were definitely the same.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Back in 2000 I was biking through North York in Toronto and stopped to talk to a contractor taking a coffee break. His crew would do every fifth house on the street because it was exactly the same (framing). Five other crews did the same in this massive development. All the houses were within 50 sq ft of each other, and there were really only three designs, but mirrored from each other. When the siding, trim, brick, and shingles were on he said you'd be hard pressed to notice this.

He said by the end of the season they could have a house sheeted in three days. These were all ~2000 sq ft units. By the middle of the summer they would have to hire 2x as many people to pour foundations to keep up.

Another little update.

And the scissor lift is amazing.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 19, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Scissor lifts own. Nothing like cranking one up to full height and enjoying the view.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PurpleXVI posted:

Scissor lifts own. Nothing like cranking one up to full height and enjoying the view.

Omitting the first sentence left me in stitches.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Blistex posted:

Back in 2000 I was biking through North York in Toronto and stopped to talk to a contractor taking a coffee break. His crew would do every fifth house on the street because it was exactly the same (framing). Five other crews did the same in this massive development. All the houses were within 50 sq ft of each other, and there were really only three designs, but mirrored from each other. When the siding, trim, brick, and shingles were on he said you'd be hard pressed to notice this.

He said by the end of the season they could have a house sheeted in three days. These were all ~2000 sq ft units. By the middle of the summer they would have to hire 2x as many people to pour foundations to keep up.

Another little update.

Oh yeah, I forgot, you're in eastern Ontario aren't you? My goal is to get a chunk of land around the Land of lakes area. Like around sharbot lake, kaladar or the surrounding area. I love the swampy lowlands of the Canadian shield

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot, you're in eastern Ontario aren't you? My goal is to get a chunk of land around the Land of lakes area. Like around sharbot lake, kaladar or the surrounding area. I love the swampy lowlands of the Canadian shield

I'm on Manitoulin Island. You give up some creature comforts, but (imo) it's worth it.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Blistex posted:

I'm on Manitoulin Island. You give up some creature comforts, but (imo) it's worth it.

Is this the Home Hardware kit house? You should definitely do a thread or effort post about the whole experience especially during COVID timeframe.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Blistex posted:

Omitting the first sentence left me in stitches.

Getting stitches while cranking should go to the OSHA thread

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rust Martialis posted:

Getting stitches while cranking should go to the OSHA thread

I always tie-off when cranking that high.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
David Carradine was just trying to practice proper fall protection

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Another little update.

Really cool.

Also I'm assuming that huge wall is a facade, and that's why the studs aren't connected at the top?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Those aren't studs

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It's strapping for the vinyl siding. If you put vinyl siding directly against that foil covered styrofoam insulation it will eventually wear through the foil covering due to movement from wind and expansion and contraction.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mr.belowaverage posted:

My buddy lives in a 40-year old suburb in our town. The houses have been landscaped and maintained in different ways over the years, and have that mix of finishes from building that makes them all ‘unique’.

The longer you sit and look at them, the more obvious it becomes that they are all the exact same house underneath.

Of course, the 120-year old neighbourhood I grew up in also has all the exact same floor plans. The more things change…

My 1922 bungalow is almost exactly the same as the neighboring houses except for a few roof and windows changes.
I'm not against differences (I'm very much for them), but the way that law is written is dump.
I grew up on a street of 1920s custom homes (they were valued like 5x what my house was in the 1920 census). They're almost mission/spanish/Monterey revival with white stucco (though not all of them, one is purple).
They're also all very unique despite almost certainly failing most of those tests.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Blistex posted:

I'm coming to check this out on my next work trip to Sudbury! Please have the house, and my room and scotch selection ready.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mr.belowaverage posted:

I'm coming to check this out on my next work trip to Sudbury! Please have the house, and my room and scotch selection ready.

Glenfiddich and an unfinished basement ok?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

It's strapping for the vinyl siding. If you put vinyl siding directly against that foil covered styrofoam insulation it will eventually wear through the foil covering due to movement from wind and expansion and contraction.

That makes a lot more sense!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Blistex posted:

Glenfiddich and an unfinished basement ok?

For the love of God, Montresor!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dareon posted:

Holy gently caress

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

God drat it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dareon posted:

:drat:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dareon posted:

lol

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
:pusheen:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Spotted in Vancouver real estate. That's a $700K, 1,081 sqft house right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Approximately five year follow up post, after all the flooding and what not ...

How's Dallas getting on with its Trinity River Park floodway?

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

Dallas has decided to develop a floodway. Mostly as trails, but they are surely going to have bathroom buildings and lighting.

http://www.wideopencountry.com/dallas-is-building-trinity-river-park-the-biggest-urban-park-in-america/

Every three years or so it does this: