Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Pawnmorpher maybe. He was once a man! Now he's an annoying proselytizing rhino. Knocking on doors, accidentally knocking them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

first draft of the egg item my mutants will be spawned from!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hellioning posted:

like. An actual rhino?

Pawnmorpher. I started the colony and he spontaneously joined. Used to be a man, now he's a rhino, and damnit you will join his religion. :argh:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah okay.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Does he have enough supporters to get a speaker role and convert everyone to rhinocerism?

Kinda disappointed that after they go quadrapedal you can't just fit the Pawnmorpher post-men with cyberhands and get them back to work on skilled jobs, like yes you can give them a reversion serum and make the rhino human again but A. that's boring, and B. it doesn't work on Gordon Ramsay, who mechanically isn't a human at all, just a ram who cooks (badly), and ergo is not eligible for humanization

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 21, 2021

Loure
Jan 1, 2021

Reveilled posted:

Can anyone advise me on how the heck pawns path in this game? I have a dining room which attaches to a freezer, containing raw food. The raw food freezer connects to a second freezer which has a small stockpile of fine meals (and that freezer then connects to the kitchen, but I don't think that's relevant to my problem). I have put a shelf in the dining room which has fine meals on it. Pawns are still pathing into the freezer to get fine meals about half the time, despite the fact that you literally have to walk past the shelf of fine meals in order to get into the freezer.

I could understand this if sometimes a pawn was closer by absolute distance to the meals in the freezer than the meals on the shelf, so was blindly pathing to the "closest" one even if that took them past perfectly serviceable meals, but I've literally seen colonists in the dining room take a meal off the shelf, eat it, decide to take a meal into their inventory, and path to the freezer to get one, when they are literally two tiles from a shelf of meals.

I'm not sure if there's something I can do about this unmodded, I can't forbid the freezer doors since I need people to be able to haul items in, and I can't forbid the meals since I need the small stockpile to top up occasionally when my cooks get pre-occupied or injured and don't want to micromanage it based on volumes.

To my knowledge, pawns take the path of least resistance to get to where they're going, even if that path of least resistance makes no sense. Such as, there's a carcass they want to haul but it pulls them through a cave with a swarm of bugs. They don't care; it's the shortest path to the destination.

There are some mods updated for 1.3 which make pawn patching make more sense though, and can keep them from wandering into things that will murder them.

But as far as answering why they go grab a fresh meal when they have some in their inventory, I have no idea.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Reveilled posted:

Can anyone advise me on how the heck pawns path in this game? I have a dining room which attaches to a freezer, containing raw food. The raw food freezer connects to a second freezer which has a small stockpile of fine meals (and that freezer then connects to the kitchen, but I don't think that's relevant to my problem). I have put a shelf in the dining room which has fine meals on it. Pawns are still pathing into the freezer to get fine meals about half the time, despite the fact that you literally have to walk past the shelf of fine meals in order to get into the freezer.

I could understand this if sometimes a pawn was closer by absolute distance to the meals in the freezer than the meals on the shelf, so was blindly pathing to the "closest" one even if that took them past perfectly serviceable meals, but I've literally seen colonists in the dining room take a meal off the shelf, eat it, decide to take a meal into their inventory, and path to the freezer to get one, when they are literally two tiles from a shelf of meals.

I'm not sure if there's something I can do about this unmodded, I can't forbid the freezer doors since I need people to be able to haul items in, and I can't forbid the meals since I need the small stockpile to top up occasionally when my cooks get pre-occupied or injured and don't want to micromanage it based on volumes.

I have two possible explanations here, the first is: dietary preferences. If the meal is made with something they dislike, they'll avoid it if there's stuff they don't dislike elsewhere. Very common with fungus because it's allowed as a default meal ingredient but most people hate it. Ideoligions throw in more complication. If you're using race mods, I think some races add their own carnivore or herbivore restrictions but fine meals ought to be fine for them.

The second explanation is: the meal stack is already reserved for use. Next time you see pawns wander off to grab the freezer meal, pause the game and right click that meal stack to see if it's reserved by someone coming in from elsewhere about to grab their own lunch. My bases are usually very compact so it's not an issue, but I can see it becoming one with big bases that have long travel times. I suspect this is also the real reason why pawns carry meals around with them, it's way to guarantee pawns have a meal to eat instead of players wondering why their crafter started chowing down on raw meat when the lumberjack is coming in for dinner from halfway across the map.

night slime posted:

Walking is admittedly pretty weird though. I've had random guys fall from the sky and they die because of the circuitous path the rescuer takes back to the hospital bed.

This one's a side effect of performance optimization. When a path exceeds 63? or so tiles, the game falls back to a less precise pathfinding method where the map is subdivided into chunks and the pawn paths from chunk to chunk. If you pay attention to how the pawns move over time, you might notice that the pawns are consistent about the weird routes they're taking, that's where those chunk boundaries are. Or you can enable the chunk view in the dev tools, I don't remember the exact name of the button offhand though.

There's a mod called Perfect Pathfinding that "fixes" this issue by making the game never fall back to the faster pathfinding method, but there's a performance hit so use at your own risk.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the optimized pathfinding is very noticeable with anima trees, which are always a minimum distance away from your base. my pawns are dedicated to trudging through the low movespeed swamp instead of the nice path i made for them, because its not a perfect diagonal line from chunk to chunk. even if the path is like 1 tile away from their 'ideal' route they won't move onto the path.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

tbh I've had quite a few pawns domed from behind embrasures - their main benefit IMO is more keeping melee dudes off of you for a bit
Yeah this is the only main thing embrasure-style stuff really breaks; they nerf melee pretty hard. You also need to either have an open entrance in the walls or an open doorway blocked my melee or the or else the raid will just start beating down the closest walls sapper-style so you can't completely ignore melee pawns either. But mechanoids are lethal enough that I don't mind crippling scythers a bit and as noted they won't really keep your shooters any safer than sandbags or other good cover would. ... Well, unless the mod has hilariously broken cover values but that's a separate thing from embrasure balance itself. :effort:

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

OGS-Remix posted:

When you get the chance, I'd definitely like to see what the mod is. Having multiple animal pens makes it really hard to balance the food supply out even with the built in priority system.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2274678322 here you go

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the optimized pathfinding is very noticeable with anima trees, which are always a minimum distance away from your base. my pawns are dedicated to trudging through the low movespeed swamp instead of the nice path i made for them, because its not a perfect diagonal line from chunk to chunk. even if the path is like 1 tile away from their 'ideal' route they won't move onto the path.

As with everything, there is a mod for that ! This disables the "optimization" and makes the game calculate a proper path for the whole length https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2341486509 . They'll actually use roads and paths then, and I haven't seen any real performance cost on this either.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I neglected to move my trader stop spot after closing off a wall and opening a new main entrance so my surgeon was interrupted by a trade caravan walking their muffalo through the operating suite.

Eh it's just heart surgery.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Finally caved in to the wishlist and bought Rimworld. First colony was going alright. Rich farm area in a valley sort of a thing. First encounter comes along and I go to defend with my two colonists capable of violence and I have guns so why should I worry? Well I fumble the placement putting both of them in melee against the attacker's knife and 10 melee skill and get wrecked. Sarai the pacifist is left watching one of her compatriots hauled away as she tends to Iosif. All was well and good until the warg I dropped in with goes beserk because he was bonded to the red shirt that didn't make it. He eats a leg off Sarai and attacks Iosif when he tries to crawl from his bed and tend her wounds. Then a cool dude came to help and dried to a grizzly or something.

10/10 will colonize again.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

welcome to the rim - enjoy your stay

my first colony burned alive after raiders set fire to my rice fields man in black showed up and was basically insta merked

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

night slime posted:

I wonder if it's not walking that's the problem but that they want the freshest food. Don't really know off the top of my head if that's a real priority thing though or if it's fixable.

Walking is admittedly pretty weird though. I've had random guys fall from the sky and they die because of the circuitous path the rescuer takes back to the hospital bed.

it could be the least fresh, like how they prioritise on caravans

e: whoa i really procrastinated on hitting post on this one

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 21, 2021

Heffer
May 1, 2003

There's a new Android Tiers option I just spotted of "HellUnit Surrogate Android (S-HU)" but it looks just like a normal T4 android. Anybody know what the point of it is?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Kafouille posted:

As with everything, there is a mod for that ! This disables the "optimization" and makes the game calculate a proper path for the whole length https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2341486509 . They'll actually use roads and paths then, and I haven't seen any real performance cost on this either.

Alternatively https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2603765747

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Meatlong Football posted:

Finally caved in to the wishlist and bought Rimworld. First colony was going alright. Rich farm area in a valley sort of a thing. First encounter comes along and I go to defend with my two colonists capable of violence and I have guns so why should I worry? Well I fumble the placement putting both of them in melee against the attacker's knife and 10 melee skill and get wrecked. Sarai the pacifist is left watching one of her compatriots hauled away as she tends to Iosif. All was well and good until the warg I dropped in with goes beserk because he was bonded to the red shirt that didn't make it. He eats a leg off Sarai and attacks Iosif when he tries to crawl from his bed and tend her wounds. Then a cool dude came to help and dried to a grizzly or something.

10/10 will colonize again.

It only gets worse.. wait until you're 10 hours into your colony and die to your first mech raid.

Or you get manhunter pack of elephants...

PTSD

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Kanos posted:

They used to be really, really powerful in the context of the old Killbox of Ultimate Doom where you can precisely set up your killbox so the enemy enters LoS at their optimal engagement range, because their damage output is absurd - Uranium Slugs will basically instantly kill or maim human pawns with every successful shot and autocannons are basically what mini turrets wish they could be.

The issue is that breachers are now so common that, factored together with mechanoid clusters, drop pods, ship parts, and sappers, like 85-90% of my fights occur at basically random points in my fortifications, and even with a midgame to early lategame colony it's waaaay too loving expensive to build and supply multiple nests of such expensive turrets.

yeah i used to use them to get people to shoot the hell out of one another in choked corridors before tynan toned friendly fire way the gently caress down. they used to be utterly fantastic. now not nearly so much.

uranium slug turrets i get if they hit something that's pretty much the end of them, but in most situations they get a mighty like 2 shots off before the battle is joined and they're taking tons of fire. their accuracy is positively asinine too, so they really only are liable to hit something in the big rushes of dudes that are their kryptonite.

every time i look at turret design it feels like i am missing something small but critical that would turn these things into helpful assets by providing strong areas of support for pawns in combat, but the way it always turns out is that they work more accurately as ablative armor for your pawns, drawing fire and probably dying so the pawns can get into position and actually win the battle. and in that respect it's competing with a roof-fall trap that is more bang for your buck both figuratively and literally. a roof-fall trap similarly shapes the battlefield, but it does so more aggressively and for a staggering fraction of the price.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 21, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah, especially nowadays and for mini-turrets, I can do more damage per component, more reliably, by just setting up trapped cover positions in easy range of my defensive positions.

So, by interspersing full wall tiles and barricades one can create positions where pawns can engage from full cover. Embrasures which aren’t completely sealed off, with a few barricades or whatnot slotted in, are just mechanically less irritating to set up, even more of a consideration now that I need blockhouses for every major approach.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cluster them, get rid of cover in their field of fire, throw up some poo poo to slow down/injure anyone trying to get close to them, give your pawns a covered vantage point anyone trying to attack the turrets has to walk past so your guys can shoot them in the back of the head. Miniturrets don't really kill raids on their own, they synergize with the rest of your defense by slowing attackers way down and drawing attention so reliably that a relative handful of pawns can safely just walk up and execute people.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 21, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah, especially nowadays and for mini-turrets, I can do more damage per component, more reliably, by just setting up trapped cover positions in easy range of my defensive positions.

So, by interspersing full wall tiles and barricades one can create positions where pawns can engage from full cover. Embrasures which aren’t completely sealed off, with a few barricades or whatnot slotted in, are just mechanically less irritating to set up, even more of a consideration now that I need blockhouses for every major approach.

part of it is the big turrets' huge blast zone when they go. like, get a load of the autocannon turret's leavings when it explodes:

i don't see how i can work this into an integrated defensiveworks with that sort of liability on my hands. i've at one point thought of basically a 15-deep killbox area that has miniturret support at the 10 hex mark. the problem is that even if you make it just as wide as it is long there's so many goddamned potential explosions in there that it's hard to put pawns in the area without risking them getting blown up or just shot by their own turrets.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Cluster them, get rid of cover in their field of fire, throw up some poo poo to slow down/injure anyone trying to get close to them, give your pawns a covered vantage point anyone trying to attack the turrets has to walk past so your guys can just shoot them in the back of the head. Miniturrets don't really kill raids on their own, they synergize with the rest of your defense by slowing attackers way down and drawing attention so reliably your pawns can just walk up and execute people.
the problem is that this isn't really accomplished by turrets but some of the other junk you put AROUND turrets. so in your example i could use a 7x10 room that has layers of miniturrets and a bolt hole/overwatch area that my pawns can peek into after the turrets are engaged, or i could just put one turret surrounded by sandbags and a single column with an explosive IED behind it to carve in a roof trap. make it so the explosive IED is 4 hexes away from the turret, and now basically the first determined attackers that penetrate the killbox and aren't immediately killed by your supporting pawns will charge forward, take cover from the turret directly on the IED, and bring the roof down on their entire raid. with any kind of sizable raid will take way, way, way more damage from this than even half a dozen turrets could hope to dish out, at a bare fraction of the price.

the issue with all of this is that you don't even need the turret for this. you could accomplish it with just the pawns. or pawn, just draft someone and have them hang out in the hall with the roof trap. the turret just ensures that it will go the way you think it should even if everyone's in bed with malaria. it also doesn't answer the question of what conceivable use autoturrets and uranium slug turrets could have.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 21, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the killbox should really be 90% designed for animals since breachers are so common at this point. it makes way more sense to have a curtain wall surrounding a ring of pillboxes which themselves surround your main wall.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Cluster them, get rid of cover in their field of fire, throw up some poo poo to slow down/injure anyone trying to get close to them, give your pawns a covered vantage point anyone trying to attack the turrets has to walk past so your guys can shoot them in the back of the head. Miniturrets don't really kill raids on their own, they synergize with the rest of your defense by slowing attackers way down and drawing attention so reliably that a relative handful of pawns can safely just walk up and execute people.

Well, sure, but for the cost of 2-3 IEDs per front I can lure the shooty section of a raid into blowing up the cover they thought they were taking, leaving everyone in the open and probably on fire.

With regard to the general slug turret question, basically you want those positioned behind and to the side of your defensive position, because if they’re directly behind they’ll shoot up your pawns and if they’re not behind they’ll attract fire, with relatively alarming results. Outside of an actual kill box I don’t think I’ve gotten good results from them.

Really just give me actual claymores, let me wait for the point pawns to get past the phase line before I hit the clacker!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if you can get IEDs to work better, go for it, IME they're always too much hassle and always in the wrong place, and don't do the very important part of totally distracting the raiders until every last one is dead.

claymores would be way OP but really any kind of smart defense is, including placeable moats or anything like that that hampers travel without providing cover. Raiders are dumb.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if you can get IEDs to work better, go for it, IME they're always too much hassle and always in the wrong place, and don't do the very important part of totally distracting the raiders until every last one is dead.

claymores would be way OP but really any kind of smart defense is, including placeable moats or anything like that that hampers travel without providing cover. Raiders are dumb.

cover baiting is the very easy way to get raiders to step on IEDs. the abovementioned roof-trap trick relies on it. if you just want miscellaneous bad cover to direct raiders to bad firing positions, use wooden stools. if the alternative is nothing, they will go for the stool 100% of the time and hit the spike trap or whatever you have there. if the stool still exists it then will provide a mighty 20% cover vs the 75% cover of the walls your pawns are firing from, hopefully also with sandbags/barricades.

punishedkissinger posted:

the killbox should really be 90% designed for animals since breachers are so common at this point. it makes way more sense to have a curtain wall surrounding a ring of pillboxes which themselves surround your main wall.

sappers can still be manipulated to heading to your killbox pretty easily, but the implementation is a little more complicated than it used to be - and, ironically, is again another use for turrets that is super gamey and has almost nothing to do with the turret.

sappers WILL plot their attacks through areas that are covered by turrets, but they strongly prefer not to. so if you have a perimeter wall whose inner side is covered by turret firing zones, a good 10 squares deep into your general base area will count as covered by turrets and therefore not considered ideal for sapping attacks. it is not important for these turrets to be powered. this will generally convince a sapping party to try other approaches that are not covered by turrets - that is to say, your killbox.

the way it's harder is that enemies are now much more willing to cut through small expanses of natural rock than they used to be. used to be, anything that had even a single hex of natural stone was ignored almost entirely by sapping attackers. now outlander sappers are perfectly happy to hurl a few grenades.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 21, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Heffer posted:

There's a new Android Tiers option I just spotted of "HellUnit Surrogate Android (S-HU)" but it looks just like a normal T4 android. Anybody know what the point of it is?

Hellunits, assuming its made by the same guy, are combat oriented. So expect high natural armor and pretty hefty natural attacks.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I just use dev mode to delete raiders I don't feel like dealing with or who look too scary

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Coolguye posted:

part of it is the big turrets' huge blast zone when they go. like, get a load of the autocannon turret's leavings when it explodes:

I either surround them in walls except for the direction they face the enemy from, or put them out in the open away from everything else and each other.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

yeah i used to use them to get people to shoot the hell out of one another in choked corridors before tynan toned friendly fire way the gently caress down. they used to be utterly fantastic. now not nearly so much.

uranium slug turrets i get if they hit something that's pretty much the end of them, but in most situations they get a mighty like 2 shots off before the battle is joined and they're taking tons of fire. their accuracy is positively asinine too, so they really only are liable to hit something in the big rushes of dudes that are their kryptonite.

every time i look at turret design it feels like i am missing something small but critical that would turn these things into helpful assets by providing strong areas of support for pawns in combat, but the way it always turns out is that they work more accurately as ablative armor for your pawns, drawing fire and probably dying so the pawns can get into position and actually win the battle. and in that respect it's competing with a roof-fall trap that is more bang for your buck both figuratively and literally. a roof-fall trap similarly shapes the battlefield, but it does so more aggressively and for a staggering fraction of the price.

Uranium Slug Turrets are pretty easy to site without them getting hit because their optimal range is *incredibly* long relative to most infantry weapons. You can set them far enough back in a proper design that the AI will rarely walk over to shoot them if your colonists are closer; something like this(ten seconds in MS paint):

Autocannon turrets are a lot harder to easily work in because their optimal range is relatively short; you kind of need to work them into your main colonist line or even slightly behind it so they don't catch too much fire. I never had issues with the big turrets having titanic explosion radius, because you can simply build containment walls around each turret and you're usually siting them in a way that they don't catch a lot of fire to begin with because they're expensive to lose and less durable than an armored colonist.

Mini-turrets are ablative armor and bullet catchers, the higher tier turrets are fragile, expensive DPS dispensers.

Turret gameplay in general has suffered enormously and egregiously from the introduction of breachers. It's hard to bait breachers into the vicinity of turret pillboxes without building a shitload of them all around your perimeter(which either entails an insane ballooning wealth cost or a bunch of tiny, ineffectual pillboxes), and ranged breacher varieties(termites, pirates with rocket launchers) are extremely likely to just instantly delete your expensive turret nest in one or two shots due to their insane building bonus damage. I used to use turrets fairly often in endgame setups and now I barely build them at all.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 22, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah if you want to use mini turrets in a packed array you have to build blast baffles between them. Which is totally doable…if you have a kill box to build all of that into the side of.

If you need 3-4 approaches all fortified, and aren’t in a desert so you have the wood available, you can build really cheap, designed to burn and be rebuilt kill zones with trapped bait cover and a side door for your close-ranged shooters and melee to come out of once the booms are done and it’s down to the bangs.

None of that takes steel or components, just stone blocks, wood, and time. Between full cover and flak for the base of fire element, injuries become an existential problem rarely enough that I’ve generally been able to recuperate enough to handle whatever comes next. Then, difficulty decreases again when the first few jump packs go out to the assault element, followed immediately by another decrease when there are enough that the best shooters get them. At that point, snipers can safely skirmish for real, and you get a lot finer control over who in the crowd shows up and in what order, meaning you can choose to either gently caress up the melee element to get more of them in the initial blast zone for the traps, or gently caress up the ranged element so that if there are enough to overflow into the trapped cover, they’re really not going to be an issue.

If you’re running rimefeller, you can even afford to skirmish with all of your rifle-gunners, not just your best shots. The exception to this is mechanoids which I have turned off, and manhunter packs for which I don’t have a fancy approach, I literally line up everyone in two ranks on the approach path, except my best shots. Maybe the melee pawns behind a corner on a flank, so they can close faster and give the medium shooters who also aren’t melee fighters more time to plink.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I like pens but they've hosed up poultry farming! Is there a fix for this?

Previously I would put a handful of males and females in one area for breeding, and then have a different area with a bunch more adult females for laying unfertilized eggs. But with the pens, it's impossible to say "these animals/this many animals go in pen A and these ones go in pen B." The best I can do is totally separate the males and then periodically let the two groups mingle, but it's annoying.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

showbiz_liz posted:

I like pens but they've hosed up poultry farming! Is there a fix for this?

Previously I would put a handful of males and females in one area for breeding, and then have a different area with a bunch more adult females for laying unfertilized eggs. But with the pens, it's impossible to say "these animals/this many animals go in pen A and these ones go in pen B." The best I can do is totally separate the males and then periodically let the two groups mingle, but it's annoying.

I think this is your solution but I haven't tried it myself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2558978295&searchtext=animal+pen

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

I either surround them in walls except for the direction they face the enemy from, or put them out in the open away from everything else and each other.

even granite walls don't really matter. they'll bust 'em down and blast through regardless. complete liability.

Kanos posted:

Uranium Slug Turrets are pretty easy to site without them getting hit because their optimal range is *incredibly* long relative to most infantry weapons. You can set them far enough back in a proper design that the AI will rarely walk over to shoot them if your colonists are closer; something like this(ten seconds in MS paint):

Autocannon turrets are a lot harder to easily work in because their optimal range is relatively short; you kind of need to work them into your main colonist line or even slightly behind it so they don't catch too much fire. I never had issues with the big turrets having titanic explosion radius, because you can simply build containment walls around each turret and you're usually siting them in a way that they don't catch a lot of fire to begin with because they're expensive to lose and less durable than an armored colonist.

Mini-turrets are ablative armor and bullet catchers, the higher tier turrets are fragile, expensive DPS dispensers.

Turret gameplay in general has suffered enormously and egregiously from the introduction of breachers. It's hard to bait breachers into the vicinity of turret pillboxes without building a shitload of them all around your perimeter(which either entails an insane ballooning wealth cost or a bunch of tiny, ineffectual pillboxes), and ranged breacher varieties(termites, pirates with rocket launchers) are extremely likely to just instantly delete your expensive turret nest in one or two shots due to their insane building bonus damage. I used to use turrets fairly often in endgame setups and now I barely build them at all.

this design makes sense on paper but i struggle to think of too many situations where i would've actually used that in a real game. the point of keeping your pawns close enough that the enemy ignores your turrets is a pretty good thought that i hadn't considered, but that also means that you're devoting pretty mind-boggling amounts of space to these designs.

it's good to know that nobody else finds them that useful in the strategic sense, though. i get why turrets were nerfed, in their previous forms they were so powerful that you could automate away a lot of raids, but man it feels like they got hit with the nerf bat way, way too drat hard.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Apologies is this has already been covered, but does anyone know of a mod that helps setting up outfits? Combat Extended allows you to copy loadouts so if you need to make a minor variation of an existing load out, you can, but outfits don’t and now I’m playing with a ton of mods, the amount of apparel I need to configure for a new outfit is driving me nuts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

this design makes sense on paper but i struggle to think of too many situations where i would've actually used that in a real game. the point of keeping your pawns close enough that the enemy ignores your turrets is a pretty good thought that i hadn't considered, but that also means that you're devoting pretty mind-boggling amounts of space to these designs.

It's not really that much space in the context of a gun-based killbox that isn't relying on melee blockers. My normal killbox design is a trap corridor leading into an outlet across from a line of walls/sandbags that are placed at the maximum optimal range of whatever gun types I'm favoring on a particular colony - ~25 tiles for assault rifles, charge rifles, or miniguns, ~12 tiles for chain shotguns/HMGs, with a roof trap in the field between the outlet and the gunline and some spike traps in front of the sandbag gaps to punish any melee leaks. You can just stuff the turrets onto the flanks of that setup easily.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Those thrumbos are no joke. :stonklol:

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!

PiCroft posted:

Apologies is this has already been covered, but does anyone know of a mod that helps setting up outfits? Combat Extended allows you to copy loadouts so if you need to make a minor variation of an existing load out, you can, but outfits don’t and now I’m playing with a ton of mods, the amount of apparel I need to configure for a new outfit is driving me nuts.

Would this help? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541460369

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Those thrumbos are no joke. :stonklol:
They aren't that bad if you have a bunch of ranged attackers since they're still just animals, but yeah since they move fast you're probably going to have a few lost limbs or outright casualties if you can't burst them down since they close to melee quickly and hit like trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Insanity lances or berserk is amazing for "hunting" thrumbos. Let them fight and go kill whoever survives.