Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mine runs straight up and was nearly completely clogged with lint when we moved in.

The next dryer will be a ventless heat pump dryer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mine runs straight up and was nearly completely clogged with lint when we moved in.

The next dryer will be a ventless heat pump dryer.

I have one of these. It does warm up the laundry room a lot. And humidify.

... oh poo poo, I have a condenser dryer! drat it! I thought we'd bought a heat pump, and never stopped to consider WHERE THE HEAT WAS COMING FROM!

Well, drat.

On the bright side, I guess, it helps heat the kitchen during the winter.

drat it!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

I have one of these. It does warm up the laundry room a lot. And humidify.

... oh poo poo, I have a condenser dryer! drat it! I thought we'd bought a heat pump, and never stopped to consider WHERE THE HEAT WAS COMING FROM!

Well, drat.

On the bright side, I guess, it helps heat the kitchen during the winter.

drat it!

We stayed in an AirBNB with one of these, it made the room it was in super hot and took probably 4 hours to dry one load of clothes. It made me appreciate my gas dryer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

This is what we did. The key is being pretty level in the measurements. Also, after the first order we paid the $75 for measuring as well. Some person stopped by and measured out every window in the house in about the time it took us to fret over 1.

We always paid for installation. Another $100 or $150 for unlimited windows installed? All day long. Takes them similar raito of time to install and test them as it would take me to fret over 1. We've done this 3 times and it's always been great. Same guy too, I think he owns the region and just busts them out one or two days a week as a side gig.

Huh, I checked on blinds.com for installation and got some weird robocalls from a place several states a way that I didn't remotely feel comfortable scheduling with.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fallom posted:

Huh, I checked on blinds.com for installation and got some weird robocalls from a place several states a way that I didn't remotely feel comfortable scheduling with.

So did we as I recall. The dude who showed up for us was chill. Didn't murder us, didn't steal anything we noticed, cleaned up the trash as he was supposed to, and left promptly.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

devicenull posted:

We stayed in an AirBNB with one of these, it made the room it was in super hot and took probably 4 hours to dry one load of clothes. It made me appreciate my gas dryer.

I think if you lock it up in a tiny sealed room, a condenser dryer takes forever. It needs to have someplace for the water to dissipate. "The surrounding closet" isn't enough space.

It's also possible you had a crappy dryer. Our Bosch is nice and speedy, despite apparently being an energy hog. :sigh:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I converted one of my spare bedrooms into a gym and a laundry, and the ventless dryer does make it pretty toasty but nothing crazy. I did have to put a pan under it because it wanted to pee the floor while drying bedsheets, but for regular clothes it's absolutely fine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I tried to google around to determine what a reasonable humidity range for a home is, and I got a million different answers. My hygrometer reads 55%, should I buy a dehumidifer?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
These ventless dryers sound a lot worse than vented dryers

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Vim Fuego posted:

The only place I could put the dryer where it could be next to the washing machine and not require a huge new water run was against an interior wall. I deal with it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah, they sound fine as a solution for situations where the vent is a problem. But I'm not gonna hurry to replace my already vented dryer with something where I have to worry about hauling a tray of water out or running a new drain line.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, they sound fine as a solution for situations where the vent is a problem. But I'm not gonna hurry to replace my already vented dryer with something where I have to worry about hauling a tray of water out or running a new drain line.

We used the drain line the washing machine was hooked into and plugged the vent outlet.

But drat am I mad that we replaced our dryer with something that uses *more* energy. We have been trying for a decade to *reduce* our energy use.

I am getting increasing angry about this.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cruft posted:

We used the drain line the washing machine was hooked into and plugged the vent outlet.

But drat am I mad that we replaced our dryer with something that uses *more* energy. We have been trying for a decade to *reduce* our energy use.

Was your old one electric?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Was your old one electric?

Yeah, electric vented dryer. I replaced it thinking condenser meant heat pump, i guess.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I tried to google around to determine what a reasonable humidity range for a home is, and I got a million different answers. My hygrometer reads 55%, should I buy a dehumidifer?

55-60% is perfect and ideal. Our AC has a dehumidifier setting and while you can adjust the goal, 60% is the default.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

QuarkJets posted:

If you feel comfortable then that level is totally fine. Personally I prefer 45-50% and need a dehumidifier in my basement to keep it around that amount.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

QuarkJets posted:

Do you feel comfortable at that humidity? Do any of your cold water pipes sweat / build up condensation?

If you feel good there and don't have condensation issues it's probably fine.

My basement water pipes from the well will develop some condensation and drip water if the humidity gets above 60% and I notice that it's pretty comfortable in the house even above 75F if the humidity is 55% so at our place we keep a dehumidifier going that's set at 55% and we keep the house as close to that as we can. In the winter we end up using a humidifier sometimes. I live in coastal new england so the humidity can go from 90% in the summer to 20-30% in the winter. I find 50-55% to be very comfortable and presents no excess moisture issues inside the house.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I tried to understand the dew point once but failed.

But isn't all of that relates to calculating the (indoor) few point?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

I insulated my house with the blown-in kit from Home Depot. The exterior is (from outside in): 6-coats paint (bottom 4 are lead-based); asbestos siding; 3/4" dutch lap, 3/4" tongue & groove sheathing. Used a diamond hole saw to cut the siding, then a 1/4" smaller diameter hole saw to cut through the sheathing.

As Motronic said: if you are concerned about the dust, wear a good mask or respirator, and wet the area down. Once you get through the siding - which won't take long - it's all wood from there on in.

On the inside, tape a paper bag underneath & across the area where you'll be cutting your hole, it should catch everything.

I didn't take any precautions, but I'm an old bastard & don't care.

For just drilling into AC shingles, shaving cream is reasonably ok. I’d still wear a respirator, but if you work quickly (and it’s not a super hot day) the foam traps the dust and you can just scape it into a bag. Good if you’re working by yourself and don’t want to try to hold a hose and drill at the same time. If you’re using a hole saw it wouldn’t really work.

There are also hepa-filtered tool shrouds you can rent, although I doubt the rental house would appreciate you sucking asbestos fibers through it.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

falz posted:

Dew point and % humidity are directly related, yeah.

Air can hold more water the warmer it is, so a room at 60F and 50% humidity would have more water in the air than a room at 80F and 50% humidity. That means if the temperature stayed the same and you ran a dehumidifier until all the water was removed, the dehumidifier in the 80F room would have more water in the dehumidifier basin. For fun lets say the 60F room had 1 gallon of water in the air, the 80F room had 2 gallons.

If you took that same 80F room and decreased the temperature without changing how much water was in the air, the %humidity would increase (because there are still 2 gallons of water vapor in the air). At a certain point of cooling down, the 2 gallons of water would be too much water vapor for the air (100% humidity), and it would start to form as water droplets as the room continued to cool. The temperature where it hits 100% humidity and starts to form as water droplets is the dew point.

For the purposes of interpreting dew point in weather forecasts, it pretty much just means the closer the dew point is to the actual temperature, the more saturated the air is with water, and the more humid it feels.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 21, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

falz posted:

Air can hold more moisture when it's warmer. As the air cools, for a given amount of moisture in the air, eventually water will have to condense out because the air can't hold as much moisture anymore. The temperature where that happens is the dew point.

Edit: ^^^^^ Yeah that

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Ultimately, dew point/RH% is important for things like basements because they tend to be cooler than the rest of the house. As humid air (say 60% RH) moves down to the basement, it gets cooled and the RH% goes up (>60% RH). This can make it hit the dewpoint on cool surfaces like the walls/floor and lead to condensation. This (now liquid) water is what mold/mildew craves, and will rapidly multiply on most common household surfaces. This is especially bad if the temp remains somewhat warm (>60F) in the basement at those high humidity levels, because the mold grows faster at warmer temps.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I'm following up on my own post with more details, in case it helps someone else.

The heat pump dryer we'd replace this with needs the ambient temperature to be between 15 and 30° (59-86F). This wasn't stated in the spec sheet, I had to search the owner's manual to find it.

Because our laundry room is detached from the house, and because we live in a mountain town, this is totally unworkable for us. We would have to run an electric resistance heater to raise the temperature of the laundry room, which would negate any energy savings from the more efficient heat pump dryer.

So we're sticking with what we have.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

This house doesn't have a vent and it would be a pain in the rear end to put one in, but the combo washer/dryer (which came with the place brand new) works pretty well for me and is fairly energy efficient :shrug:. With a huge family I would want something that dries faster, but I just toss poo poo in the hole, put in some laundry detergent, and come back to clean laundry a few hours later.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol well this was already gonna happen cause POs royally hosed up basically all the trim, like dig this:

The sequel:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wallet posted:

This house doesn't have a vent and it would be a pain in the rear end to put one in, but the combo washer/dryer (which came with the place brand new) works pretty well for me and is fairly energy efficient :shrug:. With a huge family I would want something that dries faster, but I just toss poo poo in the hole, put in some laundry detergent, and come back to clean laundry a few hours later.

That sounds amazing. No joke, I'm a little jealous.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Wait what was holding it on? Thoughts and prayers??

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

Wait what was holding it on? Thoughts and prayers??

Lol, we did pop the nails outta all the trim before tossing it. But there were two 6ft sections held on with two nails only, then multiple <2ft sections with 4-6 nails and glue :psyduck:

Pulled up the entire first floor today before noon though, because the only actual fasteners were 3 screws underneath the transitions. So the POs absolute idiocy and fuckbrainery actually helped us out this time! We were gifted with their masterful cuts:

And they even left us some drywall patch mesh stuff as a gift! They just hid it! ...under the floor?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Wtf. I cant tell what type of floor that is but in case anyone wants to install vinyl plank more easily.. instead of cutting the floor like a psychopath, use an oscillating saw to cut out under and around the trim area. Oh And of course take all of the trim off first, so this is mainly useful around door frames.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That’s carpet seam tape. Still doesn’t make sense for it to be there though :confused:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Some of my LVP cuts are similarly janky and I'm not sorry because it's all hidden under trims and baseboards. :colbert:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

skipdogg posted:

That’s carpet seam tape. Still doesn’t make sense for it to be there though :confused:

That's from the previously installed carpet. They just didn't remove it!

Lucky they at least removed the carpet before laying the planks down

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Vim Fuego posted:

They also never actually adhered it properly. Like, I just picked that up. It wasn't stuck to anything. They just... set it there. Then put other poo poo on top of it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
An unassisted gravity installation may be allowed by the flooring manufacturer. You can check the product manual

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vim Fuego posted:

Lucky they at least removed the carpet before laying the planks down

I have been in a home where they laid snaplock laminate right over the carpet. Whole time I was there I felt like I was drunk.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I have been in a home where they laid snaplock laminate right over the carpet. Whole time I was there I felt like I was drunk.

The absolute worst flooring decision I've ever seen was a fixer upper my buddy bought. Hammered original hardwood floors (which have been sanded and refinished and are gorgeous now) with 1/2 drywall over them and tile on top.

When he bought the place it was well into having failed and the normal traffic paths were all........crunchy.

Who the hell comes up with these ideas? We don't even have a serious meth problem around here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cruft posted:

The russians just used a clothesline

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

An unassisted gravity installation may be allowed by the flooring manufacturer. You can check the product manual

:psyduck: this is sarcasm, right?

I love the distribution of holes here:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Truant posted:

:psyduck: this is sarcasm, right?

I love the distribution of holes here:

I think it's inevitable at some point you're going to just be finding bloodstains and obvious fingernail marks behind all this lovely drywall, wallpaper and linoleum at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

punished