Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Just out of curiosity, but how do you get the data for your poll? I did a moon poll a long time ago, but it took me so long to put all the data into my spreadsheets I gave up. Seemed like it was hard to find a good place to get all that data in an easily formatted way. I was trying to use a lot though, points for/against, yards for/against, turnovers, first downs, and maybe a couple other things.

This is why I'm E: not doing it. Also Arizona makes me too sad to spend two hours entering data into a spreadsheet every week.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

D.N. Nation posted:

UGA/ARK bafflingly got slotted for noon two weeks from now, which sounds like the trappiest trap trap that ever trapped.

CBS clearly expects Arkansas to beat A&M, but I just don't see the pigs being Georgia.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn@LSU scheduled for 8pm local, which serve as a fine excuse for losing yet another game in Baton Rouge

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why would Texas ever be back in top 25 they are garbage from a butt poop

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

Why would Texas ever be back in top 25 they are garbage from a butt poop

No, see, they were beat by an SEC contender.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

downout posted:

No, see, they were beat by an SEC contender.

I don’t think Dirty Shrimp Money’s moon poll has an SEC bias.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I suppose everyone is waiting for the Michigan vs. Wisconsin result to give Michigan more credit, but I think it's outrageous that a team like Coastal is higher in the polls. They barely beat Buffalo. But on the other hand, :lol: Harbaugh.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think Dirty Shrimp Money’s moon poll has an SEC bias.

oh :lol: I thought op was talking about AP or another

self-owned

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I miss when tk would run goon poll. I loved filling out my ballot and nodding smugly at the ~*goon consensus*~ and how much wiser we all were than the AP voters.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1440353174875820050

kind of an interesting article about coaches being influenced by the spread these days. With legalization and the rapid expansion of gambling in coverage, sponsorships, etc, I've wondered a bit about how it might influence actual games. College sports might have some specific issues there - given the massive spreads that exist, unlike most professional sports, and the fact that its pretty common for teams to have effectively won in a blow out at half time or whatever and stop really trying to score.

Beyond the boosters and such, I wonder if the proliferation of spreads and gambling odds is effectively setting expectations for a lot of people now - including people voting in the polls.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
We broke him lol

https://twitter.com/Joshua_Newman/status/1440364276372279303?s=19

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Unsurprising, but also somewhat bothersome.

Everybody who's a Rutgers or Penn State fan knows about the end of that game. I always thought it was a sort of parting shot, a big gently caress you to Rutgers on the way out the door. I don't know if there was bad blood from Rutgers specifically over the failed attempt to create an eastern football conference (Pitt was the main culprit). But I just now learned about McQueary's gambling problem, and rewatching that video makes me think Paterno didn't call that play--that McQueary did.

On the topic of the Big East, I found this article from 2011: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/football/paterno-sought-conference-for-eastern-schools/article_be71c63b-62ef-5795-a3f5-1480328e4143.html

quote:

Former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese said on WFAN Radio in New York on Sept. 19 that the Big Ten would want to add a school that would pull in viewers from a new area if it expanded.

And he said a school like Rutgers wouldn't have enough of a pull in the New York City market, and thus wouldn't contribute enough to the conference financially.

He was right and Delaney was wrong. Everyone except him seemed to know that Rutgers was a dumb move.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

He seemed pretty broken in his last year at Baylor. He hasn’t quite been right since the Big 12 Championship game in 2019.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky has been blasting Sandstorm and rooster crows at their practices this week in preparation for the environment in Columbia. It's going to be the first road game with a full stadium for a lot of the players.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers starting CB Max Melton suspended, along with a backup, for some sort of airsoft paint gun incident. It's unclear when Patrice Rene, who was originally projected to start at CB, will return from injury. Melton is a second year freshman, and this is really not good as he was playing well. His brother is the best WR on the team.

Komet posted:

He was right and Delaney was wrong. Everyone except him seemed to know that Rutgers was a dumb move.

No, he was an idiot who was wrong about everything. Rutgers to the Big Ten made the conference a fortune from cable subscribers. Tranghese actively worked to sabotage Big East football, and literally encouraged the ACC raid. In 1999, he was trying to get the ACC to take Miami and Virginia Tech because the balance of power had shifted away from basketball.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Schedules just releases for 2022 and Tennessee plays at LSU. I’d love to go to that game, I’ve never been to Baton Rouge

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Schedules just releases for 2022 and Tennessee plays at LSU. I’d love to go to that game, I’ve never been to Baton Rouge

I zoomed by Death Valley on I10 years ago and it looked really nice from a distance!

I'd love to see a game there. Also a weekend UF set at Alex Box.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If Vanderbilt needed another blow, their leading rusher is out for the season.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
When I was younger I used to make fun of sports injuries that I felt were not serious enough such as, for example, a toe ligament ending a season but I am now old enough to realize I might rather deal with anything else than even the smallest joint issue

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

fast cars loose anus posted:

When I was younger I used to make fun of sports injuries that I felt were not serious enough such as, for example, a toe ligament ending a season but I am now old enough to realize I might rather deal with anything else than even the smallest joint issue

I slightly pulled a muscle to the right of my spine like 13 or so years ago and once a year I’ll sleep on it slightly wrong and I can’t turn my head to the right for a week.

I used to laugh at “turf toe.”

If it’s knocking an 18 year old superhuman Adonis out of a game I’m sure it’s lovely. No more giggles from my washed rear end.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
My personal "oh my god I'm old as gently caress" moment was when I legitimately spent half a day unable to move well because I sneezed and it hosed up my back

I had made an enormous amount of fun of the time Sammy Sosa missed a game because of that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I slightly pulled a muscle to the right of my spine like 13 or so years ago and once a year I’ll sleep on it slightly wrong and I can’t turn my head to the right for a week.

Rub some dirt on it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

Rub some dirt on it

Well I was like 25 when it happened and I rubbed a bunch of women on it. Didn't help.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

My personal "oh my god I'm old as gently caress" moment was when I legitimately spent half a day unable to move well because I sneezed and it hosed up my back

I had made an enormous amount of fun of the time Sammy Sosa missed a game because of that

I did this while bending over to tie my shoes and I felt like I had pushed my lung into my stomach and was stuck in bed for 3 days.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I remember hearing about a Husker player, when I was a teen, who struggled all season with turf toe, which sounds like a fake-rear end injury. I thought he was a whiny baby. I was (am?) dumb as poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

regulargonzalez posted:

I remember hearing about a Husker player when I was a dumb teen who struggled all season with turf toe, which sounds like a fake-rear end injury. I thought he was a whiny baby. I was (am?) dumb as poo poo.

Turf toe is a thing that sounds so stupid until you experience it and then you wonder how in the world they even suited up.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

LeeMajors posted:

I used to laugh at “turf toe.”

If it’s knocking an 18 year old superhuman Adonis out of a game I’m sure it’s lovely. No more giggles from my washed rear end.

now that i have some drat condition that causes all of my bones and joints to hurt horribly and not work right sometimes i can't disparage any injury, especially when caused by some other guy smashing in to someone at 30 miles an hour. also since i already was prone to crippling back spasms and experienced a pulled hamstring that took seemingly an eternity to full heal. getting old is so loving stupid lmao

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Nothing but a bunch of old degenerates in here.

Anyways

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I did this while bending over to tie my shoes and I felt like I had pushed my lung into my stomach and was stuck in bed for 3 days.

I've noticed as I've gotten fatter that this is an issue. I might need to watch my intake. Of everything.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
E: wrong thread

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Peak old washed guy is when you manage to wreck yourself for an entire day by sleeping wrong

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Peak old washed guy is when you manage to wreck yourself for an entire day by sleeping wrong

:hfive:

…..

:negative:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

MourningView posted:

it's loving bullshit. i didn't even mean to do this! gently caress you piece of poo poo old corpse

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Place your bets.

E: Brutal:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2021/9/19/22681760/arizona-nau-football-reaction-recap-score-takeways-fisch-postgame-wildcats-analysis[/quote posted:

Only 33,481 fans showed up to Saturday’s game, Arizona’s worst attendance figure since it joined the Pac-10 in 1978. I don’t blame them if they decide not to come back. The last two coaches promised them that they would turn things around but somehow they managed to bring the program to new lows. I never thought it would get worse than Kevin Sumlin losing 70-7 to ASU, but here we are.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 22, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rick posted:

Place your bets.

E: Brutal:

we're hosting you this coming weekend, which will likely be a boat race, but I'm still permanently nervous that somebody will get hurt or something bad will happen. Arizona has some kind of black magic against the Ducks, I don't know why.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

harperdc posted:

we're hosting you this coming weekend, which will likely be a boat race, but I'm still permanently nervous that somebody will get hurt or something bad will happen. Arizona has some kind of black magic against the Ducks, I don't know why.

If it was a movie this would be the time Arizona did the upset after hitting rock bottom. It can't really get worse but also may be a while before it gets better, though. Arizona will have a chance against Colorado and you really do have to throw the records out against ASU but I think the most likely win is against North Dakota State next year.

But seriously I wouldn't mind Oregon keeping it together and making the playoffs despite an awful Pac-12 for the lulz.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The big east hated football because the conference was always designed around basketball and everything was guided by the powers at providence. Even at peak schiano anyone from the midatlantic/northeast area could have told you trying to chase Rutgers for market share is the dumbest thing possible because they have absolutely no market value. Weird how that ended up being true.

I just want a conference with wvu, pitt, psu, vt, Maryland in it and I don't give a gently caress about the rest :(

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Asproigerosis posted:

I just want a conference with wvu, pitt, psu, vt, Maryland in it and I don't give a gently caress about the rest :(

Traditionally I would have also added Syracuse to that group, but in the present they are basically non-schiano rutgers.

Penn State tried to organize an all eastern sport conference in the early 80s. Blame Pitt for killing it.

quote:

....a football conference that included West Virginia, Pitt, Penn State, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Rutgers, Temple, Maryland, Syracuse, Florida State and South Carolina.
Apparently, it made too much sense for it did not come to be, Pastilong saying that Pitt would not go along with the plan. Pitt’s football history was rich and rivaled Penn State’s at the time and felt its best interest was to stick with what it had as an independent.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
My little sister got turf toe from marching band. Kid used to get numbing and/or steroid shots in her big toe before competitions and has had two or three surgeries as an adult.

If I fall asleep in my football watchin' chair I'm worthless for days.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It's true, we are getting older. But when I was in my early 20s I didn't have a career, a wife, kids, or home maintenance to juggle (not that I would give those up, mind you).

Back to football: apparently James Franklin's buyout is "only" 4 million dollars. A relative bargain these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

A bad pillow over the weekend, combined with too abruptly turning my head to check my blindspot, means my head is currently on day 4 of "doesn't turn to the right."