Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

docbeard posted:

I'll say again that Minneapolis's bus system isn't bad at all (though yeah it can take a while to get anywhere) and it's light rail system is good if you want to go to like one of three places. (The St. Paul light rail line I have less experience with. Point is, I don't have a car and I do all right.

I don't have a large dog though, which would complicate matters somewhat.

what neighborhood are you in, and where do you do your errands typically?

with my parents "senior retirement community" besides needing two buses, after the second one, by which time you've spent almost an hour traveling (again this is 10 minutes by car), you still need a 1.5 mile walk, which is cool if the weather is decent, and you are able bodied, and oh yeah you don't really need to transport anything, but not really viable for a lot of people. Imagine doing that in January lol

oh and with a car I can just pick up whatever poo poo I need at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it seems obvious to me that personal motorized vehicles are fine to exist for specialized cases (remote/long distance, off-roading, competition, disabled people, etc.) but making everyone own them to get to work and school and food and literally everything is the bad part

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
That implies paved roads, so no. Cars are bad, period. Do not compromise with the agents of death, they will not extend you the same courtesy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it seems obvious to me that personal motorized vehicles are fine to exist for specialized cases (remote/long distance, off-roading, competition, disabled people, etc.) but making everyone own them to get to work and school and food and literally everything is the bad part

yeah, when I had to drive out to a loving exurb for Bailey's spay it reminded me how loving insane driving is, especially commuting. It's completely rage inducing. I used to work with someone who was insanely calm, kind, etc. I asked her if she ever got really mad, and she said she was constantly dropping f-bombs when she had to drive lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

actionjackson posted:

what neighborhood are you in, and where do you do your errands typically?

with my parents "senior retirement community" besides needing two buses, after the second one, by which time you've spent almost an hour traveling (again this is 10 minutes by car), you still need a 1.5 mile walk, which is cool if the weather is decent, and you are able bodied, and oh yeah you don't really need to transport anything, but not really viable for a lot of people. Imagine doing that in January lol

oh and with a car I can just pick up whatever poo poo I need at the same time

I'm in Seward, and can get to the Lake St. Cub/Target area by bus pretty easily. (Plus the Seward Co-op's right there if a lot more pricy, and there're a few little convenience stores around if I need something quick.) I'm right on a high-frequency bus line though which helps a lot. I'm in pretty bad shape right now (I was in bad shape pre-Covid and it really took a toll) but there's a lot of stuff that's walkable from here too.

I used to live down in Longfellow where there was an awesome convenience store right across the street. I miss living there. (It was also loving hilarious in an extremely sad way the time my roommate's parents visited from Nebraska and were convinced we lived in a nightmare slum area, largely because of that convenience store which was owned by an Egyptian family.)

I'm certainly not saying a car wouldn't be a lot more convenient (and I'm also not saying I don't get a cab home from the grocery store most of the time), just that it's, you know, doable. (This isn't at all a JOIN USSSSSSSSS thing, just saying what works for me.)

And there are definitely places in the cities where it would be a lot harder to manage. Though compared to everywhere else I've lived, Minneapolis public transit feels like a miracle.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Car Hater posted:

That implies paved roads, so no. Cars are bad, period. Do not compromise with the agents of death, they will not extend you the same courtesy

bikes and peds will suffer way more than a modern car will on a loose road surface lol (roads have existed for thousands of years before automobiles btw)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I also work in Eden Prairie (which for those not local is basically the fifth circle of suburban Twin Cities hell) and commuted by bus for years. If you're going to have a long commute doing it by bus is the best way because that two hours turns into naptime/loving around on the internet time and traffic becomes someone else's problem.

But I work from home now and I refuse to go back to it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

my city has been doing a bunch of parklets for restaurants and all the landed gentry boomers get steamed up into a furious fit of rage everytime it happens because downtown is losing all it's parking!!

(*nevermind the new 5-story garage they just built at great expense that no one uses)

There's a garage here that is free after 5pm and within 1-3 blocks of basically the entire downtown but every time I use it it's almost entirely empty lmao. There's been a couple changes to the downtown here to make it more friendly to non-cars and predictably there's people going mental about this war on cars, but it's been a hard campaign because the thing about closing off big chunks of downtown to cars to turn it into outdoor dining and more room to walk around is that it's EXTREMELY popular once implemented

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
cars are extremely convenient if you have to move something from point a to point b. imo.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

cars are extremely convenient if you have to move something from point a to point b. imo.

have you tried using your hands??????????????

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

What? no, but a car is definitely needed to transport her not just to medical appointments, but various greyhound events, other people's houses that also have greyhounds so she can socialize, etc. When I got my first greyhound, Abby, ten years ago, especially early on I was always driving her to various greyhound stuff. Obviously that stuff is less common at the moment.

Other stuff would be seeing my parents, that's what I mentioned when saying 10 minutes by car or 90 minutes by bus with three transfers, and the area they live in is generally the best for most errands.

I only drive like 2k/miles a year, and before covid I didn't drive to work for 10 years (I walked or biked), but I still need a vehicle. I think if I lived downtown AND I didn't have Bailey AND carsharing wasn't completely hammered by covid living without a car would be possible.

not only do I want to ban cars but now I want to ban purebreds too

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Car Greyhound Culture

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

cliffords are a difficult breed that requires a lot of space and energy but I love them all so so much and that’s why I need an mrap as my daily driver

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

There's a garage here that is free after 5pm and within 1-3 blocks of basically the entire downtown but every time I use it it's almost entirely empty lmao. There's been a couple changes to the downtown here to make it more friendly to non-cars and predictably there's people going mental about this war on cars, but it's been a hard campaign because the thing about closing off big chunks of downtown to cars to turn it into outdoor dining and more room to walk around is that it's EXTREMELY popular once implemented
ours is $1 for the first hour and even a $5-flat rate for evening parking. but street parking becomes free after 6pm even though it's not worth the hassle and everyone rages when they take out a few spots. it has 720 loving spots and mostly empty

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Is the Flintstone mobile a car if it's foot-powered and has two wheels?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

it’s a velocipede

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i say swears online posted:

stfu bitch

question for NYC people about transit there

1) is the MTA even going to be around in like 10-20 years? From my understanding it's chronically underfunded and keeps getting worse, and is completely unprepared for climate change (thinking about what happened with Irma recently)

2) What happened to congestion pricing in Manhattan?

3) any plans to turn certain streets, or parts of streets, into pedestrian malls?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

guidoanselmi posted:

Is the Flintstone mobile a car if it's foot-powered and has two wheels?

Any remains from the Flintstone era would be fossilized and thus not only is the Flintstonemobile a car but it is powered by fossil fuels.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’ve done a fair amount of bike riding in Amish country, and it’s a trip to be feared by other traffic for a change. They’re chill, but horses are skittish at the best of times and a dude mashing by on a bike can freak them out. More buggies, fewer cars.

bikes and peds will suffer way more than a modern car will on a loose road surface lol (roads have existed for thousands of years before automobiles btw)

A lot of roads in the US originally were paved for cyclists. Big fat tires help though.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Loucks posted:

More buggies, fewer cars.

horses suck too actually. luddites can walk or ride a bike if they don't want to take a train when we desprawl all the cities, i don't give a gently caress about their religious objections

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

horses are probably worse for the environment than a kia

Loucks
May 21, 2007

horses suck too actually. luddites can walk or ride a bike if they don't want to take a train when we desprawl all the cities, i don't give a gently caress about their religious objections

I’m far from a horse fan, since they either tear up the good trails around here or force maintainers to add a huge amount of rock to armor against jackasses who refuse to keep Mr. Ed at home when it’s wet. They’re still a hell of a lot better than cars, but I take your meaning and want to live in that world too.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I hate cars but love snowrunner, my summer car, and wreckfest. i play them with a steering wheel controller.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

yeah if people are going to be this stupid about it greyhounds gotta go

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

My dog needs more exercise, which is why I drive it around.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

indigi posted:

yeah if people are going to be this stupid about it greyhounds gotta go

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bullfrog posted:

I hate cars but love snowrunner, my summer car, and wreckfest. i play them with a steering wheel controller.

do you have a license to drive?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

Eh, I'm a pacifist but play a ton of violent videogames so I think it's fine.

Or it's not fine.

One of those.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xES-pJ_4N6o&t=66s

fuckin prius :argh:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

aj your dog looks like a sweetheart, don't listen to these people blinded by the fury road.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

aj your dog looks like a sweetheart

greyhounds are one of the ugliest breeds actually

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

stfu bitch

1) is the MTA even going to be around in like 10-20 years? From my understanding it's chronically underfunded and keeps getting worse, and is completely unprepared for climate change (thinking about what happened with Irma recently)

3) any plans to turn certain streets, or parts of streets, into pedestrian malls?

2) they're slow walking it. look at this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/DaveCoIon/status/1438169335604854792

3) they kept some of the most popular "open streets" (5th ave in BK, 34th Ave in Jackson Heights, Vanderbilt Ave in BK) and are trying to add "bike boulevards" in lightly trafficked streets that were chosen not to piss off any drivers. so, effectively, not really.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

docbeard posted:

Eh, I'm a pacifist but play a ton of violent videogames so I think it's fine.

Or it's not fine.

One of those.

Pacifism is definitely not fine.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Loucks posted:

Pacifism is definitely not fine.

True.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
all the car haters itt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHicyqMML4

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actionjackson posted:

stfu bitch

I'm no longer in NYC (Chicago is my new haunt now, it's cool), anyway:

1) It's chronically underfunded, but what will probably happen, assuming the greater US doesn't collapse, is that the next time the subway system gets destroyed in a Sandy style disaster. They will get a huge injection of federal dollars and will restore the "important" lines that go into manhattan/financial district (123,456), they will drag rear end on the outer borough lines (AC. F, JZ, R). As super storms are goign to be more common, eventually the slow grifter pace of repairs won't be able to keep up and they will start limiting service on those lines. AFAIK the MTA still isn't 24hrs after the covid modification last year.

2) lol.
"Lieutenant Governor Hochul has supported congestion pricing in the past, but the pace and timing is something she will need to evaluate further given the constantly changing impact of Covid-19 on commuters,"

3) This has been happening on and off all over the city and I'm sure we will see more and more of that, but the idea of a "Car Free" City is a pipedream.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wtf is congestion pricing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

wtf is congestion pricing
tolls but only during rush hours

it means u price da poors out so only rich maserrati drivers can plow through pedestrians without having to worry about traffic because paying $40 for a congestion toll isn't even a rounding error

tbf out of all the us cities "planning" that poo poo, nyc is the only one that actually makes any sense because you can take transit anywhere and there's peripheral parking on transit hubs. but they should abolish driving entirely

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

tolls but only during rush hours

it means u price da poors out so only rich maserrati drivers can plow through pedestrians without having to worry about traffic because paying $40 for a congestion toll isn't even a rounding error

tbf out of all the us cities "planning" that poo poo, nyc is the only one that actually makes any sense because you can take transit anywhere and there's peripheral parking on transit hubs. but they should abolish driving entirely

tolls where, like on bridges/tunnels, so if you stay in your borough(s) you’re basically fine? or just random streets?