Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's actually a shame. While the movie may have sucked, I think that part where for some reason they abandon all the armies to have a weird platforming adventure in the ice would've made a good Lego level. Maybe a Lego Mongolian Death Worm could also be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Has there ever been a bad Lego game/show/movie come to think of it?

Any game with voice-acting in place of charades

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Nah, Lego TFA was still decent in my opinion (and it’s fun hearing the actors from the movie getting to take the piss out of themselves at times and say lines like “Wookie Cookie”).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

I hate to break it to you, but this is every lego game for the last decade.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Voice acting really helps the Lego games where they aren't directly adapting an existing movie / set of movies.

The real problem I have with recent Lego games is the loss of dynamic splitscreen.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1438548704139558914

:swoon: Lookatthelittlegreenjellybean

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

All episodes of Visions drop this Wednesday. Also the Wikipedia page has listed both an English and Japanese voice cast. The English voice cast has some fairly well-known names (Lucy Liu, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Temuera Morrison, Neil Patrick Harris, Alison Brie, , George Takei among many others), too bad you'd be a fool to watch it anything but subtitled.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I was fully ready to watch it with subtitles but that cast is just too juicy to pass up on. May just have to watch it twice. :v:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
watching in english with english subtitles

fite me

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watch it subbed the first time, then watch it dubbed so you can take in all the background details they shoved into every episode

Then watch it a third time for fun

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

Watch it subbed the first time, then watch it dubbed so you can take in all the background details they shoved into every episode

This is the way.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Vinylshadow posted:

Good thinking!

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised they're dropping all the episodes at once! I think this might be the first time they've done that for anything Star Wars or Marvel (obviously excluding older non-D+ series').

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vinylshadow posted:

teagone posted:

This is the way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

jassa posted:

Good thinking!

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised they're dropping all the episodes at once! I think this might be the first time they've done that for anything Star Wars or Marvel (obviously excluding older non-D+ series').

I mean, considering that the entire series is only 2 and a half hours long, it's more like they're dropping a movie in segments.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

teagone posted:

This is the way.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Soonmot posted:

watching in english with english subtitles

fite me

I already do this, but I am 40 and have damaged my hearing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

I already do this, but I am 40 and have damaged my hearing.

Same, pal. Same.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Whaddup bad hearing 40 somethings goon club.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Apropos of hearing, I couldn't imagine leaving the subtitles off for series that have a lot of made-up technobabble lore terms ala Farscape or Stargate

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I still have good hearing but I also have tinnitus, so that's a fun combo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Subtitles are cool and good and they're my friend.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Gotta have subtitles on so I can eat snacks without missing anything over the horrifying chomping of my goony maw

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Watched The Twins and The Ninth Jedi so far. They're pretty good, but I think I overhyped myself lol. Gonna temper my expectations for the rest when I get around to them later today.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Duel was only 13 minutes long, but it felt like twice that, which is always a good sign

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

The Duel was only 13 minutes long, but it felt like twice that, which is always a good sign

The Duel was amazing, The Twins and Tatooine Rhapsody, not so much.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Tier List

S TIER
The Elder
The Bride
The 9th Jedi
Lop & Ocho
The Duel

A Tier
T0BI
The Twins
Akakiri (?)

B Tier
Tatooine Rhapsody

I want a million more star wars animes done in the style of The 9th Jedi / The Elder / The Bride / Lop & Ocho - great aesthetic and loved them. I think the 9th Jedi is my favorite of the bunch, but the Elder was really loving good too. The Bride has maybe my favorite integration of the force. Lop & Ocho just had insane animation, I loved how expressive the sister was and she had such a great character design.

Akakiri was my favorite of the A tier shorts. I loved the stupid creatures and the peasant guides.

The 9th Jedi apparently takes place after TROS, like hundreds of years or whatever, but gently caress give me Rian Johnson's trilogy in this version of star wars! Give me more anime of this! It was really super sick, I loved how evil the design for the lord was but he ended up being a sick rear end Jedi. Watching those Sith get loving wrecked was awesome. I love the concept of the lightsabers being forged in such a way to respond to the users will, with the last sith standing having his saber go from red to purple by the end and our protagonist having hers go from clear to green. Juro's saber was sick too with the hilt guard ring of saber energy.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 22, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The Elder is kinda my favorite because a lot of it is just two chill-rear end Jedi being chill-rear end Jedi like we all imagine them but never get to see.

All were very good, even the not great ones.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My rankings.

If you got no time and need to watch the best ones:
The Duel
The Bride
The 9th Jedi
The Elder
Lop & Ocho

The OK ones to watch when you can:
Akakiri
T0-B1

Don't bother unless you're a completionist:
The Twins
Tatooine Rhapsody

Out of all the them EP01, The Duel, was by far my favorite. The animation style was unique, fight itself was insanely fun, and you can just *feel* a deep backstory going on.

Jerkface posted:

I want a million more star wars animes done in the style of The 9th Jedi / The Elder / The Bride / Lop & Ocho - great aesthetic and loved them. I think the 9th Jedi is my favorite of the bunch, but the Elder was really loving good too. The Bride has maybe my favorite integration of the force. Lop & Ocho just had insane animation, I loved how expressive the sister was and she had such a great character design.

Yes, I'd love to see more done in the future like these. Also hard agree on Ocho's design. I was getting some real S03 Azula vibes from her expressions and movements.

Akakiri was close to being in the must see list, but for me the weird face designs and animations was just unsettling enough to be distracting to me.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Only two episodes in and I liked Tatooine Rhapsody a lot more then the duel. Also glee is totally the kid that ahsoka saved in the clone wars tv show moive.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean I didn't hate T Rhap like most people but what

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wish D+ had English subs that weren't just closed captions of the dub though.

E: Watched the Duel before work. Dang, that's pretty good.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 22, 2021

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Was only able to watch The Duel, Rhapsody on Tatooine, The Twins and The Bride so far.

The Bride was easily my favorite so far, with The Duel close behind. I loved the animation on The Twins, but not so much the rest of it. Rhapsody was pretty weak. The most I could muster was "cute."

And yeah, the captions are not actual translations, they're just captioning the dub localization. Sucks.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The 9th Jedi apparently takes place after TROS, like hundreds of years or whatever, but gently caress give me Rian Johnson's trilogy in this version of star wars! Give me more anime of this! It was really super sick, I loved how evil the design for the lord was but he ended up being a sick rear end Jedi. Watching those Sith get loving wrecked was awesome. I love the concept of the lightsabers being forged in such a way to respond to the users will, with the last sith standing having his saber go from red to purple by the end and our protagonist having hers go from clear to green. Juro's saber was sick too with the hilt guard ring of saber energy.

Yeah, I was totally expecting the margrave to be a Sith setting a trap, which while a bit too obvious a possibility in retrospect, still made for a pleasant surprise when he appeared and promptly proceeded to lay waste.

Only watched that, The Duel, and The Elder so far, but already I am hoping for more seasons in the near future.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
They need to expand some of these shorts into full on shows. The 9th jedi, lop and the elder all feel like pilots for future shows.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’d absolutely watch more The Ninth Jedi ft. The Old Droid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Duel was fun. I liked the scrap heap First Order armour.

Tatooine Rhapsody feels built on half baked ideas. The kid being a jedi added nothing to the story, Boba Fett was a glorified cameo, none of the band members felt at all well defined beyond the faintest outlines, and the music was lame buttrock. Felt like the short kept cutting away the moment it looked like it might do something interesting and therefore expensive. You ever read a comic or a book where it's clear that the chosen topic is something the writer knows very little about? That's how this episode felt which is why it barely touched on anything and tried to ride it out on the art style alone.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
okay as an anime hater, i'm three episodes deep and the only one I've liked has been the first one which was amazing and looked like an animate lone wolf & cub

edit: fourth episode also terrible holy poo poo if you have 15 minutes to tell a story maybe speed things up.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 22, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Reading and hearing from people that Visions is probably at its best if you don't binge through the entire series and space out each episodes over time so they get some breathing room. Similiar to things like Love, Death and Robots.

But in this day in age, it's more likely that everyone will just rip through it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I feel like the show works as a glimpse at the kind of shows they might actually make in Star Wars, which is cool. There's a lot of mythologizing about Jedi and stuff that seems like tall tales or misconceptions like "lightsabers are mood rings" or "Droids can use the Force", and other rumors or stories that got filtered through a distorted oral history. The Twins definitely seems like someone heard about Luke & Leia being Vader's children, but just had a cursory knowledge of the actual events so rather than Luke leaving Tatooine to blow up the Death Star and reunite with his sister, they make a story about Luke leaving his sister, blowing up the Death Star Destroyer, and crash landing on Tatooine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Great:
The Ninth Jedi
The Elder
The Duel
Akakiri
Good:
Tatooine Rapsody
The Village Bride
Lame:
T0-B1
The Twins
Lopp and Ocho

What I find interesting is that for all they kept saying "Not constrained by continuity" you can easily fit pretty much all of what we saw on screen into canon easily. Especially since the ancient past is now so unexplored thanks to Legends being gone means you have a ton of time to fit stuff like the Elder and Akakiri. I like the idea of Ancient Star Wars being about wandering samurai Jedi saving planets from Sith bandit Warlords. It's a lot better and more creative than what Legends did, which was "The OT/PT repeat every twenty years for thousands of years".