Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That story is clearly made up, people eating KFC aren't concerned about their health.

I mean my diet is horrendous, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

The person in the back isn't where customers are and wouldn't need to wear a mask anyway
Yeah, but they're where the food the customers are going to eat is.

Like, not sure I want a maskless person breathing on my food and more then I'd want one breathing on me. "Double vaxxed, dont need a mask" doesn't really fly as an excuse when entering a store, so I can't fault someone for being a little bit "wtf" about a person cooking their food and/or 10ft away from the people that do interact with, not wearing a mask. That said

Arc Hammer posted:

Working back end sucks because it's hot and sweaty enough without a mask.

But it's more dumb the person didn't just go somewhere else.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

https://twitter.com/elxnometre/status/1439740049004933127?s=20

Raj Saini has stood down and they still show Liberals as in the lead loving terrible polling methodology or very uninformed populace.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Probably the latter. Unless you're paying attention, most people are probably still planning to vote by brand not for the candidate.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Even if people are paying attention, most people vote for the brand.

I heard the election clip trailer on several Bell Media owned radio stations today and they all talked about “voting for who you want to be Prime Minster”.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 20, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It would be interesting if Sainin ran independent but they didn't have time to reprint the ballots. As it is, who are Liberal voters in Kitchen Centre even voting for?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Laugh my loving rear end off at the Star's endorsement of the Liberals here:

Some probably highly paid editorial fucks posted:

The election campaign that ends on Monday has been unnecessary — a $610-million distraction in the middle of the worst public health crisis in a century. The vast majority of Canadians, according to recent polls, do not believe it should have even been called in the first place.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is campaigning on a progressive platform; he is promising $10-a-day child care, an ambitious climate change plan, and a continuing aggressive approach to ending the COVID-19 pandemic through vaccinations. However, his six-year record leaves much to be desired: We did not see his promised electoral reform, safe drinking water in all Indigenous communities, an end to the 2SLGBTQ+ blood donation ban, or a reining in of Google and Facebook dominance.

Thanks to a focused effort to acquire vaccines and push for vaccinations among Canadians, however, the Liberal minority government — supported by the NDP — has helped get Canada through several waves of COVID-19.

Under Erin O’Toole, the Conservative Party has made progressive strides moving to the political centre. Nevertheless, on the issue of vaccination, their coddling of anti-vaxxers in the name of individual rights is wrong and dangerous. On child care, their refundable tax credit for individual families falls far short. On the environmental front, while the Conservatives now propose their own version of a carbon tax, it is an ill-conceived plan.

For the aforementioned reasons, we believe — albeit very reluctantly — that the Liberals are the best alternative, supported by a strong mandate for Jagmeet Singh’s NDP, to address the main priority of getting Canadians through this pandemic.

What is this tepid poo poo? Well, Trudeau might lie about all of his promises, and the little he has done in the last 6 years is half-assed at best, but it could be worse so... vote?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

MatchaZed posted:

very uninformed populace.

New thread title

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mila kunis posted:

New thread title

Alternatively,

eXXon posted:

half-assed at best, but it could be worse so... vote?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Very excited to vote for the Justin Trudeau party tomorrow, hope he gets a majority

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

eXXon posted:

What is this tepid poo poo? Well, Trudeau might lie about all of his promises, and the little he has done in the last 6 years is half-assed at best, but it could be worse so... vote?

After much thought and deliberation, we endorse the status quo.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

eXXon posted:

It reads like the editorial board said "we want to endorse the NDP" and someone above says, I don't care, write what you want, but you're endorsing the Liberals.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

While I got to vote early due to military stuff, my wife had to wait for her OFFICIAL BALLOT from Elections Canada.

Due to European mailing being absolute poo poo, it arrived on Friday.

Elections Canada said it has to be received by end of day Monday.

This poo poo needs to be fixed and is absolutely appalling.

Democracy for some.

(Edit: Just through random fluke, we had a friend fly back to Canada on Sunday. He dropped it off express courier that should *maybe* arrive in time)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

O'Toole's message on Sunday at the campaign stops was "please don't vote for PPC". I guess they really are a threat to the CPC vote.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hizawk posted:

This poo poo needs to be fixed and is absolutely appalling.

Since elections Canada can’t fix the mail systems of other countries, I assume there are other solutions you’d like to see? Maybe a longer window after Election Day where mail in ballots are accepted or voting at an embassy/consulate?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Evis posted:

Maybe a longer window after Election Day where mail in ballots are accepted or voting at an embassy/consulate?
Yes, both of these are things they should be doing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It reads like the editorial board said "we want to endorse the NDP" and someone above says, I don't care, write what you want, but you're endorsing the Liberals.

Not untrue, the Toronto Star was recently bought out by a hedge fund... So think about that.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Evis posted:

Since elections Canada can’t fix the mail systems of other countries, I assume there are other solutions you’d like to see? Maybe a longer window after Election Day where mail in ballots are accepted or voting at an embassy/consulate?

The above, and also, this whole internet thing seems pretty neat.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hizawk posted:

no

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Some US states accept ballots postmarked before the election date and/or arriving with some number of days after the election, which seems perfectly reasonable. If you could vote in person at embassies/consulates, why not have them accept mail-in ballots too?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Estonia seems to have their poo poo together.

https://e-estonia.com/solutions/e-governance/i-voting/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Proving someone you can't see acted voluntarily is hard.

E: I recognize this same threat exists for mail in ballots

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 20, 2021

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hizawk posted:

I wouldn’t say that we should never ever do this, but our existing system works quite well. I don’t think we should replace it with a system that has a phenomenally poor track record for security and trust.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hizawk posted:

for the record, elections canada recognized these and other issues during the early pandemic and asked parliament for a bill to provide them with more funding and some legal changes to ensure access to voting in the case of a pandemic election (knowing that one was likely with a minority parliament)

parliament sat on the bill, did nothing with it, and then had a pandemic election anyway :v:

in other words, it's not elections canada's fault, they're doing the best they can with their hands literally tied behind their back

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 20, 2021

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Lmao the NDP candidate in my riding is the one who dropped out after people saw she tweeted about Israel apparently stealing the state's vaccine supply. I don't know who the gently caress to vote for now. Green, I guess?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Even once the legal side is sorted out, I don’t think the “voluntary” aspect of digital voting is actually the hardest part to solve (as flakeloaf says, the same problem exists with mail-in). I think the problem is actually that it’s very very difficult to build a system that is both validating your identity and also keeping your vote anonymous.

Ed. Actually found a good video discussing in more detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkH2r-sNjQs

A big part highlighted here is trust in the system itself - you don’t even need to prove something went wrong like a security breach, there just needs to be enough mistrust in the system and you risk election results being hugely controversial.

Edit 2 - Estonia is addressed briefly at the 9 minute mark.

kaom fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 20, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Hizawk posted:

Estonia seems to have their poo poo together.

https://e-estonia.com/solutions/e-governance/i-voting/

In several ways, including a national ID card and trust in Government over Internet Protocol.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

HellOnEarth posted:

Lmao the NDP candidate in my riding is the one who dropped out after people saw she tweeted about Israel apparently stealing the state's vaccine supply. I don't know who the gently caress to vote for now. Green, I guess?

:ussr:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

As if tomorrow (or today, if you're reading this on Monday) isn't full of drama as it is, it seems the quiet revolt against Kenney and co. is going to get much louder:

https://twitter.com/RogueNerdOne/status/1439719453118197763

It's funny. I was expecting this sort of talk to be delayed until the fall, or to coincide with the winter break. What are the odds Kenney will be facing his own Night of the Long Knives this upcoming week?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
lol 9%

rofl

sister is flying in with toddler next week to visit our mom and the province is a plague zone

lmao

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/escrimshaw/status/1439222895121772544

PPC at 21% in Alberta. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Just voted Beige

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Calumanjaro posted:

As horrible as it is to see the chud party set to take a significant portion of the popular vote, I think there's a limit to how much support they can draw if they're the party of anti-vaxxers when the majority of Canadians are fully vaccinated. The problem will be if they can continue to draw voters to them in post-Covid elections and broaden their appeal beyond the most selfish assholes of the country.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Calumanjaro posted:

Oh boy Alberta is going to be so mad at the LAURENTIAN ELITE when we sweep the Liberals back to power, to distract from their homemade COVID disaster.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 20, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
That's pretty big, but is it enough to change any results from splitting the vote? I would say no, but also Alberta's seats are irrelevant anyway.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

That's pretty big, but is it enough to change any results from splitting the vote? I would say no, but also Alberta's seats are irrelevant anyway.

It's impossible to tell. Canada's polling is bad in the first place. But maybe this could swing some of the cities? We don't have granular enough information to get a good idea.

It's not like it can get any worse, so anything is a bonus.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Sashimi posted:

As horrible as it is to see the chud party set to take a significant portion of the popular vote, I think there's a limit to how much support they can draw if they're the party of anti-vaxxers when the majority of Canadians are fully vaccinated. The problem will be if they can continue to draw voters to them in post-Covid elections and broaden their appeal beyond the most selfish assholes of the country.

I agree that they seem to be mostly an rear end in a top hat protest vote right now at least. The other night in Winnipeg I saw a guy with PPC signs taped to the inside of his car and about six Canadian flags attached to this side windows driving about 40k in a 70k zone, honking his horn and cutting people off (there's no way he could really see because he had a huge sign taped across his back window). I'm not sure what he thought he was doing, but I'm pretty sure all of the libs were totally owned. He perfectly confirmed my perception of the average PPC voter. Their slogan should really be "LOOK AT ME!"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Calumanjaro posted:

Doesn't Alberta normally go full CPC anyways? I mean, all this means is that we now know for sure that Alberta is at least 20% racist.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Randalor posted:

Doesn't Alberta normally go full CPC anyways? I mean, all this means is that we now know for sure that Alberta is at least 20% racist.

It's worrying to me because, how many PPC voters would get on board with a legit fascist movement? 80%? 90%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Calumanjaro posted:

It's worrying to me because, how many PPC voters would get on board with a legit fascist movement? 80%? 90%?

100. The answer is 100 percent.