Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mameluke posted:

If I were, the most intelligent species in my ecosystem, I would simply not exceed its carrying capacity

coming down out of the trees was, in fact, a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

My grandfather was born in Oct. 1918, and he died in 2008 in early summer. If you're a having a baby at this point in time, like my best friend is doing at the moment, their natural life span can take them into the next century and through whatever date you want to kick the can at.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bathtub Cheese posted:

I'm petty enough to play the blame game for the infinitesimal chance that it does get contextualized. Plus it's funny.

skooma512 posted:

My grandfather was born in Oct. 1918, and he died in 2008 in early summer. If you're a having a baby at this point in time, like my best friend is doing at the moment, their natural life span can take them into the next century and through whatever date you want to kick the can at.

i believe in working towards a future where my kids know exactly which statues to piss on while ekeing out a meagre existence in the blighted wastelands

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/D1C0MM/status/1440005641855123457?s=19

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
i mean if we're going all in on humans inevitably embracing hatred and selfishness, thus dooming their entire species and likely most life on earth, then their hatred should at least be on target to the extent possible!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
counterpoint is that acceptance and calm will be necessary better for you because the hatred will have no tangible effect on anything but your own physical and mental well being (especially if and when things like blood pressure meds become scarce) and you will never personally have an opportunity to visit that rage on the people who deserve it, since they'll have migrated to the billionaire bunker on top of everest or mars or wherever

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

i should check if gone with the blastwave has updated in the past decade

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

"Paul Kalanithi posted:

I began to realize that coming in such close contact with my own mortality had changed both nothing and everything. Before my cancer was diagnosed, I knew that someday I would die, but I didn’t know when. After the diagnosis, I knew that someday I would die, but I didn’t know when. But now I knew it acutely. The problem wasn’t really a scientific one. The fact of death is unsettling. Yet there is no other way to live.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

coming down out of the trees was, in fact, a mistake

Even the trees were a bad idea, we never should have left the seas

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Mayor Dave posted:

Even the trees were a bad idea, we never should have left the seas

Send me back to the hydrothermal vents

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

god that book was the loving worst egotistical and pretentious bullshit i've ever read

i was tricked into reading it a while back but it turns out the only reason it's popular is because he was a privileged rear end in a top hat who got to die a comfortable premature death

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Someone please post the study from a mainstream economist saying there'll be an 80% reduction in agricultural output by 2060, which will have no economic impact on other sectors.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Raine posted:

god that book was the loving worst egotistical and pretentious bullshit i've ever read

i was tricked into reading it a while back but it turns out the only reason it's popular is because he was a privileged rear end in a top hat who got to die a comfortable premature death

It really is awful, but there's a few good quotes among all the parts where the author tells you how brilliant he is.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

bowser posted:

It really is awful, but there's a few good quotes among all the parts where the author tells you how brilliant he is.

look, normally a neurosurgeon gets decades to tell everyone how smart they are. he had to compress all of that down into a few years and a single book, what a disappointment for him it mustve been

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Chamale posted:

Someone please post the study from a mainstream economist saying there'll be an 80% reduction in agricultural output by 2060, which will have no economic impact on other sectors.

Here's a good place to start.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

it's now spring in australia, a time where all the wild flowers are blooming and insects are pumping away on these flowers. but, where i am, they're not. i was camping on one of islands off the coast last week (stradbroke island) and driving across the island i had no bug splatter on my car - at all. my windscreen was pristine, my bumper was pristine. this is very concerning, espeically for an island that's protected from the over-development and land clearing of the mainland

lmao (lol)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

toggle posted:

lmao (lol)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIlhagMm3RY

dear future human historians reading something awful, of all things, if it's possible: lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

toggle posted:

it's now spring in australia, a time where all the wild flowers are blooming and insects are pumping away on these flowers. but, where i am, they're not. i was camping on one of islands off the coast last week (stradbroke island) and driving across the island i had no bug splatter on my car - at all. my windscreen was pristine, my bumper was pristine. this is very concerning, espeically for an island that's protected from the over-development and land clearing of the mainland

lmao (lol)

don't worry capitalism has already solved this

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

toggle posted:

lmao (lol)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how novel

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Goddamn it don't make black mirror into more of a documentary

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

:cripes:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

toggle posted:

lmao (lol)

i used to have to drive into rural new south wales every so often for work and it'd usually be at night so there'd be bugs everywhere and my car would be an absolute mess. this is just like five or six years ago. i've just realized that when i was doing it a year ago at the same time of year, same hours, my car was basically pristine.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The best part is we don't know what's causing it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah we totally don't know

No idea

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

robot bees (now referred to as bees) will hunt down and exterminate biological bees (biobees, for short) and increase efficiency in their range while gathering big data used by ai neural networks to further improve bee design at the bee factory. in due time biobees will be completely replaced and passed down to history as dumb, inefficient, sticky honey commies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Conspiratiorist posted:

The best part is we don't know what's causing it.

actually we do, we just dont care

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
will the robo bees be vulnerable to a chip shortage caused by continuing degradation of international production and trade capabilities?

I'm guessing... lmao

e:can we make robo bees that build the chips?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEZ7rHRifVc

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Slavvy posted:

Yeah we totally don't know

No idea

Xaris posted:

actually we do, we just dont care

We know it's a consequence of human activity, but just like with the thiamine deficiency across the trophic chain, we have no idea by what mechanisms is it that insect biomass is collapsing, because it's exceeding what would be expected from shifting temperature bands or ecosystem loss due to land-use changes.

We could cease all carbon emissions tomorrow and poo poo would still keep dying because we aren't even sure what is it we're doing that's killing the planet.

On that note, our future biodiversity loss estimates are invariably hosed because we just don't know what the gently caress we're doing that's so deadly to the biosphere.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Now I'm imagining having to disassemble and recycle dead robobees all the time. Or if you step on one *crunch* there goes :10bux:

E; the insects, recognizing the failure of the incredibly rare-in-the-universe sapient mammals to accept communism and join the galactic hive mind, have elected to return to their home planets. The true cause of the population decline was the fall of the USSR

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Sep 21, 2021

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Can't wait for these to get eaten by the remaining birds and frogs in massive numbers.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Conspiratiorist posted:

We know it's a consequence of human activity, but just like with the thiamine deficiency across the trophic chain, we have no idea by what mechanisms is it that insect biomass is collapsing, because it's exceeding what would be expected from shifting temperature bands or ecosystem loss due to land-use changes.

We could cease all carbon emissions tomorrow and poo poo would still keep dying because we aren't even sure what is it we're doing that's killing the planet.

On that note, our future biodiversity loss estimates are invariably hosed because we just don't know what the gently caress we're doing that's so deadly to the biosphere.

Dumping Terratonnes of insecticide and herbicide into the environment for the better part of a century, in addition to a myriad of poorly-disposed industrial contaminants which have the same effect on these creatures, at exponentially increasing rates, had a pretty obvious end state for anyone with half a brain.

Rime has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Sep 21, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Conspiratiorist posted:

so what you are saying is that the world's largest carbon capture plant opening in iceland and not even being able to make itself carbon neutral means the problem is solved

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

FunkyFjord posted:

Can't wait for these to get eaten by the remaining birds and frogs in massive numbers.

lol if that's how the last of the birds and frogs die

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Someone remake the dome video but only 5 minutes so it can actually hold my attention

nothing you do matters because *long audio pause and image of sun bleached skeleton appears*

fwiw its not a very good video, it badly needs editing and/or a script. its not really anything new if you read this thread anyways.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
i remember reading that spraying neonicotinoids everywhere alone did a big time bee genocide

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mameluke posted:

Hunting may be hampered by that whole "4% of mammal biomass is wild" stat but gathering is back on bay-bee

If all of the other animals in the area died I'd be very leery of eating or drinking anything there, but by all means try your luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

RockyB posted:

Congratulations on your discovery of absurdist philosophy.

Lol. Lmao.

:hai:

I need to rematch the seventh seal, it’s so drat good