Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Even the US would baulk at poo poo like this:

NYT posted:

Evergrande Gave Workers a Choice: Lend Us Cash or Lose Your Bonus

The Chinese property giant owes $300 billion and is on the hook for as many as 1.6 million apartments. It may owe tens of thousands of its employees money, too.

When the troubled Chinese property giant Evergrande was starved for cash earlier this year, it turned to its own employees with a strong-arm pitch: Those who wanted to keep their bonuses would have to give Evergrande a short-term loan.

Some workers tapped their friends and family for money to lend to the company. Others borrowed from the bank. Then, this month, Evergrande suddenly stopped paying back the loans, which had been packaged as high-interest investments.

EDIT: loving stupid sites trying to stop copy/paste.

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, giving your employees bonuses in the first place is very un-american.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah, giving your employees bonuses in the first place is very un-american.

Nah that isn't true. The American way is to offer bonus if a certain quota is met. Just make sure that quota is just out of reach. If the qouta is ever met then raise it some more. Also bitch super hard whenever it isn't met. Bonus points if you make it feels like a moral failure on your employees part.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Nah that isn't true. The American way is to offer bonus if a certain quota is met. Just make sure that quota is just out of reach. If the qouta is ever met then raise it some more. Also bitch super hard whenever it isn't met. Bonus points if you make it feels like a moral failure on your employees part.

My job does this, and the bonus is less than 1% of yearly pay. I'm so motivated to try real hard

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Shwqa posted:

In 2001 I worked for a company that decided it was going public and had gotten a well-known accounting firm, Coopers & Lybrand, to valuate our company for the IPO. We all were going to get some shares instead of our usual Christmas cash bonus. LOL Suffice it to say we didn't see either that year.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

My favorite weird evolutionary algorithm story was the one run on an FPGA (basically a reprogrammable circuit) that would try to optimize the internal logic to solve a very simple problem - I think it was output a 1 if given one tone, and a 0 if given another tone. After a while it was getting it done perfectly, so the researchers looked at what it made and... it made no sense. There were parts connected to nothing, other parts that were connected but didn't seem to do anything, and they couldn't figure out how it worked. They tried deleting the parts connected to nothing, and it stopped working. They then tried to copy it into a different FPGA, and it didn't work there at all. The algorithm made a design that worked perfectly only on that specific chip, due to the peculiarities of the chip itself.

time works the same way

that's really interesting though. do you remember where you read about it?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Weatherman posted:

This is a popular (vs academic) article about that circuit. nthing that it's a good read.

https://www.damninteresting.com/on-the-origin-of-circuits/

:tipshat:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

BonHair posted:

God drat America, always one step ahead even especially if it's counterproductive dumb poo poo.

while the sign spiners are sad in an exploiting labor kind of way, there's also these loving things that just fill me with rage

box trucks modified into rolling billboards that drive around busy areas simply to be seen driving around busy areas.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shwqa posted:

The real pro move is to give a sob story when bonus time comes 'round about how times are tough and we all need to tighten our belts, so that's why there aren't going to be bonuses this year, and then immediately hop on the quarterly earnings report call and start bragging about the company's record profits.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Kreeblah posted:

The real pro move is to give a sob story when bonus time comes 'round about how times are tough and we all need to tighten our belts, so that's why there aren't going to be bonuses this year, and then immediately hop on the quarterly earnings report call and start bragging about the company's record profits.

Lmao 100%

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

jetz0r posted:

while the sign spiners are sad in an exploiting labor kind of way, there's also these loving things that just fill me with rage

box trucks modified into rolling billboards that drive around busy areas simply to be seen driving around busy areas.

I'm with you. These started showing up in my smallish town and I haven't stopped loudly complaining about them since. It's advertising that contributes to traffic congestion and pollution. It's a stunning overlap of awful thing. I guess it would be a different story if they were actually hauling something from A to B in the back but most of them are converted in such a way that the cargo area is useless.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

Saving it for bonuses is a chump move, our CEO does this every quarter to extend the pay freeze that been going on since before my company was acquired. It's apparently been in place for like three or four years, but it's always phrased as "just for this coming quarter" to keep the rubes placated before immediately bragging about how the company has never been more successful and therefore we're expanding the C-suite with a new hire.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kreeblah posted:

This is literally what my company is doing right now. We sell vitamins which are in high demand during covid times. But man they make it feel like we are about to declare bankruptcy but we didn't sell 25% more than our best year ever, which was last year. We are only selling 12% more than our best year ever. Time to tighten that belt.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Kreeblah posted:

Canadian Tire did this - Instead of bonuses and raises they so graciously "let everyone keep their job" all while experiencing literal record profits the past 6 quarters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Saving it for bonuses is a chump move, our CEO does this every quarter to extend the pay freeze that been going on since before my company was acquired. It's apparently been in place for like three or four years, but it's always phrased as "just for this coming quarter" to keep the rubes placated before immediately bragging about how the company has never been more successful and therefore we're expanding the C-suite with a new hire.

Suite gig, if you can get it.

petit choux posted:

In 2001 I worked for a company that decided it was going public and had gotten a well-known accounting firm, Coopers & Lybrand, to valuate our company for the IPO. We all were going to get some shares instead of our usual Christmas cash bonus. LOL Suffice it to say we didn't see either that year.

You don't understand. The country had just ENDURED a TRAGEDY. People weren't buying like they used to

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

When I started at my current job, the first year I got a $500 bonus with a letter saying that you get $500 plus an additional $250 for each year you work there. The second year, I got a $400 bonus with a letter saying you get $200 plus an additional $200 for each year you work there. The third year I got a $200 bonus with a letter saying they were very lucky we did well enough to allow giving this bonus but gosh we're not obligated to or anything.

The fourth year I got one of the mugs we give out for free at trade shows, and a letter saying how great a year we had. The fifth year I got nothing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

When I started at my current job, the first year I got a $500 bonus with a letter saying that you get $500 plus an additional $250 for each year you work there. The second year, I got a $400 bonus with a letter saying you get $200 plus an additional $200 for each year you work there. The third year I got a $200 bonus with a letter saying they were very lucky we did well enough to allow giving this bonus but gosh we're not obligated to or anything.

The fourth year I got one of the mugs we give out for free at trade shows, and a letter saying how great a year we had. The fifth year I got nothing.

Lol this has the exact rhythm of a Simpsons joke. Like, for the sixth year I expect you to get crushed into a cube

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’ve never gotten a bonus at any job I’ve had so cry more

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

indigi posted:

It's obviously a first world problem, but a lot of people factor bonus expectations into their job decisions - even for fairly modestly-paying jobs - so it does kinda suck that they can be arbitrarily rescinded like that

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's obviously a first world problem, but a lot of people factor bonus expectations into their job decisions - even for fairly modestly-paying jobs - so it does kinda suck that they can be arbitrarily rescinded like that

That's why you always negotiate on base pay, not any "bonus" crap they try to throw at you to take a lower rate. They'll yank that poo poo away ASAP, whereas it's a lot more taboo (though certainly not unheard of) to cut somebody's pay.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kreeblah posted:

That's why you always negotiate on base pay, not any "bonus" crap they try to throw at you to take a lower rate. They'll yank that poo poo away ASAP, whereas it's a lot more taboo (though certainly not unheard of) to cut somebody's pay.

100%

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

EDIT: loving stupid sites trying to stop copy/paste.

I assume the implication is that they're fired if they don't. But if a company with a ludricrous valuation like that is suddenly demanding a bail-in and hitting up employees for cash, how do you not understand the jig is up and you're not getting a bonus no matter how much money you give them?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

Suite gig, if you can get it.

You don't understand. The country had just ENDURED a TRAGEDY. People weren't buying like they used to

The added bonus LOL on this one is that this was the year that Coopers & Lybrand, probably the best known accounting firm in the US at the time, got busted for pumping up the value of companies they assessed so they could have huge IPOs. Which deeply poisoned our IPO and caused them to kind of go dark for a few months until they merged with Price Waterhouse. This was kind of a big deal back then, that a firm hired as everyone's accountant was auditing in the front and promoting client firms with false information out the back.

.... something something Sarbanes-Oxley something ...

petit choux has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Sep 21, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

i am harry posted:

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

Haha "I gave him the wrong finger!"

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

skooma512 posted:

I assume the implication is that they're fired if they don't. But if a company with a ludricrous valuation like that is suddenly demanding a bail-in and hitting up employees for cash, how do you not understand the jig is up and you're not getting a bonus no matter how much money you give them?

I assume that not participating in this scheme will have a negative impact on your ~Social Score~

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

I get a $50 Christmas bonus from one of my jobs. pretty sweet.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/absquigglebot/status/1440339035810000901

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheEbonyMaw/status/1439633004641636362

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Don't forget to like and subscribe!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Haha "I gave him the wrong finger!"

I don't remember this line from the movie. Is it when he's flipping off the rednecks?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

jetz0r posted:

In some parts of the world those also have loudspeakers playing super annoying advertising jingles on loop.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
just wait until you see the boat ones

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

or the airplanes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just wait till Elon puts it in space

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
if you ain't seein advertisements all day every day are you even alive?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't remember this line from the movie. Is it when he's flipping off the rednecks?

....in a stunning display of early senility , I managed to conflate Richard Pryor in Moving flipping off his boss with Chevy Chase flipping out about his boss in NLCV. I have no real explanation for this momentary lapse in reality...2 80s comedians having emotional meltdowns about their bosses but otherwise no connection.

Good movie tho :confuoot:

Serf
May 5, 2011

i was once given a "bonus" at my first job. my boss told me "don't spend it all at once" a week beforehand like it would be a decent amount and then i got a $10 amazon gift card

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was with one job where we got a piddly cash bonus for Christmas, then the next year we got an even piddlier cash bonus, then the next year we got a Target gift card, then the next year we got nothing.

And we were all grateful for even the tiniest crumbs from the table of our corporate masters.