Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Unoriginal Name posted:

ooooh, sorry were outta chai atm. can I interest you in another drink from our selection?

Due to dustbowl 2.0 we are also out of oatmilk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Thanks for that, I guess.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

So would a megatsunami help us lower emissions or ultimately increase them?
https://twitter.com/ThePlanetaryGuy/status/1439703412094947333

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

There was a Twitter popular person calling Peter kalmus a doomer and claiming his statements were bad for getting anything done lol

LOL here it is

https://twitter.com/realSethReeves/status/1439300997877092354?s=19

Isn't it the other way around, positive thinking and not taking it seriously enough is extremely damaging to making any progress?

I mean we aren't making progress either way so its not like it matters

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

silicone thrills posted:

Due to dustbowl 2.0 we are also out of oatmilk.

"We can, however, offer you our new dustmilk latte! It's dust and hot water - high in minerals and the GOOD kind of toxins!"

Tekne posted:

So would a megatsunami help us lower emissions or ultimately increase them?

Not to be a downer, but there's a larger school of thought now that the "loose shelf" that might doom everyone living near the Atlantic basin might just be very slowly eroding into the Atlantic and poses way less chance of an "all at once" sloughing.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Sep 19, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CODChimera posted:

Isn't it the other way around, positive thinking and not taking it seriously enough is extremely damaging to making any progress?

I mean we aren't making progress either way so its not like it matters

yup, it’s just people making stuff up for their own comfort

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-020-00574- posted:

Morris, B.S., Chrysochou, P., Karg, S.T. et al. Optimistic vs. pessimistic endings in climate change appeals. Humanit Soc Sci Commun 7, 82 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1057/s41599-020-00574-z

Abstract
The use of emotion in climate change appeals is a hotly debated topic. Warning about the perils of imminent mass extinction, climate change communicators are often accused of being unnecessarily ‘doomsday’ in their attempts to foster a sense of urgency and action among the public. Pessimistic messaging, the thinking goes, undermines engagement efforts, straining credulity and fostering a sense of helplessness, rather than concern. Widespread calls for more optimistic climate change messaging punctuate public discourse. This research puts these claims to the test, investigating how affective endings (optimistic vs. pessimistic vs. fatalistic) of climate change appeals impact individual risk perception and outcome efficacy (i.e., the sense that one’s behavior matters). The findings of three online experiments presented in this paper suggest that climate change appeals with pessimistic affective endings increase risk perception (Studies 1 and 2) and outcome efficacy (Study 3), which is the result of heightened emotional arousal (Studies 1–3). Moreover, the results indicate that the mediating effect of emotional arousal is more prevalent among political moderates and conservatives, as well as those who hold either individualistic or hierarchical world views. Given that these audiences generally exhibit lower risk perception and outcome efficacy in relation to climate change, the results suggest that climate change appeals with pessimistic endings could trigger higher engagement with the issue than optimistic endings. These findings are interpreted in light of recent research findings, which suggest that differences in threat-reactivity and emotional arousal may be attributable to brain functions/anatomy mappable to basic motivations for safety and survival. Implications for scholars and practitioners are discussed.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10806-021-09865-0

Nordgren, A. Pessimism and Optimism in the Debate on Climate Change: A Critical Analysis. J Agric Environ Ethics 34, 22 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10806-021-09865-0

quote:

In the debate on climate change commentators often express pessimistic or optimistic views. We see this mainly in the media and popular literature, but also in various academic fields. The aim of this paper is to investigate different kinds of pessimistic and optimistic views put forward in this debate and suggest explanations of the diversity of views. The paper concludes that pessimism and optimism may concern, for example, climate change as an unmitigated or poorly mitigated process, mitigation of climate change or specific measures of mitigation. These aspects are important to distinguish, because a person can be pessimist concerning climate change as an unmitigated or poorly mitigated process and optimist concerning mitigation of climate change, and be pessimist concerning one specific mitigation measure and optimist concerning another. It is suggested that the diversity of pessimistic and optimistic views is due to the uncertainty of scientific climate models and the influence of evaluative and ideological assumptions.

there’s also a profound lack of curiosity and empathy on why people might come to think and feel the ways they do, as if these are invalid and people are rational actors.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Sep 19, 2021

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

RIP Syndrome posted:

Thanks for that, I guess.

:tipshat:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Cool foreshadowing.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/science/2021/09/18/setting-traps-north-of-fairbanks-to-catch-clues-on-the-mysterious-alaskapox-virus/

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bag em and tag em posted:

https://twitter.com/realSethReeves/status/1439397029663232004?s=19

You idiots! Corporations won't just let the planet die, OBVIOUSLY!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

im late to the new thread. anyone know when we're all gonna die yet?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

"but if you keep polluting we will both surely die," said the worker

"lol" said the corporation. "lmao"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gay_crimes posted:

im late to the new thread. anyone know when we're all gonna die yet?

We're already dead

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

comedyblissoption posted:

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dont give up hope on this yet tbh ive seen a few advertisements recently on twitch that hits those corporations hard on their climate record so we'll see what happens now

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mayor Dave posted:

We're already dead

it’s like fist of the North Star but instead of some anime dude going atatatatatatat into someone’s vital points it’s corporations atatatatatatating greenhouse gases and micro plastics into the environment and then smugly going

“you’re already dead”

earth’s biosphere collapses

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"We can, however, offer you our new dustmilk latte! It's dust and hot water - high in minerals and the GOOD kind of toxins!"

Not to be a downer, but there's a larger school of thought now that the "loose shelf" that might doom everyone living near the Atlantic basin might just be very slowly eroding into the Atlantic and poses way less chance of an "all at once" sloughing.

drat, that's disappointing. I guess there's still a chance for some local land-slip tsunami action, at least on the West Coast.

The above paper is brought to you compliments of Stephen Harper, M.Econ. and former Prime Minister of Canada. During his tenure he focused government resources on turning Canada into a petrostate and threw a lot of research at documenting what the dilBit tankers would destroy on the West Coast. Anything not on a tanker route was ignored.

I'm sure a 30 metre wall of water hitting the head of the inlet would do good things for the tanker port.

I'm intrigued by the ideas of Mo-tzu, the Chinese version of Jesus invented 400 years before the Middle East got around to it. Universal love and concern for the common man, disdain for the aristocrats, turn the other cheek up to the point you invade another kingdom and threaten to gently caress the peasants around then my well-organized paramilitary army of brotherly love will show up and help the locals beat the poo poo out of you. Might be something to work on while waiting for the collapse and we could still go with the cool Mad Max leather and spikes thing.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Someone put this over the frog scorpion pic

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BIG HEADLINE posted:

How about some raw peat moss and dirt pills instead

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1439622557666185217
:stare:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Built Ford Tough.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

:sickos:
:crnasickos:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"... until eventually it's your camera doing the recording."

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

"... until eventually it's your camera doing the recording."

Lol I just realized that when I was taking videos of my daughter playing in the blizzard in Texas this year before we huddled in to keep from freezing to death overnight, I was living this quote

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
This is fun.

Just found out that since nuclear testing started that somehow hosed up the isotopes in the atmosphere such that anything that came about since then basically can't be carbon dated, dendrology works for wood in super arid places and OSL only works on like quartz and poo poo.

So when 5' tall bipedal ants in labcoats won't be able to date most of the poo poo in the last 80 years till whenever it's all buried.

Lmao. Maybe they won't put together the timeline, fail to solve the mystery and end up as the slaves to capital that we both truly are.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basic Poster posted:

This is fun.

Just found out that since nuclear testing started that somehow hosed up the isotopes in the atmosphere such that anything that came about since then basically can't be carbon dated, dendrology works for wood in super arid places and OSL only works on like quartz and poo poo.

So when 5' tall bipedal ants in labcoats won't be able to date most of the poo poo in the last 80 years till whenever it's all buried.

Lmao. Maybe they won't put together the timeline, fail to solve the mystery and end up as the slaves to capital that we both truly are.

well you're wrong about this, and let me explain in detail, as i've got enough information to settle this having delved into every nuclear-based minecraft mod made in the last 6 years,

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Basic Poster posted:

This is fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The TikTok at the end made my head explode

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

What the gently caress

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you'll drink nothing and you'll be happy

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This has lead to some interesting seafloor pillaging in recent years.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Oh cool ant man can date stuff made out of old trains and world war 1 ships.

Basic Poster has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Sep 20, 2021

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

That's some stiff competition in the Pants making GBS threads Burnover category, Australia's going to have to step up its game.

Rime posted:

This has lead to some interesting seafloor pillaging in recent years.

Interesting. I wonder if the explosives planted to tear the wreck apart also deactivate any leftover munitions still in those hulls. Must be exciting to dump a load of steel on the deck and find a live one rolling around.

There's a WWII wreck at the bottom of a long straight channel just south of Prince Rupert. It's been leaking oil for decades so the government finally got around to tapping the tanks and emptying the fuel sometime around 2010. One of the things that made the job interesting was the cargo - a load of tanks and 500 lb bombs bound for Alaska. At least it wasn't those two nuclear bombs lost off the Central Coast in the late 1950s. So much crap in the oceans.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

Oh cool ant man can date stuff made out of old trains and world war 1 ships.

They use it for x-ray machines.

Ant man will find one and infer that the ancients needed it because their exoskeletons were on the inside. Endoskeleton theory goes against orthodox belief though, because everyone knows the ancients were really primitive ants, so ant man gets sent to the aphid pits to be torn apart for heresy.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hubbert posted:

congratulations

welcome to what societal collapse looks like

nah, I don't buy that for a second

If anything, the last year and a half has proven that America's social systems are amazingly resilient. It's not a societal collapse just because the poor and vulnerable are getting wrecked in ever-increasing numbers. That's literally just the status quo.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
So was that D&D cancer post made by Michael Mann or something, lol

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1439766187064188928

https://twitter.com/dailyposter/status/1439794750123491340

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lost Time posted:

So was that D&D cancer post made by Michael Mann or something, lol

not enough blue shaded shots

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006