Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:hmmyes:

I've lived in a lot of places that look like these, the second one in particular reminds me of moving into/out of lovely old flats in Wellington. I almost feel like I've lived in that place

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 21, 2021

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

3-bridge by Tom Pepper, on Flickr

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bellows lugosi posted:

i’d be interested in you posting some examples (not of your own images, of course) of what sort of photographs really excite you

It's really varied. Alkanphel's are in general very good. Nigel Tufnel often hit the spot. And they're both taking pictures I can't take. Dreadheads, but then that's right up my alley (and area). Some of Megabounds.

I like pretty pictures, but I also like challenging pictures, so it doesn't have to be 'perfect'.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

owns

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's really varied. Alkanphel's are in general very good. Nigel Tufnel often hit the spot. And they're both taking pictures I can't take. Dreadheads, but then that's right up my alley (and area). Some of Megabounds.

I like pretty pictures, but I also like challenging pictures, so it doesn't have to be 'perfect'.

i'm asking about photographers who aren't posting in this thread. what photographs are you taking in?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't follow specific photographers, but I fail to see how that is relevant?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

He's asking cause you said that Naps photos didn't do it for you, so he's interested in seeing what does. The next question will probably be why

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

i fail to see how it's not relevant

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i'm curious to see some visual examples (photographs) of what you find interesting, perhaps if you were to show some it might help folks understand where you're coming from

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

all good, but really like 2 and 3

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bellows lugosi posted:

i'm curious to see some visual examples (photographs) of what you find interesting, perhaps if you were to show some it might help folks understand where you're coming from

I’m just here to look at pictures and you’re really bringing the thread down.

People like what they like. People don’t like what they don’t like.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 21, 2021

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

I’m just here to look at pictures and you’re really bringing the thread down.

People like what they like. People don’t like what they don’t like. Nobody owes you an explanation.

why are you so weirdly aggressive about trying to have a discussion on a forum?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bellows lugosi posted:

why are you so weirdly aggressive about trying to have a discussion on a forum?

Because you’re bringing the thread down. It’s literally in my post.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Please stop trying to police what is good discussion in a thread where we discuss photos and opinions. Talking about art makes us better artists.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Megabound posted:

Please stop trying to police what is good discussion in a thread where we discuss photos and opinions. Talking about art makes us better artists.

Being condescending doesn’t make this place seem very inviting to people like me who would like to post more in this thread but find it intimidating.

You may not care about that though 🤷‍♂️

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bellows lugosi posted:

I already mentioned several examples. I tend to acknowledge at least some of the phots I like here.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 21, 2021

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

boop the snoot posted:

Being condescending doesn’t make this place seem very inviting to people like me who would like to post more in this thread but find it intimidating.

It's really weird that you consider a question about one's taste in photography on a forum about photography condescending. Have you considered that it is, in fact, you bringing down a thread of people who like to discuss photography?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

Asking someone what they like is not condescending.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I already mentioned several examples. I tend to acknowledge at least some of the phots I like here.

but surely you could show some of them? i'm curious to see you curate some images that show off a style you actually enjoy.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sure, if I thought your intentions were actually genuine...but I doubt it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

What does it feel like to interpret every question you're asked as an attack?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

:justpost: being challenged will make you better

:rolleyes:

good poo poo

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Goddamn man, those rule. The downward looking perspective really ties it all up and speaks to me.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

incredibly weird opinion here, like i'm trying to scam you into posting about photography genuinely

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

boop the snoot posted:

If you don't want to contribute to the discussion then don't. If you want to browse photos without discussing art then I highly recommend you become a redditor.

Also no one cares if this thread is inviting. Art is a full contact sport here.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 22, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Heck yeah to these

Metropol Parasol:

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

seravid posted:

Heck yeah to these

Metropol Parasol:

Love this one.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

These are really wild, I would love this set as a collage or wall, presented as prints of different sizes. drat. So good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why not crop out that stray bit of pole? Or is that from not being square on the scanner?

Not judging, it's just the sort of thing I would instantly obsess over so am curious.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah that's the edge of the film, didn't even notice it, it did need rotation in post as my horizon was a bit shot.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Tbh I'm pretty sloppy with my scans as I do it to proof and a little bit of web sharing and then I wet print my final stuff.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

seravid posted:

Metropol Parasol:

Hell yeah. Not trying to be a cheeky bugger, but did you ever consider developing these in Black & White? I feel like the form & contrast would make them excellent candidates...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

you sound like a giant baby

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like photos that are more than just pretty photos and if it's a strip mall tire shop with some chairs then that's what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Arguments, questions, comments and debate about content and art and quality are good fun, but can also be inspiring. My comments about Google street view, and subsequent posts about documenting the banal got me thinking. Google is out there documenting the banal at a scale that no human documentarian can possibly approach. Drop your little yellow dude in any small town in America, play around with zoom and angle, and you can get some pretty mundane shots of everyday life in Nowheresville. So I thought, what if I could emulate that myself? Stand in the street and take a picture of nothing in particular, with no real thought to subject except to deliberately have none. I took a bunch of bad photos that didn't quite work, but a couple that showed promise. I blurred faces, numbers on stores, licence plates in GIMP, tried to make it look as street view as I could. It was an interesting experiment and I wouldn't have thought to try it were it not for the discussion itt. I'm going to keep working on it - I haven't got anything worth sharing yet - but I think the idea has promise and hopefully I can manage to pull off something like what I'm thinking.