Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Racism Launderer 3000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

camoseven posted:

buddy it never left. didn't you see Ghost In The Shell or Cloud Atlas or uhhh I swear there was a blackface one but the only thing that comes to mind is Tropic Thunder which doesn't count

GitS doesn't count either as ScarJo was not in yellow face

Should they have made that change from the source material? That's a different question.

I'd say casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan is much worse even though the original actor wasn't the correct ethnicity either

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEV-I9qg7_I

satire is real life now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Laterite posted:

the star of shang chi posted in asian incel subreddits lol

Jesus Christ

"From a biological standpoint [pedophilia] is no different than being gay - a small mutation in the genome that defines our sexual preferences"

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

The Bloop posted:

GitS doesn't count either as ScarJo was not in yellow face

Should they have made that change from the source material? That's a different question.

I'd say casting Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan is much worse even though the original actor wasn't the correct ethnicity either

Ah gently caress I forgot about new Khan cause I hated that movie so much

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

Jesus Christ

"From a biological standpoint [pedophilia] is no different than being gay - a small mutation in the genome that defines our sexual preferences"

from a biological stand point death is just a few atoms away from life. a minor change

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drunkard%27s_Walk]The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives [/url1]is a really good book and has a chapter on the fact that even though studio executives get the credit and blame for hits and busts, they could do just as well flipping a coin. It's like the entertainment industry's equivalent of monkeys throwing darts at the Wall Street Journal. I'm very confident that this will make worse decisions and follow the usual trend of making the decision making process significantly more racist (anyone remember that article from 15ish years ago about bias among moviegoers about the fact that you can't reliably get white audiences to go see a movie with a black person in the lead role unless it's Will Smith?)

Vox Nihili posted:

Jesus Christ

Aside from the fact that it's objectively wrong, even if it were as simple as there being one gay gene, one trans gene (no pun intended), and one pedophile gene, this is why the naturalistic fallacy is a fallacy. Being gay or trans doesn't hurt anyone except your pearl-clutching grandmother, being a pedophile puts other people at risk. There's absolutely no equivalence. Homophobes and TERFs say basically the same thing but flip it on its head and try to say that LGBT+ people are dangerous when they're the violent and hateful ones.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GWBBQ posted:

(anyone remember that article from 15ish years ago about bias among moviegoers about the fact that you can't reliably get white audiences to go see a movie with a black person in the lead role unless it's Will Smith?)

12 Years A Slave was delayed for years because movie executives insisted that the movie needed a white hero in it. Eventually the director relented and allowed a brief scene where Brad Pitt helps the protagonist regain his freedom.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Danny Glover's been trying to get a toussaint loeverture biopic made for decades but for the same reason

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Chamale posted:

12 Years A Slave was delayed for years because movie executives insisted that the movie needed a white hero in it. Eventually the director relented and allowed a brief scene where Brad Pitt helps the protagonist regain his freedom.

Brad pitt was the executive producer btw, it's no coincidence

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

also the vibe of that movie, and it is probably accurate to the POV of the real life Solomon Northrup, was that an educated freeman wasn't able to escape the racial caste system of America even though everyone could plainly see he was not a slave.

But then idk it really seems like it's some kind of special injustice that he should be there, not like the other slaves born into that system. When he is discovered and goes back to NY and doesn't return to help any of the slaves he met.

It's plays like a wrongful imprisonment story rather than an abolitionist story anyway what do I know

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

not only is this a pre-pandemic story, it's the premise of space jam 2 (don cheadle's character is "Algorithm" who is determined to make Lebron James the face of WB)

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
There is no algorithm. It's just c-suite fiat. If an algorithm told an executive to light his dick on fire he'd dumpster it and tell the nerds to make another algorithm. There is no AI, it's just a billion dollar magic 8-ball that says "do what the rich man wants" Can't question it though, it's maaagic- I mean: It's technooology oooOOOooo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Antonymous posted:

also the vibe of that movie, and it is probably accurate to the POV of the real life Solomon Northrup, was that an educated freeman wasn't able to escape the racial caste system of America even though everyone could plainly see he was not a slave.

But then idk it really seems like it's some kind of special injustice that he should be there, not like the other slaves born into that system. When he is discovered and goes back to NY and doesn't return to help any of the slaves he met.

It's plays like a wrongful imprisonment story rather than an abolitionist story anyway what do I know

well yeah the film was made to appeal to modern american sensibilities. its can't be too over the top with the anti-slavery stuff because black people in america still occupy the lowest tier of economics. we just dont call that tier slavery any more (unless you go to prison, then its just slavery)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Happy Underpants posted:

There is no algorithm. It's just c-suite fiat. If an algorithm told an executive to light his dick on fire he'd dumpster it and tell the nerds to make another algorithm. There is no AI, it's just a billion dollar magic 8-ball that says "do what the rich man wants" Can't question it though, it's maaagic- I mean: It's technooology oooOOOooo

yeah, like so many modern innovations it's just a way for rich evil assholes to dodge responsibility for what they do.

“Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.” -Kurt Cobain

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/AustinTeslaClub/status/1439003892222676996?s=20

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Chamale posted:

I'm trying to make a movie about slavery but there's a problem [not racist]

Milo and POTUS posted:

Danny Glover's been trying to get a toussaint loeverture biopic made for decades but for the same reason
Obvious solution, Will Smith as Danny Glover.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Chamale posted:

Antonymous posted:

I'm confused by these posts. I thought he did get help from a white Canadian to finally get out? Was that stretched in the movie or something?

I thought he spent the rest of his life fighting slavery in the north until he up and disappeared with the implication being he was kidnapped again?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

itskage posted:

I'm confused by these posts. I thought he did get help from a white Canadian to finally get out? Was that stretched in the movie or something?

I thought he spent the rest of his life fighting slavery in the north until he up and disappeared with the implication being he was kidnapped again?
It was commercially unfeasible to make a movie about slavery until they gave an A-list celebrity a role as a white savior.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bulgakov posted:

i wonder about that sometimes because im also dubious, but sometimes i think there's maybe something to it. im so entirely disconnected from the big mass of people who are way more invested in celebs and pop culture generally that I feel theres a good chance my instincts are wrong.

at least a few certain people get butts in seats i think. remaining Movie Stars like tom cruise and will smith for example.

maybe??? or not. i dont fuckin know

i'm real doubtful that hollywood execs are really gonna let some beep boop machine steal any of the power they get to wield over the industry tho.
In the LuLaRich documentary, the marketing guy is talking about how they got a whole shitload of people to sign up by hiring Mario Lopez (who is, like, a D-list celebrity) to show up at their leadership conference and take pictures with the "sales reps."

I'm honestly not sure what's worse about social media: the Nazis, or Mom Culture.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Thanatosian posted:

In the LuLaRich documentary, the marketing guy is talking about how they got a whole shitload of people to sign up by hiring Mario Lopez (who is, like, a D-list celebrity) to show up at their leadership conference and take pictures with the "sales reps."

I'm honestly not sure what's worse about social media: the Nazis, or Mom Culture.

Nazi Mom Culture

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

tokin opposition posted:

Nazi Mom Culture
There is no reason for The View to still be on.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Did they still beat up the driver?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

big gamble on the cops' part to assume that this would be the one time a Tesla wouldn't just decide to floor it and ram the nearest vehicle with flashing lights on top.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Worse, the satire still results in a better world.
Random dice would probably do a better job at making films than producers would.

tokin opposition posted:

Nazi Mom Culture

This hits a bone.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Vox Nihili posted:

Jesus Christ

pedophilia is a voluntary action and a crime

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

pedophilia is a voluntary action and a crime

That guy may have been talking about Pedophilic Disorder and not child molesting. Either one can be referred to as "pedophilia" so it is confusing.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Facebook Aunt posted:

That guy may have been talking about Pedophilic Disorder and not child molesting. Either one can be referred to as "pedophilia" so it is confusing.

fuckin yikes dude

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Facebook Aunt posted:

(its you)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Facebook Aunt posted:

its not confusing, the point with the disorder is that these individuals are categorically dangerous to have around children because these guys actually act on their perversion, regardless of cause for their psychosis. so to say, pedophilic disorder psychos are the REALLY dangerous pedos

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait, what's the other kind of pedo?
Your post implies the existence of pedophiles who lack a pedophilic disorder.
Does having absurd amounts of money make it not a disorder??

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, what's the other kind of pedo?
Your post implies the existence of pedophiles who lack a pedophilic disorder.
Does having absurd amounts of money make it not a disorder??

err... the less dangerous kind that recognizes his predilictions are perverse and succesfully suppresses them? also, yes

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pull up thread

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
let us stare straight into the abyss

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

lollontee posted:

let us stare straight into the abyss

...the gently caress else we do here??

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tubgoat posted:

...the gently caress else we do here??

well i really like the uhh... hmm. maybe we should stare at the void instead the abyss for a change

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There Wolf parachute account spotted.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i dont really see why it matters what the cause of pedophilia is, they present a threat to other people regardless. personally i think it's a symptom of how our utterly alienating society inspires in individuals a perversion of empathy and encourages predatory behaviour as way of coping. but whatever, sociopaths are a danger to all humans regardless of causalities that led to their creation, and must be exterminated

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

sociopaths are a danger to all humans regardless of causalities that led to their creation, and must be exterminated

-Earth. Hitler. 1938.

It's really dumb that the entire topic is such a third rail that it's basically impossible to ever even talk about it at all, but jumping right to human extermination is a new low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

The Bloop posted:

-Earth. Hitler. 1938.

It's really dumb that the entire topic is such a third rail that it's basically impossible to ever even talk about it at all, but jumping right to human extermination is a new low.

it's really not hard to not defend pedophiles, dude