Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Multi class circle track?

Also that one bike you can tell is tailor made for this. Look at the handlebars. The other bikes just seem like normal bikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A good lesson in corner speed and geometry though!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Today is the first time I've ever wished for a higher-res dashcam, because I passed this kickin rad gold wing / sidecar combo and I'd love to have had a better shot of him

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Is that a person or one of those Boston Dynamics bipedal robots? Is he wearing hockey pads? Why is-- what is--... What??

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Seems like a demo/exhibition race of an autoracer vs sumos vs [error sportbike knowledge not found]

An excerpt about the bikes:

quote:

Auto Race competitions are held on tarmac tracks, and usually involve eight riders and runs for six laps. The hard surface dictates riders lean round the corners rather similar to motorcycle road racing, than slide as in conventional Speedway, the sport from which Autorace was derived. A typical Auto Race bike is 599㏄ and has a two-speed gearbox. As in Speedway, the bikes have no brakes and are designed with the left handlebar higher than the right in order to help maintain stability while leaning the machine on the banked oval circuit.

Given all that I'm not surprised they run bulkier than usual armour.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

lol never noticed the top tier super sport guy shaking his head at the end before. dude must have thought he had it in the bag.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They appear to be gsxr600/750's.

The way to understand autorace is that it's basically horse betting but with machines instead of animals. Basically mess-free speedway you can bet money on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WuymmgrZI4

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Took my Royal Alloy 150 on a quick scoot out to Sauvie Island yesterday and caught a double rainbow.

Getting my finances in order to get an ADV bike maybe next year for longer trips but hot drat was this a perfect ride.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7OPLWQJYKg

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Geekboy posted:

Took my Royal Alloy 150 on a quick scoot out to Sauvie Island yesterday and caught a double rainbow.

Getting my finances in order to get an ADV bike maybe next year for longer trips but hot drat was this a perfect ride.

Any bike can be an adventure Ike if you try hard enough.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

helno posted:

Any bike can be an adventure Ike if you try hard enough.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t practice in the mean time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4smT4h9OvI

One of the coolest and most frightening things I've seen in a while.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Suzuki is making another GSX* bike based on the K5 motor, this one called the GSXS-GT. Sport tourer. They've gone with angular bodywork that is somehow uglier than the Yamaha and Team Green stuff from the past couple of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boFyUsGqQfY

e:gsx-t is not gsxs-gt

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 22, 2021

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Suzuki is making another GSX* bike based on the K5 motor, this one called the GSX-T. Sport tourer. They've gone with angular bodywork that is somehow uglier than the Yamaha and Team Green stuff from the past couple of years.

Yeah it's uncanny how it's a mashup of ugly Kawa and Yamaha styling.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehhh yeah, not a fan. Looks like Yamaha are the only ones doing it right, right now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Suzuki is making another GSX* bike
Everything they do is a GSX at this point lol.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

I notice the tail has come back down; everything's been angled really high lately to mimic supersports/race bikes, this here is more reminiscent of an early 90s sportbike with a straight through-line from the taillight to the front wheel, but with modern angular plastics instead of the smooth blobs that were fashionable then.

Obviously nobody here likes the greeble but I want to give it credit just for having a coherent design that extends further back than the footpegs instead of just phoning it in like most other bikes in the last decade.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 22, 2021

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I'm kinda digging some of the electronic TFT gadgets built in to the GSX-S1000GT.
And it's supposedly a ton cheaper than the 1290GT I bought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8TMpSA_kI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That isn't a bad looking bike by modern standards, it's pretty coherent and looks like something at least.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

That isn't a bad looking bike by modern standards, it's pretty coherent and looks like something at least.

it looks OK-ish from the side, but the front is no bueno

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

Suzuki is making another GSX* bike based on the K5 motor, this one called the GSXS-GT. Sport tourer. They've gone with angular bodywork that is somehow uglier than the Yamaha and Team Green stuff from the past couple of years.

e:gsx-t is not gsxs-gt

gently caress yes, I've been waiting for this. Some competition for the Ninja 1000 that doesn't have dumbass electronic suspension.

I think it looks pretty good, not great but it's not dealbreakingly ugly like the old S1000F was.

Martytoof posted:

Ehhh yeah, not a fan. Looks like Yamaha are the only ones doing it right, right now.

Uh huh. Have you seen the new Tracer? Hell, have you seen the new MT-09? Their sportbikes look pretty great but everything else on the road side has been getting uglier.

FBS fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 23, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It will quietly be the best bike in its class for the next 20 years because Suzuki

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FBS posted:

Uh huh. Have you seen the new Tracer? Hell, have you seen the new MT-09? Their sportbikes look pretty great but everything else on the road side has been getting uglier.

I won’t lie, I’m not sure I knew the Tracer existed before you mentioned it today. I’ve literally never heard of that bike, seen one, or heard anyone talk about one. To the best of my knowledge.

The MT-09 ehh, it’s so hard for me to judge because I dislike the way naked “sport” bikes look. Definitely not my thing. Every now and then I feel like I warm up to them and eventually it all comes back to “ehh”

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It will quietly be the best bike in its class for the next 20 years because Suzuki

Yeah I could live with the looks. I bet it’s great riding. Seems like they could have added a little range for a proper sport tourer but it would be plenty for most.

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's nice it has a 19 liter tank rather than the 12 they put on the katana

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
idk I like it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I honestly think the Katana is their best looking street bike (other than the DRZ :twisted:)

Also did they not announce the '21 models for Katana or was it discontinued or something? The 21MY street bike page on suzuki.ca doesn't have a bunch of things like the TU250, Katana, etc. I guess I would have expected at least a colour refresh for MY21 like other brands. Can't imagine they killed all these off so I'm GUESSING it's just a "covid production issues made for a weird year so we didn't do poo poo and just kept selling the '20"?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It's still pretty early for 2022 updates, they tend to trickle in on manufacturer sites throughout the fall. Suzuki doesn't even have MSRPs up yet for the new 2022 GSX-Ses

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sure, I'm talking about the '21s though. Looks like there were no MY21 Katanas or TU250s or anything.

I'm not a fan of "wow fancy new paintjob" model year updates so that's not a bad thing, just not something I expected.

Like when you go to suzuki.ca and are like "what bike do I want to buy", if you are someone who shops for bikes that way, you wouldn't know the Katana existed unless you clicked on the "2021" tab which I guess is a weird marketing decision.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I think that new suzi is one of the best looking bikes in it's class in forever. It is beautiful and simple, and polar opposite to the hideous Kawis over the last 20 years. If you LIKE the yamaha and kawi aesthetic, I can see why this wouldn't appeal.

IDK how you can't love that and think it kinda fits the "ideal" look of a sportbike. Love the gold subframe among the blue, and the simple lines.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Imho the fairing extends too far forward, and the headlights are mounted too low. They're also too small, making it look 'blind' looking at the front.

Both are trends i highly dislike on other bikes too. If you don't mind the tiny low headlight look, i guess it's fine.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
There was an R1 that did that a few years back that everyone also hated. I think it's the best looking R1, and love those little eyes. With projector headlight technology, we can get creative with front end looks. And not "alien bug" creative.

It's a touring bike so you know it's gonna be festooned with a million aux lights anyways.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think the front fairing extending far forward has always been a suzuki thing, it's the first thing i notice on their bikes. It's not as boring on second look, but I really like the current yamaha naked aesthetic, so there's that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Coydog posted:

IDK how you can't love that and think it kinda fits the "ideal" look of a sportbike. Love the gold subframe among the blue, and the simple lines.

100% not being snarky but maybe we have a different definition of simple lines. The front fairing is suffering from a lot of "unnecessary angles" and two-tone plastic joins, presumably in service of looking aggressive.

Comparing against a few bikes but I'll pick the R7 I guess:

It's got a few "folds", sure, but it looks like one cohesive sheet of plastic with a few holes for ventilation and has much less of a feeling that someone took a model and kitbashed something together.

But for sure this is subjective. The R7 looks way better to me but can't really articulate it any better than above so fully understand if that's not sufficient to convince anyone.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Coydog posted:

I think that new suzi is one of the best looking bikes in it's class in forever. It is beautiful and simple, and polar opposite to the hideous Kawis over the last 20 years. If you LIKE the yamaha and kawi aesthetic, I can see why this wouldn't appeal.

Styles change and taste is cultural, but the ideal sport tourer look for me is like a VFR. Those have beautiful, simple lines. I do think the gold subframe is great though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my predictions: great motor (this is cheating since the K5 is a known quantity), excellent throttle response, mediocre dash and controls, rusting bolts inside 6 months (faster if you ride in the rain)

It's going to be an uphill fight to gain share against the FJR and Concours, much less win "best in class" against the BMW RS or RT. FJR is expensive now, pushing $18k, the Connie is 2k less. Pricing on the Suzuki is TBA

Suzuki has pics up on their website now:

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 23, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Who is gonna be cross-shopping this thing and the Ninja 1000 with an FJR or a Concours or a big BMW?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

100% not being snarky but maybe we have a different definition of simple lines. The front fairing is suffering from a lot of "unnecessary angles" and two-tone plastic joins, presumably in service of looking aggressive.

Comparing against a few bikes but I'll pick the R7 I guess:

It's got a few "folds", sure, but it looks like one cohesive sheet of plastic with a few holes for ventilation and has much less of a feeling that someone took a model and kitbashed something together.

But for sure this is subjective. The R7 looks way better to me but can't really articulate it any better than above so fully understand if that's not sufficient to convince anyone.

It's gotta be completely subjective because while I don't think that R7 is outright ugly, it's entirely unappealing to even look at. Like I'd rather not look at it.

But this:

Is shaped in all the right ways and not too much anywhere. :getin: It's a coherent design, with a level bone line and all the angles working with the others. Not chaos like most sportbikes and tourers.

FBS posted:

Who is gonna be cross-shopping this thing and the Ninja 1000 with an FJR or a Concours or a big BMW?

Anyone who can see that lineup for being Hideous, Ugly, Okay but kinda grandpa bland, and unless the last one is an S1000rr touring thing then LMAO no.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 23, 2021

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Looks a bit like the H2SX? I mean I prefer the H2SX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

busalover posted:

Looks a bit like the H2SX? I mean I prefer the H2SX.

This looks like a premium skin that comes with paying an extra $15 for the digital deluxe version.