Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1440023594185134086

e: https://twitter.com/EthicalRenewal/status/1440026374807461897

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If you're proper rich, the Tories are so cheap

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't drive, so really don't have much interest in it, but I am a bit interested in green technology stuff, and I've got to say it's pretty bizarre how on SA and left Twitter Teslas are the worst cars ever made and incredibly unsafe and constantly explode, while literally everywhere else I look they're widely considered to be good cars that people like.

everything beyond the pre-musk roadsters jockey each other for "literally the worst cars ever made" and it's not close

I'm sorry everywhere else you look is wrong

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Spangly A posted:

everything beyond the pre-musk roadsters jockey each other for "literally the worst cars ever made" and it's not close

Haha lol ok

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TrueAnon did a really good deep dive on why Tesla is such a hosed up company entirely coasting on Musk's cult of personality if you've ever got a few hours and really get into the ins and outs of it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

80s fiat owners pity you

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
maybe we're all just jealous that our cars are unlikely to incinerate us instantly and release us from this hellworld

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

80s fiat owners pity you

Hey you can fix the gearstick on one of those with a plastic bottle, that's recycling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OKgREcHFM

Also unlike a tesla you can not only open the doors with no electrics you can also start the car!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Spangly A posted:

80s fiat owners pity you

My first car

Lol and yeah I snapped the gearstick off reverse parking

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's probably a good time to fix your utilities for a year or two, if you can. The current cap will be raised in six months or so and it'll probably be pretty painful.

I've just had a quick look on money saving expert and can fix with Sainsbury's Energy for 24 months at roughly the rate I'm already paying. It feels like a pretty solid idea, given the state of things. Fixing for a single year would be slightly cheaper but in the long run it probably works out well.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

sebzilla posted:

It's probably a good time to fix your utilities for a year or two, if you can. The current cap will be raised in six months or so and it'll probably be pretty painful.

I've just had a quick look on money saving expert and can fix with Sainsbury's Energy for 24 months at roughly the rate I'm already paying. It feels like a pretty solid idea, given the state of things.

As long as Sainsburys energy still exists in 6 months.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised that nobody registered Big Dick Energy back when everyone and their dog was setting up a utility company.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/hughlaurie/status/1440008634583355400?s=20

Exquisite.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

she's never been to stoke on a cold rainy night though

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
She's out of your league anyway.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

serious gaylord posted:

As long as Sainsburys energy still exists in 6 months.

That's true but by then they'll have already given me £60 of Nectar points so I'll be quids in anyway.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1440038363910717444

Lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Arrays on the Archimedes started at -10 for some reason. It also had 26 special extra-fast variables you could use to improve performance, helpfully labelled a to z.

This was a computer designed to teach children how to program, which I feel explains a lot.

I assume by 'the Archimedes' you mean its version of BASIC. I don't remember the array index thing but it is not a feature of the CPU hardware. I would be curious to see a reference.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58629592

jesus we suck

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Remember when they brought in omov because they thought it would increase the power of the labour right and stop another left wing firebrand like... Ed Milliband

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's kind of impressive that a party that's completely run out of money would look at its' members - the only people who seem at all likely to give them any money in the future - and tell them to gently caress off.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

Which would be relevant if we were writing a compiler :colbert:

I AM writing a compiler, actually. :colbert:

Well I was before Covid and wfh, the last thing i want to do out of work hours now is fire up a text editor on the machine I've already been using for that for 8 hours.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 20, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

kingturnip posted:

It's kind of impressive that a party that's completely run out of money would look at its' members - the only people who seem at all likely to give them any money in the future - and tell them to gently caress off.

I thought everyone here left the labour party anyway?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nah I''m still in. If everyone on the left leaves then everyone on the left will be gone. But this is making me rethink.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Does this increase the chance of Blair getting another leadership bid because if so I'm all for it. Him, Jess, Duffield, Kinnock jr and errr David Lammy so they can say they're not racist and also kick him out of the race at the first round because he once did a rude tweet about the police

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

feedmegin posted:

I assume by 'the Archimedes' you mean its version of BASIC. I don't remember the array index thing but it is not a feature of the CPU hardware. I would be curious to see a reference.

Ha, I knew someone would call me out on that. I'm afraid my reference is "things I vaguely remember from learning BASIC years ago".
I think it was explained that if you allocate an array of size (say) 20, then what you actually get is an array of size 30 with indices starting from -10. You can use the negative values to store things like array length. No idea if it's true or not, but I've believed it for nearly 30 years so by gammon logic it's not only true but beyond question.

I can't find anything in the Archimedes BASIC compiler manual so it's possible our teacher was making it up, I can't remember if I ever checked.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think tony blair is stupid enough to try the same grift twice, he's a detestable human being but he does know how politics works and you don't go back to the same place you shat.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its why we've gone back to starting new threads every month I suppose

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You don't need to be a member to think this is deeply cynical and dumb

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Ha, I knew someone would call me out on that. I'm afraid my reference is "things I vaguely remember from learning BASIC years ago".
I think it was explained that if you allocate an array of size (say) 20, then what you actually get is an array of size 30 with indices starting from -10. You can use the negative values to store things like array length. No idea if it's true or not, but I've believed it for nearly 30 years so by gammon logic it's not only true but beyond question.

I can't find anything in the Archimedes BASIC compiler manual so it's possible our teacher was making it up, I can't remember if I ever checked.

Ok yeah that COULD be something like array metadata and would be used for yeah stuff like bounds checking to save your dumb rear end from a crash if you go out of bounds and give you a nice error message, i've seen that. For you as J Random Programmer not the guy writing the interpreter though you a) don't care about it just treat your arrays as zero indexed and b) shouldn't gently caress with it unless you know exactly what you're doing it is Not For You. Itd be like loving around with the exact implementation of malloc() on modern Linux, or C++ vtables, both of which do something similar. It'll end in tears.

This is why it's not in the manual, your teacher was giving you a look behind the scenes. :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Starmer really has achieved exactly what he was put in there to do, he's the most successful Labour politician since BOB Blair. A rousing victory for the forces of banal darkness

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've stayed in entirely because if Starmer dropped dead we could take back the party. If they take away omov for the leader I'll go back to the Greens.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i assume its all hypocrisy but i cant click on that to see it all? check your spreadsheets

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i assume its all hypocrisy but i cant click on that to see it all? check your spreadsheets

I captured it from FB not twitter hence the missing bits.
I started going through Grimes twitter to find it but it was doing bad things to my blood pressure.
Yes, gross hypocrisy.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think tony blair is stupid

get a load of this guy

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think tony blair is stupid enough to try the same grift twice, he's a detestable human being but he does know how politics works and you don't go back to the same place you shat.

Tony has repeatedly floated leadership bids and the last time he apparently needed to be strongly talked out of.going for it. At some point he'll try it

E; does nobody have the Adonis tweets about it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I can't read the article about what he means by that so I'm on the fence

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just went to change my SSE tariff online (as I could have done a couple of days ago) and it's not possible! Got to phone.
I'm on the standard variable at the moment.

Think I'll invest in some thermal undies.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I can't read the article about what he means by that so I'm on the fence

Only if we can call it Tony's Think Tank Tesla Tax