Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Clarste posted:

One thing I noticed is that the Perpetual Machine Array is at the bottom of a long puzzle-dungeon place that leads to the bottom of the ocean, but you can also just teleport directly to it from a nearby island (which to be fair isn't exactly signposted). I thought that was an interesting way to handle making the boss both easily available and also the reward for exploration.

The underground dungeon path is also the only one with a teleporter so if you want to farm the boss and haven't found it yet (or haven't done the sidequest that makes it accessible), you'll need to either trek out to the island every time or leave one of those 7-day teleport waypoints in the boss arena.
Once you unlock the teleporter for real it's a nice feeling and a big convenience boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

just remember that if you're not running all 3 in abyss, you can always take a spear off somebody and put it elsewhere. Its kinda hard to imagine an abyss comp that runs xiangling AND hu tao, since both of them want xingqiu to vape, unless you're gonna use Childe or Kokomi for Xiangling, or run a Ganyu reverse melt with xiangling instead
also true. ill probably have to reorganize my teams once i get hu tao, but, funny ghost

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
not running a healer in the open world seems like a pain in the rear end, I don't get why people ever recommend it. it's not that anything out there is particularly tough, but a tiny bit of damage here and there adds up after a while, so you're gonna eat food or teleport to the statue eventually

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This is driving me nuts; this popped up a while ago and when i'm in the teapot it shows an exclamation point indicating something in Teyvat needs my attention but I don't know what it means and have no indicatiors. Googling this is impossible.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
when you're on the teyvat world map it should be one of the notices in the top left corner like "your 500 stacks of cheese are done cooking" or "you have something to pick up from the forge" or "an expedition has returned".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

padijun posted:

not running a healer in the open world seems like a pain in the rear end, I don't get why people ever recommend it. it's not that anything out there is particularly tough, but a tiny bit of damage here and there adds up after a while, so you're gonna eat food or teleport to the statue eventually

I teleport to statues pretty frequently, yeah, but I mostly run around with three useless characters plus shogun so I can get them all friendship doing commissions and such.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

silvergoose posted:

I teleport to statues pretty frequently, yeah, but I mostly run around with three useless characters plus shogun so I can get them all friendship doing commissions and such.

I do have Sayu as a healer but my current friendship team is Sayu, Ningguang, Lisa, and Yoimiya. I'm pretty certain I've created an anti-synergy team

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

when you're on the teyvat world map it should be one of the notices in the top left corner like "your 500 stacks of cheese are done cooking" or "you have something to pick up from the forge" or "an expedition has returned".

Those have specific icons that go along with them and no, i don't have anything showing up hence why i'm so confused. I would assume it's like if you have a quest but I don't have any quests. It's been there for at least some days if not longer, although i couldn't pinpoint when it first appeared to try and narrow things down.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Looks like the current event expedition symbol. Have you talked to Inazuma Katherine recently?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

i'm pretty certain it showed up before this new event started

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

padijun posted:

the secret is most of the people reccing it are hyperwhales who already have every character farmed up and so barely engage with the open world

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah for all my complaints about qiqi being the worst character (c1... ugh. please give me mona game!) shes almost always in my overworld party, simply so I dont have to worry about food or statues. Sure bennet heals better than her, but I dont want 70% hp on the overworld!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Qiqi is also very op for having people not die when doing the new boss in co-op. Which is fun! But seriously, that boss just drains your health over the course of the fight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, looking at other people's Raidens, I'm starting to feel like I should try to buy her polearm. But I'm still hesitant because The Catch is free and since she's not doing even 4k damage reliably I'm not super enthusiastic on keeping her just yet.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I think the catch is something like 90% as good as Raiden’s 5 star weapon. To me, it would just be a looks thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Man, looking at other people's Raidens, I'm starting to feel like I should try to buy her polearm. But I'm still hesitant because The Catch is free and since she's not doing even 4k damage reliably I'm not super enthusiastic on keeping her just yet.
Do not whale hard on her spear if you arent super into her. The catch is nearly as good.

Like, R5 catch versus r1 lightning is a difference of 35kish damage across her entire rotation, when shes doing 200k-235k unbuffed and 300k-335k buffed. it doesnt even scale up with buffs, its always the flat 35ishk difference. you can see the numbers in this sheet.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 21, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RareAcumen posted:

That damage boost you're seeing is mostly C2 and C3, maybe along with sara C6.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The underground dungeon path is also the only one with a teleporter so if you want to farm the boss and haven't found it yet (or haven't done the sidequest that makes it accessible), you'll need to either trek out to the island every time or leave one of those 7-day teleport waypoints in the boss arena.
Once you unlock the teleporter for real it's a nice feeling and a big convenience boost.

well if you're dumping resin there you can at least just walk off into the corner and log out, and it'll respawn after a short wait.

but yeah, one of the many inconveniences and i do agree it felt like all the stuff i really wanted in Inazuma was locked behind a long weekend exploration session. except array, which just felt like cheating to access that way but w/e.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is the catch a free weapon once you’ve progressed far enough in the story quest?

Also why not use noelle as a healer instead of Barbara?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

As others have said, dont whale on her weapon. You'll just need to fish for a very long time. R5 catch is crazy good. Gives you a buff to elemental burst damage plus a slight boost to busrt crit rate. Both great for her. And Xiangling.

Speaking of Xiangling, the best way to boost Raidens damage is pairing her with well built Xiangling and Bennet. For attack boost buff and crazy overload damage.

Also, grind the emblem of severed fate dungeon forever. Thats very important.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Is the catch a free weapon once you’ve progressed far enough in the story quest?

Catch is free and not time gated. You just need to progress to Inazuma and do the fishing side quest.

For straight up healing Barbara will be better. But Noelle provides healing along with a shield and damage. Sort of a jack of all trades. So if you want your healer to do a bit of dps, then you can slot in Noelle. If you're just looking for healing you can stick with Barbara. Barbara also can apply hydro and use Thrilling Tales to buff.

C6 really helps Neolle shine as dps though. As well as geo resonance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

The catch is unlocked from fishing. You need specific fish with gated respawn timers, so you'll probably have to be at it for a month or so to get it to R5, unless you fish up other people's worlds. But it's free, and the amount of fishing you have to do at once isn't that high, so it's not too bad.

You unlock fishing at AR30, and you have to have unlocked Inazuma to trade for it. But if you're already AR30 but not at Inazuma yet you can go ahead and unlock fishing since it unlocks in Monstadt, and most of the fish you need are in Monstadt and Liyue, so you can get a head start on it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

reddit is gonna implode in on itself like a dying star over those anniversary events

They're really determined to grand stand about this one for months on end now. Anyway this doesn't come as too much of a shock to me but Japan really seems to love the Inazuma characters. Like they just seem to have ignored all the crap about how bad Raiden, Kokomi and Yoimiya are and just gone for their banners no more or less than Ayaka and Kazuha it seems. Its probably because they are cute and have super popular Japanese VAs I imagine which for Japan overrides any and all other concerns most days of the week. Like when your threatening and even temporarily displacing Uma Musume Horse Idol racing game with the Kokomi banner on App Star charts (which is like the be all end all gacha game there lately) it kind of says a lot about how none of the poo poo people have been on about with her applies over there. Also Suzuko Mimori is a known quantity over there too whereas at best outside of Japan shes maybe recognized for Love Live School Idol Project.

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 21, 2021

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
When are you supposed to worry about getting good artifacts? All the guides mention 4*/5* star sets which I don't think I can get yet (AR30, characters lv.40 or so). Right now I'm just chucking on whichever 3*/4* artifacts have numbers that aren't DEF or HP.

Same with weapons actually. A lot of the good 4* weapons seem to be gacha so I'm just using Favonius $WEAPON_TYPE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Redmark posted:

When are you supposed to worry about getting good artifacts? All the guides mention 4*/5* star sets which I don't think I can get yet (AR30, characters lv.40 or so). Right now I'm just chucking on whichever 3*/4* artifacts have numbers that aren't DEF or HP.

Same with weapons actually. A lot of the good 4* weapons seem to be gacha so I'm just using Favonius $WEAPON_TYPE.
Ar40 at earliest tbh. Dont bother going hard farming them until ar45. Do not worry at all about them now.

Theres decent f2p 4* weapons but a lot of them require some kinda time investment. So again, dont worry about them now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Redmark posted:

Most of the craftable weapons are strong, your biggest power boost at your AR is maxing your weapon as much as possible, then skills as much as you can, and just slap good 2 piece sets like gladiator or whatever you find and boost their artifact levels to like +16 on your main carry.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Garrand posted:

This is driving me nuts; this popped up a while ago and when i'm in the teapot it shows an exclamation point indicating something in Teyvat needs my attention but I don't know what it means and have no indicatiors. Googling this is impossible.

mine is doing this too, seems like a new bug.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

They're really determined to grand stand about this one for months on end now. Anyway this doesn't come as too much of a shock to me but Japan really seems to love the Inazuma characters. Like they just seem to have ignored all the crap about how bad Raiden, Kokomi and Yoimiya are and just gone for their banners no more or less than Ayaka and Kazuha it seems. Its probably because they are cute and have super popular Japanese VAs I imagine which for Japan overrides any and all other concerns most days of the week. Like when your threatening and even temporarily displacing Uma Musume Horse Idol racing game with the Kokomi banner on App Star charts (which is like the be all end all gacha game there lately) it kind of says a lot about how none of the poo poo people have been on about with her applies over there. Also Suzuko Mimori is a known quantity over there too whereas at best outside of Japan shes maybe recognized for Love Live School Idol Project.
Reddit is really convinced that people roll while only caring about the meta for some reason. like the idea of people rolling just cause they like a character or the characters design or va barely occurs to them

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raiden is extremely meta though, at all levels of investment. This is just a case where conventional opinion was 100% wrong.

You can play her as sub dps battery/electro reactions enabler at C0/favonius. You can play her as a semi carry at c0 + catch 5 with proper supports. You can play her as a hard carry at c2 and at insane speed comps with other tooled up characters. Just at C3 really she's in those speed comps, whereas other hyper carries are at C6.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 21, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Raiden is extremely meta though, at all levels of investment. This is just a case where conventional opinion was 100% wrong.

Conventional opinion ought to be "archon == roll"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Raiden is cool, powerful, and voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Today, while messing around at the Asase Shrine, I learnt two things.

The first is that the Provisional Head Priestess is named 寝子 (pronounced 'neko', meaning sleepy child) and not 猫 (pronounced 'neko', meaning cat). On the one hand, this means that there was actually some thought put into naming Neko. On the other hand, it means that Hibiki liked terrible puns.

The second is that using Jean's hold E skill on a gaggle of cats is absolutely hilarious and anyone with a Jean should go try it out. They sound so outraged. I can't stop.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

Reddit is really convinced that people roll while only caring about the meta for some reason. like the idea of people rolling just cause they like a character or the characters design or va barely occurs to them

The narrative seems to be both this and that because the players made Mihoyo a multi billion dollar company they owe them...some undisclosed amount of free stuff this anniversary (nothing specific of course that would require further thought) and that its just a travesty and blahblahblah and anyone who says otherwise is a shill etc. If there was any serious thought put into it I'd say i get it somewhat but it just seems like something to complain about for most people and feel like they are making some sort of big stand. This is a thing with gamers in general lately though. This tendency to see the relationship between consumer and producer as purely adversarial. Like again theres probably a good point to make here they just aren't really doing it well.

After both Yoimiya and Raiden turning out way better than people said they were supposed to be I'm also just kind of done listening to people pre bitch about characters as well.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 21, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TV Zombie posted:

Noelle can't heal without spending a lot of time standing on the field hitting stuff. If she's underinvested and not doing as much damage as your other characters, it ends up slowing you down a lot. Meanwhile barb can heal just fine with low investment.
If you juice up your noelle she can hit super hard during her burst though, and you can even run teams based around using her as your main damage-dealer and constantly feeding her energy to keep the lightsaber turned on.

The catch is a free weapon but it's not from the story quest. It's from grinding away at the fishing minigame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

The narrative seems to be both this and that because the players made Mihoyo a multi billion dollar company they owe them...some undisclosed amount of free stuff this anniversary (nothing specific of course that would require further thought) and that its just a travesty and blahblahblah and anyone who says otherwise is a shill etc. If there was any serious thought put into it I'd say i get it somewhat but it just seems like something to complain about for most people and feel like they are making some sort of big stand. This is a thing with gamers in general lately though. This tendency to see the relationship between consumer and producer as purely adversarial. Like again theres probably a good point to make here they just aren't really doing it well.
To be fair most gacha anniversaries are way more generous than this and if there's really nothing else besides the 10 wishes and the contests, I agree it's worth complaining about. Like Granblue gives hundreds of free rolls, FGO gives a free 4* selector and tons of new features, etc. Of course, they're probably waiting until teh actual anniversary to reveal anything super impressive if they've got anything.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hazdoc posted:

people are lying if they say they get by just fine without healers

they're either
A) using zhongli, who more or less occupies the same role as a healer. If you're running a geo team, but don't have zhongli, you're just in denial
B) running a freeze/phys team, but they're probably running diona half the time, who is both a healer AND a shielder, and they are running a team without diona they're lying or doing reset runs on abyss with ganyu/ayaka freeze
C) a weirdo who tries to "heal" with xingqiu to maximize their DPS, but in reality they're either visiting statues every other fight or unironically popping xingqiu's E out of combat to get the tiny heal off it
D) running a pyro or electro team and no defensive character, in which case they are the biggest liars in the universe, because you're going to burn and electrocute yourself every 2 loving seconds, especially if any of your characters are klee or raiden

E) a actual true weirdo who thinks wasting a trillion hours grinding food items to make food and constantly eat it is a better idea than just bringing a healer, these people are also fond of characters like amber, lisa, the MC, and chongyun, and try to be quirky and cool but actually they've got their world level turned down because they're cowards

i hope i didn't call anyone out

F) You run Hu Tao, in which case the problem is her health is too high.

When you're running your commissions or domains, your health doesn't really matter because if you're getting hit you're doing it wrong. Every single time I die in domains or bosses, it's because I either got cocky and tried to pump out my newest MAX DPS combo while ignoring the enemy or I'm in multiplayer and I misjudge where the enemy is attacking.

E) also isn't weird, since radish soup is just radishes and mint. I make them in batches of 200 at a time. They work great when your characters are less than level 80, and not too bad after that. Filling up 80% of a characters health from empty to full isn't a bad trade off in the overworld.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Between Hu Tao burst and the trickle of healing from XQ I've never had that team have health problems in the overworld.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Normally I use healers, this abyss floor 12 I used prototype amber mona as a healer for side 1. You can use healers or not but I'd never imply healers are totally redundant/obsolete.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Endorph posted:

To be fair most gacha anniversaries are way more generous than this and if there's really nothing else besides the 10 wishes and the contests, I agree it's worth complaining about. Like Granblue gives hundreds of free rolls, FGO gives a free 4* selector and tons of new features, etc. Of course, they're probably waiting until teh actual anniversary to reveal anything super impressive if they've got anything.

from the test server the event respawns a bunch of chests in liyue iirc. im guessing we're getting more primos overall rather than another 4 star. picking from the 4 stars is less useful for paying customers, so i wonder how well received the CNY event was in that regard. iirc i got a c6 from that event, but i could have just purchased it from the shop instead so it was a net savings of a bit of dust.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
To the people complaining about repetitive Inazuma commissions: follow the Asase Shrine questline; it'll unlock another chain of daily commission quests when you finish the first part. I think they're weighted pretty heavily in the commission randomizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Xingqiu + Ningguang is enough healing for overworld purposes if you sacrifice Ningguang's DPS and give her a Prototype Amber. The duo generates a huge amount of energy allowing Ningguang to burst on CD which basically means you have a constant HP regen on your entire party. Coupled with basically infinite crystallize shields and Xingqiu's extra healing that's easily enough to sustain yourself through the overworld without ever eating food or stopping by a statue.