Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SRQ posted:

my dad brought up blockchain as a good way to have digital elections be secure and free and i said that had problems and he got pissy.

explain to me expert goons why "a chinese botnet could break consensus" is or isn't a problem and what problems would exist beyond that.
When he says blockchain is he just talking about pruned merkle trees or is he shorthanding the whole distributed ledger proof of X bullshit. If he can't answer laugh at him and leave. In either case ask exactly how he would use "blockchain" to ensure that the data being entered is valid in the first place without compromising voter anonymity, and when he can't answer laugh at him and leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Blockchain is usually signalling you're talking about Merkel trees because there's no reason to distribute something that can be managed by a trusted authority.

I can see getting tempted at a surface level by something a central authority can issue a one time use encryption personal key to manage identity with a Merkel tree constructing the results to make sure things aren't left out. But also these fix things that aren't the hard part about a national voting infrastructure.

E. Like if your problem is scary Chinese botnets you've hosed up your basic digital architecture in a way Blockchain doesn't fix.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 19, 2021

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

SRQ posted:

my dad brought up blockchain as a good way to have digital elections be secure and free and i said that had problems and he got pissy.

explain to me expert goons why "a chinese botnet could break consensus" is or isn't a problem and what problems would exist beyond that.

voting should be an easy to understand process. ideally even one a child can understand.

using a block chain would mean the majority of people would have no idea what happens to their vote other than it goes into a computer.

democracy needs trust in the electoral system to function.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You also don't need to automate something that happens every 2/4 years. You'll never work the bugs out because by the time you've tested it 10 times it's obsolete.

Paper is the way to go. Look at the Arizona recount. Even with a company trying as hard as they could to overturn the election with a fraudulent recount they only managed to find like 150 ballots to challenge out of millions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Voting fundamentally needs all the human and process resiliency you can put together because it needs to be something you can do and audit under systemic duress like war and natural disasters. There's ways for technology to help this (tabulators and communication of a result) and ways for technology to hurt this (voting as a digital system).

There's also social concerns on the enfranchisement of widely available polling places. Most voting equipment is scalable and pretty foolproof and the voting stations can be there if you want them. Shame there's a party who specifically wants to disenfranchise populations but well that only becomes easier when voting equipment is digital and expensive.

And auditability,

stinch posted:

voting should be an easy to understand process. ideally even one a child can understand.

using a block chain would mean the majority of people would have no idea what happens to their vote other than it goes into a computer.

democracy needs trust in the electoral system to function.
The average person doesn't know how the electromechanical voter marks the ballot or where the ballot goes or how the tabulator works or even where there vote goes physically next. The best systems let you look at your paper ballot and review that yeah, it's marked your choices. But the real auditors here are getting party representatives together for an equipment audit - no matter their background they can see the voting machine does it's thing neutrally and ballots are readable and the tabulator has no accuracy problems and the process works to count valid but problematic votes.

We lose a lot of that going to digital systems. We have not solved the subject matter expert audit problem, let alone letting someone of indistinctly technical background coming in to weigh in on it. Our ways of evaluating and auditing digital systems are probability based: we test and review tests and figure the vote's probably right because it was right in 100% of test cases, but you never test reality. Just something you hope is probably near reality. The inner workings are not obvious like even the more complicated voting machines and tabulators.

A lot of this applies to currency as well while we're in the Bitcoin thread. It can lean more digital since it's a continuous thing and we have chances to fix the digital issues but there's still a lot of leaning on proven fair and resilient processes using technology as an enablement instead of as it's basic structure.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Clearly the best application for the blockchain is for birth certificates and maybe keeping track of prisoners trading each other mackerals

drk
Jan 16, 2005

zedprime posted:

The average person doesn't know how the electromechanical voter marks the ballot or where the ballot goes or how the tabulator works or even where there vote goes physically next. The best systems let you look at your paper ballot and review that yeah, it's marked your choices.

This must differ from state to state, because I have no idea what you are talking about. I vote with a pen and paper, and its later scanned in via an optical reader of some sort. More or less the same technology that people use to take multiple choice tests (at least, used to when I was in school).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

drk posted:

This must differ from state to state, because I have no idea what you are talking about. I vote with a pen and paper, and its later scanned in via an optical reader of some sort. More or less the same technology that people use to take multiple choice tests (at least, used to when I was in school).
Using ballot marking devices as the most complicated end these things should be getting toward. Scantrons are great except for some of the accessibility and translation/readability vs size and cost concerns.

All physical ballot results are fundamentally readable for auditing but I don't count it as a success if you need reading glasses or a magnifying glass to see what you did if you're far sighted. But also a few states have experimented with fully digital ballots without paper record and that's a small nightmare of mine.

https://ballotpedia.org/Voting_methods_and_equipment_by_state

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EorayMel posted:

Clearly the best application for the blockchain is for birth certificates and maybe keeping track of prisoners trading each other mackerals control

Fixed it for you.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

drk posted:

It can literally vary county to county. Where I live we have digital machines with touchscreens that let you enter your vote. Once you confirm everything and hit the final VOTE button, you get a printout of your votes, so you can tell if anything changed. This then gets fed into a scanner and they keep the paper copies secure for later verification. There are poll workers available to help people with questions or disabilities. And now you get a neat little "I VOTED" stylus along with your sticker!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DrowningInDreams posted:

Also I bought an urbit planet because it reminded me of Shadowland BBS or Jackpoint from Shadowrun, which at the time I thought was coming true due to schizophrenia.

:hmmyes:

drk
Jan 16, 2005

vortmax posted:

It can literally vary county to county. Where I live we have digital machines with touchscreens that let you enter your vote. Once you confirm everything and hit the final VOTE button, you get a printout of your votes, so you can tell if anything changed. This then gets fed into a scanner and they keep the paper copies secure for later verification. There are poll workers available to help people with questions or disabilities. And now you get a neat little "I VOTED" stylus along with your sticker!

I wonder what the perceived advantage is to such a convoluted method for putting ink on paper. I would think way more people would have issue with the touchscreen than... a pen, but maybe not.

The area I live in is pretty tech-y, and digital voting like that was only here briefly before we switched back to paper. Maybe a coincidence, but probably not.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Dear law-goons, was this reviewed by a competent lawyer?

via https://beta.yearn.finance/disclaimer

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

drk posted:

Dear law-goons, was this reviewed by a competent lawyer?

via https://beta.yearn.finance/disclaimer

I am fairly sure there is no Iron Bank because GRR Martin will never write a new book

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Our ballots look like this:

It was kind of hard to find an image for one on a quick search, but it is pretty drat simple. Use a blue or black pen to fill in the circle, put it in the envelope and drop it off at a ballot return site or mail it back in (I think they are making them free to mail, but it used to always require a stamp if mailed).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

drk posted:

I wonder what the perceived advantage is to such a convoluted method for putting ink on paper. I would think way more people would have issue with the touchscreen than... a pen, but maybe not.

The area I live in is pretty tech-y, and digital voting like that was only here briefly before we switched back to paper. Maybe a coincidence, but probably not.

What happens if someone doesn't fill in the bubble all the way? What if they only fill in half the bubble? Does that count as a vote? What if they started to fill in one bubble, then realized they were doing the wrong one and stopped to fill in another one instead? And so on.

There are a lot of petty edge cases with pen-and-paper ballots that can lead to a panel of people having to literally have a debate about whether or not your vote should be counted, and if so, who it should be counted for. A digitally-filled paper ballot removes a lot of the potential ambiguity there, though of course it has its own issues.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am fairly sure there is no Iron Bank because GRR Martin will never write a new book

I wish it were a joke, but it appears to be the actual name of their lending program: https://beta.yearn.finance/#/ironbank

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

drk posted:

I wish it were a joke, but it appears to be the actual name of their lending program: https://beta.yearn.finance/#/ironbank

I hate you for telling me this

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It was kind of hard to find an image for one on a quick search, but it is pretty drat simple. Use a blue or black pen to fill in the circle, put it in the envelope and drop it off at a ballot return site or mail it back in (I think they are making them free to mail, but it used to always require a stamp if mailed).
Where do you write the numbers?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

What happens if someone doesn't fill in the bubble all the way? What if they only fill in half the bubble? Does that count as a vote? What if they started to fill in one bubble, then realized they were doing the wrong one and stopped to fill in another one instead? And so on.

There are a lot of petty edge cases with pen-and-paper ballots that can lead to a panel of people having to literally have a debate about whether or not your vote should be counted, and if so, who it should be counted for. A digitally-filled paper ballot removes a lot of the potential ambiguity there, though of course it has its own issues.

I don't know for sure, but Oregon has done it this way for years and years now and it hasn't been a problem. By memory there are instructions to cross out a misvote which are pretty clear, and a partially filled oval is generally going to indicate intent clearly enough. Any edge cases can get kicked up for review.

Vote by mail should be the standard nationwide, but the GOP is afraid of people voting so it remains something strenuously debated about even though it has been running just fine in Oregon for decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote-by-mail_in_Oregon

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

That's a fair point and I agree - its a lot easier to get a new ballot and start over when its all digital.

If I were to put on my tinfoil hat, the biggest issue with these sort of "I'll whisper my choice to the ballot marking automaton" systems is that you have to trust it to actually mark your ballot as you intended. A ballot you mark yourself is quite a bit easier to understand. (to be clear, I dont have any reason to believe electronic vote systems are altering the vote, but apparently a lot of people dont trust them)

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

drk posted:

Did they get his permission to create a derivative fantasy work?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hello Sailor posted:

Did they get his permission to create a derivative fantasy work?

he owns bitcoin. Imma guess no

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Canada is peak simple, but it's also just a straight forward per-riding parliamentary election.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

SRQ posted:

Canada is peak simple, but it's also just a straight forward per-riding parliamentary election.
Federally, at least. Last time I voted in Ontario for a provincial election I had to use a voting machine with a touchscreen, but iirc it produced a paper copy of my vote.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SRQ posted:

A chineese botnet wouldn't break consensus because you could make your network ignore anything except for the offical US Election computers.
That means your network only trusts certain inputs.
Once you have a trusted inputs you have completely defeated the purpose of a blockchain which is supposed to be "how to establish trust when outputs and inputs come from untrusted sources". Making a block chain out of rigged computers would be trivial since they would just put rigged votes on the blockchain.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I can bank online, I should be able to vote online.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't know for sure, but Oregon has done it this way for years and years now and it hasn't been a problem. By memory there are instructions to cross out a misvote which are pretty clear, and a partially filled oval is generally going to indicate intent clearly enough. Any edge cases can get kicked up for review.

Vote by mail should be the standard nationwide, but the GOP is afraid of people voting so it remains something strenuously debated about even though it has been running just fine in Oregon for decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote-by-mail_in_Oregon

I saw a post online that said in some Scottish election, a voter had written "wankers" over every party except the Green party, where he had written "not wankers." That counted as a vote.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Duck and Cover posted:

They’re not comparable.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

tehinternet posted:

They’re not comparable.

While voting does have unique problems to be addressed, pretending that it's impossible is ridiculous and pretty much boils down to a masturbatory exercise in calling ones vote priceless. As I said before

Duck and Cover posted:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You know what I say about technology? I think for any reason, even if you think you should, or shouldn’t, no matter what anyone says, even though you might think it’s a good idea, or even a bad idea, just don’t ever consider for even a second if you do or don’t

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

There are no problems this solves that can't be better accomplished by vote by mail, which is already a thing.

It does, however, introduce a lot of new problems and layers of complexity, which benefits whom, exactly?

Online banking is great, and I wouldn't give it up, but it's also something that is a 24/7 task. Voting is a twice a year task, if that, and there is no compelling reason to make that online instead of by mail.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Duck and Cover posted:

While voting does have unique problems to be addressed, pretending that it's impossible is ridiculous and pretty much boils down to a masturbatory exercise in calling ones vote priceless. As I said before

Is it impossible? No. Taking you in good faith that you likely don’t deserve given the snark, you’re aiming for easier, more accessible voting —which is a Good Thing.

But your bank account doesn’t have a bad actor trying to run fake audits on it and even if your entire account was stolen, who cares? You’ve got protections and legal recourse and you’re late for some bills at worst. When’s the last time you’ve needed a paper trail for a recount of your bank account? When’s the last time a bad actor political party needed a recount of the funds within your account?

If the same thing happens with voting, you get a fascist.

Your comparison doesn’t track if only because the stakes are so vastly different. And no, that’s not blah blah masturbatory bullshit, that’s an honest admission that getting online voting wrong has consequences a little more severe than your banking.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The essential (and to a certain extent, competing) goals of an election are anonymity and trust. Online banking only works because your bank is required to be very very sure who you are at all times.

The point of paper voting isn't to make a system that's immune to fraud, because no system is. It's to make a system where fraud on a scale that will impact a result is impractical to pull off.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

this is literally the nucleus of my dads argument.

I myself am just in favour of not changing Elections Canada's... anything. There's a paper trail for so much as the _stickers I used to seal the ballot box_ and oh boy you have no idea how much paperwork is involved in getting at the ballots themselves.
Literally sign in/out for a piss break, there is not a goddamn thing that isn't tracked precisely and I love that because it also kind of pre-empts an election audit. Go ahead, have fun, we basically audit ourselves on an hourly basis (with regards to the ballots used/remaining balance, we literally do)

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 20, 2021

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Hobologist posted:

I saw a post online that said in some Scottish election, a voter had written "wankers" over every party except the Green party, where he had written "not wankers." That counted as a vote.

And there’s also been official discussion of whether drawing a cock on one single candidate is indicating they’re a, well, cock, or it’s the voter “making their mark”.

E: if you want to spoil your ballot, be clear about it.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 20, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The best one was when the definitely-not-neo-Nazis BNP tried to claim that a swastika drawn next to their candidate's name on the ballot counted as a preference for them.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Number go down.

But does it count if all the stocks number go down too?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tehinternet posted:

If the same thing happens with voting, you get a fascist.
I mean you say it's a bug... maybe to them, this would be a feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hobologist posted:

Number go down.

But does it count if all the stocks number go down too?

Doubly so. Since Bitcoin is supposed to be an alternative to traditional money and/or assets, you would expect it to go up, when everything else goes down.