Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd patch that and run it. Either an internal patch or plug. Ideally internal but either will work and do you.

They prob argue against plugging it in the grove like that as the carcass is thinner there. Hence run an internal patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder why the people making and selling tyres don't want you fixing a puncture? Odd

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Talking with the guy who owns the local indy motorcycle service joint and is also the regional Dunlop rep who covers track days/races/etc., the margin on tires sounds like complete poo poo. He makes more selling one Arai helmet than he does selling three sets of race slicks, and I'm pretty sure that's just gross margin without the labor to install the tires factored in.

Maybe dealing with tire installation is just such a pain in the rear end that they're not willing to gently caress with it unless they can squeeze every last potential cent out of the process?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

the inside of the tread doesn't even touch the road. it's like the least stressed part of the whole tire

Isn’t the tire carcass going to flex most where there are sipes in the tread?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'll try to dig up the actual factory information at some point. Afaik internal patching isn't needed, but they do require to check the inside of the tire for damage or delamination.

One of the shops i called, i really trust to not just try and upsell me. The type run by an old guy with long hair and his wife, that's somehow survived gentrification, could be retired, but still just does it to keep busy.

In any case, i ruined my chance of repairing it myself because i had the plan to ride it to a tire shop, and for that short ride i put one of those worm things in there.
I kinda wanna just get some tire removal tools and deal with everything myself in the future, but i don't have the space to store more tools. Just using tire spoons looks like way too much effort for bike tires.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

on thursday i was backed up in sorta construction zone traffic line up and while stopped i saw what basically looked like a huge bolt and nut that had been sheered off from a wheel or something. any ways i reached down from my moto and threw it to the curb. the object was probably like a 2 inch cube of metal and would gently caress up any tire. welp thats my story. :tipshat:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I went to a demo event today and got to try out the Zero SR/F (https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model/zero-srf).

I was quite impressed with it. It only took a few minutes to get used to not having to shift gears. But it was a little unnerving getting almost zero engine feedback -- no noise, revving, or vibration. Even while accelerating it felt like coasting, or more like gliding. The bike itself felt sturdy and well-assembled. The power felt manageable. Even with regenerative braking cranked up, the bike barely lurched back and forth.

For the kind of riding I do -- around town, commuting, occasional highway -- I'd be very tempted if it weren't for the price tag.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
My friend let me on his CBR1000rr.
It made me cry tears of joy. 🤣

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 21, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

good job not hitting anything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

good job not hitting anything

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
It handles really friggin easy and light. I only took it up to highway speeds. It's sooo much bike.

Could probably knock someone out with G forces from acceleration, especially after like 6000 rpm it seems to pick up even more.

You kinda feel the suspension shift when accelerating.

I rode my other friend's 90s Katana 750. It's easier to ride than that.

That's my first experience on a liter bike.

I hope my friend doesn't die.

The bike is not as uncomfortable to ride as I thought it would be, and it is not unwieldy at all.

I would love one but I can't justify getting one unless I start doing a shitload of track days. It would be a couple years away for me at least.

Glad I got to ride it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 21, 2021

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Could probably knock someone out with G forces from acceleration

That mighty ~1 g.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

especially after like 6000 rpm it seems to pick up even more.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I texted my dad a photo of the DRZ and said something like "nearly done, almost perfect, just needs a kickstarter lol"

He texted me back with the Suzuki OEM part number for the kit and asked if this was it and I reply in the affirmative.

Disappears for like 10 minutes and texts me back "happy birthday", attaches a screenshot of an order page from suzuki.ca lol

So yeah. Family is the best at enabling my habits :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 21, 2021

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Wasn't sure if this was better in the Newbie thread or here, but here goes nothing:

I got caught in stop-and-go slow traffic in Montreal for ~2.5 to 3 hours on Sunday, which was mostly not a big deal and was just an excusing to putter along and chat over helmet comms with my friend. The bike was getting really hot however, and after about two hours I had a sudden issue come up, where my clutch wouldn't disengage even when I would pull the lever all the way to the hand grip on the bar. Definitely freaked me out, I killed the engine and managed to get pulled over into a little parking lot. We figured it was some air in the line maybe because the hydraulic fluid got too hot or something (just some quick Googling while we were pulled over). After the biked cooled down for about 40 minutes I got most of the tension back in the clutch lever, but it still freaks me out a bit. The clutch 'feels' like it's back to normal but I can't really tell because now I'm actively picking apart how it feels, if that makes sense.

What is this indicative of? Air in the line? Was I doing damage to the clutch by not using Neutral liberally while slowly stopping and going through gridlock? I'm going to take it in to the dealership because the bike is still under warranty and I don't know anything, but I know there are a few mechanical aces on here.

Edit: Hydraulic clutch, 2018 Ducati Scrambler if that matters, in case you've run into it before yada yada yada

Edit 2: The dealership says to not sweat it, they're confident it was just overheated from riding the clutch through all that traffic and to monitor it/bring it in if it happens in non-extenuating circumstances. I'm pretty close to the 10,000km service so they'll check it then, but to not panic in the mean time.

Jcam fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 21, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

T Zero posted:

I went to a demo event today and got to try out the Zero SR/F (https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model/zero-srf).

I was quite impressed with it. It only took a few minutes to get used to not having to shift gears. But it was a little unnerving getting almost zero engine feedback -- no noise, revving, or vibration. Even while accelerating it felt like coasting, or more like gliding. The bike itself felt sturdy and well-assembled. The power felt manageable. Even with regenerative braking cranked up, the bike barely lurched back and forth.

For the kind of riding I do -- around town, commuting, occasional highway -- I'd be very tempted if it weren't for the price tag.

Try an Energica and a LiveWire too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jcam posted:

Wasn't sure if this was better in the Newbie thread or here, but here goes nothing:

I got caught in stop-and-go slow traffic in Montreal for ~2.5 to 3 hours on Sunday, which was mostly not a big deal and was just an excusing to putter along and chat over helmet comms with my friend. The bike was getting really hot however, and after about two hours I had a sudden issue come up, where my clutch wouldn't disengage even when I would pull the lever all the way to the hand grip on the bar. Definitely freaked me out, I killed the engine and managed to get pulled over into a little parking lot. We figured it was some air in the line maybe because the hydraulic fluid got too hot or something (just some quick Googling while we were pulled over). After the biked cooled down for about 40 minutes I got most of the tension back in the clutch lever, but it still freaks me out a bit. The clutch 'feels' like it's back to normal but I can't really tell because now I'm actively picking apart how it feels, if that makes sense.

What is this indicative of? Air in the line? Was I doing damage to the clutch by not using Neutral liberally while slowly stopping and going through gridlock? I'm going to take it in to the dealership because the bike is still under warranty and I don't know anything, but I know there are a few mechanical aces on here.

Edit: Hydraulic clutch, 2018 Ducati Scrambler if that matters, in case you've run into it before yada yada yada

Edit 2: The dealership says to not sweat it, they're confident it was just overheated from riding the clutch through all that traffic and to monitor it/bring it in if it happens in non-extenuating circumstances. I'm pretty close to the 10,000km service so they'll check it then, but to not panic in the mean time.

Brake/clutch fluid absorbs water over time, when you get it too hot the water turns to steam. Change your clutch fluid as it's now proper hosed. Stop riding your Ducati in gridlocked traffic, this won't be the last issue you have if you continue doing things it's not meant for. Bikes are meant to keep moving and can't cool adequately while standing still, they all have a different threshold before cooking but they all do it eventually.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Slavvy posted:

Brake/clutch fluid absorbs water over time, when you get it too hot the water turns to steam. Change your clutch fluid as it's now proper hosed. Stop riding your Ducati in gridlocked traffic, this won't be the last issue you have if you continue doing things it's not meant for. Bikes are meant to keep moving and can't cool adequately while standing still, they all have a different threshold before cooking but they all do it eventually.

I know I was being stupid, it just snuck up on us before I realized we were locked in and I didn't think to just pull over. We were at the tail end of a 2400km weekend so I was also exhausted and was too focused on getting home. You think changing the clutch fluid is something I can easily do myself with my limited abilities and without causing more issues? I've got some tools at home and can get some DOT4 fluid nearby probably, I just don't want to cause any more issues.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jcam posted:

I know I was being stupid, it just snuck up on us before I realized we were locked in and I didn't think to just pull over. We were at the tail end of a 2400km weekend so I was also exhausted and was too focused on getting home. You think changing the clutch fluid is something I can easily do myself with my limited abilities and without causing more issues? I've got some tools at home and can get some DOT4 fluid nearby probably, I just don't want to cause any more issues.

Yeah it's easier than changing brake fluid tbh.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

welp thats my story. :tipshat:
Thank you for you are service.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Steakandchips posted:

Try an Energica and a LiveWire too.

I'd love to. I'm keeping an eye out for other demo days. I very curious how different e bikes are from one another and if the differences are comparable in magnitude to those in typical bikes.

Edit: Just an open question for the folks here. Would you consider switching to an electric motorcycle (if cost and performance were within range), or do they defeat the whole purpose of riding for you?

T Zero fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 22, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I will be buying a LiveWire at some point in the near future. It’s sodding fantastic. Nicer than the energicas. More fun than petrol IMO.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I will be buying a LiveWire at some point in the near future. It’s sodding fantastic. Nicer than the energicas. More fun than petrol IMO.

Take this with a grain of salt, this man was unaware of the top half of the tacho until recently.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’d consider an electric scooter but probably not an electric bike unless they had a 200mi range or readily accessible rapid charging (like adding 80% within 15-30min). I mostly just ride for fun and seldom ride less than 100mi at a time.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’d buy an electric bike in a second if they were cheaper and had more range, in that order, and honestly I haven’t actually needed more range than they currently offer in a long time.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Take this with a grain of salt, this man was unaware of the top half of the tacho until recently.

get his rear end

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

T Zero posted:

Edit: Just an open question for the folks here. Would you consider switching to an electric motorcycle (if cost and performance were within range), or do they defeat the whole purpose of riding for you?

Yes. For me, they enhance riding. Zeros are great, apart from the lack of CCS. Once they get that, I'm in.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

An electric ruckus would be perfect for me and if it was around the same price as the gas one I'd be sorely tempted.

Edit: I'd have an electric car too if I was in the market for a new one. Appliance transport is perfect for electrics (or public transport but lol America) but I just can't do an electric bike for "excitement" riding.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 22, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

I would absolutely love an electric bike if I could have one with 180kgs or less and at least 50-60 horsepower. Nothing over 200kg interests me at all regardless of the method of propulsion. From a riding fun standpoint I see no downside to an electric except for maybe backing it in, idk how that would work but I imagine you'd be able to customize the amount of 'engine braking' until it steps out to the desired degree.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

We all learn as we go!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd love to have an electric for commuting but I don't think I'll ever actually buy one regardless of the price, because the W is a solid foreverbike and I don't have that much space.

Outside of that the only other use case I might have for an electric would be local shopping runs, which could be covered much better by a heavy e-bike with a big luggage rack (no plates, no insurance, nobody riding my rear end about parking on the pavement even in the least moto-friendly towns)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'd need an electric bike to have DC charging for it to work for me. My car is electric and it's excellent, can't really fault it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have an electric moped because it cost me 1000€, any 'real' electric vehicles are way roo expensive for now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really can’t wait until electric bikes aren’t “new” anymore and they show up for cheap on the used market.

I’m gonna make such a frankenbike once it’s viable to buy a wrecked ebike for its drivetrain and wiring.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I would only be interested in an electric bicycle if I could sneak into the bike lane and on sidewalks with it and chain it up anywhere etc

Basically I’d want something that technically has pedals but I’d never use them

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pretty sure there's already e-bikes that fit that bill, some of the ones I've seen deliveroo riders running have tyres that would be at home on a 125cc motorbike. They'd be an absolute beast to pedal, but really the pedals are only there for classification purposes at that point.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I think my electric bike plans are, like this mould-and-idiot-ridden island, hosed because of Brexit inflation

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I ended up grabbing an Onyx RCR to fill the gap between "bike" and "motorcycle" and its pretty dope. Weird gray area for street legality though; I mostly just ride very chill and havent had any issues

(yeah probably should have just gotten a 125cc bike for fuckin around on but this guy is super fun and low-effort)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I would have bought an electric motorcycle for my first bike if they were within my price range (Energica :swoon:); as it is I'm thinking about picking up a NIU scooter for all the in-city riding I do. Figure at the rate battery tech is improving we've got around 5 years before there's as much e-bike price/range variety as there is with electric cars now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll probably never own an electric motorcycle because short of amazing battery technology development or a huge economy of scale shift in prices I'll never be able to justify the cost new, and anything hitting the used market will have a battery that will likely be deteriorated and require an expensive retrofit anyway. Incidentally this is my biggest problem with the used electric car market too. Prices are still up there, anything hitting the used market will probably require refit, and this will leave lower income people struggling once we've got electric production mandates in place, unless the prices come down significantly. A lot of people I know rely on used cars for daily life and even buying a new economy car is a real stretch on their budget.

Anyway, by the time I see these bikes becoming affordable I'll likely be in a retirement home. Given how various parts of my body have started to suck at age 40-something, I don't see myself as the cool 80 year old grampa still riding a bike.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I've been driving an electric car for about 3 years now and I'll absolutely grab an ebike when they aren't insanely expensive. The difference in torque and reponsiveness is just delightful.
Only thing I don't like about them is that it'll be harder to work on, but then that's how I feel about any post 2000 bike