Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Air source heat pumps seem like such an expensive faff to get up and running. I'd dearly like to get away from having a gas boiler and gas hob though.

We just paid for air conditioning in the house last month. Half tempted to keep the heating off as it gets colder and see what the cost of using them to control the temp is like over a week or two as they do heating.

E: upside down catte tax

Mebh fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably a CDN issue, assuming they're big(ish) sites - they tend to be localised (often to just a single geographic area for one ISP) and give random, intermittent faults.

(CDN - Content Delivery Network. Basically because an awful lot of internet traffic is repeated, and fibre is expensive, most websites of any decent size will use a CDN (there are half a dozen or so big ones - SA and most non-ultra-large websites use Cloudflare). The principle is pretty simple - the CDN installs servers around the world (either in big centralised internet exchanges like LINX in London, in the core networks of large ISPs, or for very large ISPs down at their edge network Points of Presence, the first hop your traffic takes between the exchange and the rest of your providers network). These servers keep local cached copies of content from websites so if a hundred people all hit the same page the hosting company only sees one hit. This is advantageous both to the ISPs, who save a shitload on international and/or long-distance transit links, and to the web hosts, who of course save loads on bandwidth and server capacity. It also helps to mitigate denial of service attacks where hackers use huge amounts of hacked computers to swamp a server - because they only ever hit the CDN boxes it's almost impossible to make such an attack work such that the entire site becomes unusable.

:corsair: moment - Anyone else remember the days when SA was big enough (and the internet small enough) that we could knock websites offline just by all of us trying to get to it at once? Ridiculous, really)

Around that point of time, I was running a number of university websites (clubs and other orgs) using a machine with 500mb ram, 10gb storage and Pentium 75 CPU. And it was all pretty snappy (The 10mb ethernet uplink certainly didnt hurt, I had previously been running sites on a 128K ISDN line on a 486 and slackware) . drat thing actually survived a slashdotting once (story about censorship of student activists we ran on the student newspaper site got picked up). Its. *very* different internet these days.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A Bread Climp, you mean.

Good username imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cread Blimp

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

duck monster posted:

Around that point of time, I was running a number of university websites (clubs and other orgs) using a machine with 500mb ram, 10gb storage and Pentium 75 CPU. And it was all pretty snappy (The 10mb ethernet uplink certainly didnt hurt, I had previously been running sites on a 128K ISDN line on a 486 and slackware) . drat thing actually survived a slashdotting once (story about censorship of student activists we ran on the student newspaper site got picked up). Its. *very* different internet these days.

You can still do that. All you have to do is to not have 20kB of CSS and 5MB of javascript and 2MB of fonts and 20MB of 300dpi high-res images fit into your header, all to display three paragraphs of text.

You can serve a nice looking static site to hundreds of thousands of clients per minute over a crummy 1Gbps link on a tiny VPS that costs 7€/month without a problem.

It's ridiculous how far you can get with todays hardware if you cut out all the bloaty garbage.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

You can still do that. All you have to do is to not have 20kB of CSS and 5MB of javascript and 2MB of fonts and 20MB of 300dpi high-res images fit into your header, all to display three paragraphs of text.

You can serve a nice looking static site to hundreds of thousands of clients per minute over a crummy 1Gbps link on a tiny VPS that costs 7€/month without a problem.

It's ridiculous how far you can get with todays hardware if you cut out all the bloaty garbage.

Nah you just let cloudflare handle it all for free 👍

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A Bread Climp, you mean.

Thanks for reminding me of a fun time

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

blunt posted:

Nah you just let cloudflare handle it all for free 👍

Anyone have an estimate for the percentage of CO2 emissions that are caused by bad JavaScript?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Not sure which is worse, how stupid Johnson thinks the average British voter is, or how often he's proved right

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1439722180430999552?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not sure which is worse, how stupid Johnson thinks the average British voter is, or how often he's proved right

The "worse" part is how sycophantic Kuenssberg is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's the latter.

Seems like a good time to diversify power generation even more. Somehow turn the Home Counties into nothing but windfarms and hydro plants. Turn London into an island.

Obviously don't worn the residents of Hertfordshire before you flood it

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A huge part of the problem right now is that there isn't any wind

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

CW: Rosie Duffield isn't *just* transphobe, she's also a biphobe!

https://twitter.com/Seunte/status/1439872238145228800

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bis-exuals have to date exactly one man and one woman at the same time otherwise they're faking it for David Bowie points. Join me for this and many more exciting Rosie Duffields tonight at 8pm, September 20th 1981.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Boris Johnson: "The Corbynistas demanded a four day week, but with my government we want to go one better, with a three day week!"

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

radmonger posted:

Anyone have an estimate for the percentage of CO2 emissions that are caused by bad JavaScript?

Unironically, statistics like this are meaningless when things like the cruise industry still exist. Should probably worry about shutting down crypto mining before webpack optimisation strategies too.

edit: vvvv lol

blunt fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 20, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unironically, statistics like this are meaningless when things like the cruise industry still use Java.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Thanks for reminding me of a fun time

Did... did you put a bread climp on your penis

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/Milo_Edwards/status/1439881706270609411?s=19

Seriously, what the gently caress is this poo poo, and how have the LibDems managed to turn posting cringe into a political ideology

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

blunt posted:

Unironically, statistics like this are meaningless when things like the cruise industry still exist. Should probably worry about shutting down crypto mining before webpack optimisation strategies too.

edit: vvvv lol

unironically, moaning about the cruise industry is meaningless when we still burn fossil fuels for most of our electricity, heating, and transport.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

unironically, moaning about the cruise industry is meaningless when we still burn fossil fuels for most of our electricity, heating, and transport.

You’re going to poo poo a brick when you learn what cruise ships burn :ssh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

unironically, moaning about fossil fuels is meaningless while our greatest enemy, the Sun, continues to warm the planet day after day

Seriously, what the gently caress are you talking about?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:yeah: ban it and throw everyone who ever worked for it into a lime pit.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

We should improve the environment somewhat.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

start by banning high resolution images

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

loving hell Duffield is a piece of work. Stupid, vicious bigot.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

No it's not. It's really loving not. Being mad about one doesn't preclude you from being mad about the other. We honestly can't really afford to just be mad at one horrendously polluting thing at this point. Cruise ships generate 4 times the CO˛ per passenger of planes & I'm already massively in favour of cutting down air travel pretty dramatically (last time I flew was 1998, never flown as an adult).

I like the abstract idea of cruise ship. A floating hotel where you can wake up in a different city every day? It's a cool idea. But they are unjustifiable.

Yeah, personal consumption has limits because the big polluters are corporations but that isn a free pass to be loving wasteful.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://youtu.be/tzKFpeEUl0k

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

You’re going to poo poo a brick when you learn what cruise ships burn :ssh:

people?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Gen X and Millennials:

keep punching joe posted:

Boomers:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If the planet is gonna burn either way, might as well be colourful flames imo

:tesla:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Yep, I watched a document called “Titanic” on it the other day.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bring back sailboats.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We're bringing back slave eco galleys, friendly to Johnny sunflower and an invaluable source of exercise and hands-on work experience

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Singling out indervidual acts of consumption as wasteful or not wasteful is pointless and simplifies the issue into "good" actions and "bad" actions, when the vast majority of carbon emissions are not under our control. Only when governments force our economic system away from burning fossil fuels is meaningful change possible.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Miftan posted:

"I do not want there to be any news stories about me", I say on the BBC's flagship current affairs programme

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Singling out indervidual acts of consumption as wasteful or not wasteful is pointless and simplifies the issue into "good" actions and "bad" actions, when the vast majority of carbon emissions are not under our control. Only when governments force our economic system away from burning fossil fuels is meaningful change possible.

Nah. Some things (eg food production, transport infrastructure, global communications networks etc) are necessary for society. Others (the cruise industry) are frivolous luxuries that are lovely but are disproportionately horrific to our environment relative to the value they provide to society.

We have to reduce emissions across all aspects of society, but there are some entire industries that should just go in the bin right now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*5 minutes later* we regret to inform you that the bins just get emptied into the sea and the boats are back again

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
They can have cruise ships when they start putting nuclear reactors in them again
:krad:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Nobody in this thread is arguing that individual acts are going to be enough. Doesn't mean it's pointless because it has a knock-on effect. Governments are captured by capital & capital has no motivation to change things without "rational self-interest", which apparently doesn't include climate conditions changing drastically without activist & consumer pressure.

We've been talking about climate change as a scientifically accepted theory for most of if not my entire life, & it's been a serious concern going back more than 2 decades before that, with people like Glenn Seaborg & Edward Teller. LBJ spoke about CO2 having a green house effect in 1965. What has been done in that timeframe? Not a gently caress of a lot, because ultimately capital isn't interested in anything but the bottom line, & fossil fuel profits still go up. And politicians don't want to risk a cushy directorship, post-parliamentary career (or during it in the case of Nadhim Zahawi, who was a Chief Strategy Officer for Gulf Keystone until he got a ministerial job) with oil firms or think tanks funded by oil firms. Putting your faith in loving Boris Johnson & Sir Kieth Starmer to make a difference is a bigger folly than expecting individual consumption to magically solve the climate crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Borrovan posted:

"I do not want there to be any news stories about me", I say on the BBC's flagship current affairs programme

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1439911810380017669

At this point the party looking the other way on this shite is now obviously approval.

Duffield knows shes gone at the next election so shes also maneuvering herself into the post parliament world too.

Not a single question to her bringing that up either.