Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

It sounds like you fit right in with the draft crowd, to be honest.

How do people feel about a Z2 superdraft instead of V?

I would definitely be down for that. I did one of those years ago and it was a lot of fun. I'll probably play super slowly and inevitably peter out halfway through Z2.2 but that's just how drafts go sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

WrightOfWay posted:

I would definitely be down for that. I did one of those years ago and it was a lot of fun. I'll probably play super slowly and inevitably peter out halfway through Z2.2 but that's just how drafts go sometimes.

I thought I recognized the name from somewhere else.

edit: Draft is now up. Join us on our magical adventure.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979815

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 19, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I had fun playing Super Robot Wars V as a complete newbie to the series because it had some Mechs and characters I remember from Toonami in it, and picked up X because of the same thing, but it looks like it's going to have the same over-arching Plot?

Embryo showed up cackling about big plans and so far it seems like the only real difference is a slightly different cast of characters and different main character options? I mean, I haven't gotten completely bored yet because everyone just started making GBS threads their pants because Char Aznable showed up as a bad guy to fight, but it seems like really well-worn territory from the previous game.

Can anybody recommend another one that's in English and has it's own storyline to mix up the motivations for the fights?

EDIT: Went back to the OP and apparently I need to find one of the Original Generations games and start from there?

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 20, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
There’s usually a decent level of plot overlap and use of major or semi-major series between the games with existing franchises, yes. X is a far funner CA than V though imo because Embryo and Ange’s lovely family repeatedly get owned like the nimrods they are through the story.

But yes, if you want a completely new story (beyond following some general themes from the stories it’s aping) then start with the recent fan patch of Original Generations on the PS2 and go from there.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
As I understand it the original setting in X is Wataru, Cross Ange and Gurren Lagaan, so yeah you're gonna see a lot of Embryo (and him being the kind of villain he is also sort of forces him into some importance). T doesn't have a specific core series if that sounds more up your alley.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
X doesn't do that much crazy with Cross Ange (at least more than what V did), the big difference is the tone from playing off Wataru. And CCA is an SRW mainstay now, you come more for what twist they're putting on it (is Char faking it or not? Who's he working with? Who else is at the drop?) than seeing it go completely off the rails. Usually just a couple of series per game go totally AU and the entire plot is structured around them doing so.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Cross Ange is okish in X because none of those characters can be huge assholes around Wataru so it makes them more tolerable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You also skip over most of the parts of Cross Ange where the protagonists are at their worst in X since you start out about a third through the plot and you don't use their base as a hub so you don't get some of the shittier backbiting stuff adapted.

Also Tusk has substantially reduced screen time and you don't get the multiple 'whoops tripped and fell into you while you were naked' scenes that V faithfully reproduces

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Am I loving up in X by basically never fielding Wataru or anybody else from his initial appearance in X as long as other characters/mechs are available?

I'm still early in the game and chose to stay on the Ground party instead of going to space, is why I'm asking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Am I loving up in X by basically never fielding Wataru or anybody else from his initial appearance in X as long as other characters/mechs are available?

I'm still early in the game and chose to stay on the Ground party instead of going to space, is why I'm asking.

No. Wataru is a good unit but you'll survive without him if you don't want to. SRW is *very* generous about leveling and if you have a low-level unit get the kill (especially with an experience booster) they will gain shittons of levels so if you ever need to level him later just let him kill a few things.

The only units you suffer for not using at the Mazingers because they are tied to getting the bonus ending path.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

The beauty of SRW games is that you can just pick a tiny handful of units to play favorites with and dump all your resources into, and the game won't punish you for it at all (unless you go out of your way to pick path splits those units aren't on). In fact, you're actively rewarded for playing favorites instead of trying to spread resources around across your whole team.

Bench to your heart's content when you're not interested in using someone. If a stage puts unused units in as forced launches, the game is designed to catch their levels up to "average" real quick with a few kills.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

In the absolute worst case scenario where a unit is force deployed alone while so underleveled that they can't handle the enemies at all, an event will usually fire where you get the rest of your team on the field either when said unit hits low enough HP or when a couple of turns pass, so you can just die/run away and won't end up in an unwinnable situation. Use the characters you like.

That said, you are a monster if you dislike Wataru.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Wataru is a nice kid but his robot is more deformed than an SD gundam

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Siegkrow posted:

Wataru is a nice kid but his robot is more deformed than an SD gundam

Most of the mecha isekai shows from the 80's and 90's had designs like that, such as Granzort, Lamunes and Ryu Knight

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

I never bothered fielding Wataru in X and did fine op.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

WTF Wataru is a good boy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wataru is a good boy but should be kept far away from bad influences like Cross Ange and Lelouch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Wataru kind of sucks for most of the early game until you put some money into him and/or he gets some upgrades, so you can definitely get by perfectly fine without him if he's not your jam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
But then you miss out on his theme song and animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbJnb4C4PNE

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I love Step and it's a great song but I actually hate the SRW X rendition of it. The lovely synth flute does nothing for me at all.

Thankfully we live in the era of custom BGMs so I was able to slap in the original. It's also a hugely popular song so there's tons of covers and arrangements available too.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 21, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

In the absolute worst case scenario where a unit is force deployed alone while so underleveled that they can't handle the enemies at all, an event will usually fire where you get the rest of your team on the field either when said unit hits low enough HP or when a couple of turns pass, so you can just die/run away and won't end up in an unwinnable situation. Use the characters you like.

That said, you are a monster if you dislike Wataru.

Art thou not sorry for these heinous deeds?

Ay, that I had not done a thousand more. Even now I curse the day--and yet, I think, Few come within the compass of my curse,-- Wherein I did not some notorious ill, As kill a man, or else devise his death, Ravish a maid, or plot the way to do it, Accuse some innocent and forswear myself, Set deadly enmity between two friends, Make poor men's cattle break their necks; Set fire on barns and hay-stacks in the night, And bid the owners quench them with their tears.

Oft have I digg'd up dead men from their graves, And set them upright at their dear friends' doors,
Even when their sorrows almost were forgot; And on their skins, as on the bark of trees, Have with my knife carved in Roman letters, 'Let not your sorrow die, though I am dead.' Tut, I have done a thousand dreadful things As willingly as one would kill a fly, And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
But that I cannot do ten thousand more.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

chiasaur11 posted:

Art thou not sorry for these heinous deeds?

Ay, that I had not done a thousand more. Even now I curse the day--and yet, I think, Few come within the compass of my curse,-- Wherein I did not some notorious ill, As kill a man, or else devise his death, Ravish a maid, or plot the way to do it, Accuse some innocent and forswear myself, Set deadly enmity between two friends, Make poor men's cattle break their necks; Set fire on barns and hay-stacks in the night, And bid the owners quench them with their tears.

Oft have I digg'd up dead men from their graves, And set them upright at their dear friends' doors,
Even when their sorrows almost were forgot; And on their skins, as on the bark of trees, Have with my knife carved in Roman letters, 'Let not your sorrow die, though I am dead.' Tut, I have done a thousand dreadful things As willingly as one would kill a fly, And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
But that I cannot do ten thousand more.

same

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Policenaut posted:

WTF Wataru is a good boy

He's a good boy but his unit isn't anything special.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Ange is also portrayed much better in X. In V pretty much no one could get a handle of her (lol athrun), in X she spends enough time away from Arzenal with Vivian (who's probably the only one she could get alone with initially) to slightly calm down and then Lelouch enters and turns out they both play of each other very well.

V
Edit: Instead of better i'm going to say milder, sorry.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 21, 2021

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Did people really not like Ange in V? Her arguing with the SEED boys about whether their world can be called peaceful was one of my favorite dialogue scenes from that game

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
This is the only thing I know about Cross Ange.

If this is wrong, don't tell me.

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 21, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
All I can remember from V is that the first couple stages with the Cross Ange cast are awful because their units are awful before getting sufficient upgrades and they force you to use them before you can do that(made even worse by the fact that they are stereotypical Real Robot units in most regards while the Dragon enemies are built like Super Robot enemies) and that one scene where Shinn calls the Cross Ange cast a bunch of terrible women

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

drrockso20 posted:

All I can remember from V is that the first couple stages with the Cross Ange cast are awful because their units are awful before getting sufficient upgrades and they force you to use them before you can do that(made even worse by the fact that they are stereotypical Real Robot units in most regards while the Dragon enemies are built like Super Robot enemies) and that one scene where Shinn calls the Cross Ange cast a bunch of terrible women

How could you forget that one chick from 00 getting so pissed off at the Cross Ange crew sniping at each other that she buys their squadron just to force them to cooperate more.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

How could you forget that one chick from 00 getting so pissed off at the Cross Ange crew sniping at each other that she buys their squadron just to force them to cooperate more.

I'm just imagining the chaos of having Cross Ange and Iron Blooded Orphans in the same game.

An all girls group of horny teen mercenaries in the same ship as a horny all guys group of teen mercenaries is basically guaranteed bad decision central.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Prism posted:

This is the only thing I know about Cross Ange.

If this is wrong, don't tell me.

no thats the actual dialogue in that scene. there's also a scene where embryo has two women dressed in sexy maid outfits feed him pancakes and then he, apropos of nothing, says 'im an ally of women' directly to the camera. cross ange kinda owns.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I came away from V - especially after replaying and seeing all the Cross Ange routes - sold on Cross Ange being in any future SRW game on the strength of its cast. Ange is angry and confrontational at her core no matter how heroic she gets, and that brings a fresh flavour to a lot of scenes you don't get from many main characters in SRW - Ryouma's the one who comes to mind, but being part of the Getter Team makes him very different in feel. The supporting cast complements that well, and the way they fall into overlapping groups gives a lot of flexibility for fitting them into SRW cutscenes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BisbyWorl posted:

Don't think I got that far, my V run petered out around the point you jump over to the UC universe for the first time

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
No joke the star of V is Ange, she's just so angry and confrontational, and it all builds up towards a goddamn amazing finale in which the second most horrible villain in V looks at Embyro and goes "holy poo poo is this how I've been acting?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cross Ange is genuinely one of the best series in V. Who can forget Ange talking to Hilda about how everyone is fighting for gay rights?

Thank you Cross Ange.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

ImpAtom posted:

Wataru is a good boy but should be kept far away from bad influences like Cross Ange and Lelouch.

They're not bad influences on him, because his innate goodness will cause any attempt to corrupt him to fail. Instead, he is a good influence on them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Eeepies posted:

No joke the star of V is Ange, she's just so angry and confrontational, and it all builds up towards a goddamn amazing finale in which the second most horrible villain in V looks at Embyro and goes "holy poo poo is this how I've been acting?"

Yeah, when I played V, Ange was the character I dumped most of the resources I got into after the main character because the Vilkiss just curb-stomped everything the main character mech couldn't move over to and kill each turn (also the story bits where it kept unlocking more ridiculous attacks and upgrades right alongside the main character were neat).

I'm kind of doing the same thing in X, but the Xelguard is kinda boring so far compared to the mech from V (that I can't remember the name of because it's been years since I played V).

Also Wataru is constantly piping up during battles and cutscenes even though I don't field him, so I don't think I'm missing anything there. I haven't run across any Getter Robo characters yet in X, but it's still early in the game I think (or I may be about to meet them since I chose the Ground mission path?).

Is the Gratan tank thing ever useful or is it a joke unit?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Xelguard is actually one of my favorite originals because I always love it when they break out of the "safe" military-looking-real-robot mold that is kind of their go to and some of its additional attacks are amazing.

It's also a really cool support unit in a way that isn't just "can repair/resupply" with its super powerful spells.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Yes, Wataru owns and is the Best Hero :colbert:

Kanos posted:

The Xelguard is actually one of my favorite originals because I always love it when they break out of the "safe" military-looking-real-robot mold that is kind of their go to and some of its additional attacks are amazing.

It's also a really cool support unit in a way that isn't just "can repair/resupply" with its super powerful spells.

I really like it, but iirc it was done by the Linebarrel person so me liking it is a given. I love those fuckin' machina man, please put Linebarrel in a mainline game bamco. Also Amari's themes kick rear end.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, when I played V, Ange was the character I dumped most of the resources I got into after the main character because the Vilkiss just curb-stomped everything the main character mech couldn't move over to and kill each turn (also the story bits where it kept unlocking more ridiculous attacks and upgrades right alongside the main character were neat).

I'm kind of doing the same thing in X, but the Xelguard is kinda boring so far compared to the mech from V (that I can't remember the name of because it's been years since I played V).

Also Wataru is constantly piping up during battles and cutscenes even though I don't field him, so I don't think I'm missing anything there. I haven't run across any Getter Robo characters yet in X, but it's still early in the game I think (or I may be about to meet them since I chose the Ground mission path?).

Is the Gratan tank thing ever useful or is it a joke unit?

Getter isn't in X, which is a pretty rare occurrence in SRW.

Gratan is a support unit that doesn't have much in the way of support spirits so it's not great. It's also a goofy looking tank with a fun crew so it does have that going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
If you get the Extra Arms+ and give it to Grattan it can hit pretty hard.