Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I had 2 (now 4 on the way) of my favorite crankbait. I've changed one of them to single hooks and that's the one I usually use. Yesterday I had the stock treble one and when I caught the fish somehow the rear treble came up through its bottom lip, made it too scary to grab by the lip. In the 2 seconds while I tried to figure out what to do it thrashed, broke the line and took the lure with it. Killing, or possibly killing, a fish always feels lovely and after that I just packed up and called it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

ihop posted:

Killing, or possibly killing, a fish always feels lovely and after that I just packed up and called it a day.

I've quit a couple of times after something brutal happened too.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If you want to increase your chances of hooking yourself or your friends and family by a factor of 500, treble hooks are the way to go

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s very easy to just snip one treble hook off so it’s a double.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Trebles are the worst. They just have this magical tendency to gravitate right towards your fingers.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Caught a tiny sunfish and had a decent catfish on, but my knot failed. On the plus side, I lost flicker shad and spinning lures to the tune of $15 so I am reassured that I still know how to fish.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I went fishing yesterday and didn't catch a goddam nthing :toot:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ixo posted:

I went fishing yesterday and didn't catch a goddam nthing :toot:

It’s the dog days Of summer and the only things I can’t catch right now with any reliability are crappie on timber and catfish under bridges.

Days are cooling down very so slightly, the feeding frenzy of late sept are coming!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
My neighbor tied me a couple of flies. I have been going down to the colorado after work for a hour or two. I have been throwing small bait fish streamers on my 3 weight fiberglass rod. I basically catch small large mouth bass as long as I want to stand out there. I usually go to secret beach as its easy to get to the river and there are large grass beds right by the entrance. But sometimes I just go underneath the 183 bridge as its easy to get to.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ihop posted:

TIL that you CAN actually catch fish trolling a crankbait behind a canoe. Also learned that if I'm going to fish something with treble hooks I better have a net or some lip grips handy, and that I should pay more attention to the condition of the terminal end of my line.
Oh god. Pike on a treble hook are terrible. At the bear minimum you need a partner, a pair of pliers, a towel, bandages, and anti-septic.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just read this article about how bad the Columbia River steelhead run is this year and one guide deciding to cancel their entire season. It's quite good.

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/when-do-you-draw-line/7715339

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we have a pretty solid Sunday routine where I go out early to fish, then go pick up the wife and kids later for swimming and tubing. anyway today I pulled into a nice quiet little branch of the lake to let the kids swim and play in the mud and whatnot.

I was bored so I thought I'd toss in a line and see if I get a bluegill or something else tiny. I was using a tiny jig head with soft plastic in about 2 ft of 80° water with absolutely no cover or plants or anything anywhere nearby. lo and behold, I pulled in about a 2 lb largemouth. I was so surprised at first I was sure I'd caught a log or something because I assumed there was no way a fish like that should have been anywhere near where my line was.

long story short today I caught a bass in a way that went against absolutely everything I'd ever read or seen or been told about catching bass. in conclusion fish are weird.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m surf fishing for red fish piggies on Thursday for the first time in like 6 years and I’m insanely excited.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

I’m surf fishing for red fish piggies on Thursday for the first time in like 6 years and I’m insanely excited.

What beach? Water temps are still really high at my beach - Kure Beach, NC.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

What beach? Water temps are still really high at my beach - Kure Beach, NC.

I haven’t been to Kure since I was a kid. Loved it though.

Probably north end of Folly. Temps are still high but some poo poo has been popping around here. Took my daughter out for a beach day yesterday and there was a bit of action in the slough. Tomorrow is mostly just to get my feet wet again and drink a few beers on the beach though. And a good excuse to refresh my old saltwater tackle. I’m a historically lovely lovely surf fisherman (which is why my even limited bass success has been kinda surprising). Small croakers and baby sharks galore!

October though :unsmigghh:

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 15, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

I haven’t been to Kure since I was a kid. Loved it though.

Probably north end of Folly. Temps are still high but some poo poo has been popping around here. Took my daughter out for a beach day yesterday and there was a bit of action in the slough. Tomorrow is mostly just to get my feet wet again and drink a few beers on the beach though. And a good excuse to refresh my old saltwater tackle. I’m a historically lovely lovely surf fisherman (which is why my even limited bass success has been kinda surprising). Small croakers and baby sharks galore!

October though :unsmigghh:
I was cleaning up two weekends ago on Kure - 40+ whiting, 2 black drum (0.25" short of keepers), short flounder, croaker, some nice spots, pinfish, couple puffer, 2 nice blues.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

I was cleaning up two weekends ago on Kure - 40+ whiting, 2 black drum (0.25" short of keepers), short flounder, croaker, some nice spots, pinfish, couple puffer, 2 nice blues.

drat! That sounds like fun. I catch and release always, I just want to haul up like 25lb hog just once.

Back when I was surf fishing really regularly, I took a buddy of mine and his friend who'd never been fishing. I rigged him out with one of my older rods and reels, baited his hook, cast it. Like FOUR loving MINUTES later the rod is doubled over in the holder. He hauls in what would've been the biggest fish I've ever caught--probably by double. Just this absolute monster red.

I think all I caught that day was a little baby shark. :doh:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Heading up to Bishop/Mammoth on Friday to have some fun in the Owens River and surrounding tributaries, excited for fishing but also excited for jerky from Mahogany Smoked Meats :btroll:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I caught little weakfish in the first fifteen minutes at the beach, got a solid little burn, reminded myself that tying knots in 40lb mono sucks poo poo, and crushed several beers. Not a bad way to turn 38...maybe those surf reds will show up in the next few weeks, but we had a nice little dry run to get my feet wet again.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

So trip report from last week:

Joem83 and I headed out with his cousin and friend on an overnight. Reports had been pretty terrible, but we booked a while out to make scheduling work. Captain said he was taking a gamble and driving much further out because closer in wasn't being productive at all, so we'd cut down on fishing time but hopefully have a much better chance to get on some fish. So we drive out for 10 hours to Tanner Bank. Hell, we even left early (~8:30pm) and didn't get on a school until about 6am. That first spot was pretty alright. Slow, but fairly consistent hook ups, gettin fish in the boat. Light line, small hook flyline was all that was working. Handful of tuna in the 20-30 lb range, handful of decent sized yellowtail. About 9:30am, the captain decides to move even though we're low on time, we'd have to leave about 10:30am to get back to port when they needed to.

Hit the next spot, no boats, no birds, no dogs, just open water. Not even a minute after the first bait hits the water, gets slammed. Then another, and another. Lots of hook ups, bunch of fish gettin in the boat. I tossed a couple sardines, nothin. Toss a third one, made it's run and I thought it was done, so I was movin my hand to start reelin in, and it made another dash....cause a tuna was barrelin down it. Gets bit, and the fight is on. I had set up a baitcaster with 20 lb braid and 25 lb leader, and had it on my proteus, and that made the fight way harder. Didn't want to tighten the drag too much, so it was a lot of back and forth, it pullin out a some line and me reelin it back in, repeat. Took 20-30 minutes to get it in the boat, but with help from deckhands, got it in. 32 lbs bled.

It's actually kind of amazing I got it in the boat, because it tried it's damnedest to break the hook. This is how it came out of its mouth, not like the deckhand bending it.

After that, I figured we'd be done very soon, so I switched to using one of my HOMEBUILT RODS to do some slow pitch jigging cause I really wanted to use it, see if I could entice a tuna. Well, no tuna wanted to bite.....but rockfish did. I did not expect any rockfish to be there, much less really good sized ones. Ended up pulling in 5. The bottom one is the normal size of rockfish I'm used to pullin up closer inshore.

Few more action and results shots:

Joe's buddy got the one fish they hooked on the kite, 50 somethin lbs

Forgot to take a pic on the other side, but tuna wrap around the back to about the same spot on the other side

All in all, it was a good trip before that second spot. Even though I wasn't gettin bit, I was havin a good time. Then we hit that second spot and it turned into the best trip. I used both my homebuilt rods, they were great. Would recommend building your own.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice albacore! Haven’t seen a Boccaccio in maybe 10 years too. Looks like a big vermilion and a few canaries.
Looks like a great day.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Drove up to Bishop, CA on Friday planning to fish the newly opened waters, what fun! Arrived at my aunt and uncle's place, said hi, hugs, talked about our vaccine experiences, my aunt proceeds to tell us that two of her coworkers tested positive yesterday and she was with them all day! Couldn't be bothered to tell us before we left maybe, as she knew the day before.

Walked out and drove another 5 hours home. What a fun trip it was. Didn't even get to stop at Mahogany Smoked Meats or Schat's Bakery :(

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Crab Dad posted:

Nice albacore! Haven’t seen a Boccaccio in maybe 10 years too. Looks like a big vermilion and a few canaries.
Looks like a great day.

Bluefin, not albacore. You're right on the vermilion and Boccaccio, but the other three are all green spotted. I was seriously cackling when I pulled them up because I decided to just gently caress around and drop jigs cause I wanted to try the new rod doin what it's supposed to do. People were actually kinda jealous when they saw that giant vermillion.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

OniPanda posted:

Trip report.

Awesome!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Texas is dropp 30 degrees tomorrow and we are starting to see fall weather. Fishing is going to explode soon. Love this time of year.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Awesome trip report.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Help me pick out a graph. I've been entering the tournament scene the last couple of months and I would like a graph for my yak that will help me be a bit more competitive. I had just about settled on a Garmin striker with sidescan but then I noticed it does not have the Lakevue maps. Do those matter if you can do your own contour plotting? Should I be looking at other brands? Its just such a huge open category with everything from a couple hundred bucks to like 6 grand. Not sure what features are worth it and which arent

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The classics are the classics for a reason.....

In all honesty, I have no idea. But I wanted to post that.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

whoa I saw that exact one for sale the other day.

op, if money is no object then get livescope. it's the best out there

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Syano posted:

Help me pick out a graph. I've been entering the tournament scene the last couple of months and I would like a graph for my yak that will help me be a bit more competitive. I had just about settled on a Garmin striker with sidescan but then I noticed it does not have the Lakevue maps. Do those matter if you can do your own contour plotting? Should I be looking at other brands? Its just such a huge open category with everything from a couple hundred bucks to like 6 grand. Not sure what features are worth it and which arent

Garmin Striker Plus 4 Dual Beam is a great entry-level option. I do not believe that LakeVu maps matter if you do your own contour plotting. LakeVu maps alone also cost more than a Garmin Striker Plus 4 Dual Beam. It really depends on how much you want to spend and which features you absolutely cannot live without. You will pay for those features.

Dik Hz posted:

There are old timers out there who use these every day. IIRC flashers like these are great for ice fishing for reasons which I cannot fully explain.

Ghostnuke posted:

whoa I saw that exact one for sale the other day.

op, if money is no object then get livescope. it's the best out there

quote:

It really depends on how much you want to spend and which features you absolutely cannot live without. You will pay for those features.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Syano posted:

I've been going through this too. They do not make this easy. I ended up going with Humminbird, a Helix 7 G3N Mega SI on the console and a Helix 8 G3N Mega SI+ on the bow. I'd originally intended to network them, but the stupid network thing is like $300 and that seemed ludicrous to me. The main reason I chose Humminbird is 1) they're compatible with my trolling motor (Minn Kota Ultrex), and 2) they were marginally cheaper than the competing tiers of Garmin and Lowrance. I have no idea if one brand is any better than another at a given price point.

So far, they've been great. They're easy to use and were pretty easy to set up, though I hosed up the transom transducer mount the first time. The bow unit uses the transducer built into the trolling motor, which was a nice feature and saved a couple hundred bucks. The only reason I got the Helix 8 for the bow was I eventually want to splash the money for a Mega Live transducer. Probably.

I bought maps for my local lakes, and the depths/features/etc are incredibly accurate and very easy to load, though the maps themselves are irritatingly expensive (I think $20 per lake? something like that).

I use the regular sonar view 90% of the time, and hardly ever use side imaging. I might someday know what I'm doing enough to use it, but I'd email myself when I started and tell myself not to bother and just use regular and down imaging.

As far as what you really want from your graphs, it seems like you already know how hideously expensive more features can get. If you want multiple graphs networked and linked to a high end trolling motor, you're looking at probably $3k+, and more on top of that if you want live imaging. If you just want a couple of good workable graphs and no networking etc, it is a lot more reasonable.

Make SURE the model you want has the features you want. They make a million different variants and sub-variants and it can get very confusing. For me, the most important features are a high end sonar (duh), GPS, and quality contour mapping. The units I got do a pretty solid job of finding fish and structure, and they're pretty idiot-proof...though it definitely takes some time and experience to learn what is what on the display, and how it relates to the position of the boat.

edit - lol I didn't even notice this was for a kayak. So you probably won't need more than one graph....

Dik Hz posted:

I took one of these off the bow of my boat when I bought it. Was disappointed it did not appear to be working.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 21, 2021

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Had a good day on the Colorado throwing poppers with fiberglass 3wt. I caught several decent sized bluegill which is weird since I rarely catch them out there. All of the big stuff I was catching on a popper which is also weird since normally don't catch anything on a popper out there.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Valt posted:

Had a good day on the Colorado throwing poppers with fiberglass 3wt. I caught several decent sized bluegill which is weird since I rarely catch them out there. All of the big stuff I was catching on a popper which is also weird since normally don't catch anything on a popper out there.

Not sure about your seasons but in the southeast we're just this week getting into the fall transition which is a great time to be fishing a popper, spook, or some other kind of topwater walking bait. Nice fish btw!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

OniPanda posted:

Bluefin, not albacore. You're right on the vermilion and Boccaccio, but the other three are all green spotted. I was seriously cackling when I pulled them up because I decided to just gently caress around and drop jigs cause I wanted to try the new rod doin what it's supposed to do. People were actually kinda jealous when they saw that giant vermillion.

Juvenile bluefins is sad. I’m not sure I can support a fishery targeting such future monsters. Unless that’s some regional name for bigeye or whatever.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Juvenile bluefins is sad. I’m not sure I can support a fishery targeting such future monsters. Unless that’s some regional name for bigeye or whatever.

We get bigeye here too, but in this case we were catching all bluefin. If it makes you feel any better the limit is 2.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

We get bigeye here too, but in this case we were catching all bluefin. If it makes you feel any better the limit is 2.

It doesn’t really. Their biomass is like 3% of historic high and 90% caught are juveniles not old enough to breed.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

It doesn’t really. Their biomass is like 3% of historic high and 90% caught are juveniles not old enough to breed.

I think it would be cool if they did a tag system like they do with deer. People like Oni and I aren't the problem, I kill 2-10 tuna a year but there are guys out there that are constantly killing cow sized bluefin.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Yeah, I know their overall stocks are way down due to heavy fishing, so not great to fish them a bunch. We were hoping for yellowfin, and hell I was hoping for mahi, but :shrug:.

I agree with Joe that the regulations need an update. Mostly commercial, but also I do think there should be a yearly limit for recreational, and for more than just bluefin.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

OniPanda posted:

Yeah, I know their overall stocks are way down due to heavy fishing, so not great to fish them a bunch. We were hoping for yellowfin, and hell I was hoping for mahi, but :shrug:.

I agree with Joe that the regulations need an update. Mostly commercial, but also I do think there should be a yearly limit for recreational, and for more than just bluefin.

The state should raise the ocean fishing license fee by a hefty percentage and buy out shutdown the commercial fishery that targets fish recreational fishermen pursue then increase ocean limits. It's not that many jobs you'd lose overall all and stripping natural resources for profit is a lovely business model. Commercial fish farming isnt great either for the pollution effect but on average all commercial fishermen have proved themselves to be pretty lovely stewards.

wah wah wah poor people already cant afford to buy fresh fish caught on our coast. you aint buying fresh salmon or crabs on min wage.
give state grants to switch boats out to a charter fleet

impound any foreign commercial vessels and turn them into reefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Sorry if these are dumb questions, but i read alot of conflicting information online and wanted to check in with a crowd I trust. So, as a newbie who will be bank fishing primarily for small channel catfish (that's all they are stocking near me atm) how important is time of day? Do catfish really mostly bite at night? Also, with catfish i should be letting the bait sit for a while to give them time to smell it out correct? Like 15 to 30 minutes-ish?