Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is there a point to doing Forestry in GTNH?

Multifarms are great for ic2 crops!
You may be referring to tree breeding. In that case no, there's no significant reason to crossbreed trees. You can get better seed oil production from some trees, food journal completion for the forestry-only fruits and nuts(which doesn't contribute much since it gives a bonus based on saturation), and the trees have different color wood... that's it.

You may also be referring to bees. Bees are roughly equivalent to ic2 crops. You can just wait until you get access to gendustry and force-crossbreed everything.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

and by gendustry mcfrugal means binnie's genetics because gendustry was removed a while back.

i will say bees have a big advantage over ic2 crops in that the crops only go up to a certain material tier (like tungsten or so), but there's a bee for basically everything in the game

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I like integrated dynamics (it's immensely powerful for what it does) but it's like psi in that if you don't gel with the programming minigame you're going to have a bad time

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

GetDunked posted:

I like integrated dynamics (it's immensely powerful for what it does) but it's like psi in that if you don't gel with the programming minigame you're going to have a bad time

Haha yeah I was thinking that I was basically making an abstract syntax tree with tokens when playing around with that mod.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
When I can walk up to an ME terminal and say, “Gimme 5 T5 micro-miners,” I’m feeling pretty swell.

Of course, I have to go do something else for the 10 minutes it takes to make them :buddy:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've been playing ME5 and just... hitting a brick wall with the combat. I asked on the developer's discord how I get gear that doesn't suck and the answer was "get it from boxes, you can't make your own gear out of any remotely good materials" and the box materials I can get all suck utterly. Anyone got any advice? I might just cheat in a drat smeltery, having TiCon and disabling the smeltery is stupid.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

I've been playing ME5 and just... hitting a brick wall with the combat. I asked on the developer's discord how I get gear that doesn't suck and the answer was "get it from boxes, you can't make your own gear out of any remotely good materials" and the box materials I can get all suck utterly. Anyone got any advice? I might just cheat in a drat smeltery, having TiCon and disabling the smeltery is stupid.

"get it from boxes" I believe refers to getting fully-formed weapons from boxes. The parts from boxes really do suck until like, high tier boxes. You can also just craft swords (and axes) from ingots, iirc. I think that's better than trying to use tcon weapons, for like half the modpack.

On the other hand, even low level crossbow materials work fine, because of how crossbows work.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I wound up losing most of my stuff to a creeper blowing it all into the void in the part where you have to crawl around the outside of the station (I broke my grave, creeper spawned and beelined for me, kaboom before I could gather much of it) so I gave up for the moment. Might try it again another time on KeepInventory instead of Graves, the Graves option imo adds absolutely nothing of value to the game but tedium and frustration doing corpse runs. In the meanwhile, I'll probably do my umpteenth play of Blightfall or try out FTB Academy and catch up on what the hell's going on in minecraft these days, I haven't played a ton of modded since like 1.7, other than a runthrough of Dungeons, Dragons, Dimensions, and Spaceships at one point.

ME5 is a very neat pack, it just definitely felt like I was playing with my hands tied behind my back with TiCon being gutted, and I was a fool to say "eh how hard can it be" and set it to Graves in the beginning. The answer, of course, is quite damned hard :v:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Magres posted:

I wound up losing most of my stuff to a creeper blowing it all into the void in the part where you have to crawl around the outside of the station (I broke my grave, creeper spawned and beelined for me, kaboom before I could gather much of it) so I gave up for the moment. Might try it again another time on KeepInventory instead of Graves, the Graves option imo adds absolutely nothing of value to the game but tedium and frustration doing corpse runs. In the meanwhile, I'll probably do my umpteenth play of Blightfall or try out FTB Academy and catch up on what the hell's going on in minecraft these days, I haven't played a ton of modded since like 1.7, other than a runthrough of Dungeons, Dragons, Dimensions, and Spaceships at one point.

ME5 is a very neat pack, it just definitely felt like I was playing with my hands tied behind my back with TiCon being gutted, and I was a fool to say "eh how hard can it be" and set it to Graves in the beginning. The answer, of course, is quite damned hard :v:

Have you tried Ultimate Alchemy? It's 1.7 but it's a pretty unique and short pack of building weird-rear end automation chains.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah, don't play ME5 with graves. I don't know why that is even an option, personally. Keepinventory is basically required on any modpack where falling into the void is a regular threat and so much of your inventory is hard to replace. Also trying to get to a grave near spawners in ME5 without your best gear is like slamming your face into a wall.

I guess you can bandaid it by switching to Peaceful whenever you need to recover a grave?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Have you tried Ultimate Alchemy? It's 1.7 but it's a pretty unique and short pack of building weird-rear end automation chains.

Sold, I like weird! Sounds fun, and I'm no stranger to 1.7. At risk of being that dude who's obsessed with 1.2 but for 1.7 instead, I still think 1.7 was the peak of minecraft modding so far, but that opinion is certainly buoyed by Blightfall. Either way, it's the version of modded minecraft I'm most at home with, so Ultimate Alchemy sounds rad.

McFrugal posted:

Yeah, don't play ME5 with graves. I don't know why that is even an option, personally. Keepinventory is basically required on any modpack where falling into the void is a regular threat and so much of your inventory is hard to replace. Also trying to get to a grave near spawners in ME5 without your best gear is like slamming your face into a wall.

I guess you can bandaid it by switching to Peaceful whenever you need to recover a grave?

Yeah I think ME5 will actually be really fun without Graves, when dying means just hoofing it back to where I was and trying again, not "oh boy time to spend the next half hour trying to get back to my death spot with zero gear." The other thing I found out late last night that I didn't realize is that "Normal" is meant, per the developer, to be the right difficulty for 2-3 person multiplayer, not solo play. I could also see Graves being a lot less harsh in multiplayer where if you die your friends can throw up defensive fortifications to make your gravestone accessible for you to make a corpse run.

A version of Graves that doesn't screw you over on void deaths would be pretty rad - just like, spawn the Grave at/near the home spawnpoint if you die to void damage, problem solved. Though even that wouldn't have fixed me breaking my grave then having it all get blown into the distance before I could get at it, haha.

On a semi-related note for ME5 stuff, how the hell do you fight Silverfish and Endermites without it being a raging exercise in frustration? Holy hell I hate those little bastards, and getting past them in the first and third zones was terrible.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Magres posted:

I think the ME packs are so loving cool, and then I play them for a bit and remember I have absolutely no love for the combat in Minecraft and usually give up pretty quick, or just turn on peaceful which either makes them kinda boring or makes certain parts broken.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh lovely. Trying to run a LAN server so I can play with my girlfriend and we're getting mysterious netty errors that are apparently super rare so there's barely anything about it on the internet yaay

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Assline automated, finally

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is there a point to doing Forestry in GTNH?
If they let you do charcoal pits those are always insane early game. Unless they got nerfed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

If they let you do charcoal pits those are always insane early game. Unless they got nerfed.

Those aren't present in 1.7.10, BUT there's a very cheap charcoal pit multiblock that does more or less the same thing in GTNH.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Playing through Project Ozone 2 and I’m using the agricraft-enabled EIO farming station to auto upgrade my magical crop seeds. What’s the best farm layout to get 10/10/10 the fastest? I have 5x5 plotted right now but I think that is mainly cascading weaker seeds down. I thought about changing the tilled soil layout to 3x3 or even 2x2 to force mutations faster for the farming station.

I’ve got agricraft sprinklers running and crops grow really fast. It’s just it takes a long time for the machine to finally breed a max seed. If I did it myself using a 3x3 and starting with parent seeds in the corners, it usually only takes a few rounds of that to max out a seed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It has been years since PO2 but in PO3 the best way was a single long line of crop sticks with a 3x wide pool of growth lilypads underneath the entire length. It would be 10/10/10 in a few minutes that way.

Personally my setup had 4 rows at 32 length each and 9 wide lilypads underneath it all. So stone-dirt-stone-dirt-stone-dirt-stone-dirt-stone. Super simple.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 20, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm starting to stumble into the mid-game in Omnifactory with the simultaneous chemistry paths. I'm trying to figure out how I should be setting myself up here versus just kind of hitting each quest one at a time.

I see I can make some of the chemicals from wood, and I have a pyrolyse oven doing nothing right now, so I was thinking it was time to set up a tree farm (also, sometimes I just need some planks and sticks) to produce coke and some chemical byproducts. I think there's a path to methanol from that too. Is that a decent direction or should I get to methanol through biomass elsewhere?

Will I be using acetic acid soon for anything? Vinegar isn't even popping up in anything yet but it's a simple next step and I'm wondering if I should ignore it or prepare for it.

Can I confirm that I need to anticipate needing gelid cryotheum? I can start making it but I don't know what for.

I've started to produce (and consume) deuterium so I know it's useful at least for modularum ingots.

Edit: Does anybody know why the AE2 terminal GUI would close if I hit 'T' without focusing on the search bar? It loves to slam me out of the GUI in the middle of typing "steel" or "interface."

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 20, 2021

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: Does anybody know why the AE2 terminal GUI would close if I hit 'T' without focusing on the search bar? It loves to slam me out of the GUI in the middle of typing "steel" or "interface."

Inventory screen: lower left there's an NEI settings button. click inventory, then key mapping. there's a thing mapped to t that searches inventories and it closes AE terminals. just remap it to whatever else that you won't use in AE. dunno how to unmap it fully

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I see I can make some of the chemicals from wood, and I have a pyrolyse oven doing nothing right now, so I was thinking it was time to set up a tree farm (also, sometimes I just need some planks and sticks) to produce coke and some chemical byproducts. I think there's a path to methanol from that too. Is that a decent direction or should I get to methanol through biomass elsewhere?
You can make a lot of useful stuff from charcoal byproducts from the pyrolyse oven, including that methanol, but that'll also take something like four distillation towers if you want to fully automate it. For a while I just used a few distilleries to extract the specific chemicals I wanted from the charcoal byproducts (mainly for phenol and acetone, I think) even though that's pretty inefficient, until I had the resources for the distillation towers.

I made a bunch of methanol from fermented biomass, but in hindsight that probably wasn't very efficient, and most of its products can be made other ways. Biomass is just easy to get going early with the excess from something like sugar cane farming.

quote:

Will I be using acetic acid soon for anything? Vinegar isn't even popping up in anything yet but it's a simple next step and I'm wondering if I should ignore it or prepare for it.

Can I confirm that I need to anticipate needing gelid cryotheum? I can start making it but I don't know what for.
Both of these will primarily be for making draconium ingots, which you don't need to worry about until you've got naquadah access.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Halibut Barn posted:

For a while I just used a few distilleries to extract the specific chemicals I wanted from the charcoal byproducts (mainly for phenol and acetone, I think) even though that's pretty inefficient, until I had the resources for the distillation towers.

Huh so you keep using phenol? I was making circuit boards with that for awhile but I dropped it when I went up a circuit tier.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh so you keep using phenol? I was making circuit boards with that for awhile but I dropped it when I went up a circuit tier.
I think I'm still using it for the multi-layer fiber circuit boards via the bisphenol A route. There's an alternate route for that with naphtha, but I crack and distill all my naphtha instead. I'm tempted to go back and rework some of those older processes, but...lazy...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Gelid is the best coolant for NuclearCraft fission reactors, that's a bit down the track and there's a fair bit to be made for a good-sized reactor (my favourite model is a 13x13x13 with 9 rods, very stable, moderately hungry), you'll need a good few pressurized fluid containers. Do it when you get there.

I'm nearing the end of LV myself with Omnifactory, not automating a lot just yet, I want to get into the next tier of storage where I can filter things a bit better. I know this modpack is all about the factory for it's own sake but I'm also asking what do you DO with all this stuff lol.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 21, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Seems some of the newer Fabric Modpacks take Java 16 which I couldnt even find an installer for, just a zip to extract and point MultiMC to.
Sadly the 1.17 Fabric modpacks only seem to have Tech Reborn in which I am not a fan of.
Soon more tech mods, hopefully.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

ewe2 posted:

Gelid is the best coolant for NuclearCraft fission reactors, that's a bit down the track and there's a fair bit to be made for a good-sized reactor (my favourite model is a 13x13x13 with 9 rods, very stable, moderately hungry), you'll need a good few pressurized fluid containers. Do it when you get there.

I'm nearing the end of LV myself with Omnifactory, not automating a lot just yet, I want to get into the next tier of storage where I can filter things a bit better. I know this modpack is all about the factory for it's own sake but I'm also asking what do you DO with all this stuff lol.

The factory must expand, to service the expanding factory!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ash Rose posted:

I think the ME packs are so loving cool, and then I play them for a bit and remember I have absolutely no love for the combat in Minecraft and usually give up pretty quick, or just turn on peaceful which either makes them kinda boring or makes certain parts broken.

I think my biggest mistake, one that I make in basically all 1.12+ packs, was accepting melee as the dominant form of combat. I switched to ranged in desperation when my only good sword was stuck in a grave and it was like night and day - even a mediocre longbow and arrows cobbled together out of whatever the hell I had on hand was worlds better than the sword I'd worked on most of the pack. The only scenario I can really imagine melee being genuinely better than ranged is if you have a clusterfuck swarm of Endermites or Silverfish (which, admittedly, both occur in the first three worlds) for which I'd want the absolute fastest spamclickingest melee possible. Other than that? If you get silver parts from the drop boxes, make a bow and some arrows each with silver parts (the significant majority of the mobs I've fought were beefed up skeletons and zombies, silver parts confer a huge damage bonus against undead), and you'll be able to oneshot kill most early stuff. And the pack absolutely showers you in silver ore in the third zone so you'll never want for repair materials.

But if even the ranged combat is no fun for you, yeah the ME packs are all going to bite. I liked the 1.7 melee combat decently, I hate 1.12+ melee combat because the game is too laggy and your reach too lovely to reliably connect in melee without getting hit unless you do sword and shield and let them bump on your shield, attack, wait until they bump again, etc etc etc. It's an agonizingly boring way to fight, and I'm almost always a fiend for sword and shield combat in games.

Anyone know, are there any mods that mess with or can mess with how far your melee reaches? I've always wanted some weapon variety for melee combat, and reach is such a big part of that.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
where do I get the dev branch of omnifactory? I'm not going to wait for the final release.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
https://nightly.link/OmnifactoryDevs/Omnifactory/workflows/nightly/dev

I recommend joining their Discord as well for a bunch of excellent guides and whatnot: https://discord.gg/jEEq7u5

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Very basic question, but what's the best way to automate the energizing orb from Powah in Valhelsia? There are too many tech mods in here and I am behind on what's possible.

All I really need to do is have pipes that keep a maximum amount of an item in the orb. I have Mek pipes set to route emeralds to it but it just fills it up when it needs precisely 1 to energize it

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What are the threads thoughts on The Between Lands and the Better Minecraft modpack?

I assume they can't be combined because between lands is 1.12 and Better Minecraft is 1.65

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What are the threads thoughts on The Between Lands and the Better Minecraft modpack?

I assume they can't be combined because between lands is 1.12 and Better Minecraft is 1.65

I presume you meant 1.16.5, and you are correct, you can't load mods for 1.12 in 1.16.5.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I seem to be having an issue with Mekanism 9.8.3.390, the 4x ore Elite factories.
The crusher, enricher, smelter etc, one machine will be sitting there not emptying out half it's slots because the next machine thinks it's full even when only 2 slots in the next machine are being used.

Anyone know what issue I'm talking about?

[edit] Minecraft 1.12.x

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks to everybody for talking about Omnifactory a bunch ITT. Y'all got me interested enough to play it and now I'm wading in to MV after just now setting up a big DML self-feeding loop. This modpack is amazing. I'm going to go for GT:NH after I finish tihs.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Impermanent posted:

Thanks to everybody for talking about Omnifactory a bunch ITT. Y'all got me interested enough to play it and now I'm wading in to MV after just now setting up a big DML self-feeding loop. This modpack is amazing. I'm going to go for GT:NH after I finish tihs.

Fair warning, GT:NH is far less friendly and is best played with a certain amount of cheating. Personally I turn off explosions in the configs, keep inventory on and mob griefing off, give myself the top tier electric prospector's scanner, and use waypoints and teleportation. There's just not enough time in a day to deal with losing progress or core sampling for ore veins until tier 7 or whatever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Fair warning, GT:NH is far less friendly and is best played with a certain amount of cheating. Personally I turn off explosions in the configs, keep inventory on and mob griefing off, give myself the top tier electric prospector's scanner, and use waypoints and teleportation. There's just not enough time in a day to deal with losing progress or core sampling for ore veins until tier 7 or whatever.

I didn't bother with teleportation, but I did delete infernalmobs and specialmobs from the mod list. Otherwise, yeah, make sure to do all that. It's a really fun modpack if you strip out the bullshit from five years ago.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have solid recommendations for Minecraft server hosting? I'm running a RAD (Roguelike Adventures and Dungeons) server on my machine, and it's fine, but it's also somewhat laggy (and I can't figure out how to run automatic restarts). I've been looking at a few, and they tend to run in the $25-30/month range for 6GB. Figured I'd ping here and see if anyone has experience or firsthand knowledge with some of the cheaper-end places.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I didn't bother with teleportation, but I did delete infernalmobs and specialmobs from the mod list. Otherwise, yeah, make sure to do all that. It's a really fun modpack if you strip out the bullshit from five years ago.

Oh yup, that, too. I don't usually remove infernal mobs but I cut down the list of powers. Anything that reflects damage or conditions is total horseshit. Like oh here's a mob with 200 hp and every time you hit it you take that much damage or get withered/poisoned/burned. Not fun or interesting, just actual unkillable bullshit.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I decided to start a new Omnifactory run because I wanted to play dev, and do early passive crafts from the get go. One thing I can’t figure out is how to make sugarcane grow on snad as fast as some of the YouTubers I see doing it. I have redstone conduits hooked up to a timer ticking very fast with strong signal on the input and outputs on each snad block, but no matter how I vary the timer it just grows at the same fast-ish rate, but it can’t even keep up with the consumption of two steam boilers. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Comparator clock.

Point single light end at output. Feed output back to the side of the comparator. Put a lever on the two-bulb side of comparator. Rclick the single bulb. Flip the lever. Crash server with tons of sugar cane.

Edit: use dust for the immediate loop and you can see if it is working if it starts to put on a disco party lighting up. I think conduits do work but you don't get the visual cue.