Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

the inscrutable New Zealander and his Confucian value system
ah yes, new xi-land, i recommend visiting sometime and to climb the peaks of aoraki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
*bows solemnly*

there is much wisdom in that land

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm almost done with reading a biography on Deng and not only did he consider himself to be a communist through-and-through, he himself was struggling against the liberals and the roaders that wanted China to open up even more than he already did

it's unfortunate that Deng is routinely portrayed as this rightist or capitalist in sheep's clothing by a surface-level perception of the relationship as juxtaposed against Maoism, and I'm beginning to understand why R Guy had such an allergic reaction to the use of the term "Dengism" as though it was an entirely separate school of thought that's worthy of distinction. At worst, Deng was the moderate, the pragmatist who got things done.

poo poo, i might have to read that book, it sounds fascinating. i've really only read a few of his speeches but they were pretty loving straightforward; he wanted productive forces to get the country off the ground and the people out of poverty. it really wasn't some secret sneak attack plan against the US, they were pretty open about what they were trying to do, but deng also knew that hamming up awe over the developed world and putting on the cowboy hat, literally and figuratively, would lead the western capitalists to believe what they wanted to believe. it didn't have to be this big conspiratorial secret, it could be and was done all out in the open.

i think he also had more of a hand in that there aren't really deng worshippers or a powerful cabal of unironic dengists than we may know; he very clearly saw this period of building productive forces as a transition phase and there's a lot of people in politics, even in china, who start worshipping methods that bring results and trying to apply them to wildly inapplicable material conditions. this is also called the dialectics coming to a screeching halt and ending in disaster. i'd like to know more about some of the inside baseball of what the party was like between zemin and jintao, and then jintao to xi eras, like what various factions and cliques were fighting about. from what i understand, some "dengists" still had a lot of power and influence in the party and xi's clique is what finally wrested control away from them. my best guess is that deng continued and highly encouraged open self-crit sessions, which made it harder for people to do that thing where they dogmatically follow a method and hide the disasters that causes from everyone else to protect their ego.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
No nazis in ukraine!

https://twitter.com/Mango_Press_/status/1440086092074549249

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hot witch divorcee posted:

i think he also had more of a hand in that there aren't really deng worshippers or a powerful cabal of unironic dengists than we may know; he very clearly saw this period of building productive forces as a transition phase and there's a lot of people in politics, even in china, who start worshipping methods that bring results and trying to apply them to wildly inapplicable material conditions. this is also called the dialectics coming to a screeching halt and ending in disaster. i'd like to know more about some of the inside baseball of what the party was like between zemin and jintao, and then jintao to xi eras, like what various factions and cliques were fighting about. from what i understand, some "dengists" still had a lot of power and influence in the party and xi's clique is what finally wrested control away from them. my best guess is that deng continued and highly encouraged open self-crit sessions, which made it harder for people to do that thing where they dogmatically follow a method and hide the disasters that causes from everyone else to protect their ego.

yeah the book is going to peter-out after Deng (ofc it's a biography lol) but we've just been introduced to Jiang Zemin as a Shanghai party boss that worked to repress a proto-Tiananmen in 1986 and I wanna see what happens next

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah the book is going to peter-out after Deng (ofc it's a biography lol) but we've just been introduced to Jiang Zemin as a Shanghai party boss that worked to repress a proto-Tiananmen in 1986 and I wanna see what happens next

as i recall the actual tienanmen protests are why zemin was president in the first place, i forget names offhand but there were some party members (one in particular?) that were being primed to lead the party after deng but hosed up bigtime with the tienanmen square protests and were purged. zemin was always more of a good hatchetman that got poo poo done mostly without drawing a lot of attention to himself, but stepped up when circumstances called for it; in other words he was exactly the kind of guy who would become the first internet meme in china for SOMETIMES SIMPLE, ALWAYS NAIVE

western media doesn't understand hong kong elections or their relation to the mainland and cpc to this day 😔

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lmao "social trust"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

letting the ukraine break away from Russia, yet another crime of Gorby

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/chow_global/status/1440160973168381952?s=20
https://twitter.com/chow_global/status/1440162156415111184?s=20
https://twitter.com/chow_global/status/1440162335948042250?s=20

even despite Canadian Tories shooting themselves in the foot with Sinophobia, Trudeau couldn't get a majority.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1440322092344307722

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mila kunis posted:

No nazis in ukraine!
I was going to compare Nazis to some kind of objectionable animal, but Nazis ruined all the good animal comparisons.

So Nazis are like penguins. They look stupid and taste like poo poo.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

even despite Canadian Tories shooting themselves in the foot with Sinophobia, Trudeau couldn't get a majority.
Good news! They're going left now!

We'll see what that means though in practice. Probably just going back to saying the quiet part quietly.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the mid-autumn festival is going on and the sissyboy ban is in effect... wait hold on a second... the transmission is being jammed... i don't know what's going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaZ7bA7ziVA

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wish I had the balls to belt the high notes like that.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

holy loving poo poo those are some pipes. cant believe xi personally pointed a gun at his family to force him to hit those high notes

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Are there paid by the local fans or mostly by the agency posting as fans? I ask because what Beijing tried to crank down on was this kind of culture (fan clubs peer pressure fans into buy big gifts for the idols)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

holy loving poo poo those are some pipes. cant believe xi personally pointed a gun at his family to force him to hit those high notes
don't be deceived, his tone is actually a secret weapon to blow the speakers aboard U.S. navy surveillance planes listening in on PLA communications and also cause their panels to explode like in star trek

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'm an idle member of a kpop fandom and the level of organization and collective material donations these groups are capable of mustering would put any mutual aid society to shame

Like, the DSA will tell you to go read a book, but these folks will have someone walk you through setting up a listening party playlist on Spotify if that's what it takes to make sure Lisa's new solo album goes trending

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i am going to listen to k pop and see what all the fuzz is about

edit: not as good as the backstreet boys

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

Judakel posted:

i am going to listen to k pop and see what all the fuzz is about

edit: not as good as the backstreet boys

have some good kpop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUjqYfyvynQ

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
ah, a woman of culture, i see

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Supporting korean dan schneider by listening to kpop. Shameful

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ISI vs. kpop stans let's goooooo

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was going to compare Nazis to some kind of objectionable animal, but Nazis ruined all the good animal comparisons.

So Nazis are like penguins. They look stupid and taste like poo poo.

drat, penguins taste bad? that sucks

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

thank you to whoever in this thread (at least I think it was this thread) mentioned The Spoils of War by Andrew Cockburn, a simultaneously hilarious and horrifying collection of essays about the insanity and incompetence of US military spending.

he draws a lot of comparisons to Soviet and later Russian defense spending but it'd be interesting to know what it's like in China - have they had any notably massive F-35 style boondoggles (that we know about)?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/SahilBloom/status/1439920043404546050

I hope the chairman nationalizes the real estate agencies companies and murder all the execs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just read an article that said they had a bunch of employees give them loans earlier this year (threatening to take away their annual bonus if they didn’t) then stopped paying them back a few months ago lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gato posted:

thank you to whoever in this thread (at least I think it was this thread) mentioned The Spoils of War by Andrew Cockburn, a simultaneously hilarious and horrifying collection of essays about the insanity and incompetence of US military spending.

he draws a lot of comparisons to Soviet and later Russian defense spending but it'd be interesting to know what it's like in China - have they had any notably massive F-35 style boondoggles (that we know about)?

China did some major bad investments in early semiconductor and civilian airplane projects, probably the two most capital intensive business in the world. Some may argue China still make bad investment in semiconductor. I don't agree even though it will take at least 10+ years to see the result of current domestic fabs.

In the 80s China tried to make their own civilian airliner Yun-10 with Beoing 707 engines. It was famous for almost greenlit but ultimately cancelled.

In general, China is very good at learning foreign technology and reverse engineering and compete in entry level and midtier industrial products.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

western media doesn't understand hong kong elections or their relation to the mainland and cpc to this day 😔

can someone elaborate on the relation?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gato posted:

:cheers:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
i'm late to this discussion but i think it's important to keep in mind that deng's strategy wasn't a trick that could only work insofar as it successfully fooled the west. capital literally cannot help itself - if the opportunity for investment and the creation of billionaires appears in a country, investment has to flow into that country because capital abhors a vacuum. no doubt the CIA was telling itself "heh heh heh they don't realize they're not going to be able to stop us" while other parts of it were telling themselves "heh heh heh we've finally won", and no doubt some of the CPC was telling itself "heh he heh they don't realize we're going to stop them" while other parts were thinking "heh heh heh they don't realize i'm a capitalist roader", but it doesn't really matter because the west simply cannot control its own capital, and when left to its own devices capital behaves predictably

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I mean, didn’t mao purge Xi’s dad from the party?

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Ferrinus posted:

i'm late to this discussion but i think it's important to keep in mind that deng's strategy wasn't a trick that could only work insofar as it successfully fooled the west. capital literally cannot help itself - if the opportunity for investment and the creation of billionaires appears in a country, investment has to flow into that country because capital abhors a vacuum. no doubt the CIA was telling itself "heh heh heh they don't realize they're not going to be able to stop us" while other parts of it were telling themselves "heh heh heh we've finally won", and no doubt some of the CPC was telling itself "heh he heh they don't realize we're going to stop them" while other parts were thinking "heh heh heh they don't realize i'm a capitalist roader", but it doesn't really matter because the west simply cannot control its own capital, and when left to its own devices capital behaves predictably

Yes the Chinese created a situation where American capital was essentially forced to defeat itself.

Had America put even a few regulations on Capital they could have stopped this but America would rather cut it's own throat than do that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

“Xi does think he’s moving to a new kind of system that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world,” said Barry Naughton, a China economy expert at the University of California, San Diego. “I call it a government-steered economy.”

You can tell Barry has a PhD in econ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

“Xi does think he’s moving to a new kind of system that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world,” said Barry Naughton, a China economy expert at the University of California, San Diego. “I call it a government-steered economy.”

lol the commentariat are awesome to behold.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Grapplejack posted:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Some kind of command system that's universal for the state's markets.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean, didn’t mao purge Xi’s dad from the party?

did he now? lmao

(deng got called out and put to work in a tractor factory lmbao)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

depending where he learned econ he might never seen even the faintest possibility of a non-market economic direction tbqf

but to say like it is an entirely new category is peak neolib econ brain. "Government-steered economies", yeah, like the ancient egyptians, the greeks, the romans...