Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Starting my churn with the core box. This is gonna take a while.

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/1UTA1xV.jpg[timg]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'm bad at remembering to take pics during events when I run them. But here's what I have:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Wait, was there a big announcement on the last day that I missed? Or was it the legion announcement poo poo

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

S.J. posted:

Wait, was there a big announcement on the last day that I missed? Or was it the legion announcement poo poo

A huge one, yeah.

Text summary: https://acrossthebifrost.com/2021/09/11/the-future-of-marvel-crisis-protocol/

Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X35Cc7JhEOg

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Uhh, I thought that stuff got announced on the 2nd to last day? We were already talking about it. My bad if I got the dates wrong

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

Uhh, I thought that stuff got announced on the 2nd to last day? We were already talking about it. My bad if I got the dates wrong

First day was Hulkbuster/Ms Marvel, second day was the new Mutant releases, this stuff was the third and final day

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CaptCommy posted:

First day was Hulkbuster/Ms Marvel, second day was the new Mutant releases, this stuff was the third and final day

Cool I just got the days mixed up

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Still have some stuff I'm selling off if anybody is interested

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978312&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Is there a way to pick up cards from the core set other than ebay? I can get the dice/rulers separately and tokens 3rd party but I don't particularly care for the minis in the core set.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

chippocrates posted:

Is there a way to pick up cards from the core set other than ebay? I can get the dice/rulers separately and tokens 3rd party but I don't particularly care for the minis in the core set.

I mean they're doing what seems to be new minis in pairs (we've seen Doc Ock vs. Spidey at least) with the same cards, IIRC.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chippocrates posted:

just ebay afaik, though if you'd like to print them out and make them the same size as the other cards, check http://www.mcpdb.com/ since they have fairly good quality scans of every character/tactic/crisis card

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I believe they also announced that the early cards are getting revamped and rereleased, first online and later as an 'update pack' if you want physical cards. That's a little further down the road, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I've been watching a lot of tier list and tactic videos and like to pass the time and I'm curious, mostly because I haven't really gotten everything down, as to why Gamora's considered bad or at least below average.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dawgstar posted:

So I've been watching a lot of tier list and tactic videos and like to pass the time and I'm curious, mostly because I haven't really gotten everything down, as to why Gamora's considered bad or at least below average.

It's not really that she's bad, it's more that all she does is hit people. She's in the 4-cost slot, which is incredibly competitive, and just doesn't really bring enough to the table for competitive teams to take her over the staples for that price.

It might be different if the GotG affiliation wasn't complete crap, but alas.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

the competitive meta tier lists for this game pretty much slot more than half the characters in the game as "poo poo" on a routine basis and it's tiring to see those videos since they're not really correct in some of the harsher reviews; I swear I've seen this one guy make 2 vids a month from each other where he magically decided like a dozen characters were now somehow worse than before lol. I'm guessing a lot of the meta will be changing though, especially with the updates to many characters.

AMG has been routinely previewing some new updates randomly on streams---Green Goblin just received some changes: increase to Str 5 on Pumpkin Bombs, Affiliation bonus is now free, and increase to Str 6 on Pumpkin Bombs on Injured side. Some small but really good changes for him, especially for the Spider-Foe affiliation.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Just got some models to work on until I get the core box on my next paycheck. Got Taskmaster and Punisher, I wanted to do up Thanos first but my local game shop was charging a solid $15 higher than MSRP and gently caress that honestly. I'm not worried about min maxing perfect comp list poo poo for either of these guys, I just got em cuz they're cool, but are they any good on the table?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

She does good damage and that's it, and falls over if anyone so much as looks at her.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

HebrewMagic posted:

Just got some models to work on until I get the core box on my next paycheck. Got Taskmaster and Punisher, I wanted to do up Thanos first but my local game shop was charging a solid $15 higher than MSRP and gently caress that honestly. I'm not worried about min maxing perfect comp list poo poo for either of these guys, I just got em cuz they're cool, but are they any good on the table?

They're fine, nothing really special. I'd like to try Punisher in a Sam Wilson Avengers list as another bonus to people getting dazed.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, Punisher works best if you have a 'wide' list where you expect / can handle a number of your models to get dazed. His war zone ability is situationally useful. He's kinda power hungry for mediocre output, though. His tactics card (Blood Red And Personal) can get you over the line, extra VP is never bad.

Taskmaster can be a pain in the arse to get rid of.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HebrewMagic posted:

Punisher, as said here, has a good tactic card that can push you over the edge. He's a good 3-threat sniper on the board and if you're dealing with terrain-focused characters who throw/create terrain like Magneto/Hulks/etc, War Zone is a great power to turn it against them.

Taskmaster, for a 3-threat guy, has a shitload of different tools and can be slotted into any Affiliation due to his rogue agent designation. For the threat level price they carry, Punisher/Taskmaster have great value and can be put into a lot of team compositions.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I wouldn't take these much past face value. There are a handful of characters I wouldn't advise using, but just about everyone is good to some degree. I also find some low ranked characters in these videos popular in my meta.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Slandible posted:

I wouldn't take these much past face value. There are a handful of characters I wouldn't advise using, but just about everyone is good to some degree. I also find some low ranked characters in these videos popular in my meta.

Gamora is definitely one of the worst characters in the game, almost like objectively so. But the cool thing about MCP is the power band is remarkably narrow, so even bad characters can still put in good work. Definitely an adjustment from a lot of other minis games, but bad means something quite different here in MCP

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

CaptCommy posted:

Gamora is definitely one of the worst characters in the game, almost like objectively so. But the cool thing about MCP is the power band is remarkably narrow, so even bad characters can still put in good work. Definitely an adjustment from a lot of other minis games, but bad means something quite different here in MCP

That's a weird way to spell "Bullseye." ;)

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Feeple posted:

That's a weird way to spell "Bullseye." ;)

Hey, I said "one of". There's a few other characters also partying around at the bottom of the barrel (Ultron, Ebony Maw)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bullseye is def the worst character in the game but considering how he's been a punching bag for Daredevil and getting his poo poo kicked in for years, the twerp deserves it.

Ultron badly needs an upgraded card, hosed up how ULTRON is so unconceivably lame.

Apparently the next wave of mystic stuff (Strange/Clea and Hood/Voodoo) are launching tomorrow in the UK. I decided to take a gamble and try preordering the Voodoo/Hood pack to see if they are actually releasing that day.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Spent too much time on this, and for my troubles had Magneto throw it and murder Domino in my first game using it. But it's nice to get something done at least!

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Very nice, excellent weathering.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I have managed to persuade my friend into picking up this game and I have heard several characters are getting a card update along with a card pack to be released later in the year. Is there a release date for all the new changes and which specific characters? I have heard and read everything from core box only to the first 50 characters they released are getting tweaks. Hence my confusion.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hoboskins posted:

I have managed to persuade my friend into picking up this game and I have heard several characters are getting a card update along with a card pack to be released later in the year. Is there a release date for all the new changes and which specific characters? I have heard and read everything from core box only to the first 50 characters they released are getting tweaks. Hence my confusion.

neither of these are true--nobody knows how many characters are getting an update. Thus far, we've seen MODOK/Shuri nerfed while Green Goblin, Captain America, and Hulk have gotten buffs---only one of those are core box and it doesn't seem like the core Ock/Spidey are getting updated cards.

Updated cards are likely to be in a pack at the start of next year, though there are still some printable ones getting previewed randomly here and there + will have free printouts when they're all done. https://acrossthebifrost.com/ has a few of them in some blog posts. With the same supplies and shipping have been completely hosed for the rest of 2021, no clue on what the release schedule for the cards will definitively be, though.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

neither of these are true--nobody knows how many characters are getting an update. Thus far, we've seen MODOK/Shuri nerfed while Green Goblin, Captain America, and Hulk have gotten buffs---only one of those are core box and it doesn't seem like the core Ock/Spidey are getting updated cards.

Updated cards are likely to be in a pack at the start of next year, though there are still some printable ones getting previewed randomly here and there + will have free printouts when they're all done. https://acrossthebifrost.com/ has a few of them in some blog posts. With the same supplies and shipping have been completely hosed for the rest of 2021, no clue on what the release schedule for the cards will definitively be, though.

They're also all posted to http://mcpdb.acrossthebifrost.com/ if you wanna see em in one place

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Caught up just in time for the Convocation wave to hit next week.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

KingMob posted:

I love your painting. What are you using for yellow on your x-men?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Thanks! For any bright yellow, I use all Vallejo Model Color: base of Ochre Brown, highlighted up with many layers of Deep Yellow and then adding some White for the final highlights.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KingMob posted:

Super good as always man.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I ran a MCP tourney at the Michigan GT, a local but fast growing minis convention this past weekend. It's primary focus is on GW games naturally, but there's a nice assortment of others.

I'm bad at remembering to take pics, but here's what I got:

We had 12 players total after a few no shows (meaning I couldn't play the bye, booo). So nothing huge, but the event linked up a lot of the localized groups. I'm expecting to see more guys traveling back and forth for other events, and next year will likely be much bigger. We also got a lot of looky loos thanks to running fully painted lists on fully painted terrain. This was by far the easiest event I've ever run, nice and chill compared to the hardcore competitive edge I saw with other games. I came out of it more excited to play, which is always a good sign. A++ would mandolly again.

Edit in case anyone's curious, top list was Sam Wilson dude spam run by a very good player who also got extremely lucky (as in his Hawkeye does 20 damage across two turns type poo poo). Wakanda came in second. There was a wide variety of affiliations.Many of the games came down to the wire and probably half the field could have won it if dice went their way a little more.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 11, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Sanctum Sanctorum looks really good.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
so this is where all my postin' buddies went to. I've been checking this out and got a demo game on TTS. it's honestly a lot slicker than I thought it would be

what's the best way to get into the game? starter set and pick up some heroes to expand out? I tend to prefer bad dudes but I saw upthread that Venom was hard to snag

is there a discord?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

so this is where all my postin' buddies went to. I've been checking this out and got a demo game on TTS. it's honestly a lot slicker than I thought it would be

what's the best way to get into the game? starter set and pick up some heroes to expand out? I tend to prefer bad dudes but I saw upthread that Venom was hard to snag

is there a discord?

I would definitely start with the starter, it's kind of an insane value considering how many minis/terrain pieces/other stuff is in there. From there you can very much just pick up a box of two of what looks cool or start looking at an affiliation.

Also, there is roughly one million discords but here's the big uns.

Here's the most-general one, highest population but is kind of all over the place as far as quality of discussion goes:
https://discord.gg/UxyTtB4Mzy

Here's one specifically around finding games/events/leagues in TTS that also has general chatter:
https://discord.gg/t9jyufD

And I'm contractually obligated to mention the one for my podcast/crew that's mostly people who used to play Guild Ball but now play MCP. Obviously gonna be biased but I think this is a particularly great group of folks:
https://discord.gg/Z2tpCwRNHz

Oh, and said podcast can be found here. You can listen to us have big brained thoughts about little miniatures: https://strictlytheworst.libsyn.com/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

is there a discord?

Heh, I just picked this up not too long ago myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

golden rule for starting out is

1) get the starter box
2) get whoever else looks cool to you

you can use http://www.mcpdb.com/ to look at character cards as well to see the powers/stats of all the characters to inform your purchasing decisions. Most of the time you can always find the packs you want, if not on miniature shops then ebay almost always has them for same price.