Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Pleads posted:

While I get the general sentiment of "don't call an election during a pandemic," most of the tut-tutting I've heard has come from the CPC who are basically solely responsible for it still being dangerous to go out in public right now so I mostly just hope they all drown in their own lung juices so we can move on.

They were also calling for us to turf Trudeau for the entire pandemic. What did they mean by that? Did they mean to get rid of him without having an election?

:magemage:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The messaging I have seen is that the Cons are now leaning into the cost of the election more than the pandemic itself. It's almost like they want to get away from the fact that there is still a pandemic due to some idiots handling of it. I wonder why that would be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The provincial con governments won three pandemic elections and shored up majorities in each of them so screaming that it's too dangerous to do a federal pandemic vote doesn't exactly hold water.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Do we have a CanPol election night discord or something? Or do we :justpost:?

edit: I suck

CanPol discord is at https://discord.gg/auSwQkRp do we have to import *everything* from the USA geez lousie!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Wasn't gonna vote for the first time ever but dragged myself to the polls by shear force of habit

Turns I don't have any bill with my new address on cos I live in an illegal suite so it took 90 minutes to sort out, jokes on me

I think it's gonna be a lib minority again, the conservatives may have won but they kinda got sucked into all the anti-vaxx stuff and look like morons (and the PPC is probably eating some of their vote)

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Just going to vent about BC's covid handling in schools.

My kid's school now has a handful of confirmed cases (confirmed directly by parents, who have had their kids tested) and we've heard exactly nothing from the school or government. Classes with confirmed cases have gotten an email about "possible exposure" 3-4 days after the positive case was reported to the health authority. So basically it's ripping through schools right now. Awesome.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Trapick posted:

Just going to vent about BC's covid handling in schools.

My kid's school now has a handful of confirmed cases (confirmed directly by parents, who have had their kids tested) and we've heard exactly nothing from the school or government. Classes with confirmed cases have gotten an email about "possible exposure" 3-4 days after the positive case was reported to the health authority. So basically it's ripping through schools right now. Awesome.

I work for the MoE and we just had an email from the DM congratulating everyone on 'a great start to the school year' lol

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Jagmeet posted a new TikTok of himself blankly staring in a shower which is probably the best representation of the federal NDP voting experience.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Pleads posted:

While I get the general sentiment of "don't call an election during a pandemic," most of the tut-tutting I've heard has come from the CPC who are basically solely responsible for it still being dangerous to go out in public right now so I mostly just hope they all drown in their own lung juices so we can move on.

Lol none of this is correct, and anti vaxxers aren’t going away after the election

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Capri Sunrise posted:

Jagmeet posted a new TikTok of himself blankly staring in a shower which is probably the best representation of the federal NDP voting experience.
Doubly so if you live in a riding dominated by any of the other parties.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Capri Sunrise posted:

Sashimi posted:

Doubly so if you live in a riding dominated by any of the other parties.

Hello from an Alberta NDP voter :sigh:

Starks posted:

Lol none of this is correct, and anti vaxxers aren’t going away after the election
What's incorrect, my admitted anecdote? Conservative politicians being responsible for our absurd fourth wave? Covid people not drowning, or the juices not being from their lungs?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
American observer here - what time will results start coming in and is there a good site to watch them come in real time, like the New York times for US elections?

Good luck Canadian friends, and sorry for sending a literal and metaphorical plague of chuds to you.

Edit: I know some results will take a while to be counted and whatnot, I just like to watch them get tallied and the drama of seeing a general trend take form.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 20, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

cbc.ca will probably have a livestream accessible in the USA.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I did my civic duty today because I thought I moved to the North Burnaby riding where there was like a one point differential between the Libs and the NDP but when I got there I was surprised by the ballot and it turns out that I'm on the wrong side of the road and am still voting in South Burnaby so getting up early and my vote was completely pointless because I'm still in Jagmeet's riding.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Not sure if this policy or just a polling place making their decision but pretty wild nonetheless. https://twitter.com/davidharvey/status/1440009596014415872?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

Do you remember if they start reporting results at 7pm EST or 8pm?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Le Saboteur posted:

Not sure if this policy or just a polling place making their decision but pretty wild nonetheless. https://twitter.com/davidharvey/status/1440009596014415872?s=20

should have made her wait to vote last, coddling these fuckwits isnt the way to go

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I'm sure the right-wing media machine is all geared up to blast stories of voters being turned away for "exercising their freedom" to not wear a mask, therefore the Liberals rigged the election.

Voted. Cool that our local Christian fascism candidate had his charges for threatening to kill Kathleen Wynne dropped because the Crown couldn't be bothered, freeing him up to be irrelevant in another election.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

In and out of my polling station in less than five minutes. No line, everyone was nice and nobody yelling at people about having to wear masks.

The polling station on my card is only a five minute walk, but I noticed one was open even closer right at the end of my street. I figured I should go to the one on my card though since maybe it was overflow for another riding or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

JosefStalinator posted:

American observer here - what time will results start coming in and is there a good site to watch them come in real time, like the New York times for US elections?

Polls close at 9pm local, so the hour after that is generally the big show. The contest will be decided in Quebec/Ontario, so 9-10 EDT, maybe running later if it's close

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Eej posted:

I did my civic duty today because I thought I moved to the North Burnaby riding where there was like a one point differential between the Libs and the NDP but when I got there I was surprised by the ballot and it turns out that I'm on the wrong side of the road and am still voting in South Burnaby so getting up early and my vote was completely pointless because I'm still in Jagmeet's riding.

The only way I'd ever choose strategic voting is if I lived in Jagmeet's riding.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Pleads posted:

Ever since Trudeau got elected, the message has been "We need to remove him as soon as possible so he cannot destroy the country even more" until the time when Trudeau threaten an election with a vote of confidence or actually calls one. At that point, it's all accusation of power grab and useless election.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

everyone:

i am voting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Good luck with that.

Try not to elect the wrong person.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

everyone:

i am voting

have you considered just drinking radioactive waste instead, it's safer and contributes more to canada overall

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

JosefStalinator posted:

Good luck Canadian friends, and sorry for sending a literal and metaphorical plague of chuds to you.

Edit: I know some results will take a while to be counted and whatnot, I just like to watch them get tallied and the drama of seeing a general trend take form.

Another Bill posted:

and ctvnews.ca already has their tracker running

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and hope that since that's the first incident like that I'm hearing about today that it's not going to be a huge problem later on in the afternoon and evening? Good god.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Vintersorg posted:

Sure it's your choice and all but

Several of my first nations friends make this argument (for themselves and their tribe) and to be honest I think they're right in their case

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I voted but the liberals are going to win the riding so it doesn’t matter.

Anyway, voting by mail was easy and good, will do again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

In and out in downtown TO in less than 5 minutes

Had to give a token vote to our NDP dude, shame he's gonna get smooooooooked by Marci Ien.

dudes at work teased me if I was gonna vote libs, I said there's not really a candidate for how left I am now. That shut them up.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Pleads posted:

Hello from an Alberta NDP voter :sigh:

What's incorrect, my admitted anecdote? Conservative politicians being responsible for our absurd fourth wave? Covid people not drowning, or the juices not being from their lungs?

The CPC is not responsible for the 4th wave, let alone "solely responsible". The provincial parties share branding but are independent organizations, there's nothing O'Toole can do to stop a guy like Jason Kenney beyond placing a phone call and asking nicely, especially if he's not PM. Nor have the federal Cons made it an election issue beyond "Federal Employees can get tested instead of vaccinated", but it's not like the anti-vaxxers would just go back into their holes if O'Toole didn't say that. Most anti-vaxxers aren't getting all spun up about what happens to federal employees.

And there's been criticism of Trudeau from all angles for having the election, framing it as a right-wing attack sounds like an LPC talking point. Yes the Cons are huge hypocrites, but the NDP were publicly begging the GG to not allow an election during a pandemic (not for entirely selfless reasons, though worth noting that was their position throughout the pandemic). Sure, it was an anecdote, but it seemed like you were drawing an inference from that anecdote and I'm just letting you know that it's wrong.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
the nerve of some people to act like jason kenney is somehow associated with the cpc

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

mr. unhsib posted:

the nerve of some people to act like jason kenney is somehow associated with the cpc

clearly not what I said lol. Isn't there a whole forum for disingenuous shitposting like this?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

My riding (Richmond Hill) has been flagged as a major battleground. I voted NDP so effectively all I've done is add a meaningless vote to a pile of NDP support sprinkled in 3000-4000 voter increments across the GTA suburbs. With any luck the Conservatives won't take this riding- it's literally a 100 vote difference in 2019 and the incumbent is of Iranian descent so I'm hoping the Persians here will come out for their homeboy.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

fartman posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and hope that since that's the first incident like that I'm hearing about today that it's not going to be a huge problem later on in the afternoon and evening? Good god.

Calgary sounds like they are sending them to what was deemed a "leper" polling place.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

apatheticman posted:

Calgary sounds like they are sending them to what was deemed a "leper" polling place.

Hahaha.... yes!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MA-Horus posted:

In and out in downtown TO in less than 5 minutes

Had to give a token vote to our NDP dude, shame he's gonna get smooooooooked by Marci Ien.

dudes at work teased me if I was gonna vote libs, I said there's not really a candidate for how left I am now. That shut them up.

I guess all that campaigning in the park Annamie Paul did for the Liberals didn't sway your vote.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i gave my guy a vote

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sorry I'll correct myself, the past and future leadership of the federal CPC is to blame for the 4th wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Calumanjaro posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/escrimshaw/status/1439222895121772544

PPC at 21% in Alberta. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Very happy to see that Maxime Bernier is not polling well in his own province