Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

i hope the pill is just meth, and she's created a town full of meth heads, and she's convinced them they have to drink blood, and file down their teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I still hope they come up with some better motivations for the chemist though, small money, half-rear end research, being responsible for creating cannibals and their murders, inexplicably not being murdered by ever increasingly horde of crazed drug addled mooks. I'm hoping she's sprinkling some demon runes or alien nanobots or mermaid eyelashes or something more magic for an ulterior motive we'll discover whenever the other stuff shows up.

My guess is that the pills are going to tie into the aliens from the second half of the season, and that they/the chemist will be the unifying thread of the double feature.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khanstant posted:

honestly they scrambled for answers to pretty much all the annoying questions I had about the vamp goons and art vamps that I've come around to enjoying this season. I really wasn't expecting them to actually explain the outfits, thought they were just gonna leave that for us to just Accept, but I appreciate that they thought about it and squeezed in an explanation.

I still hope they come up with some better motivations for the chemist though, small money, half-rear end research, being responsible for creating cannibals and their murders, inexplicably not being murdered by ever increasingly horde of crazed drug addled mooks. I'm hoping she's sprinkling some demon runes or alien nanobots or mermaid eyelashes or something more magic for an ulterior motive we'll discover whenever the other stuff shows up.

Maybe she's not a chemist at all. She was the office manager. She was around the chemists, doctors, equipment and paperwork enough to learn this one thing. Then she took her divorce settlement and decided to start her own production. That would explain why she is so bad at science and doesn't seem to know what she's doing. So bad at science.

Or maybe it is actually magic and the whole chemist story is a bald faced lie. That would be better. She claims it is science because "meth for artists" makes more sense to her target market.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe she's not a chemist at all. She was the office manager. She was around the chemists, doctors, equipment and paperwork enough to learn this one thing. Then she took her divorce settlement and decided to start her own production. That would explain why she is so bad at science and doesn't seem to know what she's doing. So bad at science.

Or maybe it is actually magic and the whole chemist story is a bald faced lie. That would be better. She claims it is science because "meth for artists" makes more sense to her target market.

Honestly I could see it as she's a poo poo chemist who made this thing and got fired because they found out she's got insane beliefs that go against scientific logic.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

So the agent has to have taken the pill by now, right?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

so much happened this episode, but it was like one big wet fart. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if they don't eat that baby in the next episode.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I get that they want to have uncomfortable tension, but I was just full of excited anticipation this episode and no payoff. It's like this season they're having trouble navigating between straight horror and camp.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Currently watching episode 5 and being like :ohdear: the whole time.

E: Yup dat baby gonna get eaten.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 16, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

So the agent has to have taken the pill by now, right?

She hasn't had any changes in behavior. :shrug: I'm not sure what the benefit would be for her other then not smelling like food.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Really going to need us to get to the fireworks factory on this half of the season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really liked this last episode and don't mind that it's a slow season. The acting's great and the cinematography outside of the shot reverse shot inside every building is nice too. Just an all around great season.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

I really liked this last episode and don't mind that it's a slow season. The acting's great and the cinematography outside of the shot reverse shot inside every building is nice too. Just an all around great season.

Yeah I'd agree that this episode was a step in the right direction. Last episode seemed to be a sort of break from the norm with the whole flashback situation.

I must say, all that baby peril hits just a little bit different when you're a new dad :stare:

And I can't help but feel terrible for poor Doris. She really didn't deserve any of that bullshit. I'm really hoping for some comeuppance for the rest of the Gardners next episode

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What's up with the pale ones? I know the show is never going to explain anything, but still, what's up with those guys?

I just noticed that all the existing pale ones are very tall and appear male. As far as we know this episode introduced the first female pale one. It would be funny if the effects of paleization were different for men and women but it simply hasn't come up in the Chemist's slipshod trials so far.

timp posted:

And I can't help but feel terrible for poor Doris. She really didn't deserve any of that bullshit. I'm really hoping for some comeuppance for the rest of the Gardners next episode

Maybe she will become the queen of the pale ones.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

timp posted:

Yeah it hit hard. Doris turning into a nosferatu was kind of predictable but I think it was just a lot of character set up. I feel like this is the first season since Roanoke where you can actually describe the characters and their motivations. Things are being set up and paid off without huge exposition dumps.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

What's up with the pale ones? I know the show is never going to explain anything, but still, what's up with those guys?

I feel like they've explained this several times?

But yeah, they're what happens when someone "untalented" takes the drug. They're all dressed that way because Billie Lord's vampire inspiration is Off Brand Hot Topic.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Do the pale ones not have filed down teeth? Swore they did.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like they've explained this several times?

But yeah, they're what happens when someone "untalented" takes the drug. They're all dressed that way because Billie Lord's vampire inspiration is Off Brand Hot Topic.

How are they avoiding getting arrested? During the summer that town is chock full of tourists and poorly supervised children. In 5 years they've never tried to grab a kid?

What is their relationship to the art vampires? At first I thought they were just separate because they don't smell like food to each other, but now it seems like they are controlled by the art vampires or afraid of them.

If they are mostly eating small animals, how are there still so many unwary full grown rabbits around? Both the girl and the mom were able to catch a rabbit to eat on their first try. Is someone deliberately releasing rabbits into the cemetery for them?

The first pale one had several days of being coherent. He was able to go coat shopping and beg for more pills. Doris was fully incoherent in, what, 12 hours? Is that because she's female? Had just had a kid? What's up with that?

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Do the pale ones not have filed down teeth? Swore they did.

They do, yeah. And it makes no drat sense. The tattooist/dentist didn't take the pills until a couple years in. So who arranged for the existing pale ones to have their teeth done, and why?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Maybe they just file their own teeth and don’t need an actual dentist to make them a set of normal dentures.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

They are a metaphor for people who try to be predatory capitalists and fail. :ssh:

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

readingatwork posted:

They are a metaphor for people who try to be predatory capitalists and fail. :ssh:

Neither we've seen with a back story wanted to be predatory. The first was a buddhist pacifist, and (iirc) Doris did not want to hurt anyone. I think they're a metaphor for people who fail at capitalism because they aren't predatory.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The pale ones make zero sense. They're all attracted to big shoulder pads and have filed teeth and opt between eating animals or humans. gently caress it, you gotta let Ryan Murphy have something that's stupid and ridiculous.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why don't these rich people set up a fake charity that takes blood donations, you can refrigerate blood for up to two months before it goes bad. Seems much easier, less need to give yourself a shark mouth, and doesn't leave a trail of corpses. Plus you probably have less likelihood of drinking blood with meth in it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why don't these rich people set up a fake charity that takes blood donations, you can refrigerate blood for up to two months before it goes bad. Seems much easier, less need to give yourself a shark mouth, and doesn't leave a trail of corpses. Plus you probably have less likelihood of drinking blood with meth in it.

Because they are all barely competent artists with drug induced narcissism. Austin, Belle and Micky were barely able to support themselves before the pill, none of them seem to have the skills to set up a business plan. None of the people willing to take the mystery pill were winners before they took it.

I understand that in America it is legal to sell your blood plasma. They take out some blood, separate out the plasma, put the rest back and give you some money for your trouble. Seems like it would be real easy to set a up a place that diverted a little of the whole blood. Take 100ml from each donor and the probably won't even notice. By the end of the day you've got a few litres of whole blood. Pay twenty bux more than the other plasma places in your town and you'll have people lining up to sell their blood to you.

Or just start a cult or homeless shelter. Everybody gets a drug test once a week that takes a biiig vial of blood. In return they get big meals and a clean place to sleep and mysteriously nobody really cares if you fail your drug test. Expensive to set up, but it's probably a tax write off.

I'm sure the agent lady could come up with something other than mass murder.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The whole point is the predation of the rich and famous for their "art" though. Obviously they could do it a lot better, but they believe (and the Agent doesn't need the pills to think this way) that true art requires human suffering, preferably someone elses.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

The whole point is the predation of the rich and famous for their "art" though. Obviously they could do it a lot better, but they believe (and the Agent doesn't need the pills to think this way) that true art requires human suffering, preferably someone elses.

Yeah, it's a metaphor for the way writers rip off other people's experiences for their writing, instead of having a unique perspective of their own.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Baby blood is an allegory for producers preying on naïve newcomers or just a plot device so people can't go what about a blood bank

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I thought the baby thing was an allegory for how the rich and famous eat babies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Over the weekend we were in Providence, and so decided on a whim to drive out to Provincetown for a day. We just randomly chose a place to park and started walking around and looking at all the pretty houses, and suddenly realized by coincidence we were in front of the Gardners' house. That was pretty cool.

I will say, Provincetown in September was a lot more lively than it is in the show. Also not even a single giant shoulder pad in sight!

killer crane posted:

I thought the baby thing was an allegory for how the rich and famous eat babies.

It is kind of funny that AHS did a Trump-focused season called "Cult" which debuted a month before Q started posting.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, is that giant tower real!?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait, is that giant tower real!?

Yeah, it's the Pilgrim's Monument. There's a local museum attached to it. We went passed it, but we got there near the closing time so didn't stop and actually go through it. Funnily even though it was a nice day, there's a lot of fog there so for part of the day, the top of the tower was obscured by fog, which felt very appropriate!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

How are they avoiding getting arrested? During the summer that town is chock full of tourists and poorly supervised children. In 5 years they've never tried to grab a kid?

What is their relationship to the art vampires? At first I thought they were just separate because they don't smell like food to each other, but now it seems like they are controlled by the art vampires or afraid of them.

If they are mostly eating small animals, how are there still so many unwary full grown rabbits around? Both the girl and the mom were able to catch a rabbit to eat on their first try. Is someone deliberately releasing rabbits into the cemetery for them?

The first pale one had several days of being coherent. He was able to go coat shopping and beg for more pills. Doris was fully incoherent in, what, 12 hours? Is that because she's female? Had just had a kid? What's up with that?

They do, yeah. And it makes no drat sense. The tattooist/dentist didn't take the pills until a couple years in. So who arranged for the existing pale ones to have their teeth done, and why?

See normally I'd tell you to pipe down and stop overthinking this dumb TV show, but you have every right to be asking these questions since the writers stupidly tried to answer a few of them for no reason. They opened themselves up to these kinds of critiques.

Does anyone know if all these actors in Part 1 will be playing new characters in Part 2 as if it's a new season? Almost seems like they're going to have to, unless Murphy has Cody Fern, Kathy Bates, and a bunch of other series regulars waiting in the wings ready to go.

Chairman Capone posted:

Over the weekend we were in Providence, and so decided on a whim to drive out to Provincetown for a day. We just randomly chose a place to park and started walking around and looking at all the pretty houses, and suddenly realized by coincidence we were in front of the Gardners' house. That was pretty cool.

That is pretty cool! Any chance you grabbed any pictures?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

timp posted:

See normally I'd tell you to pipe down and stop overthinking this dumb TV show, but you have every right to be asking these questions since the writers stupidly tried to answer a few of them for no reason. They opened themselves up to these kinds of critiques.

Yeah, I know. I think this is a show that would do better in binging. It's a cool, stylish show, but having a week to think about things between episodes isn't doing me any favours. It's best to just enjoy AHS as a ridiculous spectacle.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I keep waiting for some big twist that the "talented" people actually just got lucky.

So far we've seen the extent of these "super talented" people being rewriting Avatar 2, rebooting Speed Racer, and playing the violin extremely well (but not actually creating your own music or anything).

I'm probably overthinking this, though a few other people have also noted that they're just regurgitating already existing things, not adding anything to the world.

I'm willing to overlook all the Nosferatu vampires dressing the same and not getting arrested, but I need to know if Speed Racer reboot is a joke or we're supposed to think its a big deal.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The magic pills don't make you more talented, they make you more marketable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I chalked it up to her being out of her mind on pills, stress, gaslighting, hormones, etc. The sound of the baby crying made her go berserk, which seems like it's piggybacking off the physiological reaction a new mother would feel when hearing baby cry. But yeah, seemed a bit fast of a transition but its AHS, stuff always happens fast when it's time to move along.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I keep waiting for some big twist that the "talented" people actually just got lucky.

So far we've seen the extent of these "super talented" people being rewriting Avatar 2, rebooting Speed Racer, and playing the violin extremely well (but not actually creating your own music or anything).

I'm probably overthinking this, though a few other people have also noted that they're just regurgitating already existing things, not adding anything to the world.

I'm willing to overlook all the Nosferatu vampires dressing the same and not getting arrested, but I need to know if Speed Racer reboot is a joke or we're supposed to think its a big deal.

Isn't the author dad writing original works? I got the impression they were making all sorts of different work. It's all good for what it is is, whether that's impressive is up to you. Like the little girl playing violin... Not impressive, I know playing instruments really well is very hard, and I've been moved by music, but I don't think I've ever been like "hot drat, this person in the orchestra is just next-level, hope we get to hear them make violin noise just as good as what someone wrote down.

Hey I'm super talented art vampire, maybe you've heard of my famous books and tv shows, they're everywhere I'm a mega millionaire and btw here's my daughter she can play music, in one instrument, just as good as a computer!

I thought it was interesting that methlady took the pills, was cool feeding on a big art vampire, then turned out to not be talented enough, and then drowned herself. Is this how the mermaids will come to have a taste for art vampires, or maybe they snack on her corpse and get addicted themselves?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

timp posted:

That is pretty cool! Any chance you grabbed any pictures?

I was considering getting a picture of the house but it was literally just a regular house in a residential street with people having out on their front porches around it and walking their dogs down the street, so I felt bad about taking a picture of what I assume was someone's house.

If I head back there in the winter and it's properly cold and abandoned then I'll try and snag a shot or two. Especially as that would better fit the show aesthetic!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Was methlady not talented enough? I got the impression she did her art good and then killed herself because she didn't want to live as a vampire. She did her masterpiece and then offed herself.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Facebook Aunt posted:

Was methlady not talented enough? I got the impression she did her art good and then killed herself because she didn't want to live as a vampire. She did her masterpiece and then offed herself.

That's exactly what happened. Karen says that she didn't care if she is talented enough for the pills to work, she didn't want to be a monster.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I just rewatched and I reckon you could take it either way, but she doesn't look quite as frustrated as interior design mom did. However, from the way she was making paint strokes, the paints, brushes, and paper involved, I have to imagine that at best, she scribbled out some sloppy landscape prolly looking more basquiat than william turner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Im pretty sure she was a talented vampire because she was able to eat Macaulay and the specifically showed/said the untalented vampires couldn't do that.