Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Lol even hunter-gatherers have religion. There has literally never been a human society without it. It only gets used for imperialism in the same way everything does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Any ideology (religious or otherwise) can be warped and bent to serve an imperialist agenda. Even Darwinist science got perverted into an ideological weapon for that purpose.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't know if we should open the huge can of worms that is the origin of Islam in relation to imperialism, but that sure went more imperial than Judaism or Nordic paganism for instance

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

La Palma can potential create a 2m wave on New York

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BonHair posted:

I don't know if we should open the huge can of worms that is the origin of Islam in relation to imperialism, but that sure went more imperial than Judaism or Nordic paganism for instance

Vikings, known for not raiding, slaving and invading foreign lands.

This is a stupid argument anyway. Conquest and domination is going to be justified in many ways, like with ideology, whether or not it's religious or theistic.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Vikings, known for not raiding, slaving and invading foreign lands.

Not disagreeing with this, but that's not exactly imperial? Vikings either raided a place and went home, or they invaded a place and settled there more or less permanently without any formalised relationship with their original location.

Also is my understanding that their concept of religion was a lot more pragmatic in terms of worshipping whatever local god(s) they met, especially in situations where they were either trading or mercenaries.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BonHair posted:

Also is my understanding that their concept of religion was a lot more pragmatic in terms of worshipping whatever local god(s) they met, especially in situations where they were either trading or mercenaries.

That's just basically any traditional polytheistic religion.

That's not really pragmatism, liberalism og secularism, thats just how a traditional polytheistic religion based around sacrifice and ritual works. There is little concept of doctrine and the idea of personal belief and faith is irrelevant because every action in society is essentially religious.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 19, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tei posted:

La Palma can potential create a 2m wave on New York
I just saw the news of the volcanic eruption and my immediate thought was "Wasn't that the one with the potential to destroy the US east coast?"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Should laballed Greece "Turkey" and Turkey either "Greece" or "Arabia"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Greece's weather is too good for it be Russia. Maybe it's an extension of crime France?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

TinTower posted:

I mean, for most of the internet, imperialism is when America does a thing, and the more America does a thing the more imperialister it is.

It’s what causes people to criticise the IMF but in the same breath praise the Belt and Road initiative.

You might want to back up how these are even remotely the same thing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

You might want to back up how these are even remotely the same thing.

Belt and Road is pretty blatantly China trying to make a bunch of developing nations dependent on Chinese money and knowhow, along with the economic alliances of the partnerships. It's clearly China trying to gain influence in large parts of the world and having a somewhat subtle way to get the partner nations to follow Beijing. Pretty imperial, but a lot smarter and more subtle than the US tactic of invading or sponsoring coups. Also materially better because Belt and Road is about actually building infrastructure and not about destroying stuff.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
You're forgetting how adopting austerity policies and destroying social welfare programs are often requirements for IMF assistance.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Religion was the bedrock of the Roman state as were basically all states I’m aware of pre-modernity. They had to do rituals before every single battle coronation and government assembly to make sure the gods approved of it.

Wasn't just battles and such, hah, they could barely go take a dump without invoking the relevant gods. Certainly such things as signing business contracts, building a house, whatever; better give the gods something, wouldn't want to risk offending them.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Grape posted:

Any ideology (religious or otherwise) can be warped and bent to serve an imperialist agenda. Even Darwinist science got perverted into an ideological weapon for that purpose.

Yes - and that was the point I wanted to make - some ideologies or religions lend themselves to these interpretations far, far more easily. It never stops buttfaces from trying it with ideologies and religions that are much harder to break this way, though, if you look at that Buddhist extremist in Burma leading genocide campaigns on the Rohingya.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Yes - and that was the point I wanted to make - some ideologies or religions lend themselves to these interpretations far, far more easily. It never stops buttfaces from trying it with ideologies and religions that are much harder to break this way, though, if you look at that Buddhist extremist in Burma leading genocide campaigns on the Rohingya.

But that is more of a chicken and egg thing, I would say.
If you are an imperialist society you will end up with an imperialist variant of your religion. If you have an imperialist religion your society will be more imperialist. If you are a victim of imperialism you will end up with an anti-imperialist variant of your religion.
Same is true with almost all plausible moral judgement and almost all value systems.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

But that is more of a chicken and egg thing, I would say.
If you are an imperialist society you will end up with an imperialist variant of your religion. If you have an imperialist religion your society will be more imperialist. If you are a victim of imperialism you will end up with an anti-imperialist variant of your religion.

If you are a victim of imperialism, you will end up with an anti-imperialist religion until literally the instant you gain any power whatsoever.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think you could argue there's, for example, fundamentalist sunni islam, where practitioners in some areas (hey Saudi) are doing some minor imperialisms, while in many other places they radicalize because they've been colonized.

Saudi is also a US client state, but it's a setup vastly beneficial to the Saudi state.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sunni Islam has about a thousand years of imperialism under its belt from before the advent of modern islamic fundamentalism. Shia Islam has a more complicated history of often being the underdog/resistance/anti-establishment sect of Islam, but has also had its own share of ruling dynasties over the years.

There's fundamentalist atheists even, but it's probably a more complicated question whether aggressive/imperialist atheistoc states are motivated by their atheism, how much does their ideology count as a religion, that whole can of worms.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's fundamentalist atheists even
What does this even mean?

Who the hell decided to split up the intervals like that, when they themselves note that they don't align with the developmental phases of a pregnancy?

Aside from that, I'm kind of amazed that you're allowed to just abort a viable actual baby in some US states. Probably not many people who'd "take advantage" of that, given that they've carried the thing for that long, but like, if you did a C-section the kid could survive. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Byzantine posted:

If you are a victim of imperialism, you will end up with an anti-imperialist religion until literally the instant you gain any power whatsoever.
Same goes for most things, like the large leftist and liberal current in 19th c. German nationalism as a way to form bonds of kinship not based on monarchy nor sectarianism in the aftermath of 1815 and 1848, which in the long run...

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Finland is weird because it's technically not "on request", because you have to give a reason, but AFAIK nobody gets denied and "social reasons" are more than 90% of all abortions.
Compare to Poland where it's only after rape or if the mother's life is in danger.

The doctor can still criticize your reasoning and the interview can be humiliating, so people are trying to finally update it.

(I've got 0 experience of abortions and getting pregnant)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Kennel posted:

Finland is weird because it's technically not "on request", because you have to give a reason, but AFAIK nobody gets denied and "social reasons" are more than 90% of all abortions.
Compare to Poland where it's only after rape or if the mother's life is in danger.

The doctor can still criticize your reasoning and the interview can be humiliating, so people are trying to finally update it.

I think UK is similar (it has a little black square of shame too, but it's a bit hard to notice).

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Now that is a beautifully politically loaded map. Holy poo poo.

Kennel posted:

The map is intended to be misleading, implying that US abortion policy is in some way looser and less restrictive than Europe's, when in actual fact it's completely the opposite.

For example in the UK an abortion is legal up to 24 weeks if their is a risk of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman. Since nothing in life is without risk, and certainly not something like a pregnancy, this is effectively a blanket right to an abortion up to 24 weeks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nobody cares about UK laws, since the UK has been erased from reality and the space it used to occupy is now used to display novelty giant flags visible from the ISS.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pasco posted:

For example in the UK an abortion is legal up to 24 weeks if their is a risk of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman. Since nothing in life is without risk, and certainly not something like a pregnancy, this is effectively a blanket right to an abortion up to 24 weeks.
It's still decriminalized rather than legalized, requires two doctors to sign off on it, and has to take place at an approved location, which is far more restrictive than "a medical clinic". This is the case even for "take this pill, then that one two days later" terminations.

Emergency legislation was signed due to Covid to allow telemedical abortion services up to 12 weeks, where the pills are sent by post, and this has massively reduced clinic visits while improving availability, but there's nothing in writing that this can't be reversed on a whim.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm Lake Switzerland and the Mega-Adriatic Sea of No Data

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
https://twitter.com/IlyaYashin/status/1439883299283951619?s=20

Somehow the vote tallying took ages, and the results seem to have slightly changed in Russian election results in Moscow when the completely trustworthy electronic votes were finally included.

Blue is Putin gang.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody cares about UK laws, since the UK has been erased from reality and the space it used to occupy is now used to display novelty giant flags visible from the ISS.

A marked improvement.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What does this even mean?

He’s using fundamentalist to mean people like Sam Harris, Dawkins etc. who remind him of religious fundamentalists in being aggressive, opinionated, and others holding different views as personal attacks and dangers that must be destroyed rather than its literal meaning of strict conformism to sacred texts.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I think it fits. Religious fundies certainly don't conform to the bible.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Even by the strict definition, the Khmer Rouge probably qualify. They treated stuff like the communist manifesto a lot more like sacred texts than than the intended purposes.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Leviathan Song posted:

Even by the strict definition, the Khmer Rouge probably qualify. They treated stuff like the communist manifesto a lot more like sacred texts than than the intended purposes.

I mean, in a sense, marxism is also a universalist-salvationist theory, so the religious load is easy to tack onto it. Same with capitalism, which, in its current incarnation, has many theoretical aspects that purely rely on belief instead of evidence.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

steinrokkan posted:

This would have been a pretty good selling point for the benefits of Brexit to Europe to be fair.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Usually a direct comparison between political and religious metanarrative instantly causes my eyes to roll, but that's usually because the person invoking said comparison thinks that their own worldview involves none of the same psychology, that they themselves are less ideological.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Usually a direct comparison between political and religious metanarrative instantly causes my eyes to roll, but that's usually because the person invoking said comparison thinks that their own worldview involves none of the same psychology, that they themselves are less ideological.

which is in itself a universalist statement, by the way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’ve heard of Wallace’s Line.

Now see Buxton’s Line.

The image quality on that map is awful, so have another:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Did the color key get reversed on that last one? If not, what's the interpretation of the years?

e: ah, the lighter areas used to have malaria, but no longer do?