Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tim and Eric is massively hit or miss and it is mostly miss, minus Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule which is absolutely loving hilarious

Tom Goes to the Mayor is just brutally unfunny to the point where I'm amazed they got a career out of it (unless they did something else too??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

watched "the matrix revolutions" and ended up liking it more than i remembered. needed waaaaay more fights tho. there's 1 shootout and 1 kinda lame punch fight, and a dozen war/chase scenes. they really needed to stick to their roots and show more martial arts with wire work and poo poo. also lmao that the movies just progressively become more star wars

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lib and let die posted:

Dear God I was starting to think I was the only one.

Too Many Cooks meant we all had to pretend Tim and Eric was good and not just absurdist stoner shlock.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the matrix has werewolves?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

HootTheOwl posted:

Too Many Cooks meant we all had to pretend Tim and Eric was good and not just absurdist stoner shlock.

too many cooks is decent, probably mostly because Tim and or Eric weren’t involved

Serf
May 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

yeah in reloaded they say that ghosts, vampires and werewolves are rogue programs and monica bellucci shoots a guy with a silver bullet saying its the only thing that will kill him

its stupid and i love it

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Judakel posted:

who else would the vampires be fighting? use your head

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

who in 2021 cares about adult swim

im honestly scratching my head as to why theyre even still around their whole gimmick was weird programming in unusual timeslots and we now live in an era where we can watch weird programming at whatever stupid time of day we want

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/REasther/status/1439412104386150400

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Tim & Eric got us On Cinema at the Cinema so it's alright in my book

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in less nerdbaity posting i just got back from the aretha franklin biopic respect and actually liked it quite a bit the usual biopic tropes are all there but it deals a lot more with the actual music than the petty personal drama

theres some major dark irony in how after domineering father and domineering husband franklin herself becomes the domineer and its interesting how the first two come off more as gently caress ups who are products of their backgrounds so when franklin does the same thing they become more sympathetic despite still being assholes

i also liked how the movie very subtly depicted racism as real despite not actually having any racist white characters because all the white characters still acknowledge it but the black characters are still very preemptively defensive about being stereotyped because white supremacy really fucks with their sense of self even if its not physically in the room with them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in summary i thought this late exchange was funny as hell

ok you can make a gospel album but i want to send a documentary crew because people all over the world are curious about your background and will want to know why youre making a gospel album

what people you mean WHITE PEOPLE

...yes...

thats actually a really good idea sure lets do it

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

skipmyseashells posted:

who else would the vampires be fighting? use your head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afC2nuGiQfc

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Tim and Eric are loving visionaries, sometimes I revisit Awesome Show or TGTTM and get impressed all over again, also them stopping their movie to deadpan explain the concept of comic relief is still one of my favorite comedic beats in any media current or historic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSX2EM6k8Uo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

congratulations I guess

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

indigi posted:

too many cooks is decent, probably mostly because Tim and or Eric weren’t involved

Well then I made a garbage post.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Mystery Men has such a ridiculous cast.

like even ignoring the main capes, you've got Wes Studi, Tom Waits, Artie Lange, Pras...

also it's extremely funny

A Flaming Carrot spin off requires nothing less than the most inspired casting.

Don't forget the Michael Bay cameo as gang leader of the Fratboys!

Mystery men slaps

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
always lol every time im reminded that Mystery Men and Smash Mouth's All Star are deeply intertwined

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mystery men is maybe the most late 90s movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

i remember liking josie and the pussycats and i think that came out right before 9/11 when we were still innocent

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

im honestly scratching my head as to why theyre even still around their whole gimmick was weird programming in unusual timeslots and we now live in an era where we can watch weird programming at whatever stupid time of day we want

yeah pretty much. that said the ~2003 - 2009-ish period was golden age of AS. just a ton of weird experiment (often stoner but not always) shows that was great to put on after some intoxication late at night when the only other options are diabetes/mesothilienoma commercials, and a bunch of poo poo.. sealab, moral orel, 12 oz mouse, squid, athf, metapoc, frisky dingo, space ghost, harvey, early robo chicken, venture bros, etc

by 2011 it was pretty much a wasteland of it's former self having killed off their experimental side and mostly just running re-runs and syndicated programming. ime the more Tim & Eric

now a days you can put on whenever you want at whenever you want and easier than ever to curate own tv-like channels

edit: I guess they still have Eric Andre, Rick & Morty going on, and Primal was v good. though i imagine most people pirate it these days but maybe im wrong there

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:14 on Sep 20, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
TGTTM benefited a lot from the first episode being largely a Tenacious D bit.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
maybe I just missed the moment when it was popular but having someone show me squidbillies a few years ago, its really loving good and seems underrated

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

squidbillies is good

i think Smiling Friends is the only AS thing I've given a poo poo about in the last decade and who knows, it might suck and the first episode was one of those lightning-in-a-bottle pilots that should have stayed a one off

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dreylad posted:

maybe I just missed the moment when it was popular but having someone show me squidbillies a few years ago, its really loving good and seems underrated

oh hell yeah, i forgot about squidbillies

squidbillies owns

i feel like mighty boosh was ok too? better than anything t&e put out, but that's not a high bar to clear

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Dan Halen is the perfect embodiment of the local capitalist tyrant who basically does whatever the gently caress he wants from salting the earth or upsetting the very balance of creation

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Dan Halen is the perfect embodiment of the local capitalist tyrant who basically does whatever the gently caress he wants from salting the earth or upsetting the very balance of creation

grannie owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8GXgXNatjg

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

rip Billy Joe Shaver

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
surprised you guys aren't talking about the emmys. so much for the pop culture thread

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Remember when Unknown Hinson lost his job voicing one of the squidbillies characters because he talked poo poo to Dolly Parton?

Adult Swim died when Mike Lazzo left.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Judakel posted:

surprised you guys aren't talking about the emmys. so much for the pop culture thread

the crown is poop from a butt

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

the crown is poop from a butt

it is very boring op

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I remember them saying they'd continue Squidbillies without Hinson which is like why bother

I went to one of his concerts like 10 years ago and he's one of the best guitarists I've ever seen live. He tours in a tricked out 1960s hearse

Serf
May 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

i walked through a room where it was on and there was one category where actors from ted lasso were nominated for 5/7 slots lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

caring about the emmys in 2021 is weird if you don’t work for one of the shows nominated. even if you’re married or related to someone who was nominated iby s a bit much

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Serf posted:

i walked through a room where it was on and there was one category where actors from ted lasso were nominated for 5/7 slots lol

it captures the mood of the country: blissfully delusional

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
yeah it was quite obviously tim apple dipping into his money vat to buy apple tv+ some credibility. tom hanks alone clearly ain't cutting it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Judakel posted:

All the pop culture shows didn't get a single Emmy.

lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DesertIslandHermit posted:

All the pop culture shows didn't get a single Emmy.

lmao

please elaborate

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

indigi posted:

please elaborate

Disney shows and MCU stuff like Mandalorian and Wandavision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Disney shows and MCU stuff like Mandalorian and Wandavision

oh lol