Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t think it made much of an impact. Get it if you can. No reason you can’t play Duke in normal campaigns.

Trying out Lily and Norman, his new signature card is better than split the angle but definitely not a must-play. Hand slots are contested in seeker, and the card that gives you more tome slots takes up your spell slots.

Having a 32 card deck with your signature always out is fun. Having two dogs as back up movement and damage is super useful. Sledgehammer and the dogs can kill whatever boss you might be facing.

It’s weird running mystic as a beginning class because there are so few assets compared to my normal guardian builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
What is everyone's opinion about adding side missions to campaigns? We used to do it all the time but noticed the extra xp and story assets would often trivialize the second half of campaigns. Do you only go on one or two side missions, avoid certain ones with broken items (blob, werewolf with calvin), or just do whatever?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

1 is plenty in an 8 part campaign.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Jarvisi posted:

I somehow managed to find a local game store that has barkham horror at MSRP. Are there any plans to reprint it ever. I am absurdly hyped to play this stupid module

Great find! No plans to reprint.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
We finished our first campaign, one of us got devoured by Yog-Sothoth while running to the exit and one of us made it home but went blitheringly insane from the post-campaign mental trauma and failing to look for Izzie in assorted places. A photo Lovecraft finish!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

EotE style reprints confirmed for the prior cycles, Dunwich Legacy Player Box is planned for Q1 2022.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

And this is the next Gen Con scenario :

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for big box style releases. I don't even know how to introduce the game to other people (if I was even comfortable playing in person). It's unapproachable right now. I wouldn't mind providing the encounter cards and knowing that everyone can buy big boxes of player cards.

Also I got to play with Occult Lexicon 3 tonight and it was incredible. Three testless damage when you need it, two and a reshuffle (to get re-found with Old Book of Lore) when you don't need to hit as hard. Daisy has only gotten better.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

LifeLynx posted:

I can't wait for big box style releases. I don't even know how to introduce the game to other people (if I was even comfortable playing in person). It's unapproachable right now. I wouldn't mind providing the encounter cards and knowing that everyone can buy big boxes of player cards.

Also I got to play with Occult Lexicon 3 tonight and it was incredible. Three testless damage when you need it, two and a reshuffle (to get re-found with Old Book of Lore) when you don't need to hit as hard. Daisy has only gotten better.

And the secret best part of Lexicon/Mirror (3)? The bonded cards remain in your hand/deck even if the Book/Mirror that fetch them go away.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

And the secret best part of Lexicon/Mirror (3)? The bonded cards remain in your hand/deck even if the Book/Mirror that fetch them go away.

That's definitely a plus, it's nice to have an asset in Daisy's deck that's somewhat expendable, because she do be loopin through her deck with Abigail + Old Book of Lore and can find Lexicon again if it dies to a Vice and Villainy or whatnot.

Speaking of Vice and Villainy, I put it in my Bad Necronomicon last night. It can't leave play while it has horror on it, so a single Vice and Villainy sits there making it even more unlikely I'm going to gradually take horror to ditch the weakness.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Found another possible mistake in Return to The Circle Undone. This one's when you go down the alternate story branch the Return To set introduces, in Return to The Wages of Sin. If you complete the Irish Witch's task, you get to include her in one of your decks... but you don't get any XP for the three Heretics you banished, because they're never in the victory display. I think you can get 6 XP total in the original version; two from locations, one each from the four Heretics. Irish Witch is really good, probably worth 3 XP, but only one player gets her. My hunch is that they totally forgot to tell you to count those Heretics as in the victory display, because right now the reward for doing things her way is 0-2 XP, an ally for one player, and one Heretic released into the wild which I think is a starting doom in a later scenario IIRC.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

No, you just don’t get the XP.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
So, I've been wondering about how Down the Rabbit Hole works with Father Mateo and/or In the Thick of It. The use of the word "purchase" in the card texts of 0xp cards at character creation is a little weird, because in the rules, the word "purchase" is only ever used for cards you spend XP on (minimum 1, even for lvl 0 cards, during a normal end-of-scenario upgrade step).

So, at creation, do you "purchase" your entire deck one at a time, or simultaneously? Can you purchase cards with Father Mateo's and/or In the Thick of It's XP before you "purchase" Down the Rabbit Hole, avoiding the downside? Do Mateo and ItToI create a special extra "upgrade" step in between deck creation and the first scenario? If so, does discount from the upside of DtRH apply in this upgrade step? Does the answer to that last question change if you're playing TCU, where deck creation is "after a scenario of a campaign" because of the prologue?

My guesses for these questions, respectively: doesn't matter, no, yes, no, it probably shouldn't (but as written it seems like it totally does)

In fact, by reading the rules and FAQ carefully, and noting carefully the uses of the word "purchase", I've come to the inescapable conclusion that, with the rules written as clumsily as they are here, Father Mateo is technically the only character who can purchase Down the Rabbit Hole and In the Thick of It, and the rest of the cycle can't be purchased by anyone, ever. Because first you build your deck of 0XP cards, and Father Mateo has the special extra rule that he can additionally "purchase" cards during deck creation because he starts with XP, and the rules and FAQ make it very clear that the minimum cost of 1 XP applies to all "purchases" in campaign play. The only exception to this is if your deck is below legal size, the 1XP minimum is waived for the cards you purchase to fill the gap. So, the "purchase only at deck creation" text really, really doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, this all came up because I wanted to just purchase In the Thick of It, then Charisma, then Down the Rabbit Hole, and was trying to figure out if that was legal. The only thing I could find on google is someone else doing the same trick on ArkhamDB without even questioning how the rules worked. Anyone else have any idea of how to resolve this mess?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Without combing the rules myself I would say that you can purchase DtRH after spending XP from Mateo or ItToI just because of the long-standing general rule about when things happen during the same timing window you can choose their order, but I think that definitely goes against its intent.

I just scanned the rules-discussion channel on the MB Discord and it doesn't look like they've had a lot of questions about this stuff yet, but they are an excellent resource for exactly this sort of thing. One thing I did learn, though, is that you can technically swap DtRH out with Adaptable, which is also almost certainly not intended.

And regarding rules in general, if you really want to go down the rabbit hole (sorry, I couldn't help myself) the Discord has compiled a list of questions for MJ after discussing the idea with her, and answers to a lot of them will hopefully appear in the next FAQ. And one of them is about the DtRH/Mateo interaction.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I seem to have become obsessed with Arkham Horror LCG, yet I clearly have the wrong temperament for it. I understand that it is a game that is not necessarily fair, and most games in the Cthulu mithos are about trying to get whatever small victories you can when you can, accepting that you can and will be screwed over at any time. But I get so frustrated when it happens. I was trying to kill a 4hp enemy the pit boss in Dunwich 1b . My character had as their only weapon available the .25 Automatic. Whatever, I have 4 shots and hit on -2, I should be fine. The first shot landed then I drew the cultist tile (-3) three times in a row. That's what, one in 3,375 to happen? So I used my one backstab, even though it's wasteful, and that also failed! I quit in frustration. Why do I do this to myself?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Are you using a physical bag? Put your fingers somewhere else.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Use the ArkhamCards app if you are playing in person. The lack of randomness you are experiencing is probably user error.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I was using Burger Tokens for chaos tokens and kept drawing the tentacle or skull way too often, until I took them all out and saw that the tentacle and one skull token were noticeably flatter than the others. I think no matter what, a person is going to have the subconscious bias to put their hand in the same spot.

I wish there was a way to emulate the odds with die rolls, and I guess it is to a degree... until you involve bless/curse, sealing tokens, Grotesque Statue, and pulling more than one token. I really like the ArkhamCards app, partly because my space is limited so the more physical things I can get rid of the better.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I was using an app, actually.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nebrilos posted:

The first shot landed then I drew the cultist tile (-3) three times in a row. That's what, one in 3,375 to happen?

Besides the possible issue with improper shuffling mentioned, I think it's worth mentioning that even if they are properly shuffled, patterns like that are way more likely than people generally think. You've calculated the chances that, in three draws, you draw three cultists. But what are the chances of, over the course of a whole scenario, with some unknown number of bag pulls, that at some point you get an unlucky streak of three cultists in a row, or three tablets, elder things, auto-fails, -3s, or -4s? Suddenly, an unlucky streak like that seems way more likely than 1/3375. And that's not taking into account other unlucky patterns besides 3-in-a-row. And given that someone who plays this game a lot might participate in dozens of scenarios, the odds of at some point experiencing some kind of very unlucky pattern become practically a certainty. Humans are just really bad at evaluating the likelihood of that sort of thing (but really good at noticing it).

So, chin up; shuffle better if you think that's an issue, but either way, your luck will get better if you play more. It's statistically certain.

Edit: nevermind on the shuffle better part then!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, probability is weird. It sounds completely wrong at first glance, but if you draw the cultist token, the most probable time you'll next draw the cultist is your very next draw.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I got the aurbits chaos tokens so when I pull a tentacle for the third time in a row, I can at least enjoy the pretty shiny tentacle.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Use the ArkhamCards app if you are playing in person. The lack of randomness you are experiencing is probably user error.

The "lack of randomness" may not be an actual lack of randomness. Uneven distribution of results/"streaks" =/= lack of randomness.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

alansmithee posted:

The "lack of randomness" may not be an actual lack of randomness. Uneven distribution of results/"streaks" =/= lack of randomness.

Sure but I play with friends who are absolutely dropping the token into the urn and then immediately picking it back up again without realizing it.

Drawing the same token for three checks in a row would happen once per session, within the first few turns, before people remembered they needed to shuffle the tokens a bit.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Speaking of randomness, how do people deal with shuffling? I'm bad at the Vegas waterfall thing, and that would bend the cards anyway. I've basically been making little piles of 2-3 cards multiple times in a row and picking them up again as "randomly" as my brain can manage in between pilings, if that makes sense.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Deal all the cards in my deck semi-randomly into 3 roughly even piles (more if I'm playing a large deck), stack them on top of each other, cut the deck, repeat all steps until satisfied with randomness. It takes awhile but it feels sufficiently random. If I need to shuffle multiple times a turn or just put a couple cards into the encounter deck I'll half rear end it by just pulling chunks of cards from the middle or bottom and putting them on top.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 21, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sirtommygunn posted:

Deal all the cards in my deck semi-randomly into 3 roughly even piles (more if I'm playing a large deck), stack them on top of each other, cut the deck, repeat all steps until satisfied with randomness.

Good old Pile Shuffle. I don't do it exactly like that, but pile shuffling is my go-to prior to a game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Select the object, press R, there you go.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My decks are always sleeved so some mash shuffling is usually all I need but most of the time with a new deck I do a couple of pile shuffles because I feel like it gets the distribution close to random faster than mash shuffling.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I sleeve my decks too, and I mash shuffle a bunch. If the deck is small or I'm shuffling in one or two cards sometimes I roll a die to see how many cards down I should cut. My decks usually require a ton of shuffling. Really the biggest downside of having weaknesses in player decks is that they can't just print cards that search the top X and put everything you didn't select on the bottom, because it'd be too easy to bury your weaknesses. I should build some nice basic Guardian decks to help my sleeve budget, but I'd feel helpless without Practice Makes Perfect, Eureka, Arcane Initiate, etc....

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

What is everyone's opinion about adding side missions to campaigns? We used to do it all the time but noticed the extra xp and story assets would often trivialize the second half of campaigns. Do you only go on one or two side missions, avoid certain ones with broken items (blob, werewolf with calvin), or just do whatever?

We tried this for the first time recently with Excelsior in the middle of Carcosa.

I really liked the scenario, but I wouldn't recommend that particular combo. Between the campaign, scenario, and playing Lola, I think my deck was >25% weaknesses for the last couple of chapters.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Most peeps recommend Carnivale for the middle of Carcosa, but then again the standalones don't really thematically fit in any existing story easily. So just drag and drop anyone to anywhere, or do them after you possibly finish a campaign.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

We will occasionally throw in a bonus or two depending on how it fits with theme or when we want to extend a campaign. Tbh a lot of them may not fit directly, but with all the travel you do on some of can make sense. And you always can stay in a hotel... But you have to be careful because especially if you do have a lot of xp boosts you can easily make up the cost and more and make later missions more trivial. Although depending on when you do the bonus they can be rough so it's somewhat balanced. Nothing stopping your from not spending xp if it feels to much. And there's some cool gear!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also it looks like asmodee is up for sale again. I'm pessimistic what it means for the game and their properties in general. A lot of the somewhat curious choices lined up with and after the last sale. And based on how these venture capital acquisitions go, it's likely the next buyer will be getting an inflated price, then want to slash a bunch to make it up. Hopefully an actual game company puts in a bid and wins

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

It's mostly the lack of appropriate narrative breaks in the campaign that make the standalones fit poorly. I was trying to think of the most nonsensical place to embark upon a standalone and I think it would have to be in TFA after Heart of the Elders, which ends with you getting mind-swapped with a Yithian.

Any point in The Dream-Quest makes about as much sense, but in most cases the last few scenarios in any campaign lead directly on from one another with a great deal of narrative and/or geographical urgency so take your pick, really.

And regarding some of the rewards trivializing the rest of the game, I've played most of them only in standalone mode but from memory Blob and War of the Outer Gods don't have a soft failure resolution; if you lose, your campaign is over, so I guess there's some risk involved in playing them? And trying to target specific rewards involves some extra risk as well, though not so much in Rougarou, I guess.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, probability is weird. It sounds completely wrong at first glance, but if you draw the cultist token, the most probable time you'll next draw the cultist is your very next draw.

And the intuitive reason for this is less weird than it sounds at first: every draw has the same probability of coming up cultist, but since we're talking about the next cultist draw the further out we go the more likely we'll have already drawn the next cultist!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Synergy cards in Carolyn are so much fun. So is dealing with the man in the pallid mask with dynamite. But the greatest combination is using Gené to move people into better positions for dynamite.

Also amazing is the hallway in Arkham asylum that gives you two bucks +1 horror if you end your turn there. For Carolyn, with Peter, that’s three bucks for zero actions.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 24, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

These are the additions to the Revised Core set :

The alternate arts seem to be pretty sparse, and random. Will to Survive though!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s nice the new first aid artwork isn’t grotesque. Now people can avoid taking it because it’s a tempo killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Speaking of grotesque, Baseball Bat has my vote for most improved. And it looks like Mystics got zero new pieces. Also, I always assumed Wendy was a teenager but this version sure isn't.