Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blairism with Islington Characteristics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've postponed my wedding twice, 2 years in total. People ask "oh that's tough isn't it?" and I'm like "no, it's just delaying a big party because lots of people are dying at the moment, it's fine actually"

Better safe than sorry for sure, wishing you an early happy wedding day! (saying ''premature'' sounded wrong). :cheersbird:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Skull Servant posted:

Blairism with Islington Characteristics.

The Labour Party (Blairist-Corbynist)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Better safe than sorry for sure, wishing you an early happy wedding day! (saying ''premature'' sounded wrong). :cheersbird:

Cheers man, won't be til next October so a while to go yet. Though the previous date was Oct 30th so we're going to have a small 🎃 house party/Wedding Funeral which is as good a reason to get pissed as any

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
So, why did Boris Johnson decide his trip to the White House during the U.N. annual meeting was the time to announce his secret child?

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1440375951603298305
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1440363969881927689

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just trying to flex on Biden I spose

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

So, why did Boris Johnson decide his trip to the White House during the U.N. annual meeting was the time to announce his secret child?

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1440375951603298305
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1440363969881927689

I thought he had seven kids?

I swear this deadpool is getting bigger every year. :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There's a Met detective on Bakeoff this year so 5 minutes into the first episode I've identified my season enemy

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
When you think about how much money he must pay on child support its no wonder he doesn't think £150,000 is that much money.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's a Met detective on Bakeoff this year so 5 minutes into the first episode I've identified my season enemy

Given their propensity for forgetting to turn on their equipment there's every chance he'll end up not switching his oven on and get eliminated. fingers crossed

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
His soufflés will be poo poo, how he’s going to stop himself beating the egg whites?

:lol: as if he’d beat the whites

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He'll probably fail at the Caribbean Black cake. Not because you have to start it three months in advance, but because you can't stop it without good reason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Well, it's a woman, so you've all outed yourselves as massive chauvinists. So far her swiss rolls were shite, don't worry I'll keep the thread updated even if noone gives a poo poo

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well, it's a woman, so you've all outed yourselves as massive chauvinists. So far her swiss rolls were shite, don't worry I'll keep the thread updated even if noone gives a poo poo

I’m half watching it, but it’s fallen into the trap over the last three or four seasons of having to increase the jeopardy so that the ads have something to concentrate on and it’s really loving dull now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cops are not going to be happy with the double jeopardy rule.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

I’m half watching it, but it’s fallen into the trap over the last three or four seasons of having to increase the jeopardy so that the ads have something to concentrate on and it’s really loving dull now.

It's been dogshit since it left BBC. At least the Beeb had the money to go visit the different places where the specialty cakes come from and learn some cake history.

I'll still keep watching that garbage tho

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's DCFADP Day you slackers (if my Facebook memories are accurate)

:mrapig:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

It's DCFADP Day you slackers (if my Facebook memories are accurate)

:mrapig:

Can't believe Earth Wind and Fire wrote a smash hit song about Cameron getting his hogshead

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The cop also made a bad malt loaf so I think she's probably going home.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

flip back to leftist publications during peak Ed Miliband Labour (both Labour-affiliated or not) and observe that nobody foresees anything like Corbynism as a possibility. Moderate lefties advocate local programmes and ad-hoc initiatives. Frothy lefties advocate Red Monday, same as always. Certainly nobody advocates positioning oneself as anticapitalist but only moderately so - to argue for a balanced budget as a point of discipline, to reject calls for council budget stunts - but still also embrace the hope of revolutionary change. Not immediately, but in the abstract future

it was really a genuine branding change! I feel like this is underappreciated sometimes. (the ideological programme did coalesce subsequently - recall that Corbynism putzed about with the economy advisory committee etc first)

I think a different - and I suspect much more accurate - reason why nobody was talking about it was it was still the ground state against which any pamphleteer wishes to show a contrast. The Corbyn manifestos were really just mildly-updated versions of the Bevan side of the post-war compromise - take out renationalising the coal mines and steel mills for unfortunately obvious reasons, replace them with pledges to create new wind turbine factories. Nobody was talking about this as a platform because the Right of the party still believe "Tories, but less so" is the only route to power (either through naivety or enlightened self-interest) and the Left of the party weren't expecting being near power so had to ration what little political capital they had in individual battles against foreign policy rather than domestic, while the harder left, purged in the 80s and 90s, had no real reason to advocate parliamentary solutions to problems.

Given *Corbyn* didn't expect to be leader until they counted the votes, it's perhaps not surprising that the first year or so was spent flailing and grabbing at straws being proferred by the Right - but also that McDonnell spent the first year blanking Blanchflower et. al. until they stropped off (and briefed hard against him in the lead up to the Chicken Coup).

If I believed Johnson had a political agenda rather than simply following the path of least resistance, I'd call it the Tory equivalent of Corbynism - a return to a hazily-defined but strongly-felt "traditional" Conservatism - the sort of flag-waving, throwing threepenny bits from the Bentley to the local tykes, "jolly hard workers if they have white leadership" Tory that everyone assumed Thatcher had obliterated, and it's having similarly discombobulating effects on Tory thinkers as Corbynism because they've gotten so used to the incredibly narrow parameters of post-1997 British politics.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Apropos of nothing, here's a cool classic comic :dukedog:

Link to original page

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ha ha! Swiss Roll is slang for bum hole.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Update: the cop has managed to beat a nice man with a model train shop.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That guy sucked tho tbf. But Jürgen, he is a very happy Jürgen indeed :3:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If I believed Johnson had a political agenda rather than simply following the path of least resistance, I'd call it the Tory equivalent of Corbynism - a return to a hazily-defined but strongly-felt "traditional" Conservatism - the sort of flag-waving, throwing threepenny bits from the Bentley to the local tykes, "jolly hard workers if they have white leadership" Tory that everyone assumed Thatcher had obliterated, and it's having similarly discombobulating effects on Tory thinkers as Corbynism because they've gotten so used to the incredibly narrow parameters of post-1997 British politics.

Hm, I don't get what this means. What "Tory thinkers" [sic]? What discombobulating effects?

Didn't all the tories fall in line as soon as Johnson kicked the moderates (those who didn't vote for his insane hardest-ever Brexit) out of the party? I mean I guess those moderates still are alive, technically, but... who gives a poo poo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume that would be in reference to the people losing their minds about the tax raises.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the Left of the party weren't expecting being near power so had to ration what little political capital they had in individual battles against foreign policy rather than domestic
I still wonder if that was a mistake given that the domestic policies like public utilities and a national investment bank and common grounds trusts and building more industry seemed to go over better with the general electorate than perceived internationalism.

The Question IRL posted:

Ha ha! Swiss Roll is slang for bum hole.
Bad slang imo, people enjoy eating rear end.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

That guy sucked tho tbf. But Jürgen, he is a very happy Jürgen indeed :3:

Yeah the man from tiny train world was indeed bad at cakes, and also making a model which really should have been his strong suit

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

usually they beat people with batons

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

usually they beat people with batons

French bread week is next episode too

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

urghm urghpen the pod bay doors, jeremy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol just saw the full BBC graphic and it's incredible, Red Ed and Red Jez bathed in blood red, corncobbing in the background while the Great Pinkish Hope gurns for the camera , stage left.

Surprised they didn't Photoshop in a big ushanka on to Jez like the last time

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
What the gently caress is that facial expression?
It's like Tesla designed a robot to mimic human expressions

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

ugh ugh ugh one load off wut uggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSW1LI4dClY&t=72s

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

kingturnip posted:

It's like Tesla designed a robot to mimic human expressions

It's an electrochemistry check in the bathroom mirror to try and change it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Getting that many eggs for a quid was a way better deal than Starmer. We're being harsh on wet eggs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Hm, I don't get what this means. What "Tory thinkers" [sic]? What discombobulating effects?

Didn't all the tories fall in line as soon as Johnson kicked the moderates (those who didn't vote for his insane hardest-ever Brexit) out of the party? I mean I guess those moderates still are alive, technically, but... who gives a poo poo?

All of the ones screaming that he's gone full Turbostalin because of the NI increase, even though pre-Thatcher Tories were forever tinkering with tax rates. Even Thatcher increased employee NI contributions multiple times as a stealthy tax rise to make the numbers look better (and possibly because it hosed over labour-intensive industries considerably more than it did the booming financial sector).

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This is way better than Starmer.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I do, I don’t watch bake off but I absolutely love hearing about cops having their hopes and dreams destroyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
drat

Someone fired 3 gunshots just across the street from where I live about 15 mins ago and I believe someone has been murdered