Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Normally hate when people do this,

Well I think it's cool. :v:

Thanks for the feedback y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

how does the original colour photo look if you take the exposure down a bit?
it seems overly bright and with the haze even more so. i wonder if underexposing it would look good

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If people want to try a zillion different approaches I'll just post the raw in that dead processing contest thread and let people have fun.

I have been convinced it's better as color though, haven't done the work on it yet but next time I open LR I'm gonna try it.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Ooh, that's pretty.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Nice ones lately. I'm enjoying the layering, especially in the first.

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006
So I haven't posted in years, but I recently found this thread again and wanted to participate.
Feel free to roast my heavy handed editing and repetitive simplistic rule of threes compositions.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I feel like Brutalism has finally found its time.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The first and the parked car are my favorite due to them being placed in a context. Nice.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

I feel like Brutalism has finally found its time.

I feel like it's babby's first architectural preference because it's the most striking and obvious theme you could pick in architecture, the more nuanced stuff kinda doesn't get the same appreciation a lot of the time because it's not as bold in it's statements. I like it too but I think it's one of few styles of architecture that constantly is having new people discover strong feelings about it outside of the profession.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Hard light, boring cars (not fetishized old clunkers on film) and national brand signs. True banality.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Schiermonnikoog by roland luijken, on Flickr

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Hard light, boring cars (not fetishized old clunkers on film) and national brand signs. True banality.

I can't tell of this is criticism or praise?? Anyway I dig real nap poo poo's stuff. Although I didn't get it at first I must admit.

I see their work as a really cool documentation of the banal. It's precisely because no one really notices or looks at this bland stuff that to see it photographed and presented as art really works for me. Once all this turns to rubble there will be a million pictures of the Sydney Opera House but few people are documenting strip malls. Maybe as a brit there's a bit of fetishising the open-space modern americana of it all.

I do prefer the more empty scenes without cars though I must say. Although given that cars are stationary 99% of the time I suppose there as much a part of the landscape as the buildings.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I can't tell of this is criticism or praise?? Anyway I dig real nap poo poo's stuff. Although I didn't get it at first I must admit.

I see their work as a really cool documentation of the banal. It's precisely because no one really notices or looks at this bland stuff that to see it photographed and presented as art really works for me. Once all this turns to rubble there will be a million pictures of the Sydney Opera House but few people are documenting strip malls. Maybe as a brit there's a bit of fetishising the open-space modern americana of it all.

I do prefer the more empty scenes without cars though I must say. Although given that cars are stationary 99% of the time I suppose there as much a part of the landscape as the buildings.

I still don't get it. It looks like lazy photography to me barely any effort done on composition and light. I try, because some of you guys seems to like it, but I'm just not seeing it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can appreciate and see the craft of it, there's absolutely value in recording the mundane world around us. I just don't like looking at it. :v:

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

those look like google street view screencaps with the browser window cropped out.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This isn't my favourite real nap set but I always appreciate bringing an artistic eye to the quotidian. This is a well considered photo, the colours, the framing. It's put together nicely, and is pleasing to look at but more than any particular message it's just an invitation to see how the photographer sees his environment.

It's not capturing obvious present beauty, but finding it where one does expect.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

those look like google street view screencaps with the browser window cropped out.

i'm not going to say what your photos look like

edit: by the way, come after me if you want, that's all well and good, but I will say that I think about composition and light/shadow extensively

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 19, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

real nap poo poo posted:

i'm not going to say what your photos look like

edit: by the way, come after me if you want, that's all well and good, but I will say that I think about composition and light/shadow extensively

e- sorry, there are nicer ways to have put that. The second photo doesn't look like anything is in focus. It looks exactly like what happens when you zoom in on a street view photo, especially an older one, like c2016.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 19, 2021

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

it wasn't that it wasn't nice it just didn't really make any sense. yes, i selected that image despite only the foliage being in focus.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

real nap poo poo posted:

it wasn't that it wasn't nice it just didn't really make any sense. yes, i selected that image despite only the foliage being in focus.

maybe the photo is just being destroyed by imgur jpeg compression? From 6' even the folieage just looks out of focus, but getting really close, it's all jaggies and blocks so I can't really tell. The heavily compressed look is probably part of why I think it looks like google street view.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

growth by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

EDIT: uhhh right parking lots

lot by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

tompepper fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 19, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Both of those are nice

Experimenting with new developers.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I love this. That tiny keyhole glimpse of something green and organic through the wall of rigid uniformity. The square crop works really well.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I appreciate it. No doubt the banal/quotidian/parking lot/ genre has outsized representation ITT, but for the most part the presentation is a little twee: soft light, pastel palettes evoking color negative film, and yeah no cars and very selective inclusion of signs. That’s what I tend to go for myself, too.

But the set in that post has a more documentarian quality and feels comparatively uncontrived. It looks more common, more really banal. It’s not as aesthetically pleasing to me, but it’s visually rich.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

i like real nap poo poo's stuff. like smersh said, it swims in the same waters as the other 'parking lot' photos, but goes against the grain with strong colors/contrast and generally being more 'lived in' spaces (there is even a person in the jetstream photo).

i love a good vine photo

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

is the boat the art or does the boat contain art?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

eggsovereasy posted:

is the boat the art or does the boat contain art?

The boat was art, but also a boat. It was a nice afternoon floating down the river.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Megabound posted:

The boat was art, but also a boat. It was a nice afternoon floating down the river.

yeah that sound fun

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I still don't get it. It looks like lazy photography to me barely any effort done on composition and light. I try, because some of you guys seems to like it, but I'm just not seeing it.

i’d be interested in you posting some examples (not of your own images, of course) of what sort of photographs really excite you

SMERSH Mouth posted:

i like this. i think there’s an obvious nostalgia for old cars that wasn’t present in the images that people now view as nostalgic and emulate (shore/eggleston/etc), and the way to embrace that original perspective is to just look at what’s the commercial language of now

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Fuckin' ace, dude.