Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Glovechat: you all probably hate me because i take my glove off after most shots so my hand doesn't get sweaty, and I always wear it for a better feeling grip (I get sweaty hands pretty easy) even on putts and chips. It probably doesn't matter for my swing but ehhh I like it. Also take my wedding ring off due to pressure between the fingers from the style of ring.

I demo'd a G425 Hybrid 3 yesterday and now it lives in my golf bag. Holy smokes it hits nice. Look forward to playing with the adjustable loft too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

canadianclassic posted:

Glovechat: you all probably hate me because i take my glove off after most shots so my hand doesn't get sweaty, and I always wear it for a better feeling grip (I get sweaty hands pretty easy) even on putts and chips. It probably doesn't matter for my swing but ehhh I like it. Also take my wedding ring off due to pressure between the fingers from the style of ring.

I demo'd a G425 Hybrid 3 yesterday and now it lives in my golf bag. Holy smokes it hits nice. Look forward to playing with the adjustable loft too

1) This is what I do with the Glove.
2) I play the G425 Hybrid 4,5 , and 6. They are just so easy to hit. Instead of the 3 hybrid, I have a 7 wood. It's one of my favorite clubs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm thinking about getting a 9 hybrid.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’m a take glove off while I putt person, just feels right?

Also, started buying all my gloves from MG golf, they are like 6-8$ a piece and full Cabretta leather. Not going to pay $20+ for a golf glove ever again.

Don’t wear my wedding ring ever, it stopped fitting after I started climbing, my fingers got bigger/stronger :(.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

I’m a take glove off while I putt person, just feels right?

I'm the same, it isn't even a conscious thing anymore. Putter in hand, glove is off and in my pocket. It's back on before I get to the next tee box though, those guys drive me nuts.

*Get on the tee with no glove on, reach into pocket, oops no tees, looks down, hey, I forgot to wear shoes today.* loving jokers.

In the shoes vein, a couple months ago I looked at my buddy on the 3rd tee and noticed he was wearing two different golf shoes, there's a certain kind of oblivious to do that. One shoe was white, the other was gray, I have no idea how checked out he could be to not notice that at the car but much fun was had at his expense.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

torgeaux posted:

Oh, and anyone who hits on or flirts too hard with the cart girls is an rear end in a top hat.

It's incredibly bad. There's so much latent sexism/chauvinism in golf, between this, "the ladies tees," etc. I've been trying to get more of my femme friends into golfing, and they have enjoyed it, but the issues are really evident, and I can totally see why so many are turned off by it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don’t flirt with the cart girl for the same reason I don’t flirt with the waitress. It’s loving pathetic.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

DoctaFun posted:

Also, started buying all my gloves from MG golf, they are like 6-8$ a piece and full Cabretta leather. Not going to pay $20+ for a golf glove ever again.

I needed new gloves, so I just ordered 4 of the MG's based on this post.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

BCRock posted:

I needed new gloves, so I just ordered 4 of the MG's based on this post.

Awesome! I’ve found them more or less identical to a footjoy or titleist glove, no problems with durability or anything either. I may not look as ‘elite’ wearing them, but I’m too old to care about that now. If someone asks what MG stands for I just make up something different every time, I think I went with Molecular Gastronomy last time.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Anno posted:

I take my glove off between shots to minimize pale-left-hand syndrome. I also leave it off for any chips/pitches/putts.

As a Floridian golfer, this is my biggest concern. So I do the same.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Glove has to come off for putting. It just feels wrong to putt with a glove on. Plus you get to (occasionally) do the awesome rip off the glove on the fairway when you hit a green.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1439018785302794240

Phil, you ballsy son of a bitch, I love you. :allears:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
looks like it sparks a bit. hell yeah.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I played in a member-guest, and I ordered a pair of fireball shots for me and my partner. He didn't want it, so the cart girl took the shot with me. She made her rounds, and when she came back, we did another pair of shots.

Drinks were included in the tournament, so clearly she took them because SHE was hitting on ME. T/F

Edit: I putt with a glove on half the time. I play with a glove every round because I live in Houston, and my forearms sweat at soon as they see the sun.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 20, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I putt glove on on every hole except the last since I usually try and get a head start on emptying all the tees and balls from my pants pockets. I still get home with like 2 stray tees stuck in there which get added to the collection on top of my dresser and remain there for years

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Plank Walker posted:

I putt glove on on every hole except the last since I usually try and get a head start on emptying all the tees and balls from my pants pockets. I still get home with like 2 stray tees stuck in there which get added to the collection on top of my dresser and remain there for years

No, no. Those go in the change tray in your car until a good poke reaching for change causes you to empty the tees. Do you even play golf?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

torgeaux posted:

No, no. Those go in the change tray in your car until a good poke reaching for change causes you to empty the tees. Do you even play golf?

I'd love to leave them in the car except they somehow don't appear in my pocket until I get home and change out of my golf clothes

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

I'd love to leave them in the car except they somehow don't appear in my pocket until I get home and change out of my golf clothes

I too have this phantom tee/ball marker/divot tool issue that only manifests when I get home and empty my pockets.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i got a little thing from amazon called a "stixpick" that is a combination club face brush, repair tool and ball marker with a little rubber cap that goes over the pointy part so i don't stab myself with it. pretty cool

https://amazon.com/dp/B097CL9V66/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I bought the Cigars International Summer Mega-Sampler back in like...2012 or 2013, and it came with a free gift. I picked the combination repair tool / ball marker / cigar/shaft lifter so I wasn't putting the butt of my cigar (or my wedge grip) on the potentially (oh, who are we kidding, this is Florida) ground. Also carried a cigar ashtray made for golf cart cupholders.

I was That Guy that rode alone, kept a six-pack on ice in the basket, a cigar for every 4 1/2 holes, had shifty eyes, and a two-iron in the bag (which incidentally is one of my best clubs).

I also have this goofy-rear end tee that's basically a driver tee held in half by a magnet, an iron tee, and a string that connects all three pieces so that you never lose a tee.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Having a simulator setup in your garage is awesome and all but holy poo poo a hozel rocket that hits your garage door and bounces around the room never stops being terrifying.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
For a serious answer, this is the single best divot tool I've ever owned.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F1YJFFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_BNCPXNTW45ZW08FGCPPC

I have the Executive, but there are other models. You just stab straight down and pull up with a slight twist. None of that "popping the crater up" from the bottom that ruins the grass.

It's remarkable that I haven't lost the cap. If I ever join a country club, I'd go ahead and buy the Spider Pro and keep the greens pristine all by myself.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I shot 77 this weekend in bad conditions. It was the first round since some time in 2019 since I broke 80. I basically stopped playing when COVID started because my game had gone to poo poo, and I wasn’t having fun.

After a lot of work, I’m finally finding my swing again. My all-time low was a 0.2 index, and I’d love to get sub 5 again by the end of the year.

I also went to Portugal and play a few rounds. The courses were amazing!

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
That gorgeous, congrats!

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Been golfing less than a year and just found out I should be using left handed clubs two months ago. Doing much better, unsurprisingly.Strokes are slowly going down, and I'm getting better at putting. Been wondering what to do about clubs though. Ive bought only used clubs, and my left handed set is pretty miscellaneous. My best irons are a few ping karsten IIIas from like 1975, but I do have decent woods and a driver. I have an almost full set of right handed Callaway Diablos I was using so maybe I just got spoiled by those. I can't just try someone else's to know what I like since everyone else is right handed.
At what point did you buy your first real set of irons? Did you feel like it added stability to or otherwise improved your game/swing?

I'm going to guess that money is better spent on more time at the range and some more greens fees but figured I'd ask. As always, the left handed thing makes it a bit different.

Ardemia fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 22, 2021

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I started this spring, grew out of the starter hand-me-down set I had, and i bought a set of irons at Gigagolf since they were cheap and let me do custom length/lie. I'm sure people have feelings on knock-off brands but I love 'em. I'm currently hitting my 7 around 170 and I don't think the clubs are limiting me at all yet. The set of new 5i-SW cost me like $240 shipped, which is significantly less money than I was able to find for any used sets that were made in the last 15-20 years.

I've since added a 4 hybrid from them and it also hits really well, i can hit it 220-230 and straight consistently (I'm playing in Denver so my numbers are a bit inflated). They give you a 30 day return window if you don't like em too.

Their website is pretty bad though so that's a strike against them.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 23, 2021

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
If you are not in a rush, I had good luck with Callaway Pre-owned. I got a set of modern irons in great shape even though they were their lowest their of condition (Steelhead XR 4-PW, SW, Average condition). If you catch one of their many sales (usually around the majors) you can get a decent discount ($310 shipped with tax). The also come with a return policy and a warranty.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Day off work, warm coffee in hand on a chilly morning, nice bottle of bourbon waiting for the afternoon matches. Ryder Cup is the best weekend in golf.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

Day off work, warm coffee in hand on a chilly morning, nice bottle of bourbon waiting for the afternoon matches. Ryder Cup is the best weekend in golf.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't combine the bourbon and coffee to get your day started correctly though?

Anno
May 10, 2017

mattfl posted:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't combine the bourbon and coffee to get your day started correctly though?

Considered it but decided it was a long weekend and I didn't want to get out of sorts too early. Maybe tomorrow!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Crowd is already insufferable.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Douchebag posted:

Crowd is already insufferable.

Username, post combo.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

Considered it but decided it was a long weekend and I didn't want to get out of sorts too early. Maybe tomorrow!

What is your bourbon of choice if I may ask.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I want to see "GET IN THE WATER" yells on holes with no water.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

OMG that Spieth shot was amazing, and Thomas misses the putt. Spieth almost going all the way down the hill was hysterical.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Douchebag posted:

OMG that Spieth shot was amazing, and Thomas misses the putt. Spieth almost going all the way down the hill was hysterical.
Him hitting the perfect shot and then prat-rolling into Lake Michigan would have been an all-timer of a sports moment.

Anno
May 10, 2017

mattfl posted:

What is your bourbon of choice if I may ask.

Today I have some Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Jordan Spieth's amazing shot on 17 was just... holy poo poo.

If you want to really see how up and down it was (frickin' literally) - this video is time stamped to right before they show it's decent in slo-mo. Just a straight down drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8Tv7Swv20&t=75s

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

One of the coolest shots I’ve very seen.

Then his partner hosed it, rendering it pointless.

Thomas has been pretty mediocre today overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
So I've been working on a project that I want to run by you guys.

The quick background is I've always been the guy in my group who finds the tee times, sends out the times to everyone, gets people to commit, and finally books the round. I do this every week. I was getting really frustrated with how many different courses I'd have to check before I could finally find a few open tee times after work. Particularly in the past 2 years with COVID it's gotten ridiculous to where I'm checking 10 courses for tee times before I find a few. At first I figured somebody must have solved this in some way but nope, there's only stuff like GolfNow and they don't have any of the courses my group plays. Maybe that's unique to my area but I suspect it's not.

I'm a programmer and I have some background in automation so I am thinking okay I could definitely write a bot to do this and I came up with something that's been extremely useful to me personally.

Here's a picture of the output for the prototype:

(if you care to see it in action I've got it hosted at teewatch.com)

You can basically see the current state of all the course tee sheets in your area. I don't have any special deals with these places so I just link to their regular booking site.

I'm trying to decide if this is actually something that's useful to a larger amount of people or if most people just book at the same place every week to where a comparison site is not all that useful. I figure this crew will give me some honest feedback about whether I should keep plugging away at this and try to make something out of it or just leave it as a toy project I toss on a resume and move on.