Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I took Kimbo’s advice and put some spare Clement Xplor USH 35s on my singlespeed. They’re not tubeless compatible so they’d been taken out of the gravel selection awhile back but they weigh less than the boat anchor 28s I had on before.

Delightful to ride over all the potholes and rip down light gravel shortcuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

At this price point, it makes little sense to upgrade things besides tires.

Understood. Don't think about the upgrade path, buy the Marlin, save for a nicer bike down the road. It didn't occur to me to think about the hubs. Thanks for helping me out.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

Cross is here and I am not ready.

Saaaaaaame. You doing any of the big USCX events?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How’s your ability to receive beer hand ups?
Gonna crush some on course O'douls like an absolute maniac.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Saaaaaaame. You doing any of the big USCX events?
I live on an island and we have a really good local series that didn't run last year. It's gonna be a party.

https://www.crossontherock.com/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We have a clinic and practice race tomorrow then our wed night series starts next week. There are 9 of them, which, uh, 6pm start in mid nov in Montana is sure going to be something. But only the first 5 count for series points.

Got faster tires on, speed terrenes instead of the "all" version. Much better, still seems to have good grip cornering. Tubular rims still haven't shown up from light bicycle though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

We have a rainfall warning going on so it looks like leaving the all terrenes on the bike is going to work out.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Extraneous poo poo removed, file treads on, bike clean

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
seatpost perfectly sized to display brand name :thunk:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Change the Kona logo to say Loki.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

thats a nice lookin bike

sram double tap baby,

never used it for CX but i can imagine it works well to dump gears when you need to

and it still has the most satisfying upshift

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Me: Oh I can go for a ride today!

My legs after 30 miles: gently caress you, lady

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Me: Oh I can go for a ride today!

My legs after 30 miles: gently caress you, lady

I did my first 30+ mile ride a couple days ago. On a fitness hybrid (Escape).

My legs right after the ride: "Hey dude, that was awesome! You're so fit! You could have gone a few dozen more miles if the sun weren't setting!!"

My legs three hours later, after some pizza and rest: "Oh, by the way, you did so well today that we each put on 50 pounds of muscle, so good luck learning to walk again."

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I did a biannual trail run last week and felt good. Then my body reminded me that I havnt run in 6 months. Trail running is good poo poo though but I don't really like to do it unless it's so technical that it would be faster to run than bike or have significant unbikable sections, otherwise I find myself thinking "why didn't I bring my CX bike?"

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That was hard. Can't remember the last time my HR was that high for that long. Avg 171 for 40min, lthr is in the 169-172 range. Tires seemed good, even in the looser, rougher, stuff, then they're nice and smooth and fast on the grass and pavement. Don't think I could have gone much lower in pressure. Was at 32/37, dinged the rear rim once and looks like i almost pushed the front tire off the bead

Andrew rode away because he's basically a pro and then 4-5 of us had a pretty good battle for the next spot. Shaun sprinted past me on the run up with 2 to go, then got a little space over the barriers, and stayed ahead on the last lap. Kind of impressed there because it seems like he hasn't been riding or training that much this year.

e hey pics of us racing

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 19, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i run relatively low pressure for road but i get to a certain point in CX where the sidewall flex freaks me out and id rather just run higher pressure. lots of people on cushcores these days too which apparently keeps the sidewall sturdy.

gonna get my bike prepped for tomato.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Wonder if I can get this in before I'm probed?

Mississippi River = Best River.

Newt: the MCT Trails kitty! See him on Goshen or Nickel Plate. If he wants you to. But don't be me and forget the treats you bought just for this cat. (If you stop, he'll try to get your attention, jump on your bike, and hang out for pets, scratches, and of course, treats.)

Deer on Nickel Plate.
The Brave:

The Skittish:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Put a basket or porteur rack up front so the strange cat can join you on rides. Before you know it you'll be traveling the world together.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54329606

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

Put a basket or porteur rack up front so the strange cat can join you on rides. Before you know it you'll be traveling the world together.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-54329606

I would never deprive Newt's staff (some would say "owners") nor the wonderful folks who frequent the MCT Trails of a chance to have a moment's fun with Newt. (His tag reads "I LIKE TO ROAM".)

But, that story has so much "awwwwww" that, well, it made my jaw fall off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I rode my bicycle

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Congrats of getting out of ohio

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Congrats of getting out of ohio

:ssh: this ride is entirely contained in Ohio

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A+ feline

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I low key enjoy riding the ohio river valley, it’s surprisingly good

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

:ssh: this ride is entirely contained in Ohio

Condolences in not being able to escape Ohio.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
Do the chain waxers itt boil or otherwise clean a "dirty" chain before re-waxing? I've just been wiping it down and then dropping it in the wax.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I got a very cheap (<$20) ultrasonic cleaner and I give it 30mins in there with some hot water and simple green before going into the wax. Maybe it flushes a bit of grit out? The water is definitely filthy after.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I run it through a chain scrubber several times over. From 1 to 3 times with bio degreaser, then once with some soapy water and then once or twice with just water. It might be overkill tbh, but I like having a clean chain. I use the ParkTool CM 5.2 scrubber, for what it's worth. Oh and Squirt lube, I might as well add

e: also, that ride is insane, Lewis. Colour me hella impressed, wow

I rode outside for the first time since my injury today. It went well! I did 8 rides on Zwift since last week's Wednesday and definitely got hooked (I love how convenient it is), but riding outside is so good :D Four weeks plus a day from sustaining the injury to riding my bike outside again - and pace-wise it even was right in between the last two times I rode this route. Zwift definitely helped there.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 19, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sweat poteto posted:

I got a very cheap (<$20) ultrasonic cleaner and I give it 30mins in there with some hot water and simple green before going into the wax. Maybe it flushes a bit of grit out? The water is definitely filthy after.

This but dish soap

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Considering upgrading my 2017/2018 Giant Contend SL to the 2021 Giant TCR Advanced with disk brakes. Anyone have experiences here? Most reviews seem very positive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what do I need to convert my jamis renegade with ultegra 2x11 to 1x? just a different cassette and grx crankset? can I keep my stages powermeter?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You can just put a single ring on your ultegra cranks

then you'd want a grx derailleur with a clutch and probably a wider range cassette. Shimano deralleurs and cassettes are kind of hard to come by right now though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BraveUlysses posted:

what do I need to convert my jamis renegade with ultegra 2x11 to 1x? just a different cassette and grx crankset? can I keep my stages powermeter?

Wolf tooth makes 1x chainrings that’ll bolt right on to a shimano crank, just add some chainring bolts. I have one on a 105 crank because GRX cranks are $$$ and nearly impossible to find at the moment. If you really wanted to go with a GRX crank the stages will bolt right on to it, but it wont match if you could somehow see both sides of your bike at the same time and that’s a thing that’d bother you.

Depending what derailleur you have, there’s a chance you could run it 1x. If not, a GRX RD can be used with any 11sp shimano road lever, if you can find one. e: there’s plenty of new RD-RX812s on ebay which is the one you’d want.

Then all you’ll need is a cassette of some flavor, the GRX officially only supports up to 42t but I’ve seen up to 46t done on it with zero issues.

If I were doing a 1x conversion I’d do a 42t chainring with an 11-46 cassette, or 11-42 if you’re not doing a ton of climbing.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 19, 2021

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Dictator. posted:

Considering upgrading my 2017/2018 Giant Contend SL to the 2021 Giant TCR Advanced with disk brakes. Anyone have experiences here? Most reviews seem very positive.

I bought one this year, love it. I got the ultegra edition, great bike. Put on 32mm tires (panaracer gravelking slicks), didn't love the ones that came with it (they were fine though). I upgraded from a 3 year old aluminum endurance bike with 105, and the giant feels fast and smooth. Can't think of any real downsides besides the price! Would've gotten the 105 edition, but availabilty is/was crap so I spent a bit more to get my bike this year. If you have specific questions let me know.

in the store:

first ride:

with fresh tires:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Samopsa posted:

with fresh tires:

:geert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

colonel tom posted:

Do the chain waxers itt boil or otherwise clean a "dirty" chain before re-waxing? I've just been wiping it down and then dropping it in the wax.

If it's been dry then just straight in, if it's been wet then I swirl it in hot water and give it a wipe first.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Samopsa posted:

I bought one this year, love it. I got the ultegra edition, great bike. Put on 32mm tires (panaracer gravelking slicks), didn't love the ones that came with it (they were fine though). I upgraded from a 3 year old aluminum endurance bike with 105, and the giant feels fast and smooth. Can't think of any real downsides besides the price! Would've gotten the 105 edition, but availabilty is/was crap so I spent a bit more to get my bike this year. If you have specific questions let me know.

in the store:

first ride:

with fresh tires:

Ziet er goed uit!

Won’t use it for gravel, probably, just rides around the polders and weekends at my parents in the hilly south.
The 105 VS ultegra (advanced 1 VS 2) is 500 or so more? I’m pretty satisfied about 105 now but seems kind of silly not to get a higher end group set than my current alu frame. Though I’ve heard different accounts on how much of a noticeable difference it is.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Dictator. posted:

The only disadvantage I know of is that the rims are hookless, so your selection of tyres is very limited. Also availability but that's all bikes rn

e: as samopsa pointed out that's the Pro model's carbon rims, normal advanced is fine

RE this:

Samopsa posted:

Are those rims hookless? Those tyres aren't on the compatibility list. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/hookless-technology

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 20, 2021

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Dictator. posted:

Ziet er goed uit!

Won’t use it for gravel, probably, just rides around the polders and weekends at my parents in the hilly south.
The 105 VS ultegra (advanced 1 VS 2) is 500 or so more? I’m pretty satisfied about 105 now but seems kind of silly not to get a higher end group set than my current alu frame. Though I’ve heard different accounts on how much of a noticeable difference it is.

Overal nederlanders goddomme! :hfive: Riding in Limburg is great.

I only use the bike for light gravel, mainly road, but I like the panaracers and the color so that's why I put on these tires. For 'true' offroad rides I grab my aluminium beater. The tires the bike come with actually had more tread than the panaracer slicks, and they felt quite uncomfortable to me. I'd rather lose a smidge of performance with the added comfort of 32mm tires.

I don't notice any real difference between my 105 and ultegra bikes in terms of performance and feel to be honest. Maybe the clicks on the ultegra shifters are bit more smooth and nicer sounding? Actual shifting on the road is completely identical, as is maintenance and tolerances etc. Hell, my 105 drivetrain is even more quiet than my ultegra one.
For me it wasn't worth it to get the ultegra edion, but I was impatient so whatever, I took the plunge. If I had the choice I would've gone for the 105 edition every time. Use the difference to buy a power meter or a new bike computer or some other good kit imo.

Heliosicle posted:

The only disadvantage I know of is that the rims are hookless, so your selection of tyres is very limited. Also availability but that's all bikes rn

RE this:

Are those rims hookless? Those tyres aren't on the compatibility list. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/hookless-technology

I think that's only true for the carbon rims of the TCR Advanced pro models, not the 'regular' TCR Advanced line. This bike comes with alu clincher rims (PR-2) instead of carbon (SLR-1).
The differences between the pro and the regular are carbon vs alu rims, carbon vs alu steerer, and the pro comes with a power meter.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gravelkings run at under 72.5psi so work with hookless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Samopsa posted:

I think that's only true for the carbon rims of the TCR Advanced pro models, not the 'regular' TCR Advanced line. This bike comes with alu clincher rims (PR-2) instead of carbon (SLR-1).
The differences between the pro and the regular are carbon vs alu rims, carbon vs alu steerer, and the pro comes with a power meter.

Oh yeah of course, forgot it was only for the carbon rims