Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Riot Bimbo posted:

To y'all with Corliss books, please please digitize i know it's an annoying daunting amount of work but pleeeeeeeease
Piracy is bad and absolutely nobody is doing this or planning to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How is it piracy if they're out of print and the guy is dead? Or do you mean """piracy"""

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Seems like that'd be literally copyright infringement, but the onus is on the son to decide what to do with it and it seems like he doesn't have time for that sort of thing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

someone could just email him and ask if he'd be cool with digitizing them :shrug:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI&t=40s

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Riot Bimbo posted:

To y'all with Corliss books, please please digitize i know it's an annoying daunting amount of work but pleeeeeeeease

A MIRACLE posted:

book scanners are much faster than they used to be at least. used to take 10 seconds between scans to convert the image into the right format. so you would scan, click a few buttons, wait, turn the page while waiting, and try to time the next scan as fast as you could the instant it was available again. lol

WEH posted:

Yeah these books absolutely need to be digitized

i think i said this already but i contacted my university library asking about their rare science books digitization so my hope is they will say "sure if these people send us books we can digitize them" and then we can work together in the thread to make it happen

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A-71kMoYTs

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Wheeee posted:

Lue is the kind of guy who’d give a stranger the shirt off his back, a real modern age Samaritan, and also would waterboard the poo poo out of that stranger if it was necessary for national security.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Wheeee posted:

:tinylue: is the kind of guy who’d give a stranger the shirt off his back, a real modern age Samaritan, and also would waterboard the poo poo out of that stranger if it was necessary for national security.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Just email the son and ask if he would like it digitized then give him an ocr'd pdf and let him do what he wants with it.

Naybe he'll give you more books to scan and keep in return for the files that he could probably sell for a few bucks online.

my bony fealty posted:

someone could just email him and ask if he'd be cool with digitizing them :shrug:

Yeah this.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If we get a blessing and a way to do it I have a complete set I can at least lend for the endeavor.

If he doesn't want to go the hassle of selling digital versions I'd love to see these things on archive.org

And there seem to be some decent document scanners in the $2-300 range but naturally I'd like to see it done properly if we can manage

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Demilich posted:

Just email the son and ask if he would like it digitized then give him an ocr'd pdf and let him do what he wants with it.

Naybe he'll give you more books to scan and keep in return for the files that he could probably sell for a few bucks online.

Yeah this.

the big thing i'm unsure about is if my uni library will do a scan and digitize on things not in the collection so depending on what they say about that i can hit up Svejk or email the son and ask if he can do a solid

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I mean I'll happily donate them if that's what it takes to preserve them

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Lit were better than Blink One Aiiittee Tyoo

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Ancient Man has been scanned, but that’s it as far as I can find.

If they are permanently out of print without plans to reprint them, “piracy” concerns are out the window and it’s a disservice to his legacy to not reproduce them. It’s precisely the reason why digital preservation is important.

Will be interesting to see what his son thinks about it.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

Ancient Man has been scanned, but that’s it as far as I can find.

If they are permanently out of print without plans to reprint them, “piracy” concerns are out the window and it’s a disservice to his legacy to not reproduce them. It’s precisely the reason why digital preservation is important.

Will be interesting to see what his son thinks about it.

wont someone please think of the paper ephemera antiquities dealers?!

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

munce posted:

https://twitter.com/GaryVoorhis/status/1436397014040842280

One of the US navy ufo sighting guys is looking for one of the Corliss books that i'm pretty sure you guys bought the last copies of.

Everyone wanting to get on the luminous phenomena train.

:lol: owned

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

:ohdear:

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1439599049854832646?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntfbrKrl6nE

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

elder ‘oo-zondo sighs as he approaches the erupting volcano and turns the cloaking field all the way off, maybe this time the loving apes will pay attention and they can get this contact process going and done

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheeee posted:

elder ‘oo-zondo sighs as he approaches the erupting volcano and turns the cloaking field all the way off, maybe this time the loving apes will pay attention and they can get this contact process going and done

the ufo lands and from its interior emerges :tinylue:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Slavvy posted:

How is it piracy if they're out of print and the guy is dead? Or do you mean """piracy"""

show some respect

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We sent our best, we sent :tinylue:

When the invasion ships came, the hatches opened and thousands upon thousands of :tinylue: emerged. But they didn't want to grill.

Also that is some mad Spaniard trying to write off his drone for the YT hits, try again birds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Google Butt posted:

show some respect

For the dead dude who doesn't care cause he's dead, or for copyright law?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Slavvy posted:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Slavvy posted:

for pirates

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

for pirates

No way, I got mad respect for third world peasants enriching themselves while disrupting billion dollar shipping industry bullshit, good for them

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

we ask not of necessity but of politeness

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
where are the loving ufos im so bored of this poo poo!!!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

look inside yourself, you are the ufos scott

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
look inside this: :tinylue:

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Fly Ricky posted:

look inside this: :tinylue:

Lue “Goatse” Elizondo

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Thinking we've ever come into contact with another intelligent species from beyond our planet is some really powerful earthling exceptionalism considering the probabilities.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Who said there was contact? They mostly either don’t care or are just pointing and laughing at us.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

Thinking we've ever come into contact with another intelligent species from beyond our planet is some really powerful earthling exceptionalism considering the probabilities.

Thinking you have any footing at all to declare our understanding of the universe so firm and so thorough—in the face of our present era during which we have peered out to the edge of the universe, into the seemingly infinite complexity of biological systems, deeper still into quantum fuckery, and every step of the way find out we don’t actually know poo poo, we only have incomplete models that mostly work—is some really powerful bazinga-brain small minded NDT poo poo.

we don’t know what the fuckin probabilities are, only that they seem to keep going up every time we learn something new about the universe

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

moltres

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

for real though as much as I love shitposting about aliens, an actively erupting volcano is the last place I'm going to declare weird luminous phenomena to be a UFO (except in the most literal sense.) Even discounting someone messing with a drone for kicks, there's so much weird electrostatic poo poo going on in the air I wouldn't be surprised to see a perfect, massive hologram of :tinylue:

Log082 has issued a correction as of 13:33 on Sep 20, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Break down these probabilities for us. With numbers. I want to see your math.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Rynn posted:

Lue “Goatse” Elizondo

his dad was involved in the gape of pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

:tinylue: MOLTAR!!

WHAT!?