Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was actually kind of curious about the logistics of that myself, but every DRZ400 I’ve ever seen has come with the brake line looping up above the MC before running down the fork. I just assumed there was some method to the madness given the amount of things I apparently haven’t learned about bikes yet can fill a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I mean it's most likely fine to loop it up top because there should be no air in the line anyway. It's just that it adds a potential source of annoyance if you have to bleed the lines, so if there's no good reason to do it, I wouldn't.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Sagebrush posted:

That is a hydraulic line. Why would you run the hydraulic line in a loop above the master cylinder? If any air gets into the line, it will now end up in a place from which it can never escape.

However this works? The length of the hose and the position of the guides on the fork kind of look like it was meant to be routed like this

Edit: I mean it's only got a little more than half the suspension travel as that Honda and it works alright as is, it just looks like it's supposed to have that loop to take up the slack in the hose rather than the hose going kind of zig-zag between the guides when it compresses.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 15, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A picture would be helpful because we can't see inside your head, thankfully.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the subject of brakes:

Is there a thing that you can connect to brake bleeder nipples that won’t constantly slip off and immediately make you hate life? My bleeding kit came with these little rubber hoods but they’re worthless. I have a different attachment which is just a plastic .. needle type thing that I kind of jammed into the end of the nipple and it kind of stays put with friction but it’ll dislodge if I pull the tube with any accidental force. I don’t know if there’s something that professionals use that clips on or what?

Or does everyone just curse as the hose slips off repeatedly and subsequently try to do the job as quickly as possible?

Oh anyway, the real question is, if this exists what is the search term. I refuse to believe that rubber hood thing is the height of brake nipple technology in 2021.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

zip ties homie

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress how did I not think of literally the most obvious solution? Thank youuu

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Throw all those little hoods and needles away, keep the 2 and 3 way barbs.

Here’s how I bled the brakes on my wife’s car this weekend, after hours with the hand pump:
Topped up the reservoir to the brim, ran a clear tube from the bleeder into a 3/4 full bottle of fluid, just barely cracked the bleeder and then pumped the brake slowly and steadily till I stopped seeing bubbles in the line. The mc pushes more out on the closing stroke than it sucks in through the bleeder on the return. I’m pretty sure it works with a bike too, buddy of mine swears by it. I was about to lose my mind after yet another hour of pumping on the harbor freight mityvac clone, and this finished it in like 3 minutes per wheel.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I pretty much have done it like it's a car. Apply even pressure on the brakes and close the bleeder before the brake lever is fully squeezed. Do it a few times. Make sure the reservoir has enough fluid to support it. Make sure the brake isn't released at all during the process or you will suck air in.

I just use the little bottle so fluid doesn't go everywhere.

Well on a car I never have a hand so I just open the bleeder and walk away. Gravity eventually does it. If I have a hand I have the person do the same thing with the foot brake.

I usually use a closed wrench or offset wrench to lightly open and close the bleeder during the process, takes less dexterity when you are managing a lovely bleeder bottle and using your other hand on the brakes. Takes a few minutes.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 15, 2021

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

I'll add to the above: people often put on a weaksauce smear of grease and wonder why the bearings last a month. You want the rollers and cages to be absolutely packed with grease, no metal visible basically, and a good 5mm thick layer on all the races. Most of it will get pushed out of the way under normal operation and can't find it's way back in so you want to get full coverage.

My tip on forks: put them both in the triple to roughly the height you want, with the center nut loose. Tighten the lower pinch bolts temporarily. Tighten the center nut. Loosen the lower pinch, set the fork height perfectly, tighten the upper pinch bolts. Give the top clamp a few light taps with a rubber mallet or similar, then tighten the lower pinch bolts. Perfectly aligned forks result.

The wheel comes afterwards like people have said.

Have you thought about writing like a picture book for generic motorcycle teardown and assembly, like a generic Haynes manual for a motorcycles, and selling it? It would probably sell.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

w/r/t the lovely vac bleeders: I don’t actually use the vacuum pump. It sucks and it was way faster for me to use use the hose and can and do the crack-bleeder-squeeze brake-close bleeder-release brake thing than it was to even unpack and set up the vacuum. I only mention it because it came with a handy set of tubing, a reservoir that I can stick to metal so it doesn’t spill all over the place, and those little needle things which have (to date) been the only things that have worked at all any nipple I tried.

Doing a full brake flush on the DRZ took WAY less time than I expected and I don’t mind doing it the non-car way, except when the loving hose pops off for the 9th time and causes me to yell something unfortunate and frighten the children playing in my neighbour’s yard.

I’ll try the zipties this weekend though. And I just realized I also have little itty bitty spring clamps which may also do the business.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I don’t actually use the vacuum pump. It sucks

Well duh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s 6:30am and I just sleep-walked right into that one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The vac pumps always pull a ton of air through the bleeder threads in my experience.

I’m a bleeder-crack-and-pump guy

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m a bleeder-crack-and-pump guy

It's more honest I guess, but love-em-and-leave-em guy sounds nicer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The nice thing about a bike is you can reach both the bleeder and the respective master cylinder at the same time. At least on most bikes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like to do the front first because while it's not difficult it certainly CAN be annoying if you have one caliper and it's on the left side of the bike.

It makes the rear much more enjoyable to pump by contrast.

:wink:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Have you thought about writing like a picture book for generic motorcycle teardown and assembly, like a generic Haynes manual for a motorcycles, and selling it? It would probably sell.

I'd buy it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chilton's used to publish a few general moto repair books. There's another publisher called Motorbooks Workshop that has several.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
On the subject of moto repair books, I’m buying a service manual for my new Honda and the printer suggested the Honda Common Service Manual as well. Is it worth spending ~$80 on one?

Edit: Lemmy at revzilla gave it high praise

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 17, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BabelFish posted:

the printer suggested

:tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/ppathole/status/1116670170980859905?lang=en

I've never seen that particular manual or read any of it but the description suggests it is to give you a baseline of knowledge and terms specifically so you can someday be a Honda powersports tech. The shop manual specific to the bike is absolutely worth every penny or :filez: efforts but you already might have the knowledge of the "Common Service Manual".

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone have tips for freeing a frozen clutch pack? 2003 R1 engine in a lotus style frame, not sure if I can pull the cover without pulling the whole motor so I'm looking for alternatives.

I have a bungee cord pulling the clutch arm to relieve pressure. Ran the engine for a bit, in neutral, to get things up to temp earlier. I'll probably try to run it in gear carefully with the wheels off the ground tomorrow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone have tips for freeing a frozen clutch pack? 2003 R1 engine in a lotus style frame, not sure if I can pull the cover without pulling the whole motor so I'm looking for alternatives.

I have a bungee cord pulling the clutch arm to relieve pressure. Ran the engine for a bit, in neutral, to get things up to temp earlier. I'll probably try to run it in gear carefully with the wheels off the ground tomorrow.

You could try warming it up, bring the revs up and just clunk it into first with the clutch pulled and the wheels on the ground. You could also try 2-300ml's of kerosene in the engine oil, as long as you don't put it under any load while it's in there and change the oil straight away after it frees up.

There's basically no 'good' or 'right' way to do this, you're pretty much down to choosing your flavor of hail mary, with the almost certainty that you'll have to pull the clutch out after anyway because there's a good chance it won't grab properly after you break it loose; often the friction material comes off the backing plates because it's so baked onto the steels.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sounds like it's time to order a replacement and see if I can pull the cover. Thanks

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Can I get a sanity check on this: if I tighten up my exhaust header nuts by feel, and go for a ride, and then after that ride I put the same amount of force into them with the same spanner and they turn some more, then is it reasonable to conclude that they a) weren't on tight enough, or at least b) definitely weren't on tight enough to do any damage to the head?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They often loosen after the first ride because everything gets hot, expands, then contracts back down and everything shifts a little.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's always a good idea to check any nuts and bolts you were messing with after the first ride or two because yeah, everything just kinda shifts and settles as the machine moves.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll just keep an eye on them for a while then and try to stop sweating it, cheers.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Renaissance Robot posted:

Can I get a sanity check on this: if I tighten up my exhaust header nuts by feel, and go for a ride, and then after that ride I put the same amount of force into them with the same spanner and they turn some more, then is it reasonable to conclude that they a) weren't on tight enough, or at least b) definitely weren't on tight enough to do any damage to the head?

Does your bike have a crush washer\gasket between the head and header?
It would be hard to overtighten. The crush washer deforming under your wrench would feel sus as hell for a while.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Two questions.

1. It looks like one of the threaded fairing mounting holes in my aluminum subframe on the DRZ is stripped. I must have done it but I’ll be damned when since I haven’t been super tight with any bodywork on since I bought it. Suppose it could have just been already somewhat weakened and the threads just gave way the last time I just put the panel on. ANYWAY, is there anything I can do in aluminum short of tapping a larger bolt? I don’t love the idea of an odd-size fastener I have to keep track of but I mean I will if it’s the least stupid way. Right now I have a nut on the fastener on the other side of the subframe but that’s just as lame. I’d try for a helicoil or something but it’s relatively thin aluminum. Probably good for like four or five threads.

2. I need to get a new triple tree clamp bolt since I managed to round off the head and had to force it open with vice grips. I want to get a longer one to mount some tripe-mounted handguards. I’m not sure if I should be looking for the kind of bolt where the threads start halfway down, or just a regular fully threaded bolt, or if it doesn’t matter? I feel like the half-threaded one makes the most sense since I’m not sure how I’m expect to cinch the clamp together if the threads extend through both sections.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. Rivet nuts

2. It makes no difference where the thread stops, fully threaded will likely be easier as there's no risk of bottoming out and you can cut it to the exact length you want, however I'm of the opinion that attaching anything via the pinch bolts is lovely and bad; if you aren't confident without a torque wrench in your pocket then you're completely hosed when it comes to tightening something critical while it also has to hold some flappy poo poo that was never meant to be there. I think if you want hand guards, the sane and normal option is like acerbis or whatever that bolt to a plug in the end of the bar and a clamp halfway down the bar.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Didn’t know rivet nuts even existed, thanks.

I have Cycra probend handguards but had a real hard time getting the clamps to line up right on the bars. Absolutely no luck with Cycra’s clamps even though they’re supposed to work together, either the clamps were at a weird angle to the bar when the guards were sitting at the desired angle, or if I forced the guards to the clamps then the bar end was at a weird angle.

I grabbed their triple tree mounts and they lined up perfectly first try so I guess I’ll still try using them, but I’m open to putting them on the bars as god intended if I can figure out wtf is going wrong.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so hand guards fitting perfectly on the first try is basically impossible and not something anyone can do afaik. You need to get super brutal and just bend and twist them until they work and stay on there; there are three million different kinds of bar out there and they can't possibly account for all of them, you are expected to just make them fit.

Posting a picture would be really helpful but even then it's 90% likely the answer is just bend and force them until they fit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That sound brutal but I can give it a shot. I have the triple mounts on there right now but ill give it the ole college try in the next week or so. I need to replace the screws either way since I cant reliably feed the oem ones into the torque wrench anymore :/

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 20, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's this contrast between doing factory repairs and servicing etc, which is like a soothing meditative surgery, and doing aftermarket stuff, which is roughly like ork engineering but with more violence and swearing. I have a permanent hate for nearly all aftermarket farkles because they tend to fit so badly and turn my job from surgeon to blacksmith.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Handguards take modification to get on, as slavvy mentioned all bars are different so you need to bend then to fit the mounts and bars. My acerbis guards needed to be bent but eventually fit perfectly. Just take your time and go slowly. A vise made it easier. If they connect to the ends of your bars, you really want them to sit square on the bar ends and not angled.

As for the stripped fastener heads, are you using six or twelve point sockets/wrenches? I switched to all six point and I don't have an issue with rounding off fasteners anymore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah 12pt is for chumps and I'm not entirely sure why they exist, there are occasionally 12pt fasteners but they're stuff like cylinder head studs, conrod bolts and so on that you can just buy individual sockets for.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yeah 12pt is for chumps and I'm not entirely sure why they exist, there are occasionally 12pt fasteners but they're stuff like cylinder head studs, conrod bolts and so on that you can just buy individual sockets for.

They probably don't make sense for bikes but if you're crammed somewhere awkward and have zero access, 12 point (especially long) sockets are a godsend and some jobs would be a huge pain in the rear end without them. They go on so much easier and when you're completely blind and doing it all by feel and can't afford to drop it, you just want it to go on the fastener first try.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All 6pt sockets, and meticulously use the correct ones (not scrub tier SAE-on-metric-because-"close-enough" lack of effort) either. All I can figure is that maybe they started rounding earlier and I didn't insert a socket deep or completely enough at one point, or the PO started rounding them off or something. At any rate, the damage is done.

So yeah I mean it was a good wrenching weekend but looking back at it I did strip at least two fasteners. The head of the triple bolt and that stupid frame fairing fastener. It's been a long time since I had to feel that sinking sensation of having your wrench/tool just slip under pressure because the metal gave way :|

Unrelated question: What is the gas-flooding failure mode for a gravity non-vacuum carb? If you leave the petcock on and the carb float doesn't seal properly? Trying to think of what else.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of farkles either. I've done a few quality of life mods like USB power or phone mounts but for the most part I like to think I've steered clear of farkles. The hand protector thing is 100% just me wanting to see what riding with a tiny bit of wind protection is like, and I guess maybe saving a lever in case of a parking lot crash. The OEM bars are 7/8 and I'm on a 1-1/8 unfortunately but c'est la vie

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Unrelated question: What is the gas-flooding failure mode for a gravity non-vacuum carb? If you leave the petcock on and the carb float doesn't seal properly? Trying to think of what else.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: in a gravity fed system with no vacuum so the petcock is basically just a ball valve, if the petcock is left open and the carb's float valves don't seal, you'll end up with gas flowing out of the carb's overflow tube and puddling under the bike. If that overflow is blocked, fuel will end up pooling in the intake or the motor, whichever is lower