Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbGpFu43p74

Stupid App Store just make it into an actual anime in space Venice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the slight akatsuki resemblance threw me for a second

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbGpFu43p74

Stupid App Store just make it into an actual anime in space Venice.

The initial plan for the app was to basically have it as a hub for a bunch of IBO content. So there'd be some anime stuff, some comics, and the free-to-play game. Might have changed since, but I think there's going to at least be short episodes, which might go online.

Who knows, though. Probably partially depends on how well the Gundam Breaker shorts do.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

The initial plan for the app was to basically have it as a hub for a bunch of IBO content. So there'd be some anime stuff, some comics, and the free-to-play game. Might have changed since, but I think there's going to at least be short episodes, which might go online.

Who knows, though. Probably partially depends on how well the Gundam Breaker shorts do.

I saw someone suggest that the new TV show, "Witch From Mercury" could be an IBO sequel, and I think the name has that same poetic styling to fit with "Iron Blood Orphans". There's nothing to actually corroborate or suggest that of course, but it does sound similar enough it seems plausible.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I doubt it, if only because if that was the case you'd expect them to stylize the titles similarly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I highly doubt it's a sequel or a prequel. Just doesn't sit right in my gut

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I highly doubt it's a sequel or a prequel. Just doesn't sit right in my gut

Yeah, you'd think they'd advertise IBO ties if there were any, especially when a special edition and a cell phone game are hitting at the same time.

Plus, you know. An IBO spin-off means that potential new fans will go "I didn't watch that one. Do I have to catch up?" which misses the main benefit of the AUs over just doing more UC stuff.

Every AU potentially adds new audiences. Wing's boy band look got more girls into Gundam, G has its high octane martial arts crazy to get Shonen Jump readers, IBO gets people who want a grittier approach, and so on. I figure, whatever Witch of Mercury is, it's going to at least try for some new angles.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 20, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, you'd think they'd advertise IBO ties if there were any, especially when a special edition and a cell phone game are hitting at the same time.

They're not advertising anything about it at the moment though, because literally all they've done is announce the name of the project. It's not like they're advertising it as a stand alone project either. Also, Banrise are willing to make sequels to AUs if they prove popular. See: Destiny, and possibly the second seasons of both 00 and IBO. I think 00 was always meant to have a second season, and assume IBO was at least hoping for one but it wasn't assumed to my knowledge. Which is presumably why the finale of season one feels like they hastily walked back a few things.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i feel like if it was an IBO sequel, we would know, and "is it an IBO sequel or not?" is not a question we would have to argue about because they would have told us.

that's not necessarily the case but i think it's the most likely by a significant margin

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i feel like if it was an IBO sequel, we would know, and "is it an IBO sequel or not?" is not a question we would have to argue about because they would have told us.

that's not necessarily the case but i think it's the most likely by a significant margin

We also got the title font, and it's not the same as for IBO. You'd think they'd try for a consistent iconography if they were taking that angle.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Crossposting this from the Gihren's greed thread cause that thread seems, hella dead:

Droyer posted:

Started playing this game now that the revil campaign is complete. It turns out I am insanely poo poo at it. I've never really played grand strategy games before and I find it all a bit overwhelming. Managed to lose as Revil on Easy on turn like, 12. Also sometimes my advisor at the beginning says that we've managed to capture enemy data (or something like that) and I assumed that was enemy blueprints being stolen but I can't find where I'm supposed to find them so I can develop them.

Also further question: according to this https://girensgreed.fandom.com/wiki/EFSF_Event_Tree The only way to keep Ryu alive is to let the White base get defeated and thereby turning of White Base mode, but later White Base omde events says that Ryu gets exp if he's still alive. Is there a way to keep him alive while still being in White Base mode?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bandai didn't announce Seed Destiny as GUNDAM DESTINY with the seed connection hidden. UC's all encompassing enough that new projects dont feel a need to designate themselves as UC sometimes, but they tend to keep AU stuff very closely tied in terms of logo design and advertising.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

Plus, you know. An IBO spin-off means that potential new fans will go "I didn't watch that one. Do I have to catch up?" which misses the main benefit of the AUs over just doing more UC stuff.

I don't think that's a concern Sunrise has, considering Gundam Build Fighters Divers Re Rise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I don't think that's a concern Sunrise has, considering Gundam Build Fighters Divers Re Rise.
1) i think a niche spinoff aimed at hardcore fans is a bit different
2) its actually just called build divers, theres no fighters in the title. so its just a sequel to, one show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tbf that one did take a break to summarize the important context from divers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endorph posted:

1) i think a niche spinoff aimed at hardcore fans is a bit different
2) its actually just called build divers, theres no fighters in the title. so its just a sequel to, one show.

The Build subfanchise isn't aimed at hardcore fans, it's a TV series aimed at kids.
I'm just pointing out that the idea that Sunrise wouldn't make a sequel to an AU like IBO is a bit silly. As others have pointed out, Seed got a sequel series, Wing got an OVA, 00 got a movie. And Build got a sequel series, a soft semi-reboot series, and then a sequel series to that, plus mutiple OVAs.

I don't think Witch of Mercury is a sequel to IBO, because, as others have pointed out, there would be no reason for Sunrise to hide that fact. I was just specifically taking issue with Chiasaur11's point about Sunrise's tretment of AUs

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Witch of Mercury is going to be a magical girl gundam show.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Seed was 20 years ago with a sequel, probably late on the whole discussion of au and sequels.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Witch of Mercury is going to be a magical girl gundam show.

Yes. It's gonna be about Sailor Mercury but she's a mech now and it's based entirely on this image

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Seed was 20 years ago with a sequel, probably late on the whole discussion of au and sequels.

Destiny also had Gunpla sales crash, which made Bandaid adjust some plans.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EthanSteele posted:

Yes. It's gonna be about Sailor Mercury but she's a mech now and it's based entirely on this image

Heck I'd watch it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think there's any issue as long as they're consistent with marketing

which is a boat that has already sailed with this series announcement. but i suppose if they revealed it as a sequel when we get actual info on it, that would be acceptable too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Build subfanchise isn't aimed at hardcore fans, it's a TV series aimed at kids.
I'm just pointing out that the idea that Sunrise wouldn't make a sequel to an AU like IBO is a bit silly. As others have pointed out, Seed got a sequel series, Wing got an OVA, 00 got a movie. And Build got a sequel series, a soft semi-reboot series, and then a sequel series to that, plus mutiple OVAs.

I don't think Witch of Mercury is a sequel to IBO, because, as others have pointed out, there would be no reason for Sunrise to hide that fact. I was just specifically taking issue with Chiasaur11's point about Sunrise's tretment of AUs

I mean, Divers was a new continuity, same sort of thing as AGE and SEED compared to the original. Each of the individual settings only got the standard 50-ish episodes.

Also, Re:RISE existing still feels weird to me after Divers's ratings and DVD sales. I know it must have sold Gunpla, but that's only because the other ratings we can find are all so disastrous that Gunpla sales and blackmail photos are the only logical explanations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/rokitbootz/status/1439653293089755138?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Another false accusation against a heroic member of the AEUG by a probable Titan sympathizer.

I have on good authority that Char Aznable is dead.

Now, Quattro may be connected to Casval Rem Deikun, the long lost heir to Zeon Zum Deikun, but can we really blame a man for wanting to avoid a family name tainted by association with the Zabi legacy?

(Also, Char was 5'9''. Quattro is 5'11. Do you honestly expect me to believe that this guy had a two inch growth spurt in his twenties?)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Was Char a war criminal? I’m trying to think what he would have done in 0079 that would qualify. The attack on Side 7?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not 0079 but surely dropping asteroids on Earth qualifies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, Char was 5'9''. Quattro is 5'11. Do you honestly expect me to believe that this guy had a two inch growth spurt in his twenties?

Huh, I'd never realized that was officially a thing before now. Weird. I guess you could assume that he stooped a little as Char Aznable to help the disguise or something.

Ethiser posted:

Was Char a war criminal? I’m trying to think what he would have done in 0079 that would qualify. The attack on Side 7?

His personal Musai, which has a unique bridge where the ports look like an evil face instead of a generic array of windows, can be seen shooting at a colony cylinder with no Federation ships or units near it in the opening prologue of the first 10 or so episodes and the first movie. A Federation ship does hove into view afterwards, but then immediately blows up. So the opening prologue certainly implies that Char participated in the targeted civilian slaughter of the opening days of the One Year War where Zeon destroyed dozens of colony cylinders and/or like he was attacking at least one colony cylinder; not as an unintended target while fighting, but as the intended target with the intention of destroying that colony.

He also shoots some civilians fleeing the White Base. He was shooting what he thought were soldiers and just unable to see due to the sandstorm taking place though, so you could probably get him off that charge in an actual trial.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 21, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ethiser posted:

kycilia was fleeing, unarmed, and had expressed her intent to engage in full surrender negotiations with the feds. so shooting her would probably qualify?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

kycilia was fleeing, unarmed, and had expressed her intent to engage in full surrender negotiations with the feds. so shooting her would probably qualify?

Look, he was just doing a favor for his deceased best friend. Are you really going to fault a guy for that?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

chiasaur11 posted:

(Also, Char was 5'9''. Quattro is 5'11. Do you honestly expect me to believe that this guy had a two inch growth spurt in his twenties?)

Char being a very Five Nine Guy works great for me. No wonder the Sazabi is so enormous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe the original char was 5'9" so that's how tall casval claimed he was.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Or maybe he had lifts in his shoes as Quattro.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inferno-sama posted:

Or maybe he had lifts in his shoes as Quattro.

Obviously the answer is just that gravity was pulling his sole as a young man, but he finally freed himself of it as Quattro.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Obviously the answer is just that gravity was pulling his sole as a young man, but he finally freed himself of it as Quattro.

Beltalowda gonna get all them beratnas togetha to smash inyalowdas sasa ke? Crush Axis to dust!

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I ended up rewatching IBO as a result of the new announcements. Doing so, I realised that in the years since I watched it for the first time I had managed to conflate Carta and Iok into one character. I was surprised when Carta got a (relatively) gentle death, and when I started watching S2 I realised that I'd forgotten about Iok entirely except for the way he died.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're both huge annoying idiots (in an endearing way) so that tracks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont find Iok endearing. Carta's obsession with pomp and parade flourish made her the best.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I wish I could forget Iok. That guy sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

char also bombs Loum in The Origin if you're looking for more war crimes.