Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jose posted:

yeah its clear after corbyn that left wing politics is an electoral dead end in the UK currently. Fortunately for everywhere not England it looks like the UK isn't going to be around that much longer

at this point I actually doubt it, seeing as there's no appetite for an independent Wales and the fashier parts of the Scottish independence movement are becoming louder and louder, to the point where I'm really not sure whether I'm going to vote Yes in the next indyref, if it even happens

but yeah, a united Ireland will be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh it's early days yet, i'd say. it is early days yet.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

like, I've said before that the last hope of Scottish unionism was Corbyn winning a majority in 2017, and I still feel that Scotland would currently be in the first months of a Labour government at Holyrood if Corbyn had won that majority, but at this point I doubt that the SNP will lead us to independence since they can't even get rid of all the fascists in their own ranks, and I know I'm not the only person to feel this way

e: idk, maybe I'm catastrophising, but whatever. Like I said, a united Ireland will be fun

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Venomous posted:

like, I've said before that the last hope of Scottish unionism was Corbyn winning a majority in 2017, and I still feel that Scotland would currently be in the first months of a Labour government at Holyrood if Corbyn had won that majority, but at this point I doubt that the SNP will lead us to independence since they can't even get rid of all the fascists in their own ranks, and I know I'm not the only person to feel this way

e: idk, maybe I'm catastrophising, but whatever. Like I said, a united Ireland will be fun

I mean what is the strategy for getting an independent Scotland? Win moral victories in public debate until the Tories agree? Protracted people's war?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i still feel like the united ireland discourse ignores that even while there is a slim majority in favour the people who don't want it really don't want it. god ask me about the time my (VERY VERY) unionist northern ireland neighbour reacted with "YOU MEAN NORTHERN IRELAND" when i asked her about her recent irish trip, lol

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

^tbh I am largely shitposting w/r/t a united Ireland, b/c I am aware there are tons of logistical and economic hurdles that'll gently caress up Irish unification and make it inevitably not happen, but lmao if it actually happens under this loving government^

genericnick posted:

I mean what is the strategy for getting an independent Scotland? Win moral victories in public debate until the Tories agree? Protracted people's war?

well, it seems like the SNP's strategy at this point is to beg for indyref2 over and over again, and idk how far that'll get them lmao

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
What would have been the point of another indyref with a corbyn government?

Is it just a case of futureproofing the country from tories because what happens when the SNP need to rebrand? so much of scotland seems like it is still chronically ill with empire brain

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

What would have been the point of another indyref with a corbyn government?

That's the thing: there probably wouldn't have been another indyref under a Corbyn government. Corbyn wouldn't have been the answer to all of this lovely island's problems, but if he were in charge of a Labour government, he would have improved conditions in Scotland to the point that the appetite for independence would have gradually faded away by this point. Scottish nationalism, after all, is anti-Westminster by nature, and I guarantee the SNP would have governed to the right of Corbyn, to the point that Richard Leonard may well be First Minister by now in that alternate universe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
united ireland needs to wait until 2024 to prove star trek right

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

united ireland needs to wait until 2024 to prove star trek right

Taking into account the unityref, negotiations with the UK/EU and the time required to organise a celebratory pissup of that magnitude ... it becomes less likely every day sinn fein isn't in government

This probably means we are in the terran empire timeline

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Stay safe UK goons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reminder that lord walney is john woodcock who quit labour because he was under investigation for sexual harassment and quitting the party made it go away

https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1439645415838715908?s=20

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Stay safe UK goons.

CoolCab posted:

two more years. hoping i got the timing right, i really want a degree if i'm immigrating again :/

here's hoping

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

while she's big on defending slaver statues the very first thing nadine dorries did as DCMS was have this building delisted so it could be demolished

https://twitter.com/TWphotography92/status/1439423518404489221?s=20

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Bedshaped posted:

Taking into account the unityref, negotiations with the UK/EU and the time required to organise a celebratory pissup of that magnitude ... it becomes less likely every day sinn fein isn't in government

This probably means we are in the terran empire timeline

I think you're on to something

quote:

It is not clear when the Empire began. Captain Jonathan Archer once stated that the Empire had existed for "centuries" as of 2155. Archer did not mention how many centuries, but by his statement, the Empire can be traced back to at least 1955, suggesting that it was a Terran political unit before it became an interstellar empire :911:. Emperor Philippa Georgiou also claimed that Terrans had abolished compassionate ideologies "millennia ago" as of the 2250s. (ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly"; DIS: "Vaulting Ambition")

All very plausible

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CoolCab posted:

here's hoping
At least the tsunami is a very binary situation.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh Christ I thought that was in response to the food shortages lmao what fresh hell is this

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

lmao if a goddamn tsunami actually hits rainy terf island in the next year

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

seriously how are there so loving many cases where the british state risked being embarrassed only for the CPS under Starmer as DPP to totally gently caress it up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lynette_White#2011:_Police_corruption_trial

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Jose posted:

while she's big on defending slaver statues the very first thing nadine dorries did as DCMS was have this building delisted so it could be demolished

https://twitter.com/TWphotography92/status/1439423518404489221?s=20

It had only got Grade II listed status about a week prior occasioning heartwarming movie style celebrations about saving a piece of industrial heritage at the last gasp. Then the Tory tees valley mayor petitioned nadine Dorries to delist it as her literal first job in post and rush demo’d it over the weekend which was possibly a little less heartwarming albeit quite funny

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Venomous posted:

I regret to inform you that Mogwai was Always Bad

:kstare:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1439606294105759754

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
gee, i wonder

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if only there were some sort of job someone might have that would investigate that

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

More bizarre as he was anti-Corbyn!

But in his biog he says he supports Palestinian human rights.

It's probably the latter that is most important to the Starmsi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

anti-semitic trolls brigading me just because i was tommy robinson's lawyer

https://twitter.com/DanielBerke1/status/1439690672508899333?s=20

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jose posted:

if only there were some sort of job someone might have that would investigate that

She's blocking everyone who responds along those lines lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its incredible watching people who've completed rotted their brains about corbyn now going for rob delaney for some dodgyish jew jokes with the stuff in their twitter pasts being dredged up lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

its incredible watching people who've completed rotted their brains about corbyn now going for rob delaney for some dodgyish jew jokes with the stuff in their twitter pasts being dredged up lol

it's because they lost almost all of their relevance overnight and have been slowly but surely pushed aside or retired now they have lost their usefulness. see also why bald robert webb is doing dancing on ice or whatever.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nonsense posted:

Corbyn’s brother HITLER

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

reminder corbyns cat looks like hitler

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
They raised an antisemitically patterned cat into the air and shouted ‘gently caress capitalism’

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Rob Delaney is a good lad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Looke posted:

Rob Delaney is a good lad

he is and lol at someone from JLM with a photo of themselves wearing a maga hat going after him

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NileGardiner/status/1439753385092210690?s=20
https://twitter.com/NileGardiner/status/1439764463415087105?s=20

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
globe britain great planet

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
when you type it "Aukus" it looks like a name, loving idiot media. lol at bojos hair in that screenshot though. looks like 2 circular sweepers

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the fact they were self aware enough not to go with AUSUK, USUKA or USAUK is the most disappointing part of this whole story

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Quotey posted:

when you type it "Aukus" it looks like a name, loving idiot media. lol at bojos hair in that screenshot though. looks like 2 circular sweepers

They're all pronouncing it Orcus as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Venomous posted:

the fact they were self aware enough not to go with AUSUK, USUKA or USAUK is the most disappointing part of this whole story
it's not like they're trying to build a nuclear-powered robot