Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

if the fiat 500 doesnt exist anymore then i think its good for that reason, all cars should be that way

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Went fully red mad and nude when I was walking home last year in Brooklyn and thinking about how much my urban environment and local politics are bent and broken in order to accommodate cars, and how they are the major hazard to my health and safety until I'm old enough that heart attacks take over, and how that's all for the benefit of a minority of people here

And that despite all that, how much land and health and money and quiet and peace of mind and blood are all spent on appeasing the oil burning demons, this is considered a car hostile city.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

paul_soccer12 posted:

if you ride a bicycle, you have at least one DUI, no exceptions

You can get DUI's on a bike. loving ridiculous.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i say swears online posted:

modern light rail sucks so bad. austin's line is an absolute joke

That's by design btw.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Basically if your cities plan for light rail doesn't involve closing streets to cars and rezoning easements, then it's just a grift for federal dollars and usability isn't even a consideration.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

everywhere in the US i've been with light rail it basically just exists to shuttle people from the airport or the suburbs to and from the downtown business zones

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1439595189534855172

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

O! mayor my mayor. o7

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You can get DUI's on a bike. loving ridiculous.

not really, I’ve had two drunk bikers drive directly into my stopped car at a light in Philadelphia. of course none of them have insurance and i just had to deal with the scratches/dent myself but at least nobody got seriously injured. it’s dangerous and stupid, take a loving bus they have bike racks up front

e: and actually both happened at intersections where there’s a 24/7 bus and very late subway line so there’s no real excuse

indigi has issued a correction as of 19:11 on Sep 20, 2021

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

the bitcoin of weed posted:

everywhere in the US i've been with light rail it basically just exists to shuttle people from the airport or the suburbs to and from the downtown business zones

Can confirm.

I do actually live very close to one of Minneapolis's light rail stations and used it regularly back in the Before Times, but it's pretty much useful for going downtown, to the airport, or to the Mall of America.

Once they finish the latest expansion (sometime next year I think) I'll actually be able to take it to work when I need to be in the office. That'll be nice.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

loving tankies

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh, and because we're sharing war stories, when I was a teenager I got hit off my bike by a truck and sometimes I think about how I am drat lucky to be alive. Had a hairline fracture in that little ring at the edge of your pelvis (which was pretty drat painful, especially since they didn't spot it at first since, you know, that's in an area of the body they usually shield during x-rays) but I could easily have had my brains splattered all over the pavement. (What's a 'helmet'?)

And then I think about how the dude who hit me was the unofficial mechanic for my hometown police department which is why I initially was considered at fault for the accident (dude literally made a left turn and hit me, but tried to insist that I'd hit him). I swear to god, one of the citations was "obeying all traffic laws".

I ended up having to go to juvenile court and the "referee" (which I got instead of a judge)...I have never seen such a look on someone's face trying not to openly laugh as she wrote DISMISSED across the ticket in giant letters.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that isnt a tank it looks liek a dang btr you utter fools, you cretins

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

that isnt a tank it looks liek a dang btr you utter fools, you cretins

it looks like a tank to me, bitch

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

indigi posted:

I’m in a car vroom vroom

drat Sunday driver beep beep

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it looks like a tank to me, bitch

turn on your monitor

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

https://twitter.com/mims/status/1440007057873248260

it rules that we are trying to get people back into the office now, even setting aside the deadly pandemic that is worse than it has ever been

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

actionjackson posted:

what's your rent lol

congrats, you're probably the first person to note that the rent in cities is higher than the rent in car-dependent places. I should save money by moving to the suburbs, buying a $30k car, and getting a job that pays half as much

nyc rent can be stupid expensive, especially if you live alone, but if you have a roommate or significant other it's not hard to spend <$1000 on rent. I've lived in a bunch of places here and never spent more than that for my share of the rent

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Sep 20, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

https://twitter.com/mims/status/1440007057873248260

it rules that we are trying to get people back into the office now, even setting aside the deadly pandemic that is worse than it has ever been

this is like when on 911 all the air traffic stopped and there was a discernable rise in air quality and people went "wow thats great! breathing clearly is nice" and corporations said "lol we don't give a gently caress, get back in the air you stupid planes"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

buying a $30k car

:magemage:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I finally got my Prius to roll coal.

Nothing like driving by a group of cyclists and hosing them down with soot like I'm driving a steam train.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

congrats, you're probably the first person to note that the rent in cities is higher than the rent in car-dependent places. I should save money by moving to the suburbs, buying a $30k car, and getting a job that pays half as much

nyc rent can be stupid expensive, especially if you live alone, but if you have a roommate or significant other it's not hard to spend <$1000 on rent. I've lived in a bunch of places here and never spent more than that for my share of the rent

no you should live in an urban area that's not nyc

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

actionjackson posted:

no you should live in an urban area that's not nyc

nah

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Love to pay ten dollars for a dozen eggs in Manhattan.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I live in an urban area and my mortgage is 940/month lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lotta cop lovers itt wanting to take way the duke boys' only means of egress

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Take the racist car, but leave the Waylon Jennings intro.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I live in an urban area and my mortgage is 940/month lol

you seem really proud to live in this "urban area" you refuse to name

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the duke boys are cancelled b ecause of the confederate flag on their car, thats the rules sorry

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

you seem really proud to live in this "urban area" you refuse to name

minneapolis/st paul border, a couple miles from downtown

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Isn't it kind of unsafe, or has that changed in recent years?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

the duke boys are cancelled b ecause of the confederate flag on their car, thats the rules sorry

the south will ramp again

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Buck Wildman posted:

the south will ramp again

im from texas and i wont let them

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
The tv show that was made for five year olds that ended up representing an entire culture.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

rad daddy o posted:

Isn't it kind of unsafe, or has that changed in recent years?

depends on the neighborhood, my area is bougie but if you were to go a couple miles down franklin avenue you'd be in one of the more impoverished areas, just north of where george floyd was murdered. main factor is how close you are to a lake or the mississippi river

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

actionjackson posted:

minneapolis/st paul border, a couple miles from downtown

I've never been... could be a cool city! lots of cities are great! but since you're here arguing the pro-car angle for some reason, i'll assume it sucks, since this is the "i hate cars" thread after all

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

I've never been... could be a cool city! lots of cities are great! but since you're here arguing the pro-car angle for some reason, i'll assume it sucks, since this is the "i hate cars" thread after all

NYC is one of the only cities where you can do everything without private car ownership, I'll give it that, but it also has insane housing prices, and you are basically forced to rent your whole life (and often have roommates) unless you are pretty rich. I'm not sure that's worth the tradeoff. I only drive like 2k/miles a year so I get insurance that charges by the mile, it ends up being no more than 50-60/month.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone post your favorite car of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

paul_soccer12 posted:

Everyone post your favorite car of all time