Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1439961505018093571

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Is it impossible? No. Taking you in good faith that you likely don’t deserve given the snark, you’re aiming for easier, more accessible voting —which is a Good Thing.

But your bank account doesn’t have a bad actor trying to run fake audits on it and even if your entire account was stolen, who cares? You’ve got protections and legal recourse and you’re late for some bills at worst. When’s the last time you’ve needed a paper trail for a recount of your bank account? When’s the last time a bad actor political party needed a recount of the funds within your account?

If the same thing happens with voting, you get a fascist.

Your comparison doesn’t track if only because the stakes are so vastly different. And no, that’s not blah blah masturbatory bullshit, that’s an honest admission that getting online voting wrong has consequences a little more severe than your banking.

I don't care about the challenges I just want it done. That's the thing. Like we can discuss how important ones livelihood is compared ones vote but it doesn't matter. The questions, that do matter should have already been brought up and answered satisfactory (to me, I'm the paragon of reasonableness, the only one who has concerns that matter).

Oh and to people saying the mail system is fine. Lol any system that is using signatures to verify anything needs improvement.

If I really wanted to have the discussion problems in making a trusted online voting system, the bitcoin thread probably wouldn't be the place.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 20, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Duck and Cover posted:

I can bank online, I should be able to vote online.

bank fraud still occurs all the time and banks spend a lot of time and money resolving and fixing crimes and errors

election fraud changes the entire course of loving history

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't care about the challenges I just want it done.

Incredible.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't know for sure, but Oregon has done it this way for years and years now and it hasn't been a problem. By memory there are instructions to cross out a misvote which are pretty clear, and a partially filled oval is generally going to indicate intent clearly enough. Any edge cases can get kicked up for review.

Vote by mail should be the standard nationwide, but the GOP is afraid of people voting so it remains something strenuously debated about even though it has been running just fine in Oregon for decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote-by-mail_in_Oregon

For sure, I'm in WA and they even got rid of having to find a stamp to return your ballot. Super easy to return in the mailbox and if you want they have drop boxes everywhere for extra security. Nice to have weeks to get the ballot filled out so doesn't feel rushed. Makes voter suppression much more obvious when hear about friends in Ohio being required to stand in line for hours because they're in a college student heavy area that the state doesn't want voting.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't need to know how my computer works to appreciate that it does. Pretty sure it's magic.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure, I'm in WA and they even got rid of having to find a stamp to return your ballot. Super easy to return in the mailbox and if you want they have drop boxes everywhere for extra security. Nice to have weeks to get the ballot filled out so doesn't feel rushed. Makes voter suppression much more obvious when hear about friends in Ohio being required to stand in line for hours because they're in a college student heavy area that the state doesn't want voting.

Yeah last time I voted I smoked a blunt while looking over the voters guide and doing some light googling. Then I strolled to city hall and put my ballot in a box in the parking lot.

The 14 hour wait and voting slot machine stories from other states sound like a loving nightmare

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't care about the challenges I just want it done.

Except that the challenges are a big part of why it shouldn’t be done right now.

I think I get what you’re trying to say, but posting “I just want it done” is… I mean, I want a post scarcity society but the challenges are kind of a big deal.

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't need to know how my computer works to appreciate that it does. Pretty sure it's magic.

Come on, man.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Why are you guys responding to the most willfully stupid guy on SA

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

please knock Mom! posted:

Because they’re probably young and I was once young and very dumb

And I just don’t feel like being an rear end in a top hat now

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's been a lot of contenders for that crown, we can't be expected to keep track of them all.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's been a lot of contenders for that crown, we can't be expected to keep track of them all.

Trust me that’s the guy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Trust me that’s the guy

Excuse me, have you met salt shakeup?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

oh no my bitcoin!!!

and every other stock!!!!

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Paladinus posted:

Doubly so. Since Bitcoin is supposed to be an alternative to traditional money and/or assets, you would expect it to go up, when everything else goes down.

But the main selling point of buttcoin is that it's anti-inflationary. An event like a big Chinese homebuilder defaulting and potentially rolling over and crushing the credit markets in its death throes is deflationary.

I wonder if Evergrande is a belt or a road.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hobologist posted:

But the main selling point of buttcoin is that it's anti-inflationary. An event like a big Chinese homebuilder defaulting and potentially rolling over and crushing the credit markets in its death throes is deflationary.

I wonder if Evergrande is a belt or a road.

It's both. It's a bort.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

oh no my bitcoin!!!

and every other stock!!!!

-1.62%

Not my infinite money! Stock number must go up!

edit:You know what nevermind I don't care enough to continue the derail. I edited it out.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 21, 2021

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Not even noteworthy.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Looks like Coinbase took the hint and dropped Lend.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't care about the challenges I just want it done. That's the thing. Like we can discuss how important ones livelihood is compared ones vote but it doesn't matter. The questions, that do matter should have already been brought up and answered satisfactory (to me, I'm the paragon of reasonableness, the only one who has concerns that matter).

Oh and to people saying the mail system is fine. Lol any system that is using signatures to verify anything needs improvement.

If I really wanted to have the discussion problems in making a trusted online voting system, the bitcoin thread probably wouldn't be the place.

My computer can create fake and fraudulent ballots on the order of thousands a minute.
My arm can only sign about 30 ballots before it gets tired.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also there's a person ensuring you only get one ballot in the first place, and saying "weren't you in here earlier?" if you try to come back later.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Kerbtree posted:

Looks like Coinbase took the hint and dropped Lend.

Absolutely brilliant strategy for them to do the inevitable and drop Lend but only after needlessly antagonizing the SEC and taunting them to come after all the other unregistered securities they deal in

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That’s good for Bitcoin.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The SEC is toothless and underfunded, just like any other regulatory agency.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

my 3070 is churnin away

made almost $600 in BTC since july.

when it hits $1000 im going to sell half and keep half and buy an exhaust for my motorcycle.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

numberoneposter posted:

my 3070 is churnin away

made almost $600 in BTC since july.

when it hits $1000 im going to sell half and keep half and buy an exhaust for my motorcycle.

Have you considered opening a recycling center and then just throwing whatever people drop off into a lake? You could make more money and have less impact on the environment.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Have you considered opening a recycling center and then just throwing whatever people drop off into a lake? You could make more money and have less impact on the environment.
thats not a bad idea i live on a peninsula lots of ocean everywhere

ill borrow my GF's totoyta matrix and start a junk hauling company

haul junk right into the ocean

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

numberoneposter posted:

thats not a bad idea i live on a peninsula lots of ocean everywhere

ill borrow my GF's totoyta matrix and start a junk hauling company

haul junk right into the ocean

That's just a crime.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

how do i declare my bit coins on my taxes?? i dont want to do a crime.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Salt Fish posted:

Check their post history in this thread; you're just responding to a low-effort troll.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

That's just a crime.

Not if it's car batteries, that's a safe and legal thrill

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hello Sailor posted:

Check their post history in this thread; you're just responding to a low-effort troll.

Actually that's what you're doing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Paladinus posted:

It's both. It's a bort.

Excuse me, my child's name is Bort.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

jokes posted:

You know what I say about technology? I think for any reason, even if you think you should, or shouldn’t, no matter what anyone says, even though you might think it’s a good idea, or even a bad idea, just don’t ever consider for even a second if you do or don’t

Yes. I won't

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
don't tell the government about your bitcoins, that's the whole point, don't justify it by comparing it to dirty fiat us dollars

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Space Fish posted:

Excuse me, my child's name is Bort.

My sub $40k coin is also named Bort.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/GaryGensler/status/1440409729554018307

Cmon you bastards. Doooo it!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

You know what I say about technology? I think for any reason, even if you think you should, or shouldn’t, no matter what anyone says, even though you might think it’s a good idea, or even a bad idea, just don’t ever consider for even a second if you do or don’t

is this the text version of those pictures that make you think you're having a stroke

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

jokes posted:

What in tarnation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stefan Prodan posted:

is this the text version of those pictures that make you think you're having a stroke

I read it and now the left side of my face is drooping.

Seems legit!