Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The puzzle game Superliminal is on Game Pass and while it has some fun ideas about playing with perception way too often the solution to the puzzle is finding the one thing in the room you can interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I didn't like the start of Act 3 in Far Cry 4. Creeping through tunnels unarmed and dodging invisible demons isn't particularly fun for me, it was just kind of dull and annoying. If I wanted to play Amnesia, I'd PLAY Amnesia, but I don't.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm liking a lot of Deathloop but man, it's just kicking my rear end. I just spent about 15 tries getting through a mission that rewarded me with a way to keep additional weapons between time loops, but it hardly seems worthwhile because I'm basically not doing anything but stealth melee kills. After the early loops, I feel like my rear end just instantly gets handed to me the instant I shoot a gun because I'm breaking stealth and everyone in the world goes on full alert. There's probably something I'm missing about the playstyle, but that's how it feels right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Deathloop needs a suspend mode. I’m fine with the no quicksave thing to encourage rolling with it but sometimes I have poo poo to do.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Deathloop needs a suspend mode. I’m fine with the no quicksave thing to encourage rolling with it but sometimes I have poo poo to do.

The offline mode suspends fine on PS5 (which I wasn't sure whether to expect), but I think it definitely needs a save mode to keep progress between booting up other games. A single paused point wouldn't wreck anything or allow for savescumming. Maybe we're talking about the same thing and it's just semantics.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm liking a lot of Deathloop but man, it's just kicking my rear end. I just spent about 15 tries getting through a mission that rewarded me with a way to keep additional weapons between time loops, but it hardly seems worthwhile because I'm basically not doing anything but stealth melee kills. After the early loops, I feel like my rear end just instantly gets handed to me the instant I shoot a gun because I'm breaking stealth and everyone in the world goes on full alert. There's probably something I'm missing about the playstyle, but that's how it feels right now.

The sound from guns travels a strangely short distance, so if you shoot enemies from long range, you tend to not alert the other enemies near them. There are also, crucially, guns that are silent.

Once you collect enough upgrades you get into a bit of an "I don't care if anyone hears me because I'm a god" phase anyway.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Triarii posted:

The sound from guns travels a strangely short distance, so if you shoot enemies from long range, you tend to not alert the other enemies near them. There are also, crucially, guns that are silent.

Once you collect enough upgrades you get into a bit of an "I don't care if anyone hears me because I'm a god" phase anyway.

Yeah, I need to look more into upgrades. I probably got into a loop (:dumbrim:) where guns didn't work a few times in a row and sent me in the wrong direction.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

The offline mode suspends fine on PS5 (which I wasn't sure whether to expect), but I think it definitely needs a save mode to keep progress between booting up other games. A single paused point wouldn't wreck anything or allow for savescumming. Maybe we're talking about the same thing and it's just semantics.

I’m playing on PC, so I don’t have a hardware suspend mode.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m playing on PC, so I don’t have a hardware suspend mode.

Gotcha, I thought for a long time that it was playstation exclusive and I keep forgetting there's a PC version.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The combat in Tales of Arise is so good and satisfying. You can string together pretty good combos and knock enemies on their asses enough that you can just press a button to get a short but flashy dual tech attack that instantly kills them.
Except the bosses, the bosses are dogshit terrible and don’t follow any of the rules for the combat system and they’re just damage sponges with five times the HP they should have. Doesn’t help that healing items are ridiculously expensive because Namco Bandai figured out they could sell money and healing items DLC for real money so you’re always running around grinding to get more stuff you can sell for cash.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I reinstalled Titanfall 2 based on recent discussion reminding me how good a bunch of the levels are and wow...I think I'd rather just know when the installation is actually done rather than waiting 20 minutes for an install timer to count down after the download completes and the game tells me I can play. I also kinda wonder if something is borked on the PS5 since I've been noticing even small downloads take a bunch longer to install than they do to download in the first place.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Hygiene posted:

Turrets can be commandeered from the start and are super powerful. When there are turrets to grab, I just grab a bunch, stack them up in choke points, and then if things go loud I can just lure everyone who means to hurt me into a death trap. It's pretty easy to clear Updaam and the Complex that way.

Like, if you go into the Library at the start of the game and can grab even one or two of the three turrets in there, they can clear almost any threat, even from their default positions.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Sep 19, 2021

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

John Murdoch posted:

I've gotten better at dealing with the archers, but I feel like to some degree it's been down to luck. I think a big problem is that armor is an overly binary mechanic. Clearly the game needs something to keep combat from being a mash-fest, but armor tends to bend the difficulty in really unfortunate ways sometimes, with armored archers being a good example. Doesn't help that there isn't a consistent anti-armor option, just a smattering of boons which often feel bad to take.

My new annoyance is how bad the final area can get. Even the small rats can sneak a cheap free hit in now and again and everything bigger is obnoxious for one reason or another.

Poison is the biggest problem in that last area - that and if you have the punishment pact thing that boosts trap damage. Some of those rooms have like 2 dozen axes that drop from the ceiling if you step on the wrong tile (or an enemy does) and it will insta-kill you.

I am up to 13 heat now and tried made my first 2 attempts at the final boss on "extreme measures" today. The first one I just lost in the 2nd phase because I wasn't dealing enough damage and he picked up a couple new tricks - like the spear aspect thing he uses where chucks his spear at you and teleports to it and the minibosses he summons mid-fight. Went back with a better build and narrowly won the 2nd phase on my last life... And said "oh no" when Hades said, "Nope - we're not done yet and all loving hell broke loose. The whole screen went dark, he summoned Cerberus and just curb stomped me. I wasn't mad - just laughed like a loon while he utterly took me apart.

Even funnier, when I set the heat back down for a different weapon run - Hades loving brings it up the next time he talks to you and goes, "Yeah bet you didn't like that very much huh? "
Genuinely lol'ed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Calaveron posted:

The combat in Tales of Arise is so good and satisfying. You can string together pretty good combos and knock enemies on their asses enough that you can just press a button to get a short but flashy dual tech attack that instantly kills them.
Except the bosses, the bosses are dogshit terrible and don’t follow any of the rules for the combat system and they’re just damage sponges with five times the HP they should have. Doesn’t help that healing items are ridiculously expensive because Namco Bandai figured out they could sell money and healing items DLC for real money so you’re always running around grinding to get more stuff you can sell for cash.

I have the dlc that gives 20% extra XP (my friend's copy, Id never pay a cent for that) and find that I'm keeping pace with enemies just barely, despite not skipping any fights and doing every subquest available, which means it was balanced with the bonus in mind, which loving sucks.

Edit: I'm playing on Moderate, which imparts an extra bonus, and have been the entire game, so you'd think that the bonus from that would help me keep pace but noooope.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Another minor gripe about Hades is that progressing the “side quests” is incredibly slow and frustrating. Half the time the characters you need to talk to are missing, or engaged in a conversation with another character - and then it’s like a 25% chance that you’ll talk to them about the subject you need to speak with them about.

I’m on 14 heat now, over 100 runs in. Main story is totally over and I’m still not done with Achilles or Sisyphus.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Another minor gripe about Hades is that progressing the “side quests” is incredibly slow and frustrating. Half the time the characters you need to talk to are missing, or engaged in a conversation with another character - and then it’s like a 25% chance that you’ll talk to them about the subject you need to speak with them about.

I’m on 14 heat now, over 100 runs in. Main story is totally over and I’m still not done with Achilles or Sisyphus.

I admit to being salty over finishing a run and Achilles wasn't around for me to tell him Patroclus finally brought him up by name and I was just bursting to say hi from his sad boyfriend. Of all the times to take a break.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finished Far Cry 4 but it's put me off the other games. Are the animals as bad in the other games as they were here, or are they less stupidly overpowered?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I've finished Far Cry 4 but it's put me off the other games. Are the animals as bad in the other games as they were here, or are they less stupidly overpowered?

IIRC FC4 was the animals at their worst and in most of the other ones they're not much of a hassle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
In five you can get high, run around at 40 mph, and punch bears to death with your bare hands. And it ends up not even being a fair fight.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One of the few things I liked about Far Cry 5 is that your two companions could be a dog, cougar and/or bear.

There was also a literal cougar :rimshot:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RoboRodent posted:

I admit to being salty over finishing a run and Achilles wasn't around for me to tell him Patroclus finally brought him up by name and I was just bursting to say hi from his sad boyfriend. Of all the times to take a break.

Ok the other hand, at one point Thanatos says something like, “You should really stop dicking around with other people’s relationships” (re: Orpheus and Eurydice) and Zagreus goes, “You know what? You’re right” and then the next time you talk to both of them he actually apologizes.

Nice bit of characterization. Makes those side quests feel more like actual stories than just checking a box.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Ok the other hand, at one point Thanatos says something like, “You should really stop dicking around with other people’s relationships” (re: Orpheus and Eurydice) and Zagreus goes, “You know what? You’re right” and then the next time you talk to both of them he actually apologizes.

Nice bit of characterization. Makes those side quests feel more like actual stories than just checking a box.

Oh, nice, haven't hit that yet.

I've just been choosing to believe that Zagreus is actually the god of getting back together with your ex, because this seems to be a thing he's thematically stuck on.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RoboRodent posted:

Oh, nice, haven't hit that yet.

I've just been choosing to believe that Zagreus is actually the god of getting back together with your ex, because this seems to be a thing he's thematically stuck on.

At some point Achilles dubs Zagreus the “God of Blood” in the codex and Zagreus is utterly confused and says “What? Why? I’m not the god of anything.”

I genuinely like him as a character. Amazing how fleshed out he feels given the type of game it is. He’s not perfect. He’s nosey, blunt and stubborn but he means well.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

At some point Achilles dubs Zagreus the “God of Blood” in the codex and Zagreus is utterly confused and says “What? Why? I’m not the god of anything.”

I genuinely like him as a character. Amazing how fleshed out he feels given the type of game it is. He’s not perfect. He’s nosey, blunt and stubborn but he means well.

Yeah, I definitely have unlocked that codex entry. I'm just saying I think he is also the god of getting back together with your ex. A god can be of more than one thing.

Zagreus is a great character. I'm cycling between three different games right now which I think helps the repetitiveness of Hades, but I do definitely have more story to get through.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I just don’t get tired of it for some reason. I love racing against myself. I just got an 18 minute clear time with a maxed chaos shield and a bunch of lightning special buffs. I was so crazy OP by the end I just went toe to toe with Hades and slugged it out (except for when he uses that doom laser thing). My previous best time was ~29 min.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been binging Sims 4 and something thats an issue with practically all of those games: Having an individual option to talk about a certain thing, and how it clutters the hell out of the selection menu. There is an option, sometimes multiple, to talk about something relating to the sim's skills or traits. I can brag about my handiness, give handiness tips and discuss handiness. And if you got multiple skills? Have fun digging through debating game strategy, logic puzzles, local fishing spots, fitness techniques just to find "get to know" so you can learn about the person you're talking with.

Throw that poo poo out and just have the chat option play out those topics. I wanna hug my friend but I have to wade through 5 pages of discussing how fun paint drying is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eastward definitely feels like it should have a dodge button because there's not a lot you can do to avoid damage from enemies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Zagreus is kind of an awful person who brings drama wherever he goes, and I refuse to romance anyone in that game because every single option deserves better.

Basically every single storyline stalled out for me, though, with no indication of why or how to get them moving. Orpheus and Eurydice keep talking about each other but never going beyond that, Achilles and Patroclus are still pretty frosty, and I don't even know if Sisyphus HAS a storyline.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

Zagreus is kind of an awful person who brings drama wherever he goes, and I refuse to romance anyone in that game because every single option deserves better.

Basically every single storyline stalled out for me, though, with no indication of why or how to get them moving. Orpheus and Eurydice keep talking about each other but never going beyond that, Achilles and Patroclus are still pretty frosty, and I don't even know if Sisyphus HAS a storyline.

Video game romances skeeve me out unless they are integral to the plot somehow. I did think it was funny that you can try to romance the severed head of Medusa though.

Anyway (spoilers for progressing side quests):

1) You won’t get the prophecy for Sisyphus’ quest until you talk to his loving boulder. No seriously, that’s how you progress it. You don’t have to give the boulder nectar. You should get the prophecy entry shortly after that.

2). For Orpheus and Eurydice you have to keep talking to both of them and Nyx. Maybe Thanatos too, I forget. Eventually nyx will tell you where Orpheus’ contract is.

3). Nyx also gives the location of Achilles contract but she won’t do it until Achilles asks you to. You have to talk to Patroclus a bunch - he’ll give you war stories and you need to report back to Achilles. The final trigger is Patroclus saying to tell Achilles to “risk it all” after which you talk to Achilles and then Nyx.

After that I don’t know what’s supposed to happen because he vanishes out of the main hall - presumably to go to Elysium but when I found Patroclus there, he was alone so who knows.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Sep 20, 2021

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Hygiene posted:

Returnal has the same problem

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Frank Frank posted:

Video game romances skeeve me out unless they are integral to the plot somehow. I did think it was funny that you can try to romance the severed head of Medusa though.

Anyway (spoilers for progressing side quests):

1) You won’t get the prophecy for Sisyphus’ quest until you talk to his loving boulder. No seriously, that’s how you progress it. You don’t have to give the boulder nectar. You should get the prophecy entry shortly after that.

2). For Orpheus and Eurydice you have to keep talking to both of them and Nyx. Maybe Thanatos too, I forget. Eventually nyx will tell you where Orpheus’ contract is.

3). Nyx also gives the location of Achilles contract but she won’t do it until Achilles asks you to. You have to talk to Patroclus a bunch - he’ll give you war stories and you need to report back to Achilles. The final trigger is Patroclus saying to tell Achilles to “risk it all” after which you talk to Achilles and then Nyx.

After that I don’t know what’s supposed to happen because he vanishes out of the main hall - presumably to go to Elysium but when I found Patroclus there, he was alone so who knows.

Well, outside of the Sisyphus one, no characters you mentioned are saying anything unique anymore, so I will assume they are broken.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

Well, outside of the Sisyphus one, no characters you mentioned are saying anything unique anymore, so I will assume they are broken.

Make sure you’re talking to Thanatos when he appears in the hall south of the administration chamber and not just during encounters.

I think Sisyphus also requires a very high relationship with Megara because part of it is getting the furies to leave him alone.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm starting a replay of Jedi Fallen Order and it just blows me away that any modern game has unskippable cutscenes, especially after two years of updates. Just trust your story to be interesting enough to watch the first time and stop loving me over on subsequent playthroughs, game devs :arghfist:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
But then how will they mask load times

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

But then how will they mask load times

More narrow corridors to squeeze through

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Jedi Fallen Order

Another complaint that's really standing out is the meditation point/checkpoint system. I know that's Dark Souls or whatever but I'm not playing that - how about just giving me a normal checkpoint system so I can just redo the thing that gave me trouble without having to do a whole sequence leading up to it for the millionth time :colbert:

e: this is a much bigger complaint than my first time around, coming right off of playing their other game Titanfall 2, which basically instantly gets you back into the game after you gently caress up, at the point you beefed it.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Sep 21, 2021

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fallen Order is one of a bunch of games that aped Dark Souls' bonfire system despite not knowing why it worked or how to make it fit their mechanics.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

More narrow corridors to squeeze through

I mostly play Nintendo stuff and indie games so I missed the entire AAA game scene until last year when I got a PS4 and a bunch of games. Playing FFVII Remake I genuinely thought "wow they're proud of this corridor-squeezing animation for some reason", and then I played Fallen Order, then some other stuff, and gradually realized what was happening.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm finally getting around to Nioh, but something a bit annoying is just how dark the opening areas are. I hope there are a few well lit areas to explore, even Dark Souls mostly took place in broad daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Tales of Arise being stingy with exp and money is definitely intended so they can sell dlc and it sucks.