Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

I dont know why Blomkamp cant just do a District 9 sequel...you know the one movie of his that was pretty much universally loved.
Because he has too much integrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I dont know why Blomkamp cant just do a District 9 sequel...you know the one movie of his that was pretty much universally loved.

He's working on it:

https://twitter.com/NeillBlomkamp/status/1365167374421225473

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

He keeps saying he’s trying to get the project going, so who knows. I want to say he made a tweet about District 10 fairly recently.

Edit— beaten

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I love blobkomps production design & special effects aesthetic, and he usually pairs an interesting story around that stuff. It'd be awesome to see him to do an alien film, but after getting jerked around by FOX & Ridley Scott and on HALO didnt he say he isnt interested in doing IP work anymore?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Make a corporate drama at Weyland Industries without an alien

Three-part series.

Boardrooms, conference calls, affairs, sex scandals, frame-jobs, back-channel deals and betrayals like in “Succession”

All geared towards the goal of capturing an alien to use for bio-weapons research or whatever.

No aliens appear on camera until the last twenty minutes of the third film.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MrMojok posted:

Three-part series.

Boardrooms, conference calls, affairs, sex scandals, frame-jobs, back-channel deals and betrayals like in “Succession”
We labelled this PR issue "NRPI": No real person involved. Only androids were lost.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

Yeah I was gonna watch AVP but now Ima watch Demonic instead, lol.

Even those ghastly AVP films are better than Demonic, lol.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I hope "District 10" is just a project title and not the final name.

Clearly, it should be called District 9 II.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MLSM posted:

Even those ghastly AVP films are better than Demonic, lol.
I'm impressed that you paid $7.00 to watch a movie by a dude you hate! Thank you for supporting Neill Blomkamp.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I didn’t pay anything.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

District 9 is "universally loved" because it was widely misinterpreted as being a politically moderate historical drama. His score on the evil website went down as his films became more explicitly leftist, and consequently 'divisive'.

smidge you gotta watch Demonic, I didn’t get a drat thing out of that picture and I’m wracking my brain over here. I couldn’t believe it was Blompkamp!

edit: everything else by him is gravy, I should mention

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I just finished Demonic. It sucked. Lol. The one interesting idea that I feel like Blomkamp could run with given the proper budget though: black ops priests using bleeding-edge simulation tech to draw out demons from their possessed hosts in order to hunt them. I thought that was a hilarious reveal but later on felt it would make a good premise for a horror actioner.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 20, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MLSM posted:

I’ll never understand how Blomhack stans still exist after Elysidum, Fappie, and Dumonic. Thankfully that last one destroyed what was left of his career, so we can all rest easy knowing a cynical Terminator: Dark Fart type retread/retcon is not in store for the Alien series. But Disney might find another hack like Hack Snyder to do it with those Disney dollars, so who knows.

Maybe Disney will let Ridley Hack finish the David storyline after The Last Durf and House Of Yawn get nominated/win oscars early next year?

Neil hasn't made a bad movie of any length yet, and demonic looks dope. His career is fine lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

God those names you made up are fuckin sheeeet bro gently caress lmao

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If Blomkamp is going to drag his feet on District 10 he needs to at least turn his "Firebase" short into a full-length movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

is Fappie about a robot who jerks off? was that the joke you were going for because it kinda sounds cool

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

Neil hasn't made a bad movie of any length yet, and demonic looks dope. His career is fine lmao

Demonic was pretty bad imo. I know the film is outside of his usual genre (sorta?), but it lacked all the flair of his previous works that makes his style so distinct. Clearly it was a low budget joint, but it was just so boringly shot. Some neat concepts buried underneath, but yeah, if it weren't for the brief appearance of demon hunting mercenary priests utilizing simulation tech, you'd be hard pressed to know it was a film made by Blomkamp. His Oats Studios shorts are significantly better.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Well I thought the trailer looked neat, gotta go with my gut on this one

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Didn't know they were making a sequel movie alongside the TV show, but I guess I should have expected it. Not really a fan of My Pet Alien - I think the creature works best as inscrutable or actively malevolent, and not just a big drooly dog. Was not really a fan of the human-friendly dinos in the Jurassic World movies.

I am happy they are leaving Ripley out. Honestly I thought Alien 4 was already kind of beating a dead horse with her - the interesting parts of that movie weren't exactly Ripley, though the room of botched clones was pretty good. Scene would have arguably worked better if they never knew where the Aliens came from and then they run into that room as a surprise.

My dream Alien movie is just them giving some visionary director real power to just make whatever they want. Might it be a flop? Sure, but with Alien movies I can at least take comfort in that all of them are at least interesting on a visual level, with some creative ideas. They still haven't done anything that is just directly ripping off Aliens, but I suspect they will eventually.

An idea that could be cool:

- Using the Alien as a bio-weapon. Yes, I know it sucks as a bio-weapon, but could be interesting in a plausible deniability way. Tossing anthrax all over a colony will make you look bad. But, in the instance of some Corp/Gov't honcho wanting to 'accidentally' allow an Alien outbreak to crush the opposition, and then moving in to clear out the Aliens as 'saviors' could be cool. Or, some desperate colonial rebels using them as some last-ditch effort like a finger on the nuke button. Could be a fun set up in the midst of an actual shooting war between the Marines vs Whoever, with Aliens gradually growing in the chaos.

- Some symbiosis style relationship in a creepy colony somewhere. Like, maybe they worship it, or tolerate it, and make sacrifices of living beings to the Hive. I don't see it so much as humans taming the Aliens, but the reverse - Aliens using a set of people as a trap/harvesters for other outsider humans, and the Aliens keep their 'charges' alive, but not in any sentimental way - if the offerings run dry they're gonna kill all these mofos.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

MrMojok posted:

Three-part series.

All geared towards the goal of capturing an alien to use for bio-weapons research or whatever.

No aliens appear on camera until the last twenty minutes of the third film.

im solidly of the opinion that the best possible spiritual sequel to alien would be a pretty straightforward, lightly-dramatized account of the M/V El Faro

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Grapes! posted:

- Some symbiosis style relationship in a creepy colony somewhere. Like, maybe they worship it, or tolerate it, and make sacrifices of living beings to the Hive. I don't see it so much as humans taming the Aliens, but the reverse - Aliens using a set of people as a trap/harvesters for other outsider humans, and the Aliens keep their 'charges' alive, but not in any sentimental way - if the offerings run dry they're gonna kill all these mofos.
There are a couple comics that play with this idea - in ‘Aliens: Sacrifice’, a woman crash-lands on a colony world and learns that there’s an Alien loose on the planet near the colony, but the colonists keep the Alien at bay by regularly sacrificing newborn babies to it. When they fail to make their sacrifices, the Alien goes on a killing spree.

There’s another one ‘Aliens: Purge’ (I think) where it’s revealed that getting leprosy makes incubating chestbursters stop growing inside the host, but the adult Aliens still ignore the lepers (similar to how the Alien wouldn’t kill Ripley in ‘Alien3’) so they just kind of coexist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

There’s another one ‘Aliens: Purge’ (I think) where it’s revealed that getting leprosy makes incubating chestbursters stop growing inside the host, but the adult Aliens still ignore the lepers (similar to how the Alien wouldn’t kill Ripley in ‘Alien3’) so they just kind of coexist.

This owns

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's odd to see people jump to conclusions so quickly about an alien that's friendly after those same people praised Covenant (and the chestburster scene where the Alien mimics David and he talks of taming it when grown prior to it being gunned down) and Alien Resurrection also toyed with how horrifying the idea can be with the interactions between the newborn and Ripley.

This isn't unheard of in the franchise and Ridley's last film very much played with the friendly alien idea, but now someone else is doing it apparently it's bad? I'll reserve judgment because it's something that could very easily be deeply unsettling if done correctly. I can't see it being worse than the chestburster scene in Covenant.

Also Xeno, I too would love to see Blomkamp adapt Labyrinth and I think the flashback sequence would easily become one of the most horrific parts of the franchise. One of Blomkamp's shorts under Oats Studios already created something very similar, so he could definitely pull it off. I'm pretty sure that I posted it earlier in the thread, where aliens took over Earth and built hives where they used humans as hosts and performed experiments on them. Fantastic for a low budget short, those hive megastructures looked incredible and that shot of the Eiffel Tower covered in corpses and mangled people screaming was :stare:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not that I don’t want a friendly alien. I just want to finish the Ridley trilogy.

I don’t care what they do after that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

David died on the way to his home planet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David created the alien and also planted the eggs in the sulaco

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

It's odd to see people jump to conclusions so quickly about an alien that's friendly after those same people praised Covenant (and the chestburster scene where the Alien mimics David and he talks of taming it when grown prior to it being gunned down) and Alien Resurrection also toyed with how horrifying the idea can be with the interactions between the newborn and Ripley.

I explicitly remember a comic I had growing up that featured a pale green-colored xeno that was romping around with marines, hunting other bad xenomorphs. It even had its own "xeno pulse rifle" looking weapon from what I recall, lol. Does anyone ITT know what I'm talking about? Or am I crazy?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

David created the alien and also planted the eggs in the sulaco

He laid them, no less

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

David died on the way to his home planet.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

teagone posted:

I explicitly remember a comic I had growing up that featured a pale green-colored xeno that was romping around with marines, hunting other bad xenomorphs. It even had its own "xeno pulse rifle" looking weapon from what I recall, lol. Does anyone ITT know what I'm talking about? Or am I crazy?

i think thats Alien Stronghold. It was a synthetic xeno named Jeri who had a cigar.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Google image search does not disappoint. That's hilarious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

i think thats Alien Stronghold. It was a synthetic xeno named Jeri who had a cigar.

Oh yeah. Maybe I'm crossing over different xenos together because I do remember a good guy xeno being sorta pale-green or white, but I definitely remember having Stronghold now too lol. poo poo looks super familiar. The other one I'm thinking of had a more "organic" looking pulse rifle, that looked like alien tech.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeimosRising posted:

He laid them, no less

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

I think you’re blending a few things together.

There’s a comic where a deranged General tries to breed “trainable” Aliens to use to reclaim an Alien-infested Earth, and he even equips them with pulse rifles (that they aren’t accurate with at all). He deploys his “troops” and literally the very first thing they do is ignore him and the Queen he’d been “controlling” bites his head off. Lol owned

There’s another comic (Stronghold, mentioned above) that has a synthetic designed to look like an Alien that works in a controlled hive to let the facility research Aliens. One of its “gimmicks” that the head of the facility programmed into it is that it can smoke cigars as a way to amuse guests, though it finds the practice degrading - a major plot point of the series is that almost the entire facility is operated by synthetics except for the head dude, and he abuses the synthetics and treats them like trash. They finally get sick of his poo poo and stage a revolt.

There’s another comic with a synthetic Alien designed by a terminally-ill roboticist who deploys it into wild hives for research and to gather “royal jelly”, a recurring goop in the comics that kind of does whatever the plot needs it to do (sometimes it’s like a PCP-mega-steroid, sometimes it’s a painkiller, sometimes it mutates people like the Black Goo, sometimes people just get high with it).
The robo-Alien ends up trying to defend its creator against some hostile Aliens at one point I think, and I’m pretty sure it gets destroyed.

There’s a comic where a deranged scientist tries to breed a controllable “male” Queen (for lack of a better term), and the moment he sets it loose on its first trial run it goes berserk and tears through the facility, killing a ton of people and setting the previously-contained Alien hive loose until it gets to the hive’s Queen which kicks its rear end and kills it.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a comic where a deranged General tries to breed “trainable” Aliens to use to reclaim an Alien-infested Earth, and he even equips them with pulse rifles (that they aren’t accurate with at all). He deploys his “troops” and literally the very first thing they do is ignore him and the Queen he’d been “controlling” bites his head off. Lol owned

There’s another comic (Stronghold, mentioned above) that has a synthetic designed to look like an Alien that works in a controlled hive to let the facility research Aliens. One of its “gimmicks” that the head of the facility programmed into it is that it can smoke cigars as a way to amuse guests, though it finds the practice degrading - a major plot point of the series is that almost the entire facility is operated by synthetics except for the head dude, and he abuses the synthetics and treats them like trash. They finally get sick of his poo poo and stage a revolt.

There’s another comic with a synthetic Alien designed by a terminally-ill roboticist who deploys it into wild hives for research and to gather “royal jelly”, a recurring goop in the comics that kind of does whatever the plot needs it to do (sometimes it’s like a PCP-mega-steroid, sometimes it’s a painkiller, sometimes it mutates people like the Black Goo, sometimes people just get high with it).
The robo-Alien ends up trying to defend its creator against some hostile Aliens at one point I think, and I’m pretty sure it gets destroyed.

There’s a comic where a deranged scientist tries to breed a controllable “male” Queen (for lack of a better term), and the moment he sets it loose on its first trial run it goes berserk and tears through the facility, killing a ton of people and setting the previously-contained Alien hive loose until it gets to the hive’s Queen which kicks its rear end and kills it.

There was also the mini-comics for the Kenner toys that featured A.T.A.X., mechanical armor that disguised the wearer as an alien and allowed them to infiltrate the hives:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Oh I definitely am. I had these comics when I was like 6 or 7 lol. What comic issue is the summary I quoted though? I wonder if that's the one I'm thinking of, because I do remember the good guy xeno dying in the one I read.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

SUNKOS posted:

This isn't unheard of in the franchise and Ridley's last film very much played with the friendly alien idea, but now someone else is doing it apparently it's bad? I'll reserve judgment because it's something that could very easily be deeply unsettling if done correctly. I can't see it being worse than the chestburster scene in Covenant.

Also Xeno, I too would love to see Blomkamp adapt Labyrinth and I think the flashback sequence would easily become one of the most horrific parts of the franchise. One of Blomkamp's shorts under Oats Studios already created something very similar, so he could definitely pull it off. I'm pretty sure that I posted it earlier in the thread, where aliens took over Earth and built hives where they used humans as hosts and performed experiments on them. Fantastic for a low budget short, those hive megastructures looked incredible and that shot of the Eiffel Tower covered in corpses and mangled people screaming was :stare:

I'm not against the idea of humans interacting with the Aliens non-violently, I'm just afraid of them doing it in some lame manner like Jurassic World, where they just turned the raptor into a dog. Disney doesn't give me high hopes for doing something daring, based on all their output which tends to lean towards aggressively safe. Hell, the Disney Star Wars turned me into a prequel fan, because at least those movies, warts and all, were trying to do something different and weird.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

Oh I definitely am. I had these comics when I was like 6 or 7 lol. What comic issue is the summary I quoted though? I wonder if that's the one I'm thinking of, because I do remember the good guy xeno dying in the one I read.
That's "Aliens: Hive" (also reprinted as "Aliens: Harvest").

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=115021

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=568361

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=755901

The art style was really distinctive, if that helps.

Fun side trivia related to that comic, the roboticist is mentioned as having developed a robotic ant to infiltrate ant colonies for research purposes (which is where he got the idea make a robotic Alien to serve the same purpose), and it's mentioned that he wrote a children's book about the ant and its adventures.

So Dark Horse went ahead and printed the children's book:

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Cyberantics:_A_Little_Adventure

It's literally a children's book, with cartoony drawings and age-appropriate content and not a single Alien anywhere in sight, or really any reference to anything Alien franchise related that I can think of. The only thing that hints at it being anything special is that it's "annotated" with some things about the (fictitious) author, and the bibliography at the end of the book references materials with publishing dates in the future.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 21, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I've never heard of "The Hashtag Show" but this sounds dumb enough to be true. Hopefully not.

Having got their hands on the Alien franchise thanks to the Fox merger, Disney is wasting no time in relaunching the legendary sci-fi universe once again. The last movie in the series was 2017’s underwhelming Alien: Covenant, though, and it seems the studio is keen to distance themselves from that. In fact, according to the latest intel, Disney has gone so far as to reject creator Ridley Scott’s script for a reboot and is moving forward with a fresh one.

According to That Hashtag Show, who usually provide reliable info, the studio has hired unknown writers to come up with a different screenplay after they found Scott’s too “convoluted,” As such, the reboot will do away with Sigourney Weaver’s Ellen Ripley and any threads from the more recent Alien films. Instead, the new lead will be Fiona, described as a “Mary Elizabeth Winstead type,” the science officer on board a ship of colonists searching for a new homeworld.

Now, THS’ plot breakdown goes a lot deeper than that (spoilers incoming) and says that at least a couple of alien eggs will hatch on the ship and cause carnage. The twist is that Fiona is able to capture one of the Facehuggers and incubate it, growing it to adulthood in a tank. This results in a “good” Xenomorph, one that’s loyal to Fiona and the humans.]

The big showdown of the movie will allegedly pit the good Xenomorph against a bad one, thereby delivering some unique alien vs. alien action. The good one will sacrifice itself to take out the bad one and keep the crew safe, but the film will end with another egg revealed to be attached to the ship, leaving the audience to ponder whether this will be a good or bad alien.

Disney is said to be very keen on the simplicity of this plot, although THS notes that the breakdown is based on an early draft, so it could get more complex. If it does well, though, the studio hopes to release a new Alien flick every other year.

I am getting conflicting reports, but my insider at Disney says that the next project will be a pivot to television, in the style of the mandalorian. It will be an episodic show that follows a series of infestations across space. Every week, you can find the gang -- Ellen Ripley, Hicks, Newt, Bishop, Josie the talking cat, and MOTHER, the floating green man only Ellen can see -- as they try to solve these infestations in their mystery space truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

That's "Aliens: Hive" (also reprinted as "Aliens: Harvest").

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=115021

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=568361

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=755901

The art style was really distinctive, if that helps.

Haha, holy poo poo. Yup that's it. That's the one I'm remembering—pale green xeno with an organic pulse rifle weapon thing, lmao: