Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I'm sure you guys are well aware of Rupert Read. I wasn't. For the last few years he's been on it a la dome video. Rather than reposting his two year old lectures that are exactly correct, here is a recent interview.

https://youtu.be/-FiA58M0izU

Here is a lil guy who is advocating for a revolution and probably got his start I'm Read's non violent civil disobedience group Extinction Rebellion (UK Green Party affiliation)

https://youtu.be/c8u5BfY1LcA

Important to note, Read doesn't seem to think this tactic will work. He thinks it remotely has a chance and for that and some other largely ethical reasons thinks it ought to be tried regardless.

In case anyone hasnt seen his original dome video doom speech...

https://youtu.be/uzCxFPzdO0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

EvilJoven posted:

FYI 'A Full Life' is a story that should be thrown into the dumpster because it paints the 'Lets travel the world' hippie as the villain for not curbing her individual actions while the investment banker uncle is the hero despite participating in the industry that lead the planet around by the nose and destroyed the world.

you missed the point for the most part if you think Paolo is saying do individual action. it’s a slice of life of what someone could experience and think in the not far future. is it nonfic or a manifesto, no

Xaris has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Sep 21, 2021

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
All these posts about "duh, chemicals are killing the bugs" are technically correct but not interesting. The phenomenon has obvious accelerated in recent years, and what specifically is causing it is an interesting question. Something has spread globally that is causing this above and beyond the normal background poisoning our civilization creates. It's akin to the realization that CFCS killed the ozone back in the day..

I don't think finding out will help anything of course, but I would like to read biologists opine on the subject.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Critical mass imo, habitats are too fractured and monoculture is too pervasive to maintain breeding populations in the face of all the chemicals etc, and so we've hit the Seneca cliff for bugs.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Basic Poster posted:

In case anyone hasnt seen his original dome video doom speech...

https://youtu.be/uzCxFPzdO0Y

my favourite thing about this video is he just looks so goddamned tired and i'm here for it

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Xaris posted:

you missed the point for the most part if you think Paolo is saying do individual action. it’s a slice of life of what someone could experience and think in the not far future. is it nonfic or a manifesto, no

aunt Nona was the hero

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There were no heroes.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
^^^^^^^^^ we did it! every climate thread perspective on one page

Torpor posted:

aunt Nona was the hero

every character is a hero. everybody goes right along consuming and migrating and consuming. it’s a beautiful story about stage 4 humanity. the author isn’t uplifting any character over another. everybody makes their own small contribution to the great common purpose.

Wakko has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Sep 21, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Critical mass imo, habitats are too fractured and monoculture is too pervasive to maintain breeding populations in the face of all the chemicals etc, and so we've hit the Seneca cliff for bugs.

I took a 3 hr train ride today and as we passed dead tilled field after dead tilled field this was pretty much all I could think about. I wish people knew how alive the soil is and how devastating tillage is. There's an entire food web living in the soil, all interconnected. Bugs don't hit our windshields anymore because they don't have anything to loving eat, we've starved them all.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

ksr on the latest chapo talkin climate

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

IAMKOREA posted:

I took a 3 hr train ride today and as we passed dead tilled field after dead tilled field this was pretty much all I could think about. I wish people knew how alive the soil is and how devastating tillage is. There's an entire food web living in the soil, all interconnected. Bugs don't hit our windshields anymore because they don't have anything to loving eat, we've starved them all.

*Sudden mental image of picking up a clod of farmed dirt and feeling it crumble and break because that's all it is, just dirt, literally nothing but dead dirt*

"Just like my soul"

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

MightyBigMinus posted:

ksr on the latest chapo talkin climate

pure cope.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm so tired of trying to exist and find companionship in this poo poo. People either bail once the "where do you see yourself long term" talk happens or refuse to believe me and try to fix me. It's all finally happening just like we knew it would for my whole life and still it's "you're crazy, that couldn't happen." "Why would you think something like that, do you want to be miserable?"

The human capacity for denial is just incredible. The fact that anyone still goes to work despite the obvious looming in their face is stunning. It's one of those days where I want to lmao, but I can only sadly lol.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
wanna be there during that first date where car hater just goes off like a madman. keep shining you bright star.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Xeom posted:

wanna be there during that first date where car hater just goes off like a madman. keep shining you bright star.
same

i'd love to be a fly on the window, but well, they're all dead

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

who needs outside when you have domes

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

maybe domes aren't your thing, that's ok too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

or maybe you're looking for a colder indoor experience

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

or maybe just a cozy indoor space

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So we're headed towards a Silent Running future aren't we?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Car Hater posted:

It's this. Much like a lot of life growth is exponential and non-linear, extinction is likewise similar. At first you'll have small impacts at slow decline, only marginally noticeble, and then building up faster. there's no panacea to find like oh it turns out computers end up emitting ultrasonic waves that fry brains (only in humans). there's no linear relationship in it. as breeding gets harder when population collapses, that further collapses, which furthers desperation for others to eat what they can until preys also implode, with some oscillations. And it applies and affects the entire chain.

and there's not really anywhere to go anymore when a habitat here-and-there get obliterated.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://scitechdaily.com/deadwood-releasing-10-9-gigatons-of-carbon-every-year-more-than-all-fossil-fuel-emissions-combined/

quote:

Decaying wood releases around 10.9 gigatons of carbon worldwide every year, according to a new study by an international team of scientists.

This is roughly equivalent to 115 percent of fossil fuel emissions.

Co-author of the study Professor David Lindenmayer from The Australian National University (ANU) says it’s the first time researchers have been able to quantify the contribution of deadwood to the global carbon cycle.

“Until now, little has been known about the role of dead trees,” Professor Lindenmayer said.

“We know living trees play a vital role in absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. But up until now, we didn’t know what happens when those trees decompose. It turns out, it has a massive impact.”

Professor Lindenmayer said the decomposition is driven by natural processes including temperature and insects.

“The decomposition of wood and the recycling of those nutrients is a critically important process in forests,” he said.

The research showed decomposition can’t happen without wood-boring insects such as Longicorn Beetles.

“We knew insects such as termites and wood-boring Longicorn beetles can accelerate deadwood decomposition,” study co-author Dr. Marisa Stone from Griffith University said.

“But until now, we didn’t know how much they contribute to deadwood carbon release globally.

“Insects accounted for 29% of deadwood carbon release each year. However, their role was disproportionately greater within the tropics and had little effect in regions of low temperatures.”

The global research project encompassed 55 forest areas on six continents. The research team studied wood from more than 140 tree species to determine the influence of climate on the rate of decomposition.

“Half the wood was placed in mesh cages which kept out insects, allowing us to study their contribution,” Professor Lindenmayer said.

“We found both the rate of decomposition and the contribution of insects are highly dependent on the climate, and will increase as temperatures rise. Higher levels of precipitation accelerate the decomposition in warmer regions and slow it down in lower temperature regions.”

Tropical forests contribute 93 percent of all carbon released by deadwood, due to their high wood mass and rapid rates of decomposition.

The study was led by Dr. Sebastian Seibold from the Technical University of Munich.

“At a time of global change, we can see some dramatic declines in biodiversity and changes in climate,” Dr. Seibold said.

“This study has demonstrated that both climate change and the loss of insects have the potential to alter the decomposition of wood, and therefore, carbon and nutrient cycles worldwide.”

The study has been published in Nature.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
VIVA

LOS BIODOME!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Car Hater posted:

I'm so tired of trying to exist and find companionship in this poo poo. People either bail once the "where do you see yourself long term" talk happens or refuse to believe me and try to fix me. It's all finally happening just like we knew it would for my whole life and still it's "you're crazy, that couldn't happen." "Why would you think something like that, do you want to be miserable?"

The human capacity for denial is just incredible. The fact that anyone still goes to work despite the obvious looming in their face is stunning. It's one of those days where I want to lmao, but I can only sadly lol.

"So what do you do for a living"
"I stare into the cold inescapable abyss"
"Is that a... literary reference?"
"No, we are all dead. The world is dead. Everything is dead. The message hasn't been received by our brains"
"Bro, I am not Padme. You aren't getting a second date if you talk about killing all the women and children too."

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Xeom posted:

I generally don't broach it on the first date unless it's going really well. People don't like having their fantasies about the future shut down in a romantic context. Then again I've only been on two since I went completely insane all over again this past year. I had it contained for a while there but lol lmao.

*Sigh* What I really miss is terrifying my congresscritters. I think I'll do that again this fall as they start to gear up for primaries. It's time to ask the followup question to my harassment in 2018 - "Given warning, what they have done in their term to prepare us for the collapse of industrial civilization?"

E;

Rectal Death Adept posted:

"So what do you do for a living"
"I stare into the cold inescapable abyss"
"Is that a... literary reference?"
"No, we are all dead. The world is dead. Everything is dead. The message hasn't been received by our brains"
"Bro, I am not Padme. You aren't getting a second date if you talk about killing all the women and children too."

nah more like "So what do you want?" gets a range of responses (depending on how long it's been and how hard someone has been trying to convince themselves that I don't really mean it) from
"Well I just want someone to hold hands with as we go over the cliff"
to
"[The contents of my posting]"

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Sep 21, 2021

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Xaris posted:

i'd love to be a fly on the window, but well, they're all dead

same, car hater you should gopro some of these. i bet there's youtube money to be had

i legit can't imagine hooking up for the dying of all lights and somehow being sad about it. okcupid's "not having kids and its very important" slapped back in the day

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Car Hater posted:

I generally don't broach it on the first date unless it's going really well. People don't like having their fantasies about the future shut down in a romantic context. Then again I've only been on two since I went completely insane all over again this past year. I had it contained for a while there but lol lmao.

*Sigh* What I really miss is terrifying my congresscritters. I think I'll do that again this fall as they start to gear up for primaries. It's time to ask the followup question to my harassment in 2018 - "Given warning, what they have done in their term to prepare us for the collapse of industrial civilization?"

you need a garden and Buddhism asap bro

e: at least that's how i deal with it

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
only go full doomsday rant on the first date if it’s going well. the doom and gloom almost made me forget this is place is full of goons.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The garden died in the heat wave and there weren't any bugs anyway so it was depressing. You should have seen how phenomenally excited I was for this hornworm caterpillar this time last year, hang on I'll find it.

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Sep 21, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Car Hater posted:

The garden died in the heat wave and there weren't any bugs anyway so it was depressing. You should have seen how phenomenally excited I was for this hornworm caterpillar this time last year, hang on I'll find it.

oh man that sucks. i hope you don't stop trying to garden. you might have better luck with insects if you grow lots and lots of wild plants in your garden. the easiest way is to just let the weeds that come up grow here and there, insects love them. did you mulch? straw or woodchip mulch is a godsend in hot climates.

^^^ thats a kickin rad caterpillar

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Car Hater posted:

"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist."
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Based on historical precedent if we try to start a goondome somewhere it will end up being covered in filth with at least one person dead and then someone actually will discover a magical solution to climate change to spite us

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
i can already smell the cum socks.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
“cum socks are the environmentally friendly option”

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
living in their moms basement, consuming only the cheapest of cheese covered gruel, only power use being their pc, never leave their house, and never wash or bath.

folks goons have been fighting climate change since the start.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
If our goondome is big enough, we might need a rapid transit option from a higher part of the dome to a lower part. Some kind of zipline maybe.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Car Hater posted:

I've been hearing this for the past couple years but I must have been living in one of the places this hasn't occurred yet, the general vicinity of the Great Dismal Swamp. I'm no longer there and don't drive around the countryside as much but when I lived in eastern NC my car was always a Jackson Pollock of bugs by the end of every long drive.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

If our goondome is big enough, we might need a rapid transit option from a higher part of the dome to a lower part. Some kind of zipline maybe.

Given supply shortages would goondome be able to source enough structural grade drywall?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
groverdöm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

kinda glad i didn't go with my childhood dream of being an entomologist