Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Happiness Commando posted:

Who's got a suggestion for memory foam pillows? I've tried a bunch of them from Amazon and they were all varying kinds of bad. I'm sleeping on buckwheat now and its better than polyfill or down, but its not memory foam.
I've been using a tempurpedic that looks similar to this one for at least ten years now. it's basically perfection.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tempurpedic-Symphony-Memory-Foam-Bed-Pillow-with-Washable-Cover-Standard-Size/902138188

I don't know if that one is the same as mine or not, probably been changed since I got mine, but it looks basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thepopmonster posted:

I'm looking for a KVM switch that lets me use a 2048x1152 monitor with digital video inputs/outputs and USB KB + mouse with three or more computers

I did a ton of research into this last year when I started working from home and gaming more often. The answer may not surprise you, but for something that actually works well it's very expensive. I settled on the ConnectPRO UDP2-14AP-KIT, which is basically as good as they get.

Unfortunately, it costs $$$ and introduces latency. I've learned this is fundamental to any display port switching, but maybe it'll be better with displayport 2. Their customer service was phenomenal though, and will even custom modify their firmware for your exact hardware, if needed (and it can be!).

The latency was very minor, but just enough to be noticable in rhythm games and counter-strike, so I gave up and returned it for a refund.

I highly recommend it unless you specifically play rhythm games and competitive shooters.

My workaround is a monitor with multiple inputs (cheaper than a KVM, lol), and I bought 4 USB extension cables that I manually swap a USB hub between. Honestly it's about as convenient.

Edit: in summary, to switch video you basically have to reprocess it, and that's either expensive or bad for high resolution or high refresh rates, and always adds some minor latency.

Rectovagitron has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Sep 20, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any recommendations for a fold down (not out) sleeper sofa?

I have space in my office of about 7' where I'd love to slap in something to sit and sleep on.

I have one from Walmart but it sucks major poo poo.
If there's a really good topper that folds up, I'd do that, too.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
If you can do shelving rather than seating you could try a Lori wall bed.

https://www.loriwallbeds.com/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Interesting but I do need someplace to sit and WFH.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Inzombiac posted:

Interesting but I do need someplace to sit and WFH.

For the sake of your neck, get a desk and proper office chair if you use a computer. Working on a sofa/bed is super bad for you (speaking from experience)

E. Ah gotcha

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Sep 21, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh I do, normally but sometimes I like to kick back for an hour and sift through data mindlessly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a family member is suggesting I use these "mice pouches" to deal with my problem with mice coming inside due to the cooling fall temperatures and also so I don't have to kill them, but this poo poo seems like snake oil to me. and the quick-kill traps I use are basically perfect at their job anyways. anyone here had success with the pouches?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Captain Invictus posted:

a family member is suggesting I use these "mice pouches" to deal with my problem with mice coming inside due to the cooling fall temperatures and also so I don't have to kill them, but this poo poo seems like snake oil to me. and the quick-kill traps I use are basically perfect at their job anyways. anyone here had success with the pouches?

I saw a video a while back about mousetraps, and the best one according to a guy who has to deal with mice all the time because he lives on a farm or somethin is a lid that attaches to a bucket you get elsewhere, and you bait the lid and then mice fall into the bucket through the lid. Put some water in the bucket, and they all drown in there. The whole thing seems pretty loving horrifying for a person but I suppose if what you need is to kill mice, and you are prepared to dump out a bucket of wet mice, then that's the way to go. I suppose if you wanted to just have a bucket full of live mice, you could simply not fill the bucket with water, but I'm not sure which option disturbs me more.

Anyways, here's that video I saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHwvVPT202Y

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
from experience using the dry bucket method, you do not get a bucket full of live mice, you get an abattoir with one very fat mouse in the bottom of it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Invictus posted:

from experience using the dry bucket method, you do not get a bucket full of live mice, you get an abattoir with one very fat mouse in the bottom of it.

Then you release it back into the house.

Worked for a Bond villain, works for me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the answer is a good "eh maybe" for that type of thing . When I had a mouse problem in my previous outdoor car peppermint oil and/or moth balls were recommended. It didn't work. Maybe I didn't use enough/reapply, or maybe they were already too established. I did not try the moth balls.

Your post did remind me to go use the spray (same kind of thing bunch of oils) I have since my car has been put outside due to battery catching fire recall.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Sep 22, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Captain Invictus posted:

This is even more horrible than I imagined

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Invictus posted:

And this is that very mouse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am glad the FATMOUSE website still exists but please do not associate FATMOUSE with the carnage wreaked upon the bucket

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are there any products advertised as "computer" or "blue light" glasses that are worth picking up? New job has me staring at screens even more than usual and I get major eye strain. I already use flux/similar programs where available.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lester Shy posted:

Are there any products advertised as "computer" or "blue light" glasses that are worth picking up? New job has me staring at screens even more than usual and I get major eye strain. I already use flux/similar programs where available.

Windows and Mac have blue light tinting built in now, I imagine desktop focused Linux distros do too.

Are you sure you don't just need regular glasses?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I've been using the Zenni blue blockers for a couple of years and I like them, but it's difficult for me to say whether or not they made a significant difference for me. But they definitely do what they advertise, and even give you a little blue laser pen.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Glottis posted:

I've been using the Zenni blue blockers for a couple of years and I like them, but it's difficult for me to say whether or not they made a significant difference for me. But they definitely do what they advertise, and even give you a little blue laser pen.

If they block blue light how can you tell the laser is blue

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Glottis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6jDSozxaqk&t=644s

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Inzombiac posted:

Any recommendations for a fold down (not out) sleeper sofa?

I have space in my office of about 7' where I'd love to slap in something to sit and sleep on.

I have one from Walmart but it sucks major poo poo.
If there's a really good topper that folds up, I'd do that, too.

The Ikea futon is the best fold down sleeping sofa I've ever owned. I've never owned an expensive one, but the ikea futon is actually comfortable as a bed and passable/mediocre as a sofa.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/nyhamn-sleeper-sofa-with-foam-mattress-knisa-gray-beige-s39306373/

I did own mine like a decade ago, I cannot guarantee they haven't changed the construction of it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Why'd you have me watch this extended video of someone who clearly just likes to hear themselves talk and guffaw? I learned nothing.

They give you a pen that emits visible blue light, the glasses filter it. That's all. There is literally no way you can say it's not reducing the amount of light that enters your eyes, but again, no clue if it matters.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is there somewhere that makes nice lightweight zip-up hoodies with nice designs on them? I can only find non-zip ones or scam sites.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I'm falling down the mattress rabbit hole. Do we have a thread or is the advice just down to "go to SleepLikeTheDead"?

I thought my Zinus memory foam was fine until I spent September in a brand new Homewood Suites and slept on a hotel bed better than my home bed. Half of me wants to be the guy who calls them and asks for bedding details.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

I think I'm falling down the mattress rabbit hole. Do we have a thread or is the advice just down to "go to SleepLikeTheDead"?

I thought my Zinus memory foam was fine until I spent September in a brand new Homewood Suites and slept on a hotel bed better than my home bed. Half of me wants to be the guy who calls them and asks for bedding details.
I think it's really just a matter of personal preference (whether you like foam, a firm mattress, a pillow top coil spring mattress, etc.) and maybe whether you sleep on your back/sides/stomach. I don't think there's a single "best mattress."

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mystes posted:

I think it's really just a matter of personal preference (whether you like foam, a firm mattress, a pillow top coil spring mattress, etc.) and maybe whether you sleep on your back/sides/stomach. I don't think there's a single "best mattress."

Yeah I know, I was asking if there’s a “best place to talk about them.”

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Yeah I know, I was asking if there’s a “best place to talk about them.”
Oh, try this thread in Ask/Tell I guess: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333

I think it's mostly foam mattress people though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone know if/when that giant Home Depot skeleton comes back this year? I need one!!

:hb:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Snowy posted:

Anyone know if/when that giant Home Depot skeleton comes back this year? I need one!!

:hb:

I read a Twitter thread by foone a couple of days ago about their attempt to get one of those skeletons. You can read the whole thing, if you want:

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1443192618502934532

But I'll quote the takeaway:

So yeah I talked to an employee and NOPE they don't have any 12 foot skeletons. Despite what I got told here yesterday, they don't even put them out on the floor, they're just picked up at the cargo drop off by people who bought them online. I don't know HOW they could be bought online, since the website doesn't have a page for this item anymore and hasn't since last month, but whatever. Possibly there's some scammery going on where employees are pre-selling them directly to scalpers. [...] There's someone in the bay selling two of them for 848$ OBO, local pickup only, on an ebay account with 0 reputation. Sketchy.

I hope everyone with a true and honest love of skeletons is able to get one. Flippers can piss up a rope.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

^ this looks like they started going on sale in July and some people might have gotten some. Reaaaaly, wish I jumped on this. https://spy.com/articles/lifestyle/entertainment/home-depot-giant-skeleton-coming-back-2021-1202776013/

Any recs on UPSs? I had an APC and a Cyberpower 550VA, and the APC crapped out after less than two years but the Cyberpower is running strong and helped me in a few blackouts.

I'd like this one to run the cable modem and router, and maybe some sec cameras. Total power draw should be less than 500W.

Dance McPants has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Oct 1, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pastry of the Year posted:

I read a Twitter thread by foone a couple of days ago about their attempt to get one of those skeletons. You can read the whole thing, if you want:

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1443192618502934532

But I'll quote the takeaway:

So yeah I talked to an employee and NOPE they don't have any 12 foot skeletons. Despite what I got told here yesterday, they don't even put them out on the floor, they're just picked up at the cargo drop off by people who bought them online. I don't know HOW they could be bought online, since the website doesn't have a page for this item anymore and hasn't since last month, but whatever. Possibly there's some scammery going on where employees are pre-selling them directly to scalpers. [...] There's someone in the bay selling two of them for 848$ OBO, local pickup only, on an ebay account with 0 reputation. Sketchy.

I hope everyone with a true and honest love of skeletons is able to get one. Flippers can piss up a rope.

Thank you, even though my heart is broken. I feel like an idiot for waiting this long. Maybe I need to set a reminder to look next year or something.

How the hell did they not crank up production this year??

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have experience with loft beds for adults?

I have wicked sleeping issues and need a place to crash in my office so I don't bug my partner. The office is really narrow but could easily fit anything 80" wide or less.
Ideally it would be twin size with a flush ladder on the left side of the front and no desk. The saving grace is that the ceiling is very tall, so even a larger person like me won't feel cramped.

It's very specific but this room is weird.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Oct 5, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone have experience with loft beds for adults?

I have wicked sleeping issues and need a place to crash in my office so I don't bug my partner. The office is really narrow but could easily fit anything 80" wide or less.
Ideally it would be twin size with a flush ladder on the left side of the front and no desk. The saving grace is that the ceiling is very tall, so even a larger person like me won't feel cramped.

It's very specific but this room is weird.

No, but I highly recommend the Exped Megamat 10 for inflatable mattresses. We use them for car camping and they are really comfy and easily blow up/take down, so if this is a temporary thing, it might fit your needs. I think REI is going to have a 20% off sale site wide in th next week or two, so that could save you some extra money too. Just a thought.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Tadger posted:

No, but I highly recommend the Exped Megamat 10 for inflatable mattresses

Check out Wiggys for a car camping, non-inflatable sleeping pad. Inflatables are nice but they come with some severe downsides. A non-inflatable will never leave you sleeping on the ground from a hole or busted seal, and it won't retain moisture from you filling it with your talking hole.

Comatoast has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Oct 5, 2021

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

Is there somewhere that makes nice lightweight zip-up hoodies with nice designs on them? I can only find non-zip ones or scam sites.

Feel this pain

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Brother Tadger posted:

No, but I highly recommend the Exped Megamat 10 for inflatable mattresses. We use them for car camping and they are really comfy and easily blow up/take down, so if this is a temporary thing, it might fit your needs. I think REI is going to have a 20% off sale site wide in th next week or two, so that could save you some extra money too. Just a thought.

Interesting but this will be a permanent fixture.
I've done some messing about and think I found a decent solution.
Having a long, narrow and tall room is bizarre.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I need a tablecloth. The table is 72" long, 30" deep, and 29" high. I know this sounds like a math problem, but I actually do need a tablecloth for this thing and I have no idea where to go about getting a nice one; I've found things that amount to fitted sheets for the surface of the table, but I want a normal-rear end tablecloth that drapes.

I know it is an insane thing to ask for tablecloth-buying advice, but SEO and sketchy Amazon retailers have made shopping for even mundane things a headache, never mind mundane things that are a little off-spec.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Pastry of the Year posted:

I need a tablecloth.

Sounds like something where Etsy would be a good choice. It’d probably be easy to get a custom size made, too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What about a real store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lawen posted:

Sounds like something where Etsy would be a good choice. It’d probably be easy to get a custom size made, too.

Yep, this did the trick, thank you!