Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

CRIME GROWS WHERE TRANSIT FLOWS

CONGRESS CREATED GHETTO

BUILD MORE DAM PRISONS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sometimes I suspect the real split in politics is as much about whether you want government to help people or punish your perceived enemies as it is whether you're on the left or the right.

This is absolutely true and a very telling insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

AngryBooch posted:

You post like a cop trying to sound like a leftist.
This contributes to productive discourse, thank you.
Thank you for your well formed argument. I learned much from it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Gavbot just signed another awesome bill. When it comes into effect, you won't be able to put the "chasing arrows" recyclable triangle on your plastic unless it's regularly recycled in California. No more triangle-7, which looks like recyclable, but actually means "Nobody anyplace recycles this." In practice, most places can only cycle 1 and 2.

Needless to say, the packaging industry is unhappy.

This is great.

Almost zero plastic is recycled in the US. If you're not a drink container with the label peeled off, odds are it got sorted into a landfill.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

This is great.

Almost zero plastic is recycled in the US. If you're not a drink container with the label peeled off, odds are it got sorted into a landfill.

all the more reason to surrender to china while there is still time

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The dead ritual of recycling bums me out so bad, because a lot of people really want to do the right thing, and are taking extra steps to do it, and are completely blocked from achieving anything. I would love for this to be less true.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Jaxyon posted:

This is great.

Honestly, the landfill is probably the best place that it ends up.

The other options are being burnt in Turkey, or dumped in the ocean.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Hell in SF we have an 16 gal black bin, 32 gal green bin for compost and 64 gal blue bin for recycling for a SFH. If we don’t recycle and compost incessantly it won’t fit into the black bin.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Zoning issues wrt even making it possible for high-density infill to happen (the stuff you need both cuz it is how you get substantially more housing into already built up areas and because it is environmentally far more efficient than sfh sprawl) aren't even especially partisan. It's mostly just nimby home owners and almost completely bypasses traditional partisan lines. This probably has changed somewhat as awareness of the issue has increased, but traditionally it hasn't been an issue that either party has loudly championed.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The changes to zoning are good, apparently you can build up to two duplexes on a SFH lot now? Dunno why you wouldn't just allow fourplexes then, but whatever. Though apparently there's some dumb restriction around the owner having needed to lived there for three years prior, why do we always need these silly special rules that inhibit more housing.

Death to mandatory SFH zoning, it shouldn't exist anywhere in the country.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 18, 2021

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

jetz0r posted:

Honestly, the landfill is probably the best place that it ends up.

The other options are being burnt in Turkey, or dumped in the ocean.

It might get ground up into small bits, covered in dirt and turned into a ski resort! maybe?

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sometimes I suspect the real split in politics is as much about whether you want government to help people or punish your perceived enemies as it is whether you're on the left or the right.

But that's what "being on the left" and "being on the right" mean

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
SB8 was also in that list of 3 housing bills that got signed a couple days ago. SB8 makes it so that rent-controlled units can't be destroyed without new rent-controlled units being built, displacement compensation and right of return for displaced tenants, and multi-unit redevelopment must result in at least as many units as were there prior to redevelopment.

Cicero posted:

The changes to zoning are good, apparently you can build up to two duplexes on a SFH lot now? Dunno why you wouldn't just allow fourplexes then, but whatever. Though apparently there's some dumb restriction around the owner having needed to lived there for three years prior, why do we always need these silly special rules that inhibit more housing.

More or less. A SFH lot may have a duplex built on it, if the owner has lived there consecutively for 3 years prior, then a SFH lot can be split into 2 lots (this can only happen one time) and the 2nd lot can have a second duplex built onto it. It's something to encourage development by small landlords or something instead of the huge landlords that get a lot of pushback, I guess.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Have you all heard about horseshoe theo- *I collapse as someone rightfully hurls a brick at my head*

In election news, the turnout looks sort of miserable. It's going to tick up over the next couple weeks as votes trickle in, but it seems like a lot of people just didn't bother. Current count on the SOS website has it at 43.6%, which is the lowest since the 2014 gubernatorial race. Part of that might be that registration is up, so you have a lot of people who got auto-registered but didn't let that break their not-voting streak, but it seems like the special election didn't generate as much interest as one might have expected. Obviously there are a million factors at play, but at the very least mailing everyone ballots doesn't seem to work as a magic bullet for increasing interest in actually filling those ballots out.
Special Elections historically have varied turnouts, and typically they're lower than both Presidential and Midterms (aka Gubernatorial) elections. Here's a handy table of Voter Registration and Participation:
https://elections.cdn.sos.ca.gov/sov/2020-general/sov/04-historical-voter-reg-participation.pdf

I'm assuming you're looking at the Voter Turnout Map, which is % of Registered Voters, so that's the column we'd use in the historical chart. Looking at historical special elections: 2009 had 28.40% turnout, 2005 had 50.14% turnout, 2003 (Gov Recall) had 61.20% turnout, and 1993 had 36.37% turnout. Almost all of these are lower than both Presidential and Midterm turnouts, with 2003 being the standout on voter turnout and being at or above Midterm levels.

For a 1:1, we only have 2003 to compare since that's the only other gubernatorial recall that successfully made it to the ballot, because this doesn't happen that often, so we don't have a great data comparison. I mean, once all the ballots are in or finalized, if you were to tell me that 2021's turnout was lower than 2003, I wouldn't be that surprised. 2003 was a wild, wild election, while this election was not as much, despite drama around polls shifting at the end as ad money was deployed and various news outlets talking about how Larry Elder might have a shot at winning because no one is turning out to vote. I also wouldn't be surprised if mail-in ballots are overvalued on the effect of turnout, though this is only the second election where we've had everyone get mailed ballots.

We'll see what the final numbers look like. I want to see the final voter turnout by party registration; that will tell more on the story of the early reported Republican "energized base".

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 18, 2021

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just got my Gavinbux :dance:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

this but unironically

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Gavbot just signed another awesome bill. When it comes into effect, you won't be able to put the "chasing arrows" recyclable triangle on your plastic unless it's regularly recycled in California. No more triangle-7, which looks like recyclable, but actually means "Nobody anyplace recycles this." In practice, most places can only cycle 1 and 2.

Needless to say, the packaging industry is unhappy.

i can't post about this stupid rear end state anymore in my normal place so I guess I'll just do it here. anyway yeah it's epic. waste management in my county makes all business here sort trash into garbage, food waste, and recycling, on pain of fines and interruption of service lol. no they don't let you lock the dumpsters and yes, it doesn't matter if someone obviously dumped trash in the middle of the night into them. Second strike, nerd.

anyway I've been to the county disposal facility a few times taking pizzas to the workers past the intake area and they don't have a separated landfill or anything lmfao. they just dump everything into 3 bigass construction dumpsters and then take those behind a hill and dump them into a single landfill lol. so its literally just to generate fine income (as if a county ordinance granting them a monopoly wasn't enough) and to waste your time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jfc

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

:d2a:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

i can't post about this stupid rear end state anymore in my normal place so I guess I'll just do it here. anyway yeah it's epic. waste management in my county makes all business here sort trash into garbage, food waste, and recycling, on pain of fines and interruption of service lol. no they don't let you lock the dumpsters and yes, it doesn't matter if someone obviously dumped trash in the middle of the night into them. Second strike, nerd.

anyway I've been to the county disposal facility a few times taking pizzas to the workers past the intake area and they don't have a separated landfill or anything lmfao. they just dump everything into 3 bigass construction dumpsters and then take those behind a hill and dump them into a single landfill lol. so its literally just to generate fine income (as if a county ordinance granting them a monopoly wasn't enough) and to waste your time.
I mean I completely believe this, though was this always the case? I thought between whatever government subsidies there were and China hoovering up all our recyclables that there was money to be made in sorting recyclables... except China stopped stopped buying, what... 3... 5 years ago?... since last I read they said they recyclables we were sending were too dirty and their own recyclers were just dumping the imported dirty recyclables into the rivers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BeAuMaN posted:

I mean I completely believe this, though was this always the case? I thought between whatever government subsidies there were and China hoovering up all our recyclables that there was money to be made in sorting recyclables... except China stopped stopped buying, what... 3... 5 years ago?... since last I read they said they recyclables we were sending were too dirty and their own recyclers were just dumping the imported dirty recyclables into the rivers.

the people who take recycling and actually give you the CRV still do... Something with it, I see it get hauled off on those sketch rear end import box trucks. maybe they're all going to the dump but i doubt it. waste management doesn't seem to do anything with it consider how much plastic is the drat landfill but idk. it's possible they have all these big convoys of recycling leaving that I've somehow never seen in 20 years of living here. there certainly isn't a drat recycling center at the dump unless it's one guy melting it all into pvc fiber in a Weber grill. or, you know, probably one of those fancy balers. i dunno, though, either the volume is so low it's impossible to notice or they really do just keep it lol. I've never seen anything leave the dump besides empty pickups and flat beds, and I drive by the drat thing every day. you see big trailer trucks leave the sac county one sometimes that presumably have recyclables headed to some reprocessing plant.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 20, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They have different trucks take different trash; household waste, recycle and yard waste. Those get processed at different facilities.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that makes sense. All I know, why am I wasting my time making sure food but specifically not food soiled materials go in this tiny can they only empty every two weeks (there's three restaurants sharing it so it get loving SICK) when I've watched the drat garbage guy just toss it in the back with the rest?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah that makes sense. All I know, why am I wasting my time making sure food but specifically not food soiled materials go in this tiny can they only empty every two weeks (there's three restaurants sharing it so it get loving SICK) when I've watched the drat garbage guy just toss it in the back with the rest?

I just got a note saying I needed to do better at separating my paper and plastics... but then I watched the guy dump it all in the one truck together, so I don't know what they are asking of me really.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes I think Longmont Potion Castle really does work for Waste Management, and his job is to gently caress with me.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

My (rural) county has a single 2-week 96 gallon recycle cart. It's actually unclear to me if it's mixed or not; the "can it be recycled sheet" seems to indicate that. I used to take my recyclables down the road but that place closed down.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I did a stint in Texas, and I brought two huge yard bags of Aluminum cans to the recycler. In CA, this would have gotten me about $25-35.
In Texas, it got me $2.25 and I gave the money back because the person operating the recycler was also living in a lean to on site.

I'm not sure what this anecdote really means, but it's probably a good indicator that recycling cans isn't actually profitable.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Shame you can't post in CSPAM anymore Larry, but I appreciate the opportunity you've taken to show us that, really, despite state lines, we're not so different after all.

... we're not so different after all :suicide:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

eSporks posted:

I did a stint in Texas, and I brought two huge yard bags of Aluminum cans to the recycler. In CA, this would have gotten me about $25-35.
In Texas, it got me $2.25 and I gave the money back because the person operating the recycler was also living in a lean to on site.

I'm not sure what this anecdote really means, but it's probably a good indicator that recycling cans isn't actually profitable.

It's very much cheaper for the aluminum manufactures to use existing aluminum than to get it from bauxite which is incredibly energy intensive.

I'm sure the aluminum companies are pocketing all those savings, though.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

eSporks posted:

Deposit isn't about the value of the aluminum; at least in Michigan it was more about getting people to clean up their loving trash at 10 cents a can/bottle.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, the thing you can't make any goddamn money recycling is glass. I once saved glass for almost a year, sorted it by color and everything. I drove it to the recycling place in Berkeley, and for almost 90 lbs of glass they wrote me a check for $4.70. This was before easy online check depositing so I might have just thrown the check away.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My parents used to pretty obsessively collect all their cans, bottles, etc to take to the recycling place by their grocery store. Each month they'd make about $10 back from the CV. It eventually dawned on my mom though that between sorting and bagging it all, loading up the van, driving down to the recycler, waiting in line, one-by-one turning over all the recyclables, and then finally driving back, it was one and a half to two hours of their lives for like a tenth of her going rate.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The recycling rebates are meant to be low enough that gathering and turning in the cans and bottles is only the purview of an extremely poor ragpicker underclass

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The can recycling rebates have done their intended job of reducing the amount of cans littering the streets. They used to be absolutely everywhere, and now that just isn't the case. Obviously most people aren't going to make a career out of it. Recycling them in your recycling bin is very possible, but ideally the program gets reformed so unclaimed money goes to environmental projects rather than the bottling company. That way you could just see it as a donation to the common good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All the stupid CRV does is make me collect bottles and cans in my garage for 6 months until I get annoyed walking through them to get to my tools and load them up in my car. Which also means half of them spill that last 1/8 oz all over the place and then my car smells for a week of old beer and Capri Sun. And makes me look like a loving alcoholic to the worker. All for $35. It really isn't worth the effort.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
have you tried washing them out a bit first

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sorry, my state is low on water all year every year.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you want to use water it must be done on cash crops first.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

except for a brief period in 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

If you want to use water it must be done on cash crops first.

Washing your bottles out at the flooded rice fields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

i can't post about this stupid rear end state anymore in my normal place so I guess I'll just do it here

lol this fuckin' website man