Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

yeah ok

Rae the Doe is currently on a M-W-F schedule! No comic today!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: to boldly go (September 1-7, 2003)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Apologies for the delay in Blueberry - now that the place I do voluntary work for is back up for face-to-face meetings, I can't guarantee uploads on Monday regularly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love this, it's like a regular person moved into a Michael DeForge comic.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 25, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 25, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 25, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/20/01

Brenda Starr 4/3-5/43

Smokey Stover 6/13/43

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Fyadophobic posted:

I think Modern Val's art is decent and I know the artist is competent and experienced, but I think they make some really critical missteps that hold it back from being great. And I don't know how much of it is artistic choice, the way the artist interacts with the medium (that is to say, digital drawing and coloring) and, of course, time/resource limitations. It's difficult to say.

But in my opinion the modern artist relies too heavily on large fields of spot black and uses an overly saturated color palette. These would be bad enough on their own, but taken together they create a really uncomfortable feeling, almost like they've been taken into Photoshop and had the contrast and saturation cranked up unnaturally high. It kind of works for this arc since it's a surreal, psychedelic setting but it doesn't work that well for the arcs set in the ordinary world. This stands out especially if you compare the modern strip to the classic pages. The black used for outline and spot black in Classic Valiant is very muted and subdued, if you isolate it you can see that it's really more charcoal grey than black. This helps it blend more naturalistically with the other inks used in the illustration, and lets the spot black (rarer than in the modern strip but still there) recede into the background. This is important since in Hal Foster's drawings spot blacks are mainly used to define the environmental art, for example the detailing on the cliffs in panel 3 and the dark under-shadows of the foliage in panel 5. When he does use them on human figures it's usually to illustrate a low-light setting (firelight, moonlight, etc.)

Also take note of the sophisticated way Foster chose when to use and when to NOT use black outlines. Take a look at how soft and distant the clouds in panel 3 are, especially with the subtle gradient of blue to white behind them. There's no reason the modern digital comic couldn't have stuff like that, if anything it should be easier to do things like that now then it was then. Digital art is limitless! And yet that's not what we see in the finished results.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at is, in the modern comic the inking and color choices don't support the story and setting as well as they could.

Thanks for this, it helps me put my finger on what has bothered me about the modern Valiant art. I'm surprised the printed colors Murdstone posted were so different from the GIF colors - I would have expected modern printing to be more accurate than that, even in cheap newsprint.

Vintage Valiant (May 11, 1947)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Comics Kingdom is still having trouble? I wonder what's going on. Anyway, as a workaround, their alternate site is still working fine: https://v7.comicskingdom.net/ As far as I can tell, the only difference is that this one will give you the horizontally-composed strip where available. For most strips, that's what they are anyway, so no difference.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Medenmath posted:

Thanks for this, it helps me put my finger on what has bothered me about the modern Valiant art. I'm surprised the printed colors Murdstone posted were so different from the GIF colors - I would have expected modern printing to be more accurate than that, even in cheap newsprint.

Vintage Valiant (May 11, 1947)

Dang it, why is it dusty in here

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Am I misremembering or did Bettina (Sally Forth) experience a '90s sitcom age jump from baby to elementary age kid? Seems like all of a sudden she was walking and talking.

I believe the timeskip that happened just before the pandemic was th excuse to sitcom-age her up yeah.
I think Hil had a joke about it.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Clockface directions are always subjective to the person. If you want to be clear, you should say "15 degrees off the starboard bough".

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

ancient observation but Skelley didn't even do it right

it's funnier if you say The Los Angeles Angels means "The The Angels Angels"

you need two "the"s !

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
God drat Prince Val is good.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, I never have them on and can never see them, I basically just filled in some stuff in the appropriate field in the User Control Panel and hoped for the best.

The Uramachi Sakaba imgur album starts here, at any rate: (imgur.com) /a/wD25NnB

Haifisch posted:

The person has to have 'show signature' checked when they post, and it's unchecked by default. It's so aggressive in trying to keep it off that I had to re-check it after previewing this post, even.

Thanks!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

you broke my grill posted:

ancient observation but Skelley didn't even do it right

it's funnier if you say The Los Angeles Angels means "The The Angels Angels"

you need two "the"s !

I miss the days when the Angels called themselves the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. LAAAAA.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Kelly also lists himself as a stand-up comic in his credits and I’d bet dollars to donuts that his routine matches note-for-note to “An Evening with Tim Heidecker.”

He exactly the kind of hacky, self-absorbed boomer comedian that Heidecker spoofs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gleebster posted:

Clockface directions are always subjective to the person. If you want to be clear, you should say "15 degrees off the starboard bough".

:cripes: That's a terrible pun.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Suspicious smoke (1935/42)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

It has to be the solution because "How could I know I was going 70" is a non sequitur from "It wasn't my car."

"It wasn't my car. And even if it was my car I couldn't know I was going 70. And even if I was going 70 I would have noticed and avoided a mid-40s man with brown hair. And even if I'd hit a mid-40s man with brown hair, that [brand] jacket he was wearing would have protected him from the fall."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

gleebster posted:

Powered Descent posted:

:cripes: That's a terrible pun.
I didn't even catch it until this comment. I just thought it was a typo. Well done.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Got a genuine lol out of this one.

Free to a good home:

The Phantom

is he un-Phantoming? :ohdear:

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 21, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Got a genuine lol out of this one.

Free to a good home:

Don't sleep on the dog rolling its eyes with the lady

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

is he un-Phantoming? :ohdear:

Weird how we're not seeing any blood. I figure even a newspaper comic can get away with a bit of that (like maybe, blood coming out of his sleeve), but maybe it's deliberate to... preserve Phantom's image as invulnerable?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Gatto Grigio posted:

I’m really enjoying 100 Demons. I remember seeing Ernie Pook’s Comik in the papers during college and finding it impenetrable, but now that I’m enjoying these I want to go back and read them.

That’s awesome! Luckily I’ve got a copy of The Greatest of Marlys coming in this week, so I’ll be posting Ernie Pook starting some time next month. I started reading the Comeek in my local alt weekly when I was just a wee tween, and I think it helped my introduction to see it once a week. Either way I’m pumped for it!

El Spamo posted:

Weird that we have the same dust in our houses.

Classic Zits

Sylvia

100 Demons: Magic

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's delayed (sorry again) Blueberry: The trio try out for the Olympic high-dive, or McClure is as graceful as ever, or Jethro gets upset at... well, everything

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jeremy's pre-tax income was $64.52, meaning he worked about 12.5 hours at minimum wage.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

lol at the idea of a french bulldog being at a rando rescue.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With over a million insta followers, why isn't she full time influencing?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

goatface posted:

Cartoonists ignorant.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Bets spends a lot of time in lawsuits regarding consent.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The MiniSec Ecocide Museum!

2008 reminds us that when the problem is late period capitalism, spree killing is the only solution...and oh look, someone learned a new word. (March 3-7)

Note to random strangers: That first comment is what we call "sarcasm", by the way. Don't send the DHS after me.

2011, in which Chip has the right idea for how to get through this sequence: drink early, drink often. (April 4-8)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 21, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

I was going to say "They're 90% bots" but honestly that probably doesn't matter and/or is always true

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Bibliotechno Music posted:

100 Demons: Magic

Todd Rundgren still slaps.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

davidspackage posted:

Weird how we're not seeing any blood. I figure even a newspaper comic can get away with a bit of that (like maybe, blood coming out of his sleeve), but maybe it's deliberate to... preserve Phantom's image as invulnerable?

I'm legitimately curious whether there's going to be a fakeout of some sort or we're actually going to see the torch passed to his daughter.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

El Spamo posted:

Not only is the art great, so are the story line and the prose of the tale as well.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Alterian posted:

lol at the idea of a french bulldog being at a rando rescue.

You scoff, but this is how my sister-in-law wound up with a bedlington terrier. (It helped that she was working at the shelter and got first dibs when the unchipped puppy was brought in and no owner came looking for it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I'm legitimately curious whether there's going to be a fakeout of some sort or we're actually going to see the torch passed to his daughter.
We've been at this point two or three separate times. Every time the thread gets excited about the potential shakeup and every time it's a fakeout. :)