Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Murdstone posted:

I think some of this is a little unfair, because you're comparing a scan of a print to a digital image intended for print. In print, the colors are not so saturated.

Printing to newsprint practically requires you to go all out on colors. The colors are stronger, but then you're dealing with scans of decades old paper with old Val.

Does anyone have access to a newspaper that scans itself into PDF format? I'm curious now whether modern Prince Valiant in that format is closer to the saturated digital version or the original print version.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

The Bloop posted:

That definitely looks better in print, but I still don't love the choices and the faces are creepy mannequins in that. Uncanny valley like

Yeah, the impression I get is that the artist is probably rushed somewhat. Which is often the case with syndicated strips.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fyadophobic posted:

Yeah, the impression I get is that the artist is probably rushed somewhat. Which is often the case with syndicated strips.

It's probably better than they deserve for what they pay and I really don't want to be nasty to or about the artist. It's clear a lot of effort goes into it. Way more than most.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

Does anyone have access to a newspaper that scans itself into PDF format? I'm curious now whether modern Prince Valiant in that format is closer to the saturated digital version or the original print version.
I have access to the e-version of the Washington Post but that isn't really a scan and looks basically like the electronic version of the strip. The picture I posted is of the print version I got yesterday.

The Bloop posted:

That definitely looks better in print, but I still don't love the choices and the faces are creepy mannequins in that. Uncanny valley like
No doubt new Val is not as good as old Val, I was wanted to point out there are differences in the mediums we're comparing that do have an effect on what we're seeing.

Edit: I agree that I think the artist does a good job in modern Val and probably is limited by the time they can dedicate to it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Murdstone posted:

I think some of this is a little unfair, because you're comparing a scan of a print to a digital image intended for print. In print, the colors are not so saturated.

Printing to newsprint practically requires you to go all out on colors. The colors are stronger, but then you're dealing with scans of decades old paper with old Val.

Don't get me wrong, Foster's art is exceptional. I'm not sure what the coloring process was back then. Here's an ink version of one of his I saw a few years back at the Library of Congress just because.

Those inks are great.

You can see the opposite effect in (god help me) Funky Winkerbean. For all the crap we dump on TomBat, on the Sunday strips he and his co-conspirator Chuck Ayers go all-in with shadows, shading and the color palate. If nothing else, it shows they're trying. Here's yesterday again:

And this is where I was going to scan in mom's copy of the Sunday section for a compare-and-contrast session, to show how a high-speed press being fed a diet of newsprint doesn't do this type of approach any favors. The result is that it often looks like someone dragged a rag over the still-wet ink, which on a canvas of mostly flat colors does make it pop in a way.

That was the plan. Instead, my hometown paper coughed up another, more universal type of indifference.

You make yourself a borderline neurotic to turn in what's arguably your best work of the week for a client base that genuinely has no shits to give about the simplest things in your presentation, like making sure a square stays a square when he lays the section out. If the editor's going to fold, spindle, and mutilate your work because it's required to fill the assigned space by any means necessary, those extra-effort hang-ups are entirely on you, buddy.

And speaking of artistic disasters, here's The MiniSec Ecocide Retrospective!

2008 asks the magic question, "Who's for dinner?" (February 25-29)

2011 (March 28-April 1)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 20, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Holbrook strips arent up on CK yet! Will update later.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Comics Kingdom went down and came back up paywalled. What a piece of poo poo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well, there's always my wacky "download PDFs from a newspaper website and convert them to JPG for imgur" idea. Which probably isn't as tedious as it sounds since you'd get maybe a dozen comics per page.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Stop saying that!

Anyways here's a 90s song about chick magnets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPcDyl6tCV8

The Phantom

I guess he was shot?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EBB posted:

Comics Kingdom is apparently trying to kill what audience they have.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EBB posted:

I'm still getting 404s on their main site. I think they're still having trouble, not making a policy change.

Especially since the horizontal-preference version at https://v7.comicskingdom.net seems to be working fine. I pulled these from there, explaining the aspect ratio of today's Bizarro.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

(Apologies for the ugly font and cropping on some of the older Chakos - these were my first shot at doing translations, and I hadn't figured out how to make the images look nice (the fact that it's watercolors on textured paper doesn't help either). I fixed a few borderline-unreadable ones, like the previous few, but it'd be a whole lot of :effort: to make them all look not-as-lovely.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So is Mary Worth about to do a depressing story about a dog adoption that goes very badly for the dog or a wildly irresponsible story about a dog adoption for all the wrong reasons that goes perfectly

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

After having been reading the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia for a while I've noticed some common occurrences that result in the case being solved so I'm going to say that the proof is "Chief Brown never told the man how fast he was going, so if his speedometer was broken he wouldn't have known he was going 70 mph."

If that is the solution, there's a couple of problems with it. One is that Chief Brown was already talking to the driver before Encyclopedia noticed, so he couldn't have heard the whole conversation, so Encyclopedia couldn't have known that Chief Brown never told the man how fast he was going. The second is that we, as the audience, also didn't hear the entire conversation. We saw what we can assume is Chief Brown's opening line about the Indy 500, but that's only an assumption, and the panel immediately after shifts to Encyclopedia and Sally's point of view, and they're clearly a distance away from the traffic stop. We don't know what Chief Brown or the driver are saying at this point, so it's entirely possible the driver did say "My speedometer is broken" and Chief Brown replied "Well I clocked you at 70 mph."'

Basically if "My dad never told you your speed so that proves your speedometer isn't broken" is the actual solution, it relies on a lot of assumptions and information Encyclopedia can't know, plus the "proof" isn't actually "shown" so it's unreasonable to expect a person to logically figure it out. I only figured it out because again, there's a lot of Encyclopedia Brown cases where the solution is "The criminal was too specific in their claims and provided information they shouldn't have known."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

The Bloop posted:

So is Mary Worth about to do a depressing story about a dog adoption that goes very badly for the dog or a wildly irresponsible story about a dog adoption for all the wrong reasons that goes perfectly

Why choose?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Also, they waited for an ambulance to arrive after the guy was hit, and then walked two blocks. It's probably been half an hour since the accident, the sports car driver could be long gone.

But yeah, being suspiciously specific is the key to losing to Brown in Idaville. In "The Case of the Lemonade Stand," Bugs' attempt to frame Encyclopedia Brown and Sally for going into one of their friends' lemonade stands to take money, (A thing they were actually in the process of doing) fails because he incorrectly used the term "red-handed" when describing the scene to a police officer.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Powered Descent posted:

I'm still getting 404s on their main site. I think they're still having trouble, not making a policy change.

Especially since the horizontal-preference version at https://v7.comicskingdom.net seems to be working fine. I pulled these from there, explaining the aspect ratio of today's Bizarro.

Woah thanks for the tip

here's the Holbrook we've been missing

Kevin and Kell

On the Fastrack

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

love Cyborg Emi

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Yeah, I think it's just that the website is still a little busted. I got everything I was looking for...after a half-dozen tries.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (January 24, 1934)

Peanuts (September 23, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 21, 1938)

Out Our Way (May 27-29, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (January 31-February 2, 1918)

Dok's "You Gotta Be A Football Hero" Duck (October 14, 1913)

Little Lefty, featuring another victory for the proletariat. (May 16-18, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (February 12-14, 1931 (and see if you can spot the almost invisible image patching))

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 21, 2021

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I’m really enjoying 100 Demons. I remember seeing Ernie Pook’s Comik in the papers during college and finding it impenetrable, but now that I’m enjoying these I want to go back and read them.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Am I misremembering or did Bettina (Sally Forth) experience a '90s sitcom age jump from baby to elementary age kid? Seems like all of a sudden she was walking and talking.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! October 9, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 3, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 1, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 3, 1936

Mopsy June 7, 1937

Up Front July 15, 1944

Dark Laughter October 2, 1948

“Never mind doublin’ my money. Just give me what I paid for it on account of the feller I was tryin’ to infliterate wasn’t nobody but Bootsie anyway!”

Those Were the Days April 19, 1956

Wee Pals December 24, 1965

Dogbert May 25, 1966

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

oh good, another interminable Batiuk "small business closing" storyline, this is at least the fourth one of the pandemic?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gatto Grigio posted:

I’m really enjoying 100 Demons. I remember seeing Ernie Pook’s Comik in the papers during college and finding it impenetrable, but now that I’m enjoying these I want to go back and read them.

I'm positive I had a book of that lying around somewhere but just couldn't get into it because of all the words. Daily doses are much more managable.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

somepartsareme posted:

oh good, another interminable Batiuk "small business closing" storyline, this is at least the fourth one of the pandemic?
NEWSPAPER CLOSED, TEENS TO BLAME

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

maltesh posted:

But yeah, being suspiciously specific is the key to losing to Brown in Idaville. In "The Case of the Lemonade Stand," Bugs' attempt to frame Encyclopedia Brown and Sally for going into one of their friends' lemonade stands to take money, (A thing they were actually in the process of doing) fails because he incorrectly used the term "red-handed" when describing the scene to a police officer.

I was thinking more where the criminal gives information they couldn't have known unless they committed the crime, like the one where Encyclopedia figured out a girl broke into some boy's house because she said she would never sleep in a bed with superhero sheets, or where one of the Tigers gets busted for stealing ten dollars from a rival shoeshine stand because he said he had no interest in a sock full of quarters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The worst has to be the one where a suspect proclaims a knife stuck in a watermelon couldn't be his because the blade was too long — and how could he know how long the blade was, as it was stuck in a watermelon!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

I love this comic. Are you translating it as you go and if so thanks, I love you too. Is it in English anywhere, particularly for sale? I was looking to buy some Nekonaughey books last year and I bounced off it pretty fast unfortunately.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiff can't have nice things.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

The "scary Nekonaughey" series are fantastic.

Doomykins posted:

I love this comic. Are you translating it as you go and if so thanks, I love you too. Is it in English anywhere, particularly for sale? I was looking to buy some Nekonaughey books last year and I bounced off it pretty fast unfortunately.
Thanks for the love! I've been translating as I go over in the webcomics thread, yeah - I'm starting over at the beginning here to get some new eyes on it as I agree it's really good and worth sharing. There's no official (or, indeed, other, as far as I know) English translation, sadly, which is mostly why I'm doing it. If you want to read ahead, there's a link to the imgur album - along with some other comics I've been translating - in my sig.

Also the first print volume is currently free on Kindle on amazon Japan, if anyone wants to throw Maruoka some downloads / look at the pictures.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Giant Ethicist posted:

If you want to read ahead, there's a link to the imgur album - along with some other comics I've been translating - in my sig.

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious as my troubleshooting isn't working but I can't see signatures on SA. Option enabled and everything. Could you link me directly? And to avoid a totally useless post from me here:

Jucika "270 - Jucika And The Fashionable Loudspeaker"

Hahahaha those second panel expressions.

"271 - Jucika Provides A Sedative"

"Idegscillapítót is also=Tranquilizer/Bromide
Szülőszoba=Labor Room
Konyha=Kitchen"

:allears: One of Jucika's best. She's so thoughtful.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Twelve by Pies posted:

After having been reading the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia for a while I've noticed some common occurrences that result in the case being solved so I'm going to say that the proof is "Chief Brown never told the man how fast he was going, so if his speedometer was broken he wouldn't have known he was going 70 mph."

If that is the solution, there's a couple of problems with it. One is that Chief Brown was already talking to the driver before Encyclopedia noticed, so he couldn't have heard the whole conversation, so Encyclopedia couldn't have known that Chief Brown never told the man how fast he was going. The second is that we, as the audience, also didn't hear the entire conversation. We saw what we can assume is Chief Brown's opening line about the Indy 500, but that's only an assumption, and the panel immediately after shifts to Encyclopedia and Sally's point of view, and they're clearly a distance away from the traffic stop. We don't know what Chief Brown or the driver are saying at this point, so it's entirely possible the driver did say "My speedometer is broken" and Chief Brown replied "Well I clocked you at 70 mph."'

Basically if "My dad never told you your speed so that proves your speedometer isn't broken" is the actual solution, it relies on a lot of assumptions and information Encyclopedia can't know, plus the "proof" isn't actually "shown" so it's unreasonable to expect a person to logically figure it out. I only figured it out because again, there's a lot of Encyclopedia Brown cases where the solution is "The criminal was too specific in their claims and provided information they shouldn't have known."
It has to be the solution because "How could I know I was going 70" is a non sequitur from "It wasn't my car."

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Doomykins posted:

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious as my troubleshooting isn't working but I can't see signatures on SA. Option enabled and everything. Could you link me directly?
Yeah, I never have them on and can never see them, I basically just filled in some stuff in the appropriate field in the User Control Panel and hoped for the best.

The Uramachi Sakaba imgur album starts here, at any rate: (imgur.com) /a/wD25NnB

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
CK's back, catchup time:

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Doomykins posted:

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious as my troubleshooting isn't working but I can't see signatures on SA. Option enabled and everything. Could you link me directly? And to avoid a totally useless post from me here:
The person has to have 'show signature' checked when they post, and it's unchecked by default. It's so aggressive in trying to keep it off that I had to re-check it after previewing this post, even.

test signature that only exists to show that signatures exist

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!